Predictions Divided on Theodore Roosevelt ATB 5-Oz. Uncirculated Silver

tr

It’s the eve of the release of the 5-ounce America the Beautiful Theodore Roosevelt National Park Uncirculated coins, and collector opinions as to how the coins will sell are varied. In the big silver discs’ corner is their design, which has been well received in comment threads across the Internet. Collectors who have never purchased the Uncirculated 5-ounce issues are showing an interest in seeing the quarter-dollar design in a larger, more beautifully struck format.

In the opposite corner, however, is a heavy, stoop-shouldered lug called product fatigue. At this point in the year, many buyers have expended all the enthusiasm and money they had to spare for Mint products: silver Proofs, gold and silver commemoratives, the American Liberty silver medal, gold and silver American Eagles (including the 30th-anniversary silver Proof), gold Buffalos, platinum Eagle Proofs, bullion and Uncirculated silver “pucks” from the ATB program—with still more to be released over the final quarter of 2016. And that’s not even counting the year’s collector offerings, like the Reagan Coin & Chronicles Set debuting on October 11.

A sample of the comments from Mint News Blog:

“Looks like I’ll [have] to put on my brawling gear Thursday… I think this thing will go quickly.”—Throckmorton

“No limits on this item, sellout ‘maybe’ good design, popular subject, the bullion ones are selling marginally…increased mintage limits have affected this market & ‘legs’ on both issues.”—John Q. Coinage

“Now as I am in the camp that the Roosevelt P puck will not sell out very fast…if at all…pre-sales are a good indicator of interest. If you do an eBay search on 2016 Roosevelt 5 oz,…you only get 23 listings…only one is for the unc p version….10 available at 195.95 and none have sold.”—Steve

“The TR will be the most popular 5 oz. ever and sellout quickly bringing new life back to the series.”—Rob

The Mint will begin taking orders at noon tomorrow. There is no household order limit; the current price is $149.95, subject to change depending on the bullion market. (At the time of the Mint’s announcement, silver was $19.35 per ounce, according to the London Bullion Market Association; as of this posting it is down a bit, at $17.80 per ounce.)

The “potential maximum” mintage limit for the coins is 30,000, but the Mint may produce and sell more than 120,000 of the coins, provided the total for the numismatic and bullion editions does not exceed 150,000. As of Friday, October 2, some 30,500 Theodore Roosevelt National Park bullion strikes had been sold.

To order the silver Uncirculated 5-ounce coins directly from the United States Mint, click here.

Comments

1. earthling says

TNDuckhunter

Im trying to withdraw from this bad Numis Monkey that has attached itself to my back. I work in the Auto Industry and it’s a mind destroying occupation at times. I used to order tons of junk while at work just to amuse myself.

Now I’m thinking about retiring, maybe as soon as a year from now. I don’t think I want to stay in MI – this entire State is in really bad shape. I like to think of it as a 3rd World Country. Anyway, I sure as h*ll dont need every piece of junk the Mint puts out. Trying to “divest” the stuff I already have will be a job.

I do remember the Hawaiian Puck well. I had decided the design was really cool, it seemed to capture the motion of exploding lava very well, I thought. Like you I was holding off a bit for Silver to drop and they slammed the door with no warning at all. So we got shut out. Nothing new for me. I hesitated on a lot of things in my life and have gotten shut out. I also have gotten lucky on a few things.

This job, despite it being such a pain, is about the best thing I ever got into. It sucks, most of the time, but the money is OK. Too bad I can’t move into a more challenging area but when you’re stuck in a cesspool you just try to keep your head above the stuff.

2. gatortreke says

Goat asks: The big question is what is the best way if we go into a cashless society ? Old gold/silver ? Bullion/proof gold/silver ? New gold/silver ? Or just any gold/silver that has weight/value amount with low premium to spot ? Sell all high premium and buy low premium for quantity ?

I’ll venture an answer but I’m the first to admit the future is cloudy to me.

The first thing I must do is invoke Gresham’s Law, i.e., bad money drives out good. In the case of a cashless society, what do I imagine is the good money? I’d venture precious metals of any sort would be considered good money, thus none of it would circulate as it would be too valuable. PM’s would be reserved for only must have items or emergencies and if used, the lowest form would be as good as MS state coins so old, pre1964 would be sufficient for emergency circumstances. The good thing is this is the cheapest form to acquire at this time and they are all still readily recognizable to most as U.S. money.

I think good (I use this term figuratively) old FRN cash would have value and thus would see limited circulation similar to PM’s. Th e positive is this is cheap to acquire before an emergency. All it requires is for someone to save it now but given America’s poor saving habits and high indebtedness, it is hard for me imagine many doing so so what is saved and held by the public would have increased value.

That leads to what would circulate in place of cash if cashlessness were forced upon us. Umm, perhaps beanie babies or cabbage patch dolls? I really don’t know but I do know people are creative and resourceful so I have no doubt something would come to the fore. Heck, people used encased postage stamps during the Civil War and we’ve seen hard time tokens, wampum, etc… used at other times. I believe Zimbabwe used gas cards and/or cell phone minutes as currency during their hyper inflation crisis. The point is, something would be used and accepted.

So , where does this leave me? Right now I am slowly acquiring pre-1964 PM coins as well as bullion coins and greenbacks but I am also open to other suggestions, I am not wedded to just these forms. I’ve considered diamonds as these have been used by people in the past but I know nothing of them and can’t honestly tell you I can distinguish a real diamond from a zirconium fake. This is a slow process but one I started several years ago so I now have a little (very little) diversification. I am not one of those who believe the world will end but I am also cognizant enough of past tribulations that disrupted people’s lives tremendously, therefore diversification can’t hurt, in this case slowly diversifying part of my financial asset base away from just electrons at the bank or mutual fund company to something more tangible in nature.

I’m interested in hearing more thoughts on this matter.

3. DBR says

As far as being on topic, I can only say that I retuned to collecting way after the 5 oz. ATB quarter pucks emerged so I don’t collect them. I will say this though, I agree with one post here that said people just don’t know about them. They really showcase the coin’s design amazingly. I’d never seen a puck until I went this year to the World’s Fair of Money in Anaheim. The pucks are impressive as are the 3 inch medals. The photos and online images don’t do them justice.

They just don’t fit my idea of a coin, however, and seem like art objects or other household items like paperweights. If you want to appreciate ATB designs though the 5 oz pucks seem to be the way to go.

As far as a cashless society goes, I don’t see any nation on earth that has the stability and credibility (not to mention the legitimacy) to expect to enact such a dramatic change and have the country’s citizenry accept it.

No one’s government or economy is that stable or sound. But the futurist dreamers will always push a cashless society. It must be in their minds an idea whose time has come. I hope not. Sounds like a get rich scam for corrupt leaders who’d like to implement it. Beware of those who have an unlimited love affair of “the new.”

When currencies collapse and the governments fall with them, all the elites I’ve ever studied in history needed things that had value: precious metals, gems, and land. Of course as mentioned here in the blog before: food and water are very precious cuz ya can’t eat gold.

Why does the movie Dune come to mind? “He who controls the Spice controls the Universe!!!”

4. earthling says

Didn’t the fledgling America feel overtaxed overwhelmed and overly enslaved by Great Britain to the point of armed rebellion? Well I’m beginning to feel like someone or something is beginning to exercise way too much of that type of control once again. It’s not Great Britain this time. Who is it? What is it? Why is it?

5. MT says

Some noteworthy updates to the product release schedule:

NOV 17: Walking Liberty 2016 Centennial Gold Coin
    NOV 25: Limited Edition Silver Proof Set 2016
    NOV 29: Congratulations Set 2016

(Still TBD are the American Eagle 2016 One Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin and
    the Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set 2016.)

6. Erik H says

Cashless system, if you’re picking up 90% US don’t forget we live in a global economy. Why not look into foreign .925 silver too? I like 10 & 50 French Francs (25g & 30 g 90% silver) along with others. Lots of cool designs out there for melt or slightly more. Go to your LCS & shows to find stuff priced when silver was cheaper.

7. Asherspapa says

Looks like the TR Puck cynics were right–as of this morning, it’s still available.

8. cagcrisp says

@MT, Thanks for the dates.

140 days between dime and quarter
    70 days between quarter and half

More money, less time.

hmmm…

Now we will see if there truly is Product Fatigue…

9. cagcrisp says

Those that want in better get in. The Mintage and HHL will be announced within a couple of weeks ( or so I’ve been told)…

Guesstimates for Mintage and HHL for the Walking Liberty Half
    The Real “Cool” Brad 90,000/5
    gatortreke 80,000/2
    Vancer 80,000/1
    Dustyroads 75,000/1
    ike 50,000/1

10. cagcrisp says

As far as the TR P puck is concerned, I still think you guys are too Early on writing off the mintage. IF you were afraid of a SO, you went the Enrollment route.

…SO before writing off, wait and see what the Enrollment’s + Launch Day were.

You will know soon enough…

11. Felson says

I did the enrollment for the TR puck. I figured I have a hard enough time getting the mints website to work when the popular products are released and I can avoid that by enrolling for this coin, so why not.

I’d be happy if the mint allowed enrolling for the upcoming WLH and save me the 20 minutes it will take to purchase it. That is if I’ll be able to do so…

12. Sith says

@Eric H – The problem with that is will a layman accept foreign silver? I have some Canadian junk silver, but most of it is US junk silver. If your looking to sell it once the price of silver recovers, and you can get it cheap…

13. Indydude says

WLH released same day as the release ceremony for the Fort Moultrie quarter in South Carolina. I will not be attending as I am all out of vacation for the year.

14. Erik H says

Sith, I travel the world and do know were I will be when SHTF or where I might want to go. What is recognize here may not be recognized there. My phone is book marked to a site that shows melt values of all world coins in USD (might be away to change to other currencies). Somebody talked about diversification in a cashless situation, this is one way if you think that maps/boarders could change. I’m sure I’ll be able to find a money changer wherever I go, profit always motivates.

Either way I’m a collector and the history behind some coins whose countries no longer exists is interesting too (and it’s a lot cheaper than brand new US Mint offerings).

15. cagcrisp says

I see where the Austrian mint is coming out with glow in the dark animal coins to attract kids.

That tells you a thing about where the world is going and to what extent Mints will go to attract new blood.

I know some think this is a good thing.

It tells me you don’t need to stray too far from Bullion…

16. earthling says

Whatever happened with Jade Helm 15 , which was some sort of Exercise in the South from Florida to Texas? There was a little in the national press about it but then it was as if the lid was slammed shut on it. Anyone living in the areas hear anything? See anything?

1984 happened a long time ago. Big Brother wants into our money system now.

Next thing you know, the Nazi SS will rise up again. Or …. are they already here?

17. Ron says

@earthling says :
    October 7, 2016 at 11:18 am

I don’t recall if it was Jade Helm 15 but a couple of years ago we had helicopters and military personnel attacking our harbor bridge that goes over the ship channel to our port and they (police and military) shut down the Interstate leading to it, until the operation was over. I also use to work with a guy who wrote a blog about the government, he ended up getting fired and his blog was watched by the powers that be. (South Texas)

18. earthling says

Jade Helm 15 took place last year in about July or August. It got my curiosity going because supposedly the locals were have meetings with their local Governments about it. Rumors said it was training for a disaster scenario from a Comet or Asteroid hit. Others said it was training for the imposition of Marshall Law over some sort of mass uprising .

19. DaytonKen says

I recently received 2 ATB 5 oz. TR quarters (16AM) and both have slight offset reverse images with a raised edge around the right side. Has anybody else observed this on their coins?

20. Mint News Blog says

Hah! I just saw this. I have a friend who sells industrial cleaning products to food-processing facilities. Maybe he needs to lay in a supply of Morgan dollars. 😉