Preliminary Details of Theodore Roosevelt Coin and Chronicles Set

I have been able to obtain some preliminary details on the Theodore Roosevelt Coin and Chronicles Set mentioned in a post earlier this week. Each set will include one coin and two medals, with one of the medals representing a special first time offering.

Theodore Roosevelt proof Dollar

The coin included in the set will be a proof quality 2013-S Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Dollar struck at the San Francisco Mint.

This coin has previously been released within the 2013 Proof Set and 2013 Presidential Dollars Proof Set.

NWRS Bronze Medal

The first medal included in the set will be a 1.5-inch bronze Bald Eagle Medal from the National Wildlife Refuge System (NWRS) Centennial Medal Series.

Back in 2003, the United States Mint had released a series of 90% silver medals with a common obverse design featuring Theodore Roosevelt and four reverse designs featuring the bald eagle, elk, salmon, and canvasback duck. These limited mintage silver medals had sold out quickly, although they can now be found around the original issuance price.

To coincide with the release of the 90% silver medal, the US Mint also offered a 1.5 inch bronze version of the bald Eagle medal. This was sold individually priced at $4.50 per medal.

In 2008, the medal was available for a second time as part of a coin and medal set offered for the Bald Eagle Commemorative Coin Program. The set contained the uncirculated version of the 2008 Bald Eagle Silver Dollar and the NWRS Bald Eagle Bronze Medal. This set reached final sales of 26,918 units.

silver-medal

The second medal included in the Theodore Roosevelt Coin and Chronicles Set will be a one ounce .999 silver Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Medal.

This medal has been widely available in bronze, but it has never been offered in .999 silver. I have created the image above based on the bronze version. The US Mint has not yet released an image of the new silver version.

The upcoming Coin and Chronicles Set will be completed with a print honoring Roosevelt’s military service and a booklet with educational information highlighting his legacy as a soldier, statesman, and conversationalist.

According to the US Mint, the set “will be available until sold out”. It is unclear if there will be a mintage or ordering limits imposed. The pricing is also not yet finalized. The product schedule lists a release date of December 17, 2013.

Comments

1. jj says

“I think our coinage is artistically of atrocious hideousness. Would it be possible, without asking permission of Congress, to employ a man like Saint-Gaudens to give us a coinage that would have some beauty?”

yea, roosevelt said that…and we get a few do-overs to celebrate his honor? gee, thanks mint. needless to say, i’ll pass on this set.

2. Jeff says

Same here jj run of the mill attempt at best you go mint keep pumping out these less impressive coins, waste of time

3. oldfolkie says

Teddy is truly my favorite president and I’m not enthused by this at all, I’d have rather seen something new, creative and artistic to honor such a man. Rehashing old designs is not showing the respect deserved.

4. VABEACHBUM says

Thanks for the update and the additional information, Michael. I do agree that “available until sold out” is somewhat misleading. But, given that the previous type, C&C Sets have had populations in the 50K range, I would hope that this one would be similar. We might actually get to see the insides of that virtual Waiting Room!!

@ jj – I don’t disagree with your sentiments, as I, too, had envisioned several similar possibilities for this commemoration. Unfortunately, almost all previous C&C sets have contained rehashes with the occassional bonus prize. Still, I do like the idea of that TR Presidential Medal in 0.999 Silver. If available individually, it would make a nice addition to the 2003 NWRS Silver Medal Set I have in my collection. Given what Michael has describe, I see the price for this set starting in the range of $79 – $89.

5. jj says

yea, it is just frustrating. are zombucks the only innovative thing going right now? haha, kidding…but seriously i’m glad others see my point here. i’d rather save that $79-$89 and put it towards getting a decent 3-cent nickel or perhaps a couple shares of twitter? (sorry jeff, i couldn’t resist)

6. Brian says

I was hoping for a different finish on the dollar coin. That could have been a low mintage key to the presidential dollar series.

It does seem like a nice set though for collectors who are into the medals. I’m just not one of them.

7. Eddie says

On the bronze metal the Bald Eagle looks more like a Turkey than an eagle.
    Yeah it would have been great if The Mint did something different with the Dollar.
    At least they are going us 1 ounce of silver in the set but a silver dollar would have been great.

Clear out some old bronze medals sitting on the shelf, buy some blank silver planchets, polish off an old die, order some printing and valah! I like this for children to get them into coin collecting as a hobby say for a Holiday gift.

Yea, the body of the eagle is disproportionate with those big ol turkey legs. The legs looks like a set knickers with those feathers all puffed out.

The NWRS coin needs to be silver also and watch all scrape up the cash for this set! IMHO.

@VABB: My tracking number has been uploaded and info sent to fedex hybrid system and posted on Mint website. I usually get the auto email round 10 pm est.

OR even a 1.5 inch gold version and we would be in, IMHO…Past sales say this set is a loser, I will pass too..

Michael, as always, thanks for bringing us this information! The set looks like it’s going to be really outstanding. I am definitely scooping this one up on day one. I really wasn’t expecting this to have so many interesting things in it.

I have to admit to being somewhat puzzled by all the negative reactions to this set. I guess something like a silver version of the presidential dollar might have been nice but this still seems like a solid offering to me.

14. Zaz says

Any hint on pricing on the set…? 64.95? 69.95?
    I assume the components are going to cost less than the 5-Star Generals Profile set?

@Zaz – I would say that the price will be comparable to the 5 Star Generals set. Both sets have a silver coin/medal and a non – PM coin /medal.

16. Ray says

How rude of me. Thank you for getting and postin this info Michael!!!

I’m surprised anyone likes the set. Everyone who has posted alternatives to what the mint will be selling, mentioned coins, not medals. I collect coins and not medals. And I like new things, not over/re-productions via a different medium/metal. If this was coinage, I’d buy it. But itss mostly medals, and I’m passing.

Thanks again for this info Michael. I can quit my OCD over this and stop searching the web for obscure articles. Have agreat weekend all!!

People…people people… keep in mind the mint has to twerk with in the constraints they have available to them. There was no congressional order to create this set. The mint took it upon themselves to create a set and that means they work with what they have available.

I for one am actually quite happy with the conversion of the bronze medal to silver… although I am less than impressed with the actual medal. The reverse looks like it is missing a frame to me.

I think the part people are overlooking is the “chronicle” portion of this offering. I look forward to reading about “Teddy’s” adventures… and will gratefully spend my $79 on this set.

@Ray… I offered the medal up as an obvious choice recently.

The mint can’t create some of these things on their own – there are laws that restrict them, and laws that authorize them… coins have to be mandated.

19. Jerry Diekmann says

Looks like a winner. But I would like to note that when the Mint issued the eagle medal and coins in 2008, they could also have, if Congress had any idea or concern about history, issued a commemorative silver coin (with or without a clad half dollar and gold half eagle or eagle) in rememberance of the 150th anniversary of Teddy’s birth in 1858. What makes this lapse of recognition for one of our greatest presidents even more ironoc and appalling, is that the Mint only had ONE commemorative coin program in 2008. Like I have said before, logic flew out the window of the Capitol that year for sure.

On the bronze medal Obverse you have Teddy Roosevelt wearing his knickers. On the Reverse you have the bald eagle flying away, wearing Teddy’s stolen knickers. The silver medal should have had Teddy, standing in his tighty whities with rifle in hand, aiming at the eagle in an attempt to get them back. Yeah, not crazy about it but I’m probably in for one.

I’m also in for the silver medal. I’m not a medal collector, but I think it’s a cool looking one!

A really wonderful offering by the Mint! The portrait of TR on the Presidential dollar is very well executed & sculpted in coin relief (Too darn bad the golden dollars don’t circulate, but that’s another story entirely). I always liked the National Wildlife medal series and TR’s presidential medal in silver would be outstanding & an example of early 20th century medallic design. I believe that a new coin issue for the set (apart from the fact a new coin issue was never proposed or authorized for a special set) is just not necessary. This will be a big hit & a winner as a hallmark “Chronicles” item, IMHO.

23. VABEACHBUM says

@ ThePhelps – Actually, the Mint Director has the lattitude to create, manufacture and distribute coins based on their own initiative and without legislative direction. Mr. Moy used that opening as his basis to re-create the HR Double Eagle Gold Coin. If you read the history of that coin, you’ll see that the entire program was the result of his vision and love for numismatics. As I have said before, one of our biggest problems is the fact that the Mint has been operating under an Interim Director for nearly 4 years. Mr. Peterson hasn’t done a bad job, per se, but the nominee for Director was identified over a year ago, and nothing has happened since. Sadly, it’s been so long now, her name escapes me. But, if I recall, she’s more business and less numismatics, so probably not a huge improvement for our numismatic future.

@ FM – Thanks for the link. I always enjoy Dave Harper’s articles and blogs. Agree it’s worth the read.

@ VABob – I do love your honesty. Thanks for the visual and the laugh!! I just finished cleaning the last of the snortled coffee off my monitor!!

24. Nick says

FM – great article, it could have been longer, as I enjoyed reading it. It gives me perspective as a 21 yr old collector

25. Eddie says

I really never knew all that much about T R.until now. I like the one metal they a choose to be the 1 one silver in this set it really looks good but I really wished they had did something with the Dollar coin to make it different like enhanced or something that would set it apart from all of the rest of the dollars.to male it a one of a kind and a key to to the set.

26. Mark says

I knew he was a soldier and statesman, but I didn’t know Teddy was a great conversationalist, too.

IMO the key to this hobby is to have fun BUT also don’t throw away your cash. Be smart and like Rick from PAWN STARS says, the first thing he thinks when considering apurchase is “How easy will it be to sell”. On that note, this is a HOBBY and such,it should be fun,interesting, exciting, frustrating, challenging, and obviously, expensive!!

28. Jeff says

I’ll wait for the flea-bay sellers I only want one coin guess which one? You all can have the other metals for your collections.

Vabeach… I think that was a variation of an already approved coin wasn’t it? I mean they can and do vary the finish on many coins, such as the reverse proof etc… but they can’t arbitrarily create say… a new Liberty half dollar… unless directed through legislation. That is my understanding of the laws…

They had/have no authorization for a 2013 commemorative coin for Roosevelt other than the $1 coin and are assembling this set based on what they are authorized to make. The mint can freely manufacture medals without legislation “coins” require Congressional direction, and the mint can make them as long as they are the ones designated for distribution by congress. That is why they are looking to vary the Kennedy half next year – not a new coin but a different finish – to create a new collectors set. The coin itself will not be changed. (altho a caveat deserves to be inserted – since technically I think they can change the Kennedy half because of the age of the issue itself).

30. VABEACHBUM says

@ ThePhelps – You are correct, in that the Director cannot direct the creation of Commemoratives, nor new “circulating” coinage and the numismatic versions that might follow. Those are legislated. However, here are some excerpts from the 05/02/08 US Mint Press Release announcing the UHR Coin:

“The initial proposal by United States Mint Director Ed Moy to develop this 24-karat gold coin had also been authorized by Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson….. and is authorized under 31 U.S.C. § 5112(i)(4)(C), which allows the Secretary of the Treasury to prescribe program procedures and specifications for minting and issuing new gold coins. This provision also gives the Secretary the discretion to select each such coin’s designs, varieties, quantities, denomination, and inscriptions.”

Keep in mind that between 1933 and 1985, the US Mint did not have the authority to manufacture ANY gold or silver coins. So, while the UHR might be a re-creation of a previously issued Mint coin, the premise of the Code identified above is that the 2009 UHR will incorporate known and loved Mint designs onto “a new gold coin.”

After the “Year Without Numismatic ASE Coins” in 2009, caused by perceived Ag blank shortages and bullion allocations, additional legislative authorities in late 2009 and 2010 gave the Director the authority to manage numismatic coin productions, in types and finishes, as the Director deemed necessary. I would like to see the Director exercise that authority alot more often.

31. merryxmasmrscrooge says

My father told me all these silver products are from worthless junk silver bars of 1974-75 that cost $5 and nobody wanted. People would rather have a round peg than a square hole. So they melted the bars into ASEs, commems, silver Kennedys, State Qs, ATB Qs. This is a perfect example of if you have a lemon, make lemonade.

32. VARich says

What a pleasant surprise this morning, information on the long awaited TR set – much thanks Michael for bringing it here first.

thePhelps/VABB – appreciate the dialogue on what latitude the mint has at its discretion to produce what types of coins, variations, and related numismatic products. This set is already providing that education (for many of us on this blog) and it hasn’t been released yet. thePhelps – good call on the Refuge medal, think you get “first place” for all the predictions made over the past several weeks.

I wish more posters out here would offer constructive thought as to “what could be or why something may be” as opposed to just sitting idle’ly by and then bashing the mint and mint products. We could have had more informative thought on this set long before now and avoided some of the surprise and caustic comments posted above.., on a set that we haven’t seen yet.

Michael / Louis – here’s a perfect topic for a future article, ‘What the mint can and cannot produce under current legislation’ It’s has certainly piqued my interest.

As for the set, there’s a lot I don’t know about the silver medal and the set as a whole, I’ll anxiously wait to see what shows on the 17th. Thanks all for the informative thought above!

I am at the point that I am going to go through the stack and look for a trade. I want to trade square up for ONE high end graded classic. Easier to store, and a good investment with a history that can be traced.

BTW, I knew it would be tough with Chuck Taylor getting those S ATB quarters in time SO he got them canceled in D.C. on Nov. 4, actual day of release, they are now being shipped to Custer for his designed cancellation stamp, then shipped to him for signing, and then will be sent to me. I actually preferred the Nov. 4th dated stamp on those as they were the actual release date. They will be neat to add and a nice gift for a dear friend for the Holidays.

35. eddie says

i would love for the mint to mint an uhr silver half among others. it should be at least a 6 coin set no less.and if the do mint a gold half at least offer it separately.i just hope and pray they don’t screw the Kennedy set up because it means so much to so many people.
    my 5 ozer is on the way. i have been looking forward to for this one for along time.

36. Mercury says

My thought as to the practicality and value of the Theodore Roosevelt Coin and Chronicles Set is summed up by Michael in his article which he states that in 2003, the United States Mint had released a series of 90% silver medals with a common obverse design featuring Theodore Roosevelt and four reverse designs featuring the bald eagle, elk, salmon, and canvasback duck. These limited mintage silver medals had sold out quickly, although they can now be found around the original issuance price. As a collector I find that the suggested zero increase in value of the previous issued 2003 90% silver medals to be a glaring defect in the marketability of this TRCC Set. Sentimentality is one thing, but the bottom line that has to be taken into consideration as a collector is that some day we may want or need to either sell hand down our collection. I have read way to many accounts of individuals who after years of coin collecting decide to sell the items they’ve collected only to find out that threw away their money on bad investments. Buyer beware, this TRCC SET as it stands may fit that category. Not to say that if you like the set you shouldn’t buy it. But I do think the Mint these days may be leaning more towards profit taking and not profit sharing. The question now stands as to whether or not we experienced coin collector should use blogs such as this to try to protect our novice collector or simply promote the Mints bag of goods?

@Mercury… I guess I am left rather confused by your writing. It appears you are saying the mint needs to focus on who the buyer of their products is selling them too?

I’m not sure I understand the profit sharing analogy either. I am not an employee of the mint. Profit sharing is generally given to those people not someone who is buying their products.

I don’t think the mint can really control which product will be a huge winner. Altho this year it does look like they sold out to the big buyers with the WP ASE offering. They also did a pretty good job of giving regular Joe buyers a chance with the RP Buffalo.

Where I do see a chance for the mint to drastically improve is in product selection of annual collectibles – like the commemoratives. Those of us who buy these coins annually deserve to be given something that is worthy of the money. That has been decreasing IMO….

These unique sets (like this TRCC), aren’t meant to be wholesale winners, but are covering a bit of history for the buyers. I doubt the mint expects to sell 2 million of them, but maybe 20k to 50k. If you don’t like it…pass on it. I like some of these unique one off historical offerings, and this one is interesting to me – so I’ll buy it.

38. stephen m says

I think the .999 silver medal has an excellent likeness of Mr. Teddy on it and the reverse looks good also. This set will compliment the Lincoln CC set very nicely for me.

39. Brian says

“protect our novice collector”? If we were talking about gold plated quarters in a red oak presentation box I would agree.

But we’re only talking about $70 or so here, and part of that is due to silver content. It will be a nice looking set for a reasonable price.

40. VARich says

@ Mercury – to your question, I would argue that this blog is already serving to protect new collectors and it is a amazing source of information and knowledge. I’m a relative newbee, started collecting in ’06 at 33 and made some poor purchases along the way without much of a plan. Now having read this blog consistently over the past 2 years, I’m light years ahead of where I was and have the much wiser and experienced collectors with all your informative posts to thank. This is a complex hobby we’re engaged in that takes a broad knowledge of topics to stay on top of successfully which I think this blog does quite successfully with everyone’s input. My two cents…

Happy Veteran’s Day All!

Agreed VARich: Thanks Michael for this blog and Happy Veteran’s Day and thank you all for your service to this great Country of ours! Rushmore puck almost here…

VABB,

Very interesting on the legal power/authority of the mint director; this is the reason I come to these comments. If you’re still watching this thread, does Peterson not have the same authority to create new coins (that had been vested in Moy) due to his Acting Director status? I wasn’t sure if the problem was Peterson being hesitant to exercise his power or if he just flat out didn’t have the power.

I think the reason why the US Mint operates the way it does is because of their business model, which appears to leave the little room for risk.

44. high low silver says

I think I understand what Mercury is saying…..Those 9/11 medals were the last ones I will purchase from the Mint jmo. Unless the .999 TR coin is a BU .

high low… it also is a timing thing. The 9/11 medals came when silver was inordinately high. I have a pair of them – 1 from each mint. I actually just picked them up recently for $35 each.

I’m not defending the mint – I agree that some things they do are just plain dumb. Like selling items for years and not just ending them after a set period of time. Having a product for sale for a month and having no packaging on hand for the same product and losing thousands of sells. Selling an exclusive product offering and then taking that same product and including it in another repackaged offering as they did with the ASE last year.

That said – the one off offerings are intriquing and I’d hope the mint doesn’t drop them anytime soon.

46. high low silver says

I agree with everything you mentioned thePhelps. The last paragraph to this story escapes me, they may keep this set on their site untill 2016. The Mint loves to play with words.

47. Mercury says

@thePhelps
    I guess the angle I’m coming from as a reader of these blogs is based on determining whether or not the glowing comments that are sometimes being made regarding a coin or coin set, are being done so from a coin collector’s viewpoint or that of a sellers. If I were a novice coin collector should I consider the recommendations being made regarding a coin or set mentioned here to be based on the collectible value or am I here being told how great a coin or set is, only because the sellers on the other end would like me to buy it so they can share in the profits. And in either case, do we as collectors have a responsibility to beginner coin collectors to identify whether our comments were made based on the item true value or only because we sell coins. Is this type of forum used in order to promote a sell of coins or to help other readers who may not know better make rational purchases so that their collection will at least have a fighting chance at some resale value in the future.

48. high low silver says

My collection is getting filled with more world coins than US coins over the past year…… and next year doesn’t look too good for us either.Ill trade an ASE for a nice BU 90% old school coin anytime..The only coins I really desire are the special sets like RP Buffalo and WP sets. I’m more excited about the Zombuck bullion rounds, than next years US offering so far…..

@mercury…much better!

I am not a seller. I think many here are not sellers, altho many very astute sellers are often seen here, and some of them are also collectors.

That said the items generally discussed here are about coins currently available from the mint, and as such a 3rd party has no real inducement to get you all excited to buy from them.

I agree many offerings from the mint deserve to be skeptically viewed for future profits by all of us. Some things tend to go down in value as time passes. I collect commemoratives – and those don’t really have a large growth factor for the moderns. (I’ll say that is partially because they are almost always including a surcharge that isn’t sustained in the after market). My favorites are the classics – and while I have some – many of the MS variety are way out of my day to day purchase price range.

I don’t find most clad offerings to be of any major growth. Exceptions are always a rule, and occasionally some of those happen. Generally you’ll find little value in a 1965 to 2013 mint set – again there are a few exceptions. (if you can find a 1982 or 1983 set issued by the Philly and Denver mint booths you can make money – or a 1970 mint set is nice to have for the Kennedy).

Then again these things aren’t really germane to the issue of current coins from the mint. It does appear that most of us discuss the more costly coins issued by the mint here. The precious metal coins are often those that will increase in value, and converse be negatively impacted by the economy as well.

I think many of the coin collections you mentioned, those people gathered for years an accumulated little value often tend to be random collections of mint sets with the odd commemorative or Prestige Proof of other proof sets in them. I read an article on one of the online coin magazines recently regarding the author dissecting his grandmothers collection – the person who got him into collecting – and that was what he found she had.

That said this is a hobby for many of us. I am not looking to retire off my coin collection, nor do I expect to see a vast wealth of money passed on to my heirs. I enjoy the coins issued by the mint for a lot of the artistic thought and design. (especially since I have no artistic bones in my body). Yes – I have many mint sets, but I’m also filling in the blanks these days with silver – such as ATB’s – silver proof sets and ASE sets…

I read a tagline sometime back on another forum that I always found humorous. How do you make a small fortune off coin collecting… start with a large fortune.

50. high low silver says

thePhelps: I purchased a 1960s bronze coin from a coin show along with both unfaced dies last Spring….I love it!!!!

51. Jerry Diekmann says

I’m just glad that the Mint is recognizing Teddy Roosevelt more than the mediocre or worse presidents who preceded him or followed him. TR was truly the only great president this country had between Lincoln in 1865 and FDR in 1933 – that”s a lifetime – 68 years!

52. VABEACHBUM says

@ C.O. Glad I took another look at his thread…

You and I are like-minded, once again, as I have been asking myself the same questions. Bottom line, I don’t know the answer. However, with what I know about Federal Service and Appointments, I have to believe the Secretary of the Treasury has issued the Interim Director a Letter of Appointment containing specifics related to Responsibilities, Authorities, and Accountablility within the temporary position. If I had to guess, that letter is focused on the essentials of status quo operations rather than a carte blanche control.

Again, this is just my interpretation of the current situation. Yet Peterson, as Interim Director, will forever be known for the WP Anny Set and the Enhanced Finish ASE – a coin that was the result of the Director’s ability to determine numismatic coin production and finishes.