Price Reduction for 2014 Proof American Silver Eagle

Proof Silver EagleThe United States Mint has scheduled notices for publication within the Federal Register which will reduce the price of the 2014 Proof American Silver Eagle and establish the price for next year’s 2015-dated coin. The pre-publication versions of the notices can be found here and here.

According to the notice, the price for the 2014 Proof Silver Eagle will be reduced from the current price of $52.95 to the new price of $48.95. An effective date for the price change has not been indicated. The 2015 Proof Silver Eagle will also carry the new lower price of $48.95.

The 2014 Proof Silver Eagle went on sale at the Mint on January 23, 2014 at the price of $52.95. On this date, the market price of silver was around $20.11. Despite a sustained decline in the market price of silver culminating in early November when the price dipped near $15 per ounce, the price for the product has not been adjusted until now. The current price of silver is around $16.08 per ounce.

Based on the figures from this week’s sales report, the 2014 Proof Silver Eagles have had cumulative sales of 732,105. The pace of sales has been strong during the gift giving season with prior week sales of 6,821 units.

At this point, there have been no notices issued to reduce the price of other silver numismatic products. Perhaps these may be forthcoming. The last time the US Mint made an interim price adjustment due to a change in the market price of silver, the prices for nearly all silver numismatic products were adjusted. This took place in July 2013.

In October, we had seen the US Mint establish prices for the upcoming 2015 US Marshals Commemorative Coins. The prices for the silver coins reflected reductions from the levels for the 2014-dated commemorative issues.

Update: The price of the 2014 Proof Silver Eagle will be reduced today, December 19, 2014 at 12:01 PM ET.

Comments

jejtpr – They should honor the price you agreed to at the time of purchase. If we can get Walmart to run the Mint, you would have got the low price guarantee.

Stuart – Thanks, I could recall off the top of my head, so I used the number I did recall. I appreciate the correction.

3. Keep Calm & Stack On says

I saw where a rack of work boots were left untouched during the looting…

The “ringing” Liberty Bell (Enhanced) would have been awesome, & a nice additional to my collection!

4. GoldFishin says

@KCSO….LOL…no ticket, I was wearing my hoodie and smoking a cigarillo….I think he had seen that movie before. He just addressed me as sir and asked me to pay more attention to what I was doing. I said “whatever >#!^#!” and went on my way. 🙂

Of course, I am just kidding…I was raised to only say “yes sir” and “no sir” when in the presence of any police officer, or any authority figure for that matter.

5. Keep Calm & Stack On says

Appears we have lost an “authority figure” out here, though I never heard a ‘Sir’ from you.., Sir! ;).

6. GoldFishin says

@KCSO- After 20+ years I still address my wife as “yes sir” and “no sir”, even though she would rather I didn’t. 😉

VA Bob – I agree that the TR Coin & Chronicles set could become the key to the series if interest develops. I thought it was very well done, with the first silver version of a Presidential medal in a full troy ounce. With the FDR silver medal that makes a “collection” and if Director Peterson continues with the Presidential silver medals next year that will be even better. If the price of silver ever recovers it will be that much better for the set. I’ve salted a few extra sets away in case that happens.

8. cagcrisp says

@VA Bob, I wonder what the Minimum number of coins has to be Sold before Before the ‘surcharge’ is paid out?

Like the GS coin I wonder if any $ from the CR will be paid?

9. Keep Calm & Stack On says

That’s hilarious!

cag – throwing a dart here, I would have to say they would have to sell more than the GS coins!

Cag – Well if it comes in less than the GSA coin did, I would assume it would be nothing. A surcharge is a terrible thing to waste.

11. jhawk92 says

@Dustyroads-Sadly, I didn’t get my 2008 Reverse 07 Eagles direct from the mint, I ended up getting them on the bay several years ago. Not sure what they are priced at now, but I’m happy I have them. I usually get my Eagles ordered pretty soon after they start sales, but the two I ordered were regular 2008s.

I like seeing the 2014 Proof ASE drop in price. Hope that portends well for the 5oz pucks coming!