Pricing for 50th Anniversary Kennedy Sets

silver-kennedy-2Earlier this week, I covered the preliminary details for the United States Mint’s upcoming special numismatic products to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy Half Dollar. A notice soon to be published in the Federal Register has revealed the price levels for two of the special sets.

According to the notice, the 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar Silver Coin Collection will have a price of $99.95. This product will contain four half dollars struck in a composition of 90% silver with a higher relief sculpt obverse portrait. The four coins will be struck at four different mint facilities and feature four different finishes. This will include a proof version struck at the Philadelphia Mint, a reverse proof version struck at the West Point Mint, an enhanced uncirculated version struck at the San Francisco Mint, and an uncirculated version struck at the Denver Mint.

Whether or not collectors will find the cost of roughly $25 for each silver half dollar reasonable, this is a lower cost than the specially offered 1998-S Matte Finish Kennedy Half Dollar. This coin was offered within the 1998 Kennedy Collector’s Set, along with the uncirculated RFK silver dollar, at a price of $59.95. Since the silver dollar was available individually at $30.00, this implied a cost of $29.95 for the special half dollar.

Pricing was also provided for the 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar Uncirculated Coin Set. Priced at $9.95, this product will include two uncirculated half dollars struck with the higher relief sculpt obverse portrait. These coins will be produced at the Philadelphia and Denver Mint facilities.

Pricing information has not been provided for the individual gold proof coin, which will be struck in roughly three-quarters of an ounce of 24 karat gold. The US Mint prices other numismatic gold offerings based on a grid with different price levels indicated based on the average weekly market price of gold. Potentially, the US Mint may add the upcoming coin to this grid and determine pricing in a similar fashion.

Comments

1. GoldFishin says

@Ray…the only way you can get sales that are in the 500-550 range is to do an ebay search and sort it by “Price + Shipping – lowest first”. Those sales were the first week of release and were presales. They were in March.

The $495 auction that was mentioned here came up right away on my search which is very narrow. The seller made a listing mistake by not adding in Hall of Fame(HOF) or COA or Mint Box. He/She narrowed the amount of search words so drastically that only a minimal percentage of people searching would have found it. It is key as a seller on Ebay to try and place as many words as possible in the Title, because everyone seems to have their own way of searching. Ebay give you a lot of words nowadays, there is really no excuse for not using all they will allow you to use in the title description.

2. MN says

VA Rich says

June 21, 2014 at 11:41 am

Ohh, we got us a BHoF Mint Error –

VA Rich says

June 21, 2014 at 11:48 am

2014-S Baseball Half Dollar Mint Error Reverse Retained Die Break @ 5

One sold for $331 – can’t be the seller didn’t bother to include a pic of the reverse in the listing… geez!

—————————————————————————————————————

NGC Coin Certification Verification Link Below (type the slab # in to see both sides of the error coin)

lol@ the Mint asking people to chime in about their coin clubs and locations…Umm, no thanks, don’t need to let FB world know about my hobby…Sheesh..

AkBob says
    JUNE 21, 2014 AT 5:04 PM

FM – I know that the Coin Vault did sets back in 2005 and they did sets in MS68 too which I thought was strange. Now and then they talk about it on their show and how they could never put together that many sets again, etc. I am fairly sure these were from “theCoinVault” back then. I could be wrong but I know of no one else that could have done a project like that. It’s takes a lot of time, money and where for all to do something like that. Hope this helps and/or explains this.

Thanks! Was an interesting thing to see but obviously hasn’t had the upside potential one might have expected…

@MN – I looked at the “die crack” silver Baseball Hall of Fame coin. From what I can see, it is a relatively minor error. I personally would spend less money on a coin that has a “defect” than one that is “error-free.” That’s my personal view. Of course, an error enthusiast would have a different view.

6. Mat says

Can some of you guys (gals)that have a lot of knowledge on coin errors help me out. I ordered a 3 of the BHOF HALFS and 2 of them have some double die letters on the reverse. The LES in states with the S being worse and the initials DE, the F in half and R in dollar so on the right side of coin. Is this any thing major I also took some photos that show the ES but not sure how to post picture any suggestions.

7. Howard says

Maybe the delay in shipping was due to difficulty in the minting
    the curve coins? This could be interesting with irregularities.

@Mat – I collect Lincoln cent double dies, and from what I see in your picture, the doubling on your coin is minor. Most doubling errors do not get the public’s attention unless the doubling can be easily seen with the naked eye.

Of course, opinions can vary dramatically with the acceptance of double dies. If the doubling is found worthy of posting in the Red Book or the Cherrypicker’s Guide, then you have a fantastic find!

9. VA Rich says

Thanks MN – that’s most helpful! Appears that there’s different errors when you cycle thru 3868201-00x

10. VA Rich says

As I recall from the last Quarterly Inventory from fellow posters, a lot didn’t ship during that time – guess my BHoF $1 proofs to ship on 06 June..well, we’ll just change the ‘ne’ to “ly” and make it July 06.

Quarterly Inventory: Due to the United States Mint’s quarterly inventory, expedited shipping will not be available for orders placed from June 23 through June 29, 2014. Orders over $300 and orders containing gold or platinum United States Mint collectibles will receive a complimentary upgrade, but may experience a slight delay. Expedited shipping will be available again for orders placed on or after June 30, 2014. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

11. SmallPotatos says

@cagcrisp
    Thanks! that makes some sense to me. I had that issue happen to me on another (not so in demand) purchase, where my credit limit needed to be verified. took a week to clear up, so I could see those with no issues would take a step forward in line.

12. Eagle One says

The Kennedy Half Dollar should be retired with class, at the 50 year mark, and finished in solid Gold. I would not mind seeing Neil Armstrong on the half in the near future. The First Man on the Moon (July 20th 1969) was the greatest and most recognized American Achievement in U.S. History. Bringing back the Franklin would be too boring. Regan is another good candidate though. However, design wise, a lot could be done with an Armstrong Half Dollar. It could speak volumes of American Achievement. Additionally, the U.S. Space Program is Kennedy’s legacy.

13. Eagle One says

John Glenn would be another great candidate for the half. U.S. Marine, First Man to Orbit the Earth, and a U.S. Senator.

14. Curt Gehm says

Would be a great idea if people could keep their discussion on topic instead of talking about the Baseball coins in EVERY discussion. It’s most annoying……………….

15. Sith says

@curt – I take it that you did not order any of the BHOF coins. Tired of posts about them then blame the mint for not shipping them out faster. I find waiting just under 3 months ( and counting) for the coins more annoying then people talking about them.

16. jeff says

Buy your coins and move on. Hey Curt get use to it there has been nothing more intriguing innovative from the mint in many years than the bhof get on board it’s not to late.

17. Pittsburgh P says

@Curt just as annoying when people post complaints… Funny that you were talking about the baseball coin by harping about it. If you are that annoyed… it would be a great idea if you just read the articles and moved on. 🙂

18. Bob R says

With the mint releasing the last batch of gold HOF now is the time to buy on the secondary market if one wishes to add to his position. I picked up a $5 proof and unc set for $1200 which looking back one year from now will look like a steal.

19. GoldFishin says

@Bob R – I have been in the market for more of the $5 as well this week. All OGP from first time coin sellers. I got some really nice ones.

Eagle One,

It’s not only the appropriate time to retire the Kennedy half after this year’s anniversary issues, it’s time to discontinue minting the half dollar altogether, as it is virtually not used in commerce anymore.

21. Eagle One says

@Hawkster,

True on the circulating aspect. However, the half is a revenue stream for the Mint. It adds weight and bling to the Proof and Mint Sets. Yet, if the Gold Kennedy is the last half dollar ever minted, that is what I call, “Going out in grand style.” It wouldn’t surprise me if it happens.

22. Ray says

@GoldFishing, youre right. I always sort from recent to oldest, but for some reason that got reset to the reverse. I was checking those sale amounts from my mobile device.

So whats the latest known $5 gold proof BHoF order time, for orders that have shipped? Are we on 3/28 orders yet?

Removing a coin from our line up appears to be a simple thing to do, but introducing legislation and achieving a majority vote is probably something Congress would like to avoid as long as we already have coinage in place.

24. Ray says

I think the silver Kennedy offering is going to be wildly popular. I just looked at past mintages for all Kennedys and maybe the gold will set a new low, but I could see 500,000 silver sets being sold, which would put those at around the 5th lowest mintage. Personally, I’m looking forward to the reverse proof and enhanced unc.

25. gary says

@Dustyroads…The utterly dysfunctional U.S. Congress avoids a great many things, consciously, or not! They are either preoccupied with their own reelections or are otherwise uninterested in coinage.

26. Clark says

@Curt–Nice of you to drop in and insult virtually everyone here. It is amusing that the subject of your post was the BHoF topic about which you complain? Get used to it.

27. Curt Gehm says

Hmmmm. I am interested in Kennedy half’s .Did I look at the wrong topic? Isn’t “Pricing for 50th Anniversary Kennedy Sets” the actual “Topic” of THIS Thread? I find it utterly amusing and ridiculous that adults still hijack Topics. Sorry if you don’t like that bad behavior being brought to your attention.

28. SuperDave says

I agree totally STAY ON TOPIC OR START YOUR OWN DISCUSSION Please have a little courtesy and talk about JFK sets!!! Thanks, ~Dave

29. GoldFishin says

@Ray – I also am looking forward to the Reverse proof and Enhanced coin. I think the silver set was well thought out and it should be a good one to have. 500,000 though, I certainly hope not, if so, I will buy one set at the offering and wait a year or so to buy more. At $99.95 which is somewhat reasonable for the what the Mint has put together, doesn’t leave a whole lot of meat on the bone if it is overproduced. I am hoping for no more than 200k or so for a mintage limit with household limits for a specified period of time. I really am hoping they do a good job of packaging the coins also.

Ray,

You commented that the silver Kennedy offering is going to be wildly popular. I think that may be true with the geriatric (older) coin collectors, but I’m not sure how it will do with the younger collectors who were not around during the Kennedy years. I just don’t see 500,000 being sold.

31. Bernie in PA says

Curt Gehm and SuperDave…

Funny part about your comments is that you brought no insight on the Kennedy coins at all… I don’t comment much here but I thoroughly enjoy the comments regardless of the article and I appreciate the expertise that everyone brings.

I was sucked into collecting by the BHOF coins – since then I’ve subscribed to the ATB program , and am now intrigued by the Kennedy commemoratives. A lot of my interest has been fueled by this blog – thanks all!

32. Pittsburgh P says

@Hawkster I agree with you but feel that the silver JFK sets will still do well… Half a mil well I am not sure. Either way these will be one of the lowest mintage JFKs, gold and silver if there is a max or if its mint to demand. The fed isn’t gonna pump out a few million like others for this one!

@Bernie in PA I am glad to hear it! Keep collectin and keep comin back… Don’t know what got up Mr. Gehm’s and Superdave’s skirts but like you said they brought nothing to the topic themselves and don’t know the bad behavior dave speaks of. Imo they are the ones displaying rude childlike behavior… They may be from CT – long storied joke if you don’t get that one 🙂

33. Bernie in PA says

@ Pitt P – thanks! Lol@ the CT comment… I recall some “friendly” posts from a certain someone there

34. Bob R says

I hate to say it but I really don’t think the JFK coins will be worth much as an investment. Years down the road they will be worth about as much as the original mint price IMO. Yes I will buy some just to collect, but as investment no way. I’ll stick with the Gold BHOF for investment growth in the future.

35. Curt Gehm says

Ah!!! Now comes the name calling and bullying? People most times lurk for awhile before making comments. You listen and learn and then speak when something is valid and make an observation. I came to this topic to learn about and possibly discuss the Kennedy Program but no comments about the Kennedy Program actually began until the 20th Posting. The Blog itself is wonderful and has the most current information but the comments shared under the Topics by the majority of the Posters ARE NOT ON TOPIC and should be talked elsewhere in the BLOG. IE. Discussing Lincoln Cents under the Topic of Peace Dollars? I would NEVER expect to find comments about those Pennies under the Topic of Silver Dollars. If anyone had anything Valid MOST people wouldn’t be looking under Dollars for Cents and might miss something important…………No need for name calling either!

36. Don says

Bob R,

I kind of agree with you in that the Kennedy offerings, especially the silver sets, are not destined to become good investment vehicles. And yes, the major appeal of the silver offerings will be to have one or two sets as collectibles or personal remembrances of the Kennedy era, without worrying how they will do value wise down the road. The sets will particularly have special meaning to the more mature, eh senior, collectors.
    The future value of the gold Kennedy coin will be tied in with the number sold, which could be interesting. I think most collectors are rooting for a low, stated maximum mintage rather than a mint to demand.

37. Eagle One says

I think the Silver sets will come in at 100K or less. The 1998-S matte topped out at 63K.

38. Curt Gehm says

I’ve been collecting Franklin & Kennedy halves for years. I collected them primarily because they were/are readily available in excellent condition & grades and because they really are good looking coins. I also love ASE and Gold Eagles and began collecting those in 1986. I will not be purchasing the GOLD KENNEDY because it really doesn’t fit the description of what a Kennedy Half Dollar is. I’m hoping the packaging of the “set” is similar to what the Mint did with the San Francisco & West Point Anniversary ASE sets. I love the idea of a reverse proof kennedy!!!! Can’t wait to see it.

39. Pittsburgh P says

@dusty agreed the matte finish JFK was a good investment. Idk if these will be but hope so! I’m in for a gold & a few silver sets & do hope for a max mintage but am not holdin my breath. I’m not a geriatric collector as Hawkster puts it 🙂 and am still very excited for the upcoming release…

@curt gehm… Name calling and bullying eh lol 🙂

40. Pittsburgh P says

@curt – serious question… Why don’t the upcoming gold JFKs fit the description of a Kennedy half?

41. Curt Gehm says

I was included in the Mint Survey and prefer the Mint to demand idea. It really allows the little people access to the coins without Dealers gobbling them all up and then sending them out for grading and then turning around and selling them at ridiculous and inflated prices.

42. Curt Gehm says

@ Pittsburgh P.

It is not the same size or composition of ANY Kennedy Half Dollar. I think a better idea would have been that it was made into a separate “Commemorative Coin” I’m sure their are going to be dealers insisting that it needs to be purchased by EVERY Collector to “Complete” their Kennedy Half Collections. NOT!

43. GoldFishin says

@Curt – if you click on the “Older Comments” link at the bottom of this page you will go to the first page of comments about this JFK subject. You will see that there was a lot of discussion about this topic before it strayed. It is inevitable that readers will discuss other topics, and if you ever have any questions most people here will help you as much as they can without ridicule. I enjoy the diversity of thought on MNB …. it seems I am always presented with interesting viewpoints that I may not have considered or been aware of. I agree with you about the reverse proof. It is really what I want out of this set, even if I have to purchase it separately.
    To me, more important than “mint to demand” issuance is stricter household limits. The dealers are going to get theirs, you are swimming up a waterfall if you think anything different, but with stricter household limits for the first week, or even 30 days, would make it about as fair as you will get.

44. MarkInFlorida says

Hey did the platinum proof get kicked out of the schedule and replaced by the first spouses? (Sorry Curt.)

45. Brice says

@Curt – I too did the survey and must disagree. Limit the sets (all coins). Then limit the sales @ 1 each household limits for 4 weeks.
    That affords all the opportunity to purchase at least 1 of each desired before the big guys buy them up.

46. jeff says

Curt, we talk relevant topics not always what the host has posted . As you can tell the Kennedy topic is not of much relevance when your looking at least several months before any significant shipments will begin. What is relevant still is the bhof coins so in a couple of months many more discussion on the Kennedy but from my prospective it’s the bhof my opinion welcome to the blog.

47. Bob R says

I think the mint will produce silver sets and gold to order. Noteworthy thing about this, JFK was one of the most popular presidents of the 20th century. He is no baseball player, no general, he was the 35th president of the United Stated of America and assassinated while in office. The mint should give every person the opportunity to purchase any and all coins from this 50 year anniversary. I believe they will follow thorough, after all it is Camelot.

48. Bob R says

I believe the mint should produce silver and gold Kennedy to demand for respect of the president, I think the mint understands and will do so, not worrying about flippers profits but more for the general public. Everyone should have the opportunity for these coins.

49. Curt Gehm says

I feel limiting the sets to 1 will create an early false increased market pricing . Dealers will use that initial limited quantity to their avail and charge ridiculous prices for those coins .People will buy them early only to be disappointed when prices slide back into reality when the secondary release occurs .. I say allow everyone to order and get what they want within a 30 day period. I will order(4) Silver sets and (4) 2 Coin Sets. Dealers will order hundreds if not thousands, send them out for grading and then sit on them. All Proof 70’s and Unc. 68’s. Some will even find their way onto late night TV. 😉

curt, The upcoming half releases are not much of a departure from the other Kennedy releases except for the 5% reduction of the presidential seal and the higher relief, which I personally feel will make the coins beautiful. Sure, the compositional change to gold is extreme, but we have seen composition changes already, and surface changes seem to be a welcomed addition. I feel that the integrity of the design should still be intact, of course we haven’t seen one yet, but I’m guessing it will compare fairly well. BTW, you should find coin collectors, especially the ones here more than adequate to follow blog thread etiquette, but this is the thread, and those commenting are not affiliated with the writer or the blog.

51. Peter says

Speaking of Presidents (as in JFK) even in the debates the candidates often wander off topic until the moderator can reel them back in. This is a discussion board, so all the grumpy guys (and gals?) who post about the off topic posts should lighten up. Variety is what makes a discussion interesting anyway.

52. Curt Gehm says

The Kennedy Half IS still available in MOST Banks and can be purchased by Rolls. Sold rolls are re-ordered by the Branch Managers.It’s amazing to still find Kennedy’s with Silver Content available at face value . It’s an excellent way to supplement your other collection habits. I’ve sent plenty of 65″,66″ and 67’s for certification and many have come back as MS 67. The rest are sold for their silver value.

53. GoldFishin says

@Curt – This is the problem with “mint to demand” without household limits. The US Mint only produces a certain number of coins that they feel certain will sell in the beginning of an issuance. They don’t produce the entire mintage, not even close to it. In a Mint to Demand scenario without household limits the dealers buy up the entire amount of the available mintage in a matter of hours, if not less. Then all the real collector base sits helplessly by for months waiting for their orders to be filled while the dealers make hay selling all the available inventory at artificially inflated prices. I have been involved with too many popular offerings for which I couldn’t place my order in the first hour window and it was 3 or 4 months down the road before I could even get my coins, if I was lucky. If you place household limits that are reasonable, that somewhat restrict the retailers from buying up all the available inventory in the first day, it allows a much fairer distribution and as importantly fairer fulfillment of orders.
    Then later, after a week or 30 days, whatever, let the big boys buy all they want and they will be waiting for 3 or 4 months along with the rest of the collector base that want to purchase more than the household limit. I am not in favor of a limit of 1 myself, I think on this set a limit of 5, 10, or something like that is sufficient to allow for more equal distribution of the available inventory. And keep in mind, household limits do not prevent a person from ordering all they want once the household limit is removed. It just allows everyone to receive something sooner, rather than later. JMHO

54. Sith says

@Curt – First you may feel that the gold coin is a “facsimile of a Kennedy Half Dollar,” but IMHO I feel your in the minority, and your collection will suffer especially if you decide to sell it. Then again who knows, but I don’t see how someone who collects Kennedy’s would take such a hard line against the gold coin. IE saying you will not buy it because it does not fit your description of a “true” Kennedy Half Dollar is like certain people in the blog calling the BHOF coin a circus coin. Regardless of how you feel the US Mint is selling it as a 50 cent piece with a .999 gold composition, this it is a 50 cent piece, regardless of your personal feelings against it.

55. Curt Gehm says

@ GoldFishin

I really don’t care how long my waiting time is for delivery or what dealers could charge once I would know the quantity I ordered will be produced FOR ME as long as my ordered quantity was received by the Mint within the set 30 day time limit . It worked great for REAL collectors of the ASE San Francisco sets and Westpoint ASE sets. This idea works very well and IMHO should be extended to other current Mint Issues like the regular ASE issues and annual Proof sets and annual Silver Proof sets. Hey! if people get impatient let them CANCEL.. The Mint can always have other people on back order.

56. Curt Gehm says

@ Sith

Like I said, it will not look like a Kennedy Half and will not feel like a Kennedy Half. I don’t think the overall value of my Kennedy Half Dollar collection will suffer because of it’s absence. I use to collect US Stamps and Great Britain (Queen Elizabeth 2) and ALL her Colonies. Little by little all the engraved and printed artwork disappeared and was replaced with photographic imagery. Small Countries like Bhutan even issued High Value 3D stamps and stamps that replicated LP records that were playable. I see gimmicks in other Country Coinage and can only hope the US doesn’t follow suit. Personally, I don’t think the Kennedy Coinage should have been messed with by adding a Gold Coin. It will never be accepted as a true example of the existing series and if Jackie Kennedy was alive she’d be pissed! Wonder how Caroline feels or if she was even consulted?

57. VA Rich says

The attendance at the Nationals game yesterday was ~39,400 people, I think they’re was 39,399 people there that still have no clue about the BHoFs. The souvenir/memorabilia stores were packed, and that’s after everyone made the mad pre-game dash to buy $9 beers and $13 sandwiches, though no sign of silver or clad BHoFs, not that you’d really expect to see them by the various vendors. I asked some guys while standing in the beer line (several times ;), if they had heard anything about “this curved silver BHoF coin that just came out and where I can find one” – I got a look back of intrigue, and “what in the hell are you talking about.”

I have always thought the future potential of gold and silver BHoF is tied to how well word spreads throughout the baseball community this year. While there was some initial sports articles regarding the new domed baseball coin, that was in the dead of winter, and I give credit to the mint for making a couple baseball games to promote the coins. Otherwise, that’s all I’ve seen and nothing out the HoF. I’m glad to see the HoF getting into the action with Youth Collectors set, perhaps that will increase the awareness of these unique beautifies.

In my opinion, the mint COULD sell out of the clads, but it would require the HoF to run an advertisement or two marketing the BHoFs once the playoffs commence and the mint needs to set up kiosk at the game with promotional giveaways (free bag, or free clad with a purchase of 2 CR coins) put up on the big board during the game. In all seriousness, I question whether word on the BHoFs has really spread to the extent that I would have thought at this stage (by the lack of promo activities, not inquiring while standing in a beer line).

@Curt… I think you are off the mark on the mint to demand. Since you are commenting on this blog, you obviously will know the exact date – time – and mintage limits of the Kennedy release and should have no problem getting your order in. Very few here missed out on the BHoF coins even with mintage and household limits. The value after the release should also be something you should be concerned with – and your examples of the ASE – is exactly why most see mint to demand as a big resellers dream and a collectors worse enemy. Those offerings were mint to demand – the resellers bought pallets of them and flooded the market with over inflated prices for months – while the average collector wait for their coins. This created an artificial market price for months that the large resellers enjoyed profits from all the time deflating the actual collectors set value in the long run and practically destroying any hopes the coins are going to be value added collectibles. Sure they are nice – but – will they be worth more than you paid for them? I’d suggest only if silver increases in value.

The threads last year regarding the 2013 ASE set – went downhill while we waited for our coins. We watched the truck loads of coins being unloaded repackaged and sold for inflated prices – time and time again – and we waited for our 1st day order to ship…and waited and waited. Many cancelled their orders as time went by – seeing exactly how little value the coins would hold – and most can purchase the coins today at near the release price – often already graded.

The other side of that is the mintage limits – which were implemented for the BHoF coins. As mentioned they were not sold in pallets to the large resellers – and an astute buyer filled out their collection on the first day they were sold – being informed here with minute by minute updates on the selling process. The excitement for the coins has increased and it appears the market value will also hold fairly well after the entire set is shipped. That is a collectors hope when adding a coin they seek to their collection. (IMO)

59. VA Rich says

Jeff – you’re being too kind partner! Once the mint announces mint-to-demand for the JKF’s, we’ll be back here chatting BHoFs 24/7! lol

Oh, and $1 UNCs have just pushed out to – Exp Ship: 7/31/14

@VA Rich… I think the mint is riding the saddle they have on the BHoF coins. They have no need to push the clad coins – they can already say the offering was wildly successful and move on to the Kennedy’s. Lets face it the clad halves are the least collectible of the set. While they may be unique – the average person already ignores the half anyway – and $20 50 cent pieces probably aren’t going to move up into I gotta have it range anytime soon.

61. Sith says

@curt – I’m not here to argue with you, it’s your collection, but your the only person who feels that the coin is a gimmick. Personally I don’t care but wanted to see why you felt that way. IMHO you are coming across as another arrogant “true” collector, maybe your message would have been better received ( by me at least) if you had not started out by telling people on the board they were annoying…

62. merryxmasmrscrooge says

500,000 JFK sets? If less than 444,000 are sold the KEY DATE 2012S PF silver JFK will go down in price,
    since it will no longer be the #2 key date (behind the 1998S Matte at 62,000). This could get interesting.

63. merryxmasmrscrooge says

Although the dates “2011” and especially “2013” look the coolest on the Kennedy.

64. Pittsburgh P says

VaRich I just got my email pushin the BHoF to 7/31 also… Clads to 7/7. Really can’t understand the delay now.

65. VA Rich says

Pitt – I can understand all the Proof Clads being delayed to support build up of the Youth Collectors set, but yes, I’m with you, what’s up with the continual delays? If we’re pressing 20 hours a day, something isn’t going as well as planned…

I think the coins are made and they are waiting on the packaging AGAIN and the switch over to the new company…

@VARich: I asked some guys while standing in the beer line (several times 😉
    How many beers you buy bro???? lol

68. VA Rich says

FM – it was really hot out, lost count! ;7

My bad, not the Proof clad for the set, so that doesn’t explain why they’re not shipping either.

I think the discussions between commenters in regard to the merit of purchasing a gold Kennedy boils down to differences in opinions as who or what should be portrayed on U.S. Gold coins. I am only interested in gold coins which have the classic, iconic images: gold eagles and gold buffaloes. I have never bought any other type of gold coin, and this will be why I am passing on the Kennedy.

90+% of baseball fans still know nothing about the BHOF coins. Nothing. At current pace of sales the Clad may not sell as many as the Silvers. I still believe MLB and the HOF will step in at SOME point and buy up the remaining Clads. I do not see a downside to either party. The HOF will receive $5 per coin and MLB will get foot traffic for free. For either MLB or the HOF to step in and buy the coins 2 things must happen:
    1. House hold limits must be lifted
    2 (Most Important) They have to have a product in HAND to sell. They can not sell a coin that they don’t have in hand and selling coins at the Civil Rights Game and selling Clads at shows so people can walk in off the street and purchase while people placing orders 3 months ago are still waiting…..just does not work for me….

71. Jon in CT says

The JFK half dollar has proved to be a massive failure — right up there alongside clad dollar coins. It’s baffling why the Mint would want to create all this commotion about the anniversary of a coin which is so despised and loathed by the American public that it can’t even stay in circulation. I can barely contain my excitement while waiting to see what the Mint has planned for next year to honor the 15th anniversary of the Sacagawea dollar. 🙄

72. Dave says

Here’s what I’d like to see on the Kennedy special coins for the first batch struck.
    1) Start taking orders TODAY.
    2) limit 1 of each product per household until first shipment date or sellout of first batch
    3) ship ALL orders of first batch on the same day
    4) no show sales before first shipment

Continue to take orders under the household limit to determine demand for second striking.
    Fill second striking as above, then open ordering without limit.

I know – it will never happen (as with everything governmental, big money makes the rules. The rest of you be damned.)

73. Clark says

VaRich–Thanks for the intel from the baseball game. The mint may have better marketed and gained more publicity for other coins, but I can’t recall a more hyped and publicized release than our beloved BHoFs. I am beginning to believe that the average baseball fan, unlike the average coin collector, isn’t drawn to a curved gold baseball coin or a $23 fifty cent baseball piece. Perhaps NGC and PCGS knew this and tried to reach baseball fans with their HOF player labels. Although not a perfect comparison, it would be interesting to know if the mint’s Jackie Robinson series appealed more to baseball fans than to collectors. My money is on the collectors, but I’d love to be wrong about this.

Clark,

I think you are right. Even if the HOF half dollars were made available in major and minor league gift shops, the average fan will pass them up and head toward the team appararel–hats, shirts, etc. I always get a kick out of adults wearing team jerseys with a player’s name on the back. There are sure a lot of Derek Jeters, David Wrights, and other star players sitting in the stands.
    These same adults, who must fantasize that they major leaguers, high five everyone around them when their team scores or makes a good play–as if they had something to do with what takes place on the field.

75. Wes says

Kennedy half dollar was a very popular coin. I think the reason it isn’t in circulation is because those that got them in change would hoard them. Kennedy still remains a popular President. This set may not sell 250,000 if most people don’t know about them. I also preferred the method used for the 25th Anniversary ASE set. I got mt sets ordered and received them sooner than the baseball HOF coins I am still waiting for or the 2012 and 2013 ASE sets. The dealers were offering double what I paid for the sets right away. Now the dealers get them grade them and resale them before the average collector gets the coins.

The JFK half’s were popular when they had silver content, and that’s why they were hoarded. When they switched to clad they had roughly the same popularity as Ike dollars. They may again be popular, but it will take their removal from minting in order to happen, just as Ike’s and to a lesser degree SBA dollars have seen a small renaissance in popularity. Both are still numerous as to not be impossible to put a set together.

77. CW says

It sure would be nice if people would talk about the topic at hand and not about ‘their’ BHOF order. Yawn. Get over yourselves! I think $25 per coin is pushing it for the Kennedy’s.

@sharks2th, I went to the Mint web site and found nothing under the up coming products for sale about the gold Kennedy half dollar, so I came back to your comments on this blog and YES, that date is there (August 5th) where President Kennedys history is written! Funny it isn’t listed under NEW PRODUCTS to be released! I am looking forward to the new Kennedy products, especially the silver set!

CW Yes, maybe we should get over the BHOF coins and we would if they would send us what we ordered way back when! I placed an order the first day the first few minutes and I ordered conservatively, but when the coins came my family had quite an interest in them (mostly the grand kids) and so I placed another order for more of the clad ones. Several grand kids play baseball and thought what nice gifts for friends, I ordered a dozen more (clads). I guess they will enjoy them next year when baseball season rolls around but the hype was awhile back! Oh, well, win some and lose some!

I guess you got all you wanted or aren’t a baseball fan!!! Looking forward to Kennedy coins and hoping we get them THIS YEAR!

79. sharks2th says

@2 Yes I agree the mint is not doing a good job in maintaining the upcoming products page. They kept the 2013 listings on there almost half of the way into this year. A couple of years ago they projected most of the year’s release dates early in the year. It sure helps in budgeting when you can plan for the costs of some of these special issues early in the year.