Proof Eliza Johnson First Spouse Coin Sold Out

According to the US Mint’s website, the proof version of the 2011-W Eliza Johnson First Spouse Gold Coin has now sold out. The final coins may have been scooped up by buyers ahead of today’s price increase for numismatic gold products.

The Eliza Johnson coins originally went on sale more than a year ago on May 5, 2012. It is the US Mint’s policy to allow the coins to remain available for sale until the maximum mintage has been sold or for approximately one year, which is determined not by actual days but when the issue one year ahead in the schedule goes on sale. The exception to this criteria is if the entire available inventory is sold before either situation occurs. Recently, this has been the most common scenario.

This represents the third of the 2011-dated First Spouse coins to have sold out, following the proof Julia Gran coin in March and the uncirculated Eliza Johnson coin earlier this month.

According to the most recent sales report, the Eliza Johnson Proof Coin had sold 3,906 units, which is slightly lower than the sold out Julia Grant Proof.

Across the proof and uncirculated versions, the Eliza Johnson coins show total sales of 6,811 out of the 15,000 maximum mintage.

The US Mint is still yet to provide release dates for the 2012 First Spouse Gold Coins featuring Alice Paul, Frances Cleveland (twice), and Caroline Harrison. Entries for each coin in proof and uncirculated versions have been added to the product schedule, but dates are shown as “TBD”. Given the low sales of the 2011 issues and the fact that the US Mint produced well below the maximum, it seems possible that maximum mintage levels may be reduced for this year’s releases.

Comments

1. The Hawk says

Beauty could be in the eye of the coin holder in 10 years time with mintages this low.

2. KEITHSTER says

Sorry never met a ugly 1/2 oz. of pure gold. Didn’t get one huh few have and that’s great. Now that she’s sold out with that mintage she’s looking better by the minute.

Michael,

Don’t you think that getting a FS gold coin certified will increase its value? I know that there are some folks who place high value on the MS grade of a coin. The more rare a MS grade is, the more valuable the coin is.

4. Shutter says

this is a coin with Robin William’s mug on it

Good point. If he’d braided his hair, you couldn’t tell them apart.

5. Shutter says

Don’t you think that getting a FS gold coin certified will increase its value?

Probably not, if consider that NGC graded 87% of them at MS70.

6. gumbyen says

Liked the Liberty Subset and have been thinking of getting another FS. Thought I might wait for the least attractive and lowest mintage. But they just keep getting worse! Hard to figure out which to get….

“Don’t you think that getting a FS gold coin certified will increase its value?

Probably not, if consider that NGC graded 87% of them at MS70.”

The average buyer on ebay is not aware of the NGC population report, so a MS70 coin will sell for a premium. If you were to buy 5-10 of these and have them graded, then it would most likely be profitable for you. However, if you only have one coin and don’t plan on selling it, I would keep it in the OGP

8. ClevelandRocks says

Wow, the Chaco Culture Double Toilet, awesome design.
    Slightly more appealing than the gold Robin Williams relief.

9. ClevelandRocks says

Seriously, the 2012 silver proof SSB is my #1 design since the UHR (and the UHR obviously was not a new design). The Silver SSB proof will undoubtedly follow spot silver with only a modest premium, but who cares, it’s a great coin.

I’m not really a fan of slabbing most modern coins, unless the production run has frequent problems or errors (such as the army half dollar from last year. In general I have not heard of any real problems with the first spouse series so I personally wouldn’t slab them.

I feel the best niche for coin graders is for grading older coins, pre-1950.

11. Shutter says

The average buyer on ebay is not aware of the NGC population report

Sure, if you wait long enough, you’ll stumble on some rube that just fell off the turnip truck. You could then get him to pay a lot more than the coin is worth. The rest will perform at least cursory analysis before plunking down that kind of money. Recent NGC graded sales for this coin in MS70 have been around $1,000. That’s a whopping $40 over mint’s price. After you spend $25 to get this thing graded, and account for eBay fees and PayPal fees, I don’t see how there is any profit in it.

From what I can see, very few recent gold coins getting top grade are receiving big premiums over OGP or lower grades.

12. george glazener says

Y’all just wait until the Frances Cleveland FS hits the market. The MINT will have to run the presses for months to keep up with orders for that little Angel

13. auxmike says

It’s Mrs. Doubtfire!
    I’d wait for the one with the real hot lookin first lady to come out, she was like 22, I think?

Yes, my bad….for FS coins that is true. I don’t know why, but I was thinking about $5 Gold Medal of Honor unc. coins, or similar. And prices for these have been declining a lot. I have one unc. Medal of Honor $5 gold coin in the OGP and I will keep it that way….I think long term, this coin will be a winner as it has one of the best designs of any modern gold com.. While the low mintage of 8251 may be beat by this years SSB $5 gold unc. I think that years down the road, the Medal of Honor $5 gold coin will be a winner.

Well, I went completely off topic…sorry about that.

15. Shutter says

You’re right MoH is a better design than any FS by a mile. On top of that, it’s just easier to find a buyer who can afford ¼ oz gold coin than ½ oz. WRT grading, MoH is probably not worth grading either. And why bother, if you aren’t selling? If needed you can always get it graded later.

16. DCDave says

I like the SSB silver proof a lot, but the gold MOH proof is my fav.
    FS are low mintage low interest novelties.
    Mrs. Doubtfire, hilarious!!!

17. Wylson says

I never noticed the Robin Williams likeness on this coin. But it definately fits. I’ve always felt the Lucretia look like the Borq queen from Star Trek.

18. merryxmasmrscrooge says

Since the 2011 spouses seem not so popular, the best strategy I see is to delay the release of the 2012s. THis will increase anticipation of the populace motivating them to buy more. This business strategy has been implemented for thousands of years.

The 2012’s are WAY behind schedule, even worse than last year. The first two should already be on sale, and the third by early September.

I have serious doubts that the Mint will continue to adhere to the practice of ending sales of the prior year coin when the corresponding current year coin goes on sale. That “approximately one year” business was an internal policy they came up with, not something that was mandated. As such, it can be modified at any time. I’ll bet there are still hundreds each of Lucy Hayes and Lucretia Garfields that were struck, and since selling-prior year coins alongside current year coins seems to be the “new norm” for the Mint, I’m afraid they will leave them available until they’ve sold each and every last one of them. That will totally ruin the low-mintage scenario. Lucy Hayes should go off-sale in early September, and there’s no WAY the sales numbers will come anywhere close to the sellout levels of the first two if sales are ended then as in prior years. I’m hoping I’m wrong about them remaining for sale, but I’ve got a really bad feeling I’m not.

20. Dave in CT. says

Wylson;

“I’ve always felt that Lucretia look like Borq Queen from Star Trek”

OH REALLY !

I always felt Lucretia looked like Larry from the 3 Stooges.