Proof Mary Todd Lincoln First Spouse Coins Sold Out

The proof version of the 2010 Mary Todd Lincoln First Spouse Gold Coin has sold out at the US Mint. This joins the uncirculated version of the coin, which had sold out more than four months earlier on June 1.

The proof Mary Todd Lincoln coin had been included in the Mint’s Last Opportunity section, with sales scheduled to end on December 1, 2011. Apparently customer orders exhausted the entire remaining inventory of coins before this deadline. This situation is something that the US Mint’s specifically mentions as a possibility for the Last Opportunity products.

With the latest sell out, there are no longer any 2010-dated First Spouse Gold Coins available from the US Mint. The majority of these coins had sold out before the anticipated end of sales. In previous years, coins of the series had generally remained available for approximately one year, with the sales ending date selected to match the release date for the coin one year ahead in the schedule. For reasons unknown, the US Mint did not produce enough of the 2010 issues to last for the expected duration of the offerings.

The last reported sales figures for the 2010 First Spouse coins are shown below:

Proof Unc Total
Abigail Fillmore 6,140 3,489 9,629
Jane Pierce 4,843 3,333 8,176
Buchanan’s Liberty 7,304 5,348 12,652
Mary Todd Lincoln 6,903 3,760 10,663

The maximum mintage assigned to the Fillmore, Pierce, and Buchanan’s Liberty coins was 15,000 across both proof and uncirculated options. Expecting a higher level of interest for the Lincoln coin, the US Mint set the maximum for the issue at 20,000. Ultimately, the Buchanan’s Liberty coin, which featured the classic design from the Liberty $10 Gold Coin, proved to be more popular.

Looking ahead, the US Mint will release the next issue of the series featuring Lucretia Garfield on December 1, 2011. The proof and uncirculated version of the other 2011-dated issues featuring Eliza Johnson, Julia Grant, and Lucy Hayes remain available for sale.

Comments

1. Wylson says

zzzz…. zzzzz….. zzzz….. yawn…. If MLT has potential it’s probably going to be the unc, since the mintage is half.

2. Leo S. says

I for one enjoy collecting the FS series. To have most of you display boredom and disdain with the series is a bit disturbing. These are the wives of the Presidents out our country. They have stood by their husbands during some of the worst of times this country has experiences. I’m sure many of the Presidents would not have survived had it not been for the First Ladies. I hope as time goes by that more of you will see this series in a better light. It is a very historic series and I think worthy of collection. However, I must admit, the prices are getting a bit steep.

Good luck to you all who got their orders in for the 25th silver. I know we will all enjoy them.

3. FSCollector says

Woohoo! I was afraid the total was going to go above 7,000 before Dec. 1. I’m very thrilled to see they sold out.

4. ClevelandRocks says

Pretty funny they raised the mintage max to 20k and sold only less than 7k in such a long time. I bought recently (proof) and it actually looks pretty nice.

I’m pretty upset about the quality control from the Mint. I’m on my 3rd Mt Hood still with nicks and an obvious spot, and my Glacier just arrived with a cracked capsule. I’m tired of having to go the post office!

Have the design candidates for the 2012 First Spouse coins been revealed yet? I’m hoping the Frances Cleveland coins look more different from each other than the Grover Cleveland coins do! I’m also hoping that the style of the Alice Paul coin differs enough to make it obvious she was not the wife of a president.

6. Dan says

Ordered one on 11-2 and went to backordered with delivery still 11-24. Confirmed with mint yesterday that it still will ship and they said yes. I wonder if it will be fresh or a return??? Any idea what they do with the returns??

There has not been much interest in the FS gold coin series. Many of the coins are selling at bullion or current US Mint price values. Sure there’s an exception, like the uncirculated Julia Tyler FS coin. But that’s an exception. If you’re willing to spend $1,000s and speculate on the long-term growth potential of coins in the FS series, you’re taking a chance.

8. Wylson says

Dan, “I wonder if it will be fresh or a return??? Any idea what they do with the returns??” I believe it depends on the return reason that the previous person sent back on the return slip. They may destroy the unacceptable quality returns or a portion of them. The rest probably get recycled.

Wylson,

Hee hee. “Recycled.” That’s a nice way of saying “shipped out to some other sorry sucker”, isn’t it? 🙂

Honestly, some returns probably DON’T have anything wrong with them for most collectors. It seems some are so particular, it’s borderline psychotic. I honestly think that a truly “perfect” coin does not exist. Even the big grading companies will grade a coin with one number one day, then grade that exact same specimen with a different number another day. That’s why I’ve never really been a believer in such things. Like others have said, buy the COINS, not labels or slabs!

10. David W says

I’ve seen some earlier FS coins grade as low at PR64 or so… I don’t think the Mint has anything that they would define as “unacceptable quality returns” unfortunately…

11. DCDave says

I have also had problems with the ATB 5 oz quality (cracked holders, yellow spots, rim nicks, etc).

If folks want to speculate on long term, future premiums for the First Spouse coins, my advice to you would be to wait until the $1 coin program appears headed for cancellation. Whatever the last coin in the series is (or perhaps its predecessor if a flood of orders comes in from others thinking the same thing) will be the one to get, since that will have the lowest mintage figures and will be the last coin in the series.

Should the $1 coin program NOT cancel, my general expectation is that the price of gold will keep rising, and thus sales of these coins will keep falling. In this case, the “best” coin to buy will either be the one produced at the very end of the program, or if there is a massive sustained collapse in gold prices (drops under $1000 and stays there), the last coin to go out of stock before the price correction hit.

I am not interested in the series and am not a flipper, so I will not be buying any of these regardless.

13. Wylson says

DCDave, I sent a couple of the ATBs back due to some reasons you mentioned. I’m hoping they didn’t get sent back to stock. I marked them as unacceptable quality. The final numbers for these will at least be down a little. Maybe 26,780 for example, instead of the minted amount of 27,000.

14. HarryB says

As the Captain observes, the last issue, if the First Spouse series is cancelled ,will be the one to buy. I have been purchasing these in proof and unc since 07, and plan to continue, as long as I can afford to do so. I expect the series to get very popular as the modern era approaches, say from Eleanor Roosevelt and on, with the Jackie O issue being a quick sellout. Only time will tell if interest in the modern issues ignites interest in the earlier coins.

15. joe says

The Liberties are the best design by far. I figure if Mary Lincoln didn’t sell out quickly, then I don’t expect Eleanor Roosevelt or Jackie to do much better. I mean…think about it…Abraham Lincoln or Roosevelt and Kennedy? Not a contest. Both Eleanor and Jackie were married to philanderers and Jackie admitted to her share of affairs.

I’m sorry…that’s what I think about when I buy these things. But hey…that’s just me.

In my case joe, none of these people look any good on a coin. The one exception where I’d say otherwise is the Sarah Polk coin. Unfortunately, I did not have the money to buy it at the time, and have not found any of the more recent releases to be of any interest.

I agree with the Captain. Even though most of the latter FS releases have low mintages (and ALL of the FS gold coins have low mintage by historical standards), there is very little demand for any of them. That’s why secondary market prices are relatively low, considering their mintages.

Mintages alone do not determine secondary market values. Look at what has happened with the 5 ounce ATB silver P coins. Flippers thought that mintages of 33,000 for the 2010 coins would lead to huge profits. NOT!

18. joe says

The FS series is definitely not a short-term investment; however, I think long-term is still up in the air. Who knows what the next generation of collectors will want. Low mintages of even the ugliest coins still demand premiums.

I was part of a US Mint focus group several years ago (pre-FS) that questioned us about this series. Many in the room questioned this series and everyone down to the last man and woman questioned the metal (gold) being proposed for this offering. Everyone thought silver at best should be used, and that perhaps the presidents themselves should be on the obverse of the coin. Based on sales, I guess the US Mint knows best…

19. joe says

Hidalgo,

I have a difficult time comparing the 5 ounce coins to any “normal” coin. The 5 ouncers are just oddities made out of precious metals. Again, they may be worth something years out…just not now.

Consider the 1995-W ASE. It has similar mintages to the 5 ouncers, both are made of silver, and one is much smaller (less PM content). Yet the smaller coin attracts a huge premium over the larger coin with roughly the same mintage. It’s all about collectibility…nothing more.

The new RP ASE and W coins will have a mintage of 100K (3X the 5 ouncers). However, I bet the ASEs command a larger premium over the 5 ouncers long-term because the ASE coin is so much more collectible.

The mint produces “normal” coins and niche coins. Any ASE coin is normal and the FS and 5 ouncers are niche. One hundred years out, who knows what will be in demand.

20. Broooster says

Joe, when you are talkign about the ASE’s and the 100K mintage, I think you may be talking about the RP and the S mint mark coin. The W can be bought seperately from the mint. There will be a lot more than 100K of the W’s sold.

For all of you who do not like nor collect this series that’s fine. However, for anyone that has bought ant of these pure gold coins, you must admit the details are fantsatic. And once you fatcor in that there are so few of these made, well, one appreciates them even more. I have only collected the proofs,(can’t afford more), but I think these coins are beautiful, Oh, I forgot to mention, I also have 10 oz of pure gold!

Craig,

I agree, I too still collect this series and hope to be able to finish it. Since I’ve been putting together a proof set and two sets of uncirculateds, it’s getting VERY expensive to keep up. I had originally started out buying two sets of each type, but had to give up on the second proof after 2008. When I have to cut another one out, I guess it will have to be the second uncirculated set.

I wonder, should I go ahead and do that now, and capitalize on the value of some of the individual releases like Julia Tyler and the Jackson/Van Buren Liberties? Trying to sell a complete set at the end would be tough to do because of the high cost, and shipping/insurance would be risky. I could make quite a bit selling them off individually right now since they were all bought along the way for much lower prices in the early years. But, we don’t know what gold will be worth in 2016. They could be worth even more by then because of gold alone.

It’s obvious that the interest in this series right now is not great, hence the low sales. However, it’s been the case so many times in the past that items that seemingly no one wanted while for sale at the Mint later command nice premiums due to rarity. I just don’t see these FS coins never having some collectible value over their bullion in the future. The allure of micro-mintages is universal. When one of the rare coins is offered for sale in an auction, it only takes two people who want it to drive the price up pretty high. I doubt there will ever be a time when at least two people don’t want these coins.

23. joe says

Brad,

I have to agree with your sentiments…

Although I don’t like many of the designs, one never knows how things will turn out long-term.

Although it may be an “apples to oranges” comparison, the $20 UHR Gold coin comes to mind. Everyone wanted it when it was released (like the FS coins). Once the Mint raised the household limits and it was readily available, the price dove on the secondary market. A little over 100K were minted and all the flippers were screaming that there were way too many. It was the perfect time to buy and those who liked the design did so. An NGC MS70 with the OGP was selling for less than $1800 on eBay for a period. About one year after the Mint pulled the UHR, the prices started to rise. Now NGC lists this coin at roughly $4.2K and an MS69 at about $3.4K.

So whether you like the FS or not, nobody can say with certainty that it won’t payoff as an investment.

24. Ikaika says

@Joe

You got some good points here. I take the Jackie Robinson commemorative $5 Unc gold coin as an example. IMHO, I feel the coin is as ugly as some of the First Spouses. One can argue that it is one of the lowest mintage of the commemorative series and that’s the reason for such a premium. But if we take mintage as a factor only, wouldn’t the FS follow the same faith? It also has a greater gold content. Beauty in both cases is not a factor, IMHO again.

@Joe and @Ikaika –

The UHR and Jackie Robinson gold coins, unlike the FS gold coins, are stand-alone designs that are not part of a series. That can make a difference in terms of demand and secondary market values. There are too many examples to post here.

Brad, I agree with your sentiments.

Hidalgo, What you said about secondary market values of the FS coins is simply not true. ONLY the 4 2007 coins sell for bullion-related prices. ALL the other coins sell for a substantial premium. Even apart from the increase in gold, many FS issues have done very well, not just the Tyler coins.

@Louis –

What I consider to be “substantial” premiums (and I’m referring to ungraded coins)are values of say, more than 5, 10, or more above the face/bullion value or sales price of the coin. I don’t know of a single FS gold coin that meets that critereon, not even the uncirculated Julia Tyler.

I think a coin whose values has increased several times the original price is pretty substantial. It is just not realistic to expect a coin to increase by a factor of 5 or 10 esp. only a couple years after release. That hardly ever happens with modern coins, and it took decades for classic coins to increase by 500% or 1000%.

29. Ikaika says

I agree with Louis. Most of the FS have increased in value, also helped by the increase in gold prices. I purchased the unc subset coins from the mint ($410, $641, $641, $866) and been collecting the other unc’s with mintage below 3K. My recent purchase was for the Lucy Hayes after that last dip ($966). If I would sell all of them today, I could make a good profit. BTW, have you guys seen the 2012 FS designs recommendation by the CFA? I think the Mint read our comments on how ugly the latest FS looked. The ladies in the 2012 coins are actually pretty. Frances Cleveland even reminds me of the late Princess Di 🙂

30. larry says

Hi!

Thought I’d chime in on the FS coins. Getting 5-10 times back on any coin, face/bullion is the ultimate rarity and governed by bullion movement more than anything, and that being only in recent times. Sure, if I have a nice looking penny of recent mintage, with no real collector value, and you need it to fill a hole, I’m sure I’ll get a dime from you for it. I’ve ben collecting the FSs, Pf&Unc., since they came out. The early to midissues are pure profit, based mainly on bullion increases, particularly the 4 or 5 extra Madison coins bought when the mint was offering them at a lower price than the later issues being sold. Trouble going forward is that the FSs are becoming more and more costly to keep up with and as you do keep purchasing, your overall average of profit on your existing set goes down commensurately. You can keep your head above water in this respect as long as bullion holds its value but once it starts heading south, so do the FSs. The temptation here is that the higher the offering price goes for the FS coins, the less sold and the more collectable or valuable you would hope they become. That’s basically the shot you’re taking as both a collector and/or an investor-speculator. I think it will be very interesting when time catches up to current or recent spouses, how many complete sets of Pf. & Unc., surface for sale and then, who would could or would purchase such a set, and what the price would be. I was as subscriber to the 1995 Olympics 32 coin set and never gave much thought to it as they came in but they certainly have gone up in value. Likewise, I took a shot on 3 Pf and 2 Unc. Library of Congress bi-metallics, which was a home run, as was the Jackie Robinsons, in part. The Jackie, I thought, would be a fast sell-out, based on numismatic interests, baseball, and Black history, so I bought them all. Not too many other people felt the same apparently and the coins and sets stayed on sale forever. In the end, it paid off and the Unc. was a grandslam. Those were the big winners, along with various anniversary sets, and limited editions, but I’ve plenty of losers, too, only I tend not to look at them very often. I, by the way, have never “flipped a coin” and preferring the old system of “swapping” or trading, as I did as a paper boy, but that way, I’m sorry to say, appears to be history. The end result is that I’m questioning myself as to whether I’m still a collector, or have become a hoarder. As to the chance of being a speculator, I guess we all are in one way or another when we start collecting. Sorry for the diversion but I think eventually we’ll see onlyabout 100-200 complete sets of FS coins, not allowing for later assembled sets. They’ll be some rarities I suppose due to very low mintage and possibly an error showing up along the way, but the only one that I am sure will be an absolute sell-out when and if it comes,will be the “First Gentleman”, especially if the militant feminists at the time seek to have his coin reduced to half-eagle size! It’s also too bad that there is not an appropriate display box available for the FS coins; the individual ones are nice but they take up too much space, must be opened individually, are useless if the coins are graded, and make it a royal pain to look at the set collectively. OKAY, now you have the ramblings of a collector with back pain who couldn’t sleep at this tie of the morning. Sorry for any tedium! All the best, Larry

Larry,

Speaking of a display box, that reminds me. A few months before the First Spouse coins went on sale, the Mint briefly opened up subscriptions for the series, in the form of sets of four coins. There was such a tremendous response to that, the option was quickly cancelled and the decision was made to sell the coins individually. Those who subscribed were originally supposed to receive a large wooden display box that would have housed the entire series as a free gift. After the subscriptions were cancelled, that was never mentioned again. I was looking forward to that box, as it would be a great way to view and display the complete set. I’m afraid it will never surface again, and it would be too much trouble now for the Mint to bother with most likely. The first four compartments in the box would need to be smaller, since the capsules were smaller for the 2007 issues. Making all of the compartments the same size to house the capsules being used from 2008 onward would force buyers of the 2007 coins to get new capsules.

I guess those four-coin boxes the Mint sold a few years ago were simply the ones that had already been manufactured for the subscription sets. Once the idea was scrapped, they must have decided to sell those boxes instead of chucking them. That would explain why they never continued to sell those in later years.

I’ll just be happy if the complete set display boxes are offered after all.

32. phil says

@larry

I use the Whitman book for the FS medals. They look sweet with their printed names under them and there is room for a few extras, which you will need for the presidents with 2 spouses as for some reason they chose not to include the second one. I fill the extras beyond that with buffs, which fit perfectly, but if needed later due to EXTENSION of the series, I’m covered. I think the book could accommodate one more page as well, if necessary. Fill it up and you’ll have 30-50K sitting in your lap. Peace and love, Phil.

33. larry says

Hi, Brad & Phil,

thanks for the comments. In re the four coin boxes first offered and then cancelled, the same applied to the initial offering of a subscription. For some reason I don’t remember, I thought my subsription was good on the first two offerings; being wrong, I had to buy them on the secondary market. Regarding mint boxes, I am a bit lost on their wisdom. Only in the last two years have I sent anything in for grading, and I’ve been collecting since I was 11 or 12 yrs old, delivering papers; that was fifty years ago! Anyway the insert that the mint uses is only good for the round capsule, so slabbing a coin makes them useless in total. I really don’t think it impossible for the maker of these boxes to accommodate slabs by just making the disc opening the center of a rectangulag opening going left to right; this way, you can make either use of it. Alternatively, the wooden holder inside the box can often be removed; why not offer one for slabs? I intended to go to an old woodworker to see if he could jig one out for a test but haven’t found the time yet. Slabbing I opposed (and still do) until recently, when I saw the differences in prices. I always liked to at the least hold the coin in my hand but realized that that was for my “real collection” of genuinely old coins that saw some circulation and thereby had some history to them, which holding would let my mind travel with. To tell the truth, the late issues, while part of my collection, were merely “purchased” and
    not “collected”, which to me puts a whole different spin on them. Other than what they are now worth or their low mintages, there is no real story to a modern purchase; they never saw the light of day in most cases; old, circulated coins that you can touch let you think where they were, who may have handled them, and what they may have purchased. That is my real trip in collecting, it’s not the coin but what it carries with it! By the way, Phil, thanks about the Whitman book. I have two extra 32 coin Olympics chests that inpressed me with their workmanship enough to buy them. In the meantime, they sit empty until I can figure out the right combination of half eagles, silver dollars and half-dollars to put into them. Well, take care and thanks for your indulgence. By the way, to get off the subject for a second, does anyone have any feelings on whether the Silver Eagle set will be worth just as much with individual cois slabbed and offered as the set together will be? I ask because my friend’s kid opened my mint box up before I could send it in sealed and now I’ve lost the chance to get the bullion, and other two certified as part of the anniversary set. It ticked me off but, you can’t yell at the kid. Take care and God Bless, Larry

34. joe says

Larry,

Please let us know if you find out a way to present slabbed FS coins. Like you said, a woodworker with a jig might be able to do something nice. Obviously, the difference in the sizes of the PCGS and NGC slabs would have to be accounted for. I actually believe someone could make some decent money building customer display boxes for other series as well such as slabbed AGB, ASE, AGE, Anniversary sets, etc.

Spouse Coin Display

Phil, Brad, Joe & Larry
    I’ve displayed my sets in Whitman Medal Candy Boxes.
    Box holds 3 layers of 15 coins each. Here what I did:
    1. Cannibalize a couple old Whitman Dollar coin folders (Peel the dark blue covers off, save the light blue coin hole parts.
    2. Cut to fit a 9 hole and 6 hole section to be rubber cemented to a 9 1/2″ x
    7 1/2″ white 1/4″ foam board.
    3. Make some labels on your compute to cover old coin folder info.
    Coins look great and you can store away all the Gold mint boxes.
    4. Eat the candy first !

Olde Bill the Sailor

PS I did my AtB’s 5ozers too ! 5 to a Layer, their Easy to get too and enjoy.

Brad,

I wouldn’t sell any of your FS coins now unless you need it to keep your other complete sets going. The Julia Tyler, Buchanon, etc., won’t lose value and gold may continue to rise. The fact you have 2 complete sets so far of the uncirculated is fantastic! What made you decide to give up the second proof rather than the uncirculated? (I know they command a greater premium, but I sure like the way many of the details emerge in the proofs!)

I may need to get a book as well. At one point I lined up all of the boxes and they looked nice, but the boxes aren’t practical when one has more than a handful.

My 25th Silver Dollar Anniversity order is still “in process” and I worry about getting rejects if they ship me anything at all.

Lastly, who will be buying the FS Garfield and when? I’m afraid with the timing, (December 1), this will be a very low minted design and could end up being another key coin. Thoughts, comments?

Craig,

I decided to drop the second proof FS set because I figured the uncirculateds would have higher value due to lower mintages. I still have the extra proofs of the 2007 and 2008 issues, as well as an extra proof 2010 Buchanan’s Liberty. I figured I might as well keep the second set of proof Liberty coins intact. That set should always be popular. So, I coughed up the dough to buy an extra proof of that one.

I probably won’t sell any of my extras right now, since I don’t need the money to keep the three sets going (for now, anyway.) That may change, depending on what happens with the price of gold. But, most of the reason I dropped the extra proof set is because I had to buy a new car in 2009 when my old one bit the dust, and that $632.19 monthly payment proved too hard on my coin budget. But, that was a 36-month 0% financing deal, and the final payment is only a few months away. That will free up a lot of cash, so my three remaining FS sets just might survive!

The question is, how do you sell a complete set of uncirculated FS coins when the program is over? I’m sure there would be plenty of people who would want it, but who would fork over the kind of money needed to buy it? I wonder how many complete sets will even exist? It definitely wouldn’t be something you would see very often!

Brad,

Thanks for the story. I think the only way to sell them down the road will be indvidually since it will be a lot of coin! (No pun intended). I suppose you might be able to sell them through a dealer, but I don’t have any knowledge or experience in this. You often see on ebay that a single coin goes for more than a pair, (uncirculated and proof), and recently an individual sold a nearly compete set, (missiing one coin only…can’t remember whigh one), for about 35K which was almost spot price. I suppose he either needed the money in a hurry, or didn’t want to go through the hassles of selling 35 or so coins indvidually. So you will have a bit of a decision to make when that time comes. I personally would sell the 2007’s first since they were the most minted, and see what how it goes. Then decide if you want to go that route, or attempt to sell the more valuable ones all at once.

Having never actually seen an uncirculated spouse coin in person, how do they look? Are the the finer details as apparant as the proofs? What is your favorite? Mine is the Buchannon Liberty…I love the sitting liberty with the flag. I do have a couple that have some flaws that are easy to see…especially the Pierce that I bought just before it sold out…no way to send it back and still have it. I hope I’m able to pick up Garfield fairy soon after it comes out. My gut feeling is that the mint won’t make many of them and beimg a December issue, they can’t make more.

Craig,

I might break them up and sell them by year. The 2007’s would only bring a small premium over spot, but the 2008’s and onward would do pretty well.

I like the look of the Uncirculated FS coins. The details on them show through nicely, especially under my 16X loupe. The Proofs are so frosted, some of the tiny details are harder to see. However, I really like the looks of the proofs too, with that sharp contrast between the images and the background. So, since I enjoy both finishes, I would have to abandon the second Uncirculated set if I ever got strapped for cash. I don’t think I could bring myself to bail out of the Proofs entirely.

I could be wrong of course, but I still have the feeling that the Lucy Hayes Uncirculated coin will be the lowest-mintage 2011 FS. Lucretia Garfield will most likely not take that prize, since the Mint won’t want to shortchange themselves and produce too few of that one. It’s a tough call on the final coin, since it can be sold for almost the entire following year. Lucy Hayes, on the other hand, has had slow enough sales for the first few months of availability that the Mint probably won’t want to strike very many more of them for fear of over-producing them and having leftovers at the end. It may turn out that Lucy Hayes Unc might have similar sales numbers to Julia Tyler, or maybe less. With no crystal ball, it’s impossible to say for certain. Only time will tell.

I plan to pick up my Lucretia Garfields in either the first or second week. We should get a price drop this week to the $1,700-$1,749.99 tier. If that level holds for next week, I might go ahead and buy on day one. If it looks possible to get another decrease for the next week, I’ll hold off. If it looks like there will be an INCREASE the following week, I’ll definitely buy before that. Each tier makes a $75 difference to me, so it can add up in a hurry! I just don’t want to wait too long, as I don’t want returns from the first wave of shipments making their way back into the distribution chain before I get my coins. I don’t want any sloppy seconds! 🙂

Brad, Thanks for your reply. At times I have to wait do to finances and I have received some coins that I’m sure were returned. By the time I got the Pierce, it was sold out. So I kept it rather than buying one on the secondary market. It will be interesting to see the final mintages of Hayes vs Garfield. The one trend I see is these newer issues have historically low mintages and soon after sell out, they move in price. I’m just glad I bought the ones I did.

I too follow the gold prices and try to time my purchase, (if I have the cash available). It only makes sense. I’ll have to stop by a coin dealer one of these days and check out an uncirulated FS coin. (Of coarse, he may not even have any). Selling them buy year would be much easier for you, but I’m not sure if you’ll get the same premium that you would if you sold them seperately. More folks can part with $1300-$1500 than say $5000 or $6000. Good luck on finishing your collections.

FYI, Larry & Phil Nov 12 @9:58am

Whitman revised & updated Spouse medal album (0100-WCA-055.3)
    includes ALL spouse’s up to Betty Ford on 5-9 coin pages.
    I bought it from Brooklyn Gallery of Coins & Stamps Inc cost $14.98
    plus about $7. sh.
    the Dansco album is no longer available.
    Whitman is very good, but it’s not Dansco.

Olde Sailor Bill