Recent Sell Outs at the United States Mint

2014 Gold BuffaloRecently a few products have sold out at the United States Mint. This includes the 2014 Proof Gold Buffalo Coin, the individual 2014-W Uncirculated Silver Eagle, and the individual one-half and one-quarter ounce 2014 Proof Gold Eagles.

With the change over to the US Mint’s new website, there has been less emphasis placed on sold out products making them less readily apparent. Shortly after the new website was launched, I had inquired about the removal of the sold out section which had previously been used for the old website. I had received a response that during the discovery process before the new online catalog was launched, it was decided to move away from a specific sold out section. Rather, sold out products would be indicated with a flag and then removed from the online catalog after a certain amount of time.

Currently, the Mint’s website is showing the sold out coins flagged as “Out of Stock” but with a new bullet point at the top of the product page which states in red “This product is sold out and no longer available for sale.”

The 2014 Proof Gold Buffalo had originally gone on sale May 8, 2014 with the sell out indicated some time last week. At the start of sales, the coins were priced at $1,640 each with the last indicated price at $1,540 each. There was no stated product limit or household ordering limits imposed.

Last week’s sales report shows total orders received for 20,447 units. This would represent the highest sales total for the Proof Gold Buffalo in the past three years. The 2012-dated coin had a final audited mintage of 19,715. The 2013-dated regular proof coin had last reported sales of 18,584, which would actually represent the lowest mintage for the regular one ounce proof version for the entire series.

Also now indicated as sold out is the individual 2014-W Uncirculated Silver Eagle. This represents a collectible uncirculated version of the popular bullion coin, which is struck on a specially burnished blank and carries the “W” mint mark. The coin originally went on sale April 10, 2014 with no stated product limit or household ordering limit imposed. The product was priced at $43.95 for the duration of availability. Last reported sales for the product are 215,885 units.

Although this individual version has sold out, the 2014-W Uncirculated Silver Eagle still remains available for sale as part of the 2014 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set priced at $44.95. Recent sales for this product are 19,834 units.

Last year’s 2013-W Uncirculated Silver Eagle had reached last reported sales of 178,941 units for the individual version with additional last reported sales of 43,150 within the 2013 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set.

The final recent sell outs occurred for the individual one-quarter ounce and one-half ounce 2014 Proof Gold Eagles. These coins are also included in the 2014 Proof Gold Eagle 4 Coin Set, which is currently indicated as “Out of Stock” and cannot be ordered although it is not yet indicated as “sold out”.

The 2014 Proof Gold Eagle products originally went on sale April 3, 2014. The individual one-quarter ounce and individual one-half ounce coins each had a product limit of 10,000 from a mintage limit of 25,000. The latest sales report shows last reported sales of 5,964 units for the individual half ounce and 6,135 for the individual quarter ounce. The four coin set shows sales of 8,900 units. Together these sales figures project a mintage above the levels of the prior two years for the respective denominations.

Comments

I usually try to make sure all of my orders from the Mint are at least $300, so I can avoid the entire FedEx Dumb-Post mess. It does tend to get a little expensive, though!

2. Bernie in FL says

@Keep Calm & Stack

Thanks for the info. I sent 3 C&C’s in to PCGS 2 weeks ago from the opening orders from the Mint. I figure I will get whatever PCGS wants to send me. They always do. I did ask for a special label and (or) First Strike label, but they never read anything I add.

As soon as I get the 3 back from PCGS I will take some pictures of them with the labels PCGS sends me and get them out to you guys for a look see.

3. The Real "Cool" Dave says

If Jon is not causing chaos and raising Hell, why are we concerned whether he is here or not?

4. Bob R says

After spending close to $1k in grading fees PCGS sent me a free 2015 calender, what a deal. My Christmas is now blessed.

5. Not Dave says

@ Bob R
    How much did that $1k up the value of your coins?
    If you spent $1k in grading fees and it increased your coin values by $2k, then you made out pretty well.

6. Bernie in FL says

WOW! You got a Calendar? I spent that over the year and got Zip! I did however get Nothing but 69 graded coins that should have been 70’s so the grader could get his percentages for the Month on 69’s since I was not one of those Mega Coin Companies. They drive me crazy……

NGC here I come 🙂

7. Bernie in FL says

WAIT!!! I had a epiphany. How about I just go with OGP and call it a day. No more wasting money and if I get my monthly need to touch the Darn Coin. I can actually open the Capsule and hold the coin which I cannot when Slabbed…..

8. Bob R says

I feel you pain Bernie. Maybe I will put the calender on the bay, get it graded by NGC as Early Releases.

9. Bernie in FL says

Got a question. I read awhile go on this thread that an individual submitted a Coin 23 times to a grading Company until he got a better grade. Does this bother anyone?

Seems he should have gotten the same grade on the 24th time. Why would they change their mind other than grading is subjective, and the poor man (now from grading cost), was Lucky to find a Grader with a smudged grading loop and given a better grade.

Just seems weird that a 1995-W ASE at 69 goes for 4k and a 70 goes for 40k. Gives these Coin Companies or individuals an incentive to keep sending in a coin until they get their grade they want.

Any ideas?

10. Jerry Diekmann says

Some day some of those collectors who paid so much for grades and labels will wonder why they ever fell into the trap. I think Bernie in FL summed up the situation very well – not only is grading subjective, but it matters to the TPG who is submitting the coins. If you’re a big dealer, you get a bump-up in grade, and probably a kick-back, because the price/value difference in a 70 coin is so much greater than a 69. I don’t buy modern graded coins. I remember when a MS65 grade was a coin to cherish. Grade inflation has gone rampant, maybe even insane. The bubble will pop some day – it always has before.

11. TimTom says

@Doug – I don’t think it’s AZ-02, the ear should be much closer to the tip of the horn, with the tip curl in a different plane as the trunk portion of it.

12. Tinto says

@Louis

The Mint seems to be messing up …when I ordered the 2 Sac C&C on 20 Nov I also ordered a bag of “S” atb quarter and three circulating ATB quarter set … the Mint ‘s order status page indicated all were shipped and I waited over a week for it to arrive then I noticed that the 3 circ atb quarter sets were missing

. In the past when the Mint did a split shipment they would always make a notation on their email alert and on their website … (like the BHOF coins I ordered – the dollar and halves got shipped out first and there was an alert to that effect and so I knew what else to expect) but this time no alerts … nothing. I didn’t get that much worried since it was less than $20 and lo and behold the three turned up on 9 December as a different shipment … truly crappy

13. Bob R says

Just something for discussion. Most here on this site loves coins, but also the metals. I enjoy both in my safe.
    My question amongst everyone is the ETF’s out there. Why would anyone buy bullion PM from a dealer when the market has it available without the 10% markups? SLV, USLV, GLD, UGLD, NUGT, DUST, Let’s here the chatter why you would or would not personally hold the metals and coins over the ETF’s, just curious. As my favorite music video goes “Just shake shake shake”

14. GoldFishin says

@BOB R- being as I have traded most of those ETF’s, including the leveraged Direxion ones, I feel I can give an unbiased opinion.
    Try taking delivery of any of your gold from one of them.

Also, if you know anything about the Direxion leveraged ETF’s, you know that they are rebalanced each trading day, normally at the end of the trading day. Over time you lose value in any of them. It is almost like they charge a commission at the end of each day to hold them. They are short term trading vehicles only in my opinion and are not appropriate as a long term investment.

The Velocity Etf’s are even worse, they lose even more value on a daily basis. I actually only trade options on any of the 3X leveraged etf’s, and then only very short term option contracts. They just are not appropriate as a long term investment.

GLD and SLV can be held as longer term positions, if all you are interested in is trading the price swings in the PM’s, but like I said, if you are buying gold and silver as currency protection, inflation hedge, etc. AND want to have the metals in your hand in a crisis…forget it….won’t happen.

I await Cagcrisp’s response….I think he will have very insightful comments

15. Keep Calm & Stack On says

Bernie – I’m in your court – I spent close to that and didn’t get no flip’n calendar! Didn’t get anything.., except 69 graded coins that should have been 70’s so the grader could get his percentages for the month. Man, but do I have some of the most beautiful BHoFs and gold Kennedy’s…, 69’s of course! My sub EXPIRES in April.

Bob R – I hold a sizable EFT position, in the tank of course. Buying bullion is:

– far more fun,
    – complements the collector in me (AtBs, Zombucks, etc),
    – act as some of my savings account holdings which won’t be loosing $ in a year or two due to inflation
    – isn’t taxable (for now anyway)
    – if the $%!+ hits the fan.., Ag, 9mm, .308, a meat smoker.., & I’m good!
    – it’s more manly to try to lift a 50 cal ammo box for a bullion than an EFT monthly statement 😉

16. cagcrisp says

@Bob R, If you want to TRADE the metals you go with GLD or SLV or a similar Commodity ETF. IF you want to OWN the metals long term then you want to own a Commodity Stock ETF like the GDX.

I OWN stock ETF’s. I Trade commodity ETF’s.

I Trade USO and UNG. I am a consultant for a large tire distributor and am looking at getting them in a Long term position concerning Oil. I will go with either the OIH or XOP or Maybe a small amount in a leveraged DIG but will not pile into the USO for them. USO is trading only for me…

I have a large physical amount of Gold and as I posted on this board several months ago I thought that Gold was a $1,200 commodity. I did Not want to sell physical Gold so I shorted the GLD. I rode the market down and closed out my Short position and made the difference between $1,275.00 Gold and $1,200.00 Gold…

17. cagcrisp says

If we get a London PM Gold fix above $1,200.00 we will have a Gold price Increase TODAY. The re-pricing Usually happens around Noon EDT. Prices will increase $25.00 for the FS series, $37.50 for the Gold Kennedy and $50.00 for the only remaining AGE…

So you have approximately 4 more hours to purchase your Gold before prices Increase (assuming Gold doesn’t drop $20+ in 4 hours)…

18. stephen m says

you make it sound tempting. Save some money if you are planning on making a gold purchase from the mint.

19. cagcrisp says

@stephen m, I’m Really not trying to encourage anyone. The 2013 FS should go Off any time. There is only 6,301 Gold Kennedy left for Sale and last week there was 1,059 sold so I would suspect another 1k could go out the door before the price increase and the 1oz Gold unc AGE could be pulled at any time. IF you are a buyer of the 2014 FS then you have another year to decide if you think $1,200.00 is a good level on Gold or not…

20. cagcrisp says

this is PURE speculation. When the $1 Coin and Currency comes back on Sale:
    1. There will be an email sent out to those that chose the Remind Me button
    2. There will be HH limits

Pure speculation….

To the Mint,
    1. Why have a Remind Me button if you don’t use it? You Screwed up Royally on this offering.
    2. Don’t compound it by letting a few get there hands on all they can so they can IMMEDIATELY go to the bay and flip. Put HH limits in place and IF someone TRULY wants these coins, let THEM have a chance at getting them.

21. IPS_STUFF says

@Cagcrisp

The opportunity to buy these sets has come up multiple times. I purchase some during initial release, then during the morning of 12/3 and again during the morning of 12/4. If someone REALLY wanted to purchase this set, there has been plenty of opportunities to do so. I will buy some more if they go on sale again, but I will continue to check both on MNB and buy going to the mints website.

22. Doug says

@TimTom you might be right about AK-05 with the image reversed. Heck it could be almost any of them as the picture is just an artist drawing a coin he could have erased and changed things around. We likely will never know unless FMTransmitter has some inside knowledge. Is he not answering because nobody has guessed correct? This is kind of like a treasure hunt! Happy Hunting.

23. cagcrisp says

@IPS_STUFF, I don’t disagree with your statements. I Bought the initial days before numbers came out. I did Not buy any more. I think the Mint screwed up on 12/03 and 12/04. Why have the Remind Me button if you are not going to use it? I have watched some of your sales on the bay. You took advantage of the offerings and you sold. You played by the rules and you Won. I have no problem with that. I gave mine away and those that I gave them to flipped them also. I just think the Mint screwed up and I don’t see any problem with selling the remaining 11,701 with HH limits of 5. If the Mint does they do and if they don’t they don’t.
    Good Luck to you If you can purchase and when you sell…

I just checked the Coin & Currency Set product page again, and noticed that the line that read “Household order limit: None” has been removed. I wonder if that means when the product comes back to sell the last remaining sets if there will be a limit, but they just haven’t decided how many yet?

25. Dave SW FL says

GoldFishin and cagcrisp

Excellent summary of trading options on paper gold. Also very sage advise ! I would only add that everyone remember that these are simply paper. In several scenarios they could vaporize. Your metal will not vaporize.

26. CasualCollector says

Just noticed that the “REMIND ME” button is back for the C&C set. Seems like they are preparing to have another (the last?) round of ordering…

27. Dave SW FL says

Samuel
    Ask Jon Corzine’s customers about that ! You are right…… They CLAIM to be backed by metal, but may be only re hypothecated paper…. Who really can be sure.
    If you can’t see, feel, weigh, and test your gold, then you can’t really be sure it is the real McCoy !

28. Dave SW FL says

Progress report on $1 C&C ship

Ordered shortly after A&L Futures notification (gee, thanks mint for still not notifying us) on 12/3
    Sent to FedEx 12/4
    Southaven, MS 12/5
    Grove City, OH 12/6
    Washington, PA 12/6
    Est delivery date. N/A

Stuck in Washington, PA ?

Why not from Grove Ccity, OH to its Akron, OH destination?

29. Dave SW FL says

And after reading about incomplete shipments, I will open my original C&C package with Glades pucks. Was going to hold out for FS potential but am now a little fearful of mint shipping incompetence. The original order came UPS due to the pucks.

30. Sith says

@Dave SW FL – Actually Jon Corzine’s customers had it worst than that, they actually had the gold but it was confiscated when MF Global went chapter 11. They claimed the gold vaporized, but what really happened was that Corzine allocated the personal gold accounts and used it to buy futures. This is the infamous rehypothecation that “gold bugs” are always talking about, anyway when the futures blew up, the banks collected the collateral which was the personal gold in the accounts. I believe they got some sort of a cash settlement at less than 100% but for sure they did not get their gold.

The lesson learned:

“The right to confiscare property, even if it is owned by clear deed or receipt by a customer not associated with the failed company.”

31. MarkInFlorida says

How can the platinum proof be out of stock? Do they stop selling until they raise the price at noon? If so, they lost a sale today. Maybe next year when the price dips again.

Rehypothecation is beyond me, what financial institution do this? Well, I guess we know the answer to that, one that doesn’t mind putting at risk other peoples livelihoods.

I just called the Mint for the fun of it to ask if an “on hold” order shipping method could be up graded. As expected the gracious cs rep there said it would be impossible. I for one will be avoiding ” smart post” from now on.

BTW, the C&C set coming back on line is exactly what the cs rep told me would happen, and that was when the “on hold” status first appeared. They can know what they are talking about at times.

33. Sith says

@MarkInFlorida – They stopped sales of the 2014 platinum proof in October.

@Dave SW FL – To elaborate in the case of MF Global, if it was a “normal” bank what happened was when the bank went under the creditors confiscated all the banks safety deposit boxes.

34. Sith says

Dustyroads – Considering that Jon Corzine testified to congress that the personal accounts totaling $1.2 billion simply “vaporized”, and he not only walked away a free man he got a $12 million golden parachute (which he wisely refused to take), I suspect everyone is now using rehypothecation

35. KEITHSTER says

@ Hawkster ya did check the invoice it was for 250 coins but they made a mistake and must have shipped me then bit-coins they were selling so they were maybe in there but I just could not see them or they escaped when I opened the box? Found a key piece of the puzzle today though before today the e-mail confirmation on shipping was missing but today it showed up !!? Check the tracking and why do you have to go to e-mail to track used to do it on site? So it was just as I had thought there it was shipping wieght 0.3 for 250 Hoovers ya right them coins never left the building! So maybe they can get their rocket guys bangs heads and figure this one out any bets? Good Day And Good Luck All:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>

36. DB says

Ordered 2 GB5’s 1oz Unc gold coins back in October when the silver Kennedy coins went on sale along with several other products. Only received 1 GB5. Had to call the Mint twice to receive the non-receipt form which I just received in the mail last week. Everybody should check their boxes and forgo saving the sealed for the FS . Seems like there are shipment problems a plenty at the USM…

37. maddogdday says

Am looking for someone that may have one each 2014 3″ bronze medals of the 911 Pentagon attack and the PA memorial that they would be willing to part with at mint cost. I was able to pick up the twin towers 3″ bronze but the other two are out of stock. Thank you for your kind consideration.

Ya’ll can weigh your boxes for possible inequities in product, come up with a formula so you don’t have to open them??

Sith, I guess the way to understand how rehypothecation can continue to be practiced is to simply see it as a loophole, one that I would absolutely want to be aware of.

KEITHSTER, Sounds like it should be an open and shut case, too bad you had to go through it though. Beerter luck next time.

40. Dave SW FL says

FM
    Not willing to take chances with these new guys. Different levels of packing material could become a fooler as could incomplete sets.

41. Dave SW FL says

But a good idea for those who must have the FS designation.

Dusty – now that’s my kinda luck…..make mine BudLuck!

TimTom says
    DECEMBER 10, 2014 AT 2:09 AM

@Doug/fmt – Again, as I stated before I’m pretty sure it’s design AK-05 that was passed over for AK-02 that Alfred suggested. Here is a link to all the candidates that year and I’m mostly positive that it’s the fifth option for Denali that the artist is shown drawing in slide 13 … http://usquarters.org/2012-america-the-beautiful-quarters-design-candidates/
    Ha, no it’s the dairy cow for Wisconsin, I think, hold on…

43. Sith says

@Dustyroads – It use to be “He who sells what isn’t his’n, must buy it back or go to prison” Now its, he who sells what isn’t his’n, must testify before congress and explain his supposed ignorance, and complain how he is the real victim as his dog will now have to eat, well dog food, and how he is now forced to fly first class instead of using the corporate jet.

Dave- you are dong better with your orders than I am. I called FedEx and was told so-called smartpost is overwhelmed by holiday mail (even my order that shipped the 2nd which is odd) and running about 5 days late. Also called the Mint about the hold orders and that is only because they are backordered.

Louis, I have always used my PO for shipping which was working out very well, but now that the Mint has apparently change it’s standard shipping by adding more than a few days to the delivery time, I’m pretty sure that the next order I have with the Mint will be shipped to my physical address. I really wish that the prior standard shipping were still in place, but I would rather pay a few more dollars and skip the aggravation.

On orders less than $300.00 that is.

BTW, I don’t believe all these shipping problems are necessarily because of the holiday season. I’m holding the Mint partly responsible.

46. Art says

I hate to say what I think of this new ordering system. It took me at least a 10 minute phone call to cancel an order that used to take a one second click. It’s now cash refunds only on returns which can really hurt when there’s a mintage limit. Not to mention the additional shipping charge that may be incurred should you reorder. I have an order in which the mint did a partial shipment and there is zero indication of that in my ordering history with no UPS tracking number. Try calling customer service so you can get put on hold, and then have to give them all of your personal id information every time you call. I think this new system absolutely stinks!

Bob R says
    DECEMBER 9, 2014 AT 10:56 PM

The stock holders thank you…

I see the rams horn now on that design..You all have great eyes! Thanks, that was fun and I concur it was the un used Denali design…Who was first? I have a prize…

Thanks, Dusty. I agree. I just had not encountered this stuff until my Everglades and Sac set orders. My JFK sets were shipped the same way and arrived on-time or early. Anyway, live and learn…..

50. Wes says

My C&C Smart Post order delivery estimate is still showing the estimate with the revised expected delivery date. Never seen one take this route. MS to Dallas departed in transit to New Mexico. Still it’s on its way.

Pitt P seemed to be a pumper for the BHOF coins. Not surprised he has gone silent but maybe he is on holiday. Seemed to get out of sorts when I only gave my opinion that I didn’t like the Gold BHOF coin as much as the Silver coins due to it’s small size.

I think with 75k for the Gold Kennedy, everyone who wanted one, got one, and if they didn’t, they will look for dealers or buyers who need the cash later on and get one close to spot as possible..

I agree, the seemingly “sweet SPOT”, pun intended, seems to be right about 50k, plus or minus….

BTW, I REALLY liked Daniel Carr’s proposed design for the Nevada quarter. That design is nice! He has a good niche going with his own stuff these days…

54. cagcrisp says

@fmtransmitter, I did NOT intend to imply that the Gold Kennedy was Sold out. I was stating that the First Gold to be re-priced was the Gold Kennedy…

55. cagcrisp says

IF I was the Mint I would take how ever many people hit the Remind ME button and enter a valid email address to calculate the HH limits…

56. Tinto says

@MarkInFlorida

I saw that the gold coins already reflect the price increase so maybe the US Mint probably only had 5k ready to sell … (wild guessing here) since platinum price did not go up above the $1,249.99 threshold for the platinum eagle price to increase … but then this is the US Mint who started selling these at $1,600 only to revise them up to $1650 shortly after ….

57. cagcrisp says

I pulled the trigger on some Oil related stocks today. I bought (and recommended to a client) buying a position in the XLE…

Trying to catch a falling knife…

58. mark says

Sold a $300 dollar coin on ebay. Buyer sends me his very specific shipping instructions. Address not paypal confirmed and after searching, I find its a warehouse in California that direct ships to foreign countrys. So thru ebay/paypal I refunded his money.

59. mark says

What got my attention was he has over 19, 000 feedbacks. And has never sold anything on ebay. (Beware of kglpass5). Plus he goes by many ebay names.

60. Teach says

I received a calendar from PCGS and I’m not even a member anymore. I don’t think I received one last year. Do they have an auto membership fee? I hope I’m not being charged for a membership I don’t want. I will have to check.

61. Teach says

I just called PCGS and I don’t have an active membership. Funny that I received a calendar and members did not 🙂

62. Ends in Error says

The 2014 Proof Platinum Eagle is now listed as Out of Stock by the US Mint. What exactly does that mean? Anyone have any insight on that?

63. Tinto says

@Teach

I think there is an autorenewal unless you cancel …

I had forgotten until two weeks ago that I had purchased a PCGS membership (as a present to myself for Christmas) and it is expiring mid December and I hadn’t made use of it at all, including the certificate for complimentary submissions .. .. now I am scrambling to see which raw coins to submit and wrestling with registered mailing requirements …. and PCGS need for a larger flip and to keep certain submissions apart ….. never done it before …… aargh

Mark,

Smart thinking. Been there, done that. Sending merchandise to an unconfirmed address is good set up for the perfect crime. Will never do that again.

65. Ends in Error says

Previously received more than 5 – so unfortunately I’m already at and past the current household limit of 5.

Oh well, not like I needed more anyway.

66. matt anderson says

US Mint just let me put base a C and C set. Red button on the item page said Back Order. When I clicked on it the web site took the order took the credit card. Looks like they are taking orders again.

67. The Real "Cool" Dave says

No can do on ordering 5 more, says household limit reached. However, they still have not shipped a single one — to tell you the truth, I don’t have a lot of faith in this Mint Director.

68. MarkInFlorida says

Sith says
    DECEMBER 10, 2014 AT 11:06 AM
    @MarkInFlorida – They stopped sales of the 2014 platinum proof in October.

But it was just released Oct. 20! How many have been sold?

69. Jerry Diekmann says

Dustyroads and Sith – That practice of selling what you don’t own is allowed by Wall Street – it’s called short selling, and it can be really turn the tables on someone who sells a stock short and then sees the stock rise in price. To me, that’s not investing, that’s just gambling.