Reverse Proof Gold Buffalo Offered During Ordering Window

Yesterday, the United States Mint officially announced the details for the upcoming 2013 American Gold Buffalo Reverse Proof Coin, issued to mark the 100th anniversary of James Earle Fraser’s design for the original Type 1 Buffalo Nickel. The coins feature frosted background fields and mirrored design elements, or the reverse of the typical cameo proof appearance.

Reverse Proof

The offering was originally proposed within a customer survey distributed in late 2012. The survey had originally suggested releasing a reverse proof version of the coin along with the standard proof version in a two coin set. Other possibilities were also raised, such as changing the design of the coin or re-introducing uncirculated coins or fractional weight coins.

In May 2013, the US Mint officially confirmed the offering of a one ounce 2013 Reverse Proof Gold Buffalo. At the time, it was specified that the coin would be sold separately and minted to demand at the West Point Mint. That same month, the US Mint displayed an actual example of the coin at the ANA National Money Show held in New Orleans.

The final announced details of the offering indicate that the Reverse Proof Gold Buffalo will be offered for sale during a four week ordering window beginning on August 8, 2013 at 12:00 Noon ET and ending September 5, 2013 at 5:00 PM ET. Customer demand during the ordering window will determine the number of coins produced.

Pricing will be according to the US Mint’s pricing grid for gold and platinum numismatic products. Based on the existing grid, for a gold price within the $1,250 to $1,299.99 range, the coins would be $1,640 each. The actual price will be determined based on the average weekly gold price during the period leading up to the release and may vary during the course of the offering.

The coins will be packaged in an elegant matte finish hardwood box with faux leather inset, along with a certificate of authenticity.

This will be the third recent product that the US Mint has offered during a limited ordering window with production based on the number of orders received. This strategy was used for the first time with the 2012 San Francisco Silver Eagle Set and utilized again for the 2013 West Point Set. The method of offering seems to have been developed at least partially in response to the frequent website crashes that had occurred when the US Mint offered products with a stated limited mintage. Things seem to be heading towards the same result anyway, since many collectors attempt to place their orders immediately at the start of sales in the hopes of receiving coins the earliest.

This will only be the second reverse proof gold coin that the US Mint has offered. The previous coin was the 2006 Reverse Proof Gold Eagle, which was included in the 10th Anniversary Gold Eagle Set limited to production of 10,000 sets.

Comments

1. high low silver says

Thanks for your honest reply Jayarejr. Doesn’t the mirror finish show up in the skirt lines ? That’s what catches my eye from the pics I looked at.

2. Eddie says

How can someone not like the enhanced ASE? Itis one of if not theebestt ASEs minted to date.
    The 3 WP sets I have received from the Mint woud more than likely be 70s if graded. I don’t know anything about sending them in to be graded henced the reason I buy a graded 70s set. I have always liked my coins in their OGP.

3. im just a bill says

I rec my WP set on Friday, ordered it from the Phil Mint on Monday.

Thanks 🙂

and for those of you who have it in their head that this is a numismatic site only, look again.

“A blog offering timely news and analysis of United States Mint product offerings and US Mint coins.”

4. high low silver says

How about this Eddie….A proof eagle mixed with a reverse proof eagle…..NO FROSTING at all !!!!!! Just the mirror finish like a true proof walking liberty. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

5. T1browserman says

The law gives leeway to change this $50 gold pieces design with each year since inception…..keeping 2008 and passing all others…Change all the elements onn obv & rev…..maybe that will garner more attention.

in the meantime ,let me kick a dead horse

6. fosnock says

Going back to earlier comments as this is the second time I heard a comment that this is a free blog. This blog is controlled by Michael Zielinski. Michael will shut down the comments section when things get out of control (IE flame wars, off topic). As these blogs are free anyone can start their own blog about the financial crisis, PM vs stocks, why Bernanke sucks, and now gold nuggets vs gold coins.

I enjoy reading everyone’s comments they help me get a feel for the market, input from flippers about their take on which coins will increase in value, and nice tips like ordering from the Phili Mint (Don you rock). I would hate for that to end.

@Jess – For future reference don’t show up on a board insult everyone (or arrogantly show how much more intelligent you are than us), then when called to task use the “I’m a veteran” so common courtesy does not apply to me.

7. Eddie says

Can someone tell me or walk me though the steps to send in a WP set to have it graded? I have never done this before. Or at least give me a link to the site and I am talking about PCGS Ifor some reson don care for the NGP slabs.

8. Eddie says

That seems like A LOT of stuff you have to go though just to get my WP SET graded. Looks like it would be easier to just buy a WP Set on ebay.

@fornock
    Thank you so much for putting up the link for me and anyone else that wants to use it.

9. fosnock says

Now you know why graded coins sell for a premium…you can actually buy them cheaper on E-bay than you can send them to be graded (at the lower grades)

Eddie a lot of people take their coins to a local coin shop and pay them to send them in for grading. Usually you will find that a cheaper option when dealing with a single set or a couple of sets. The coin shops often will send in a group of coins for grading and get a lower price for the service.