San Francisco Set Sales Jump to 201,059

The pace of orders for the United States Mint’s 2012 San Francisco Silver Eagle Set have been accelerating as the offering approaches its final days.

The product contains proof and reverse proof 2012 American Silver Eagles bearing the “S” mint mark. The US Mint is only accepting orders during a four week window which began on June 7, 2012 at 12:00 Noon ET and will conclude this week on July 5, 2012 at 5:00 PM ET. Since the mintage will be based on orders received during this period, the sales figures have been closely watched by collectors.

Since the last post at the midpoint of the offering, the pace of daily sales has picked up. This may have been driven by the distribution of the US Mint’s 2012 Summer Catalog, which highlighted the offering to customers, and the orders placed by collectors who were waiting to place their orders towards the end of the offering.

Here are the daily sales figures for the entire offering. The first number column indicates the change from the previous daily total, while the second column indicates the cumulative sales total.

Increase Total Sales
June 25, 2012 6,874 152,047
June 26, 2012 4,522 156,569
June 27, 2012 6,012 162,581
June 28, 2012 4,255 166,836
June 29, 2012 8,752 175,588
July 2, 2012 25,471 201,059

With sales already passed 200,000, will sales break the 250,000 mark? This was the mintage limit for the 20th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set, which contained the 2006-P Reverse Proof Silver Eagle. Final audited sales for the set were 248,875.

Comments

1. Jus-a-coin-luvr says

You are so correct KC. I recall Apmex offering to buy individual collector’s 25th Anniversary sets for a small profit last year. The dealers need their business, but I’m not in favor of them swamping the availability just because they have deep pockets and can order a large qty next to the individual collector.

This also raises a question I’ve had for some time. Why is it that only Dealers get to buy the bullion versions of coins direct from the Mint? Maybe it would be the same price to individuals as the dealer’s marked up price anyway, but I’ve always been curious about that one.

2. Shutter says

Most dealers can’t get bullion directly from the Mint either. Only Authorized Purchasers can.

I’d guess dealing with just 11 wholesalers keeps the mint’s overhead down, and since they are selling at nearly melt, they can’t cover much overhead.

4. Samuel says

do u guys think this coin set has a potential, in lets say 5 to 10 years time frame?

5. Kelly says

Hey Jus a coin luvr

Have you Looked into the precious metal ETF’s?? GLD, SLV, and PALL might be cheaper for you with a discount broker. There are other ones also by other company’s but these are the ones I have used.

6. ED says

Samuel as of now these coins have potential 5 to 10 minutes after the tally stops (as long as the mint doesnt offer s mint proof eagles later this year)

7. stephen m. says

Samuel, I agree with Ed……….BUT…the way it appears the mint is putting out special sets of silver eagles it may take 5 to 10 years before this set has potential.

8. ED says

Just checked Mint page for these sets, shipping avalable 10/31 for new orders,getting closer to the end of the year now……

9. ClevelandRocks says

If spot silver climbs near $40, the silver sets will have premiums.
    If spot silver falls to $25, the silver sets will sell for less than issue price.

10. ED says

Cleveland you cant quote spot silver on these sets. try to get a 2006 20th set for under $300.lol (thats 3 ounces of silver)

11. ClevelandRocks says

@ED, spot silver is not $25 and has not been for a long time, but could happen and the 2012 will have higher mintages than the ’06. And now we have Mint product “overload” (see my previous post).

I just checked the page, and now the backorder date has moved UP to 7/18. My order placed on day one still has an expected shipping date of 7/27 and can still be cancelled. I know you can’t really put any stock in those dates the Mint provides, but what the heck are they doing?

13. ClevelandRocks says

Kinda like having Christmas every day doesn’t make Christmas as special. Too much Christmas from the Mint.

14. ED says

Ok Cleveland, check Kitco Friday after 9am if you wanna do so , thats when the Unemployment numbers come out, might go up might go down

15. TomP says

Brad,
    Didn’t you get the Mint’s e-mail stating their new shipping order policy of ‘first in last out’?
    Note the Mint’s new shipping date for the 2012 AGE of 7/18. I bet the ASE set’s new date is a mistake.

I also saw the 7/18 date.
    My first day order stills shows 7/27.
    My order on 6/26 was 9/28, now it’s 10/31
    As mentioned, these date don’t mean very much.

Samuel,

This coin set absolutely has long term potential. I’m a bit dubious of its short term potential, but silver eagle sets with a reverse proof in them always tend to gain in value as they slowly disappear from the market. I have every confidence that we’ll see decent appreciation in their price in the longer term.

I’ve very skeptical that this set will gain in value immediately though. There’s just a lot of them floating around right now.

18. guama says

Last time the mint pushed back order shipments, they hit 150k. Now they pushed back delivery again. I bet they hit the 250k big mark. We are looking at 300k or more by Thursday. Inho

19. guama says

I just checked the site too and it states july 18 delivery. Wth…is it last in first out?

20. ED says

What do you base your comment on C.O. ?? 2011 RP or 2006 RP ?? Thats all we got to go on for now……I base my comments on the 2nd lowest proof silver eagle mintage in American history and a reverse proof coin (for now).

21. Leo S. says

Michael

What the H is going on with these sets. I ordered on the first day with a shipping date of 7-27 and now the date has changed today to 9-28. What happened to first come, first serve??

22. alvaro says

Is a mistake 7/18 is for the gold eagles. My question is isnt somebody at the mint keeping an eye on the website. They should have caugth the mistake by now.

23. alvaro says

Or maybe the mint intentually make it 7/18 so more people will buy. 10/31 seems too long so buyers might pass. Sneaky mint lol. Fraud

24. Shutter says

My question is isnt somebody at the mint keeping an eye on the website.

By now the answer should be pretty obvious.

25. T1 browserman says

Gary / Jeremy

I am not offended and I believe the cost is inflated and it will be a while before shipping begins. This offering and possibly all future numistic offering, like this one, will be done this way after the 25th ASE debacle. Silver spot last year this time was in the high $30’s topping $40 until the dramatic correction in October 2011. I advise all to use this website to get up to date real time London fix and hit the ‘Compare Metals’ tab:

to get an idea where silver bullion (NOT NUMISMATIC) spot was last year compared to this year and where it will be headed. Right now only gold has remained in the black.

I agree that there will be tough times ahead and possibly someone will unload their set for less than issue price OR it will wind up in an estate sale and someone will actually stumble across this set at a steal; heck, I just picked up, from ebay, 2006 raw Franklin commeratives close to issue price; these were rare instances (most are looking for $45 and above) for commeratives yet current gov’t pricing dictates $49.95. If anyone knows why the gov’t’s silver price criteria isn’t posted please do tell.

I don’t plan to buy any other set besides the one I placed on 1st day of offering. Final tally 250K+

26. alvaro says

Theyre gonna say oops it was a mistake the ship date is 10/31. Sue the mint for lieying to get more sales on the last 2 days. Fishy why that mistake on the end then they gonna say could not fixed on time cause 4th of July holiday 4th of July holiday my *** lol

27. Shutter says

Too much Christmas from the Mint.

Cleveland, you want to go back to those wonderful days of 1965? No proof sets, no mint sets, no commemoratives, no silver, no gold. Only clad quarters as far as the eye can see.

Oh and those carefully planted stories in newspapers about how coin collectors are destroying the economy. Sorta like trilateral commission with loupes.

Even if tomorrow’s London fix meant there would be an increase, which apparently it will not based on I believe Brad’s post above, doesn’t it require a human Mint employee to change the gold and platinum prices? Any thoughts? The sales odometer may be set to update automatically, but I do not think that prices changes can be done that way. Happy 4th everybody!

29. ClevelandRocks says

@Shutter: How about the mid 1990s where you had proof Eagles and commems, and even silver annual sets, but not MintOverload like we do now.

30. Samuel says

guys, things got complicated here.
    you go to USMINT homepage, date from the homepage: 9/28.
    you click the link, go to the detailed product page: 7/18.
    go to my account, order placed on 6/20. date changed from 7/27 to 10/31.
    order placed on 6/7, still 7/27

here is what i want to say: USMINT, PLEASE! get some decent IT guys! if u cant afford, outsource the thing to India/China/Philippines.

the shipping date stretches for 4 months long will cause some serious problems. people can place order now and wait and see how the thing plays out then decide whether to cancel or not in october.

31. guama says

Makes good sense Alvaro. I can I see it happening. Everyone orders for mid july shipping and wouldn’t say you know it, they have to push back the date

32. Samuel says

Captain, i totally agree with you. i dont flip coins, but i do care long term appreciation. with big players like MCM get involved, the price will be depressed for at least the first 6 months or so, until they want to get the cash back. so there is not even a chance for flippers to make a quick buck.

i m also curious, how many people here bought multiple 2006 sets?

33. Jus-a-coin-luvr says

Haha….outsourcing usually means (potentially) lower cost, but the service is much worse than before! Had a friend who worked for a very large PC company in their worldwide Call Center. Lots of complaints about poor product support from the outsourced country’s Call Center. So, he went there in person to see what was wrong. He held up a Notebook PC that they were supposed to be supporting in the Call Center and asked if anyone could identify it. Nobody there had ever seen the product. Short lesson, be careful what you ask for at the Mint…you may get a script reader who’s never seen a US coin!

34. Shutter says

O, I get it. You mean 1995 with 22 different comemmorative coins and 4 different proof sets and, lest we forget, Gold & Silver Eagle Anniversary set. Not to mention all the scrap metal they sell in bags and rolls, or all those endless commemorative permutations. Nope, no overload there.

Here’s the bottom line. If people will stop buying, the mint will stop selling.

35. stephen m. says

Relax, Everyone should know and be familiar with how the government operates. The mint has their own rythm and ways of doing things. I wouldn’t be concerned with a shipping date. I’m sure it’ll be sometime between now and when? They could all ship on a short very close schedule after the dust settles.

36. ED says

This is soo funny !!! “Everyone should know and be familiar with how the government operates.” Think again stephen m.

37. Shutter says

Im thinking the year was 1994 but im not sure
    1994 was a quiet year. Only 14 commemoratives, 4 proof sets, and no special eagles. But still plenty of scrap metal. 6 separate special sets just for soccer. SOCCER!? A “sport” where the most common score is 0-0 tie.

38. Shutter says

i hope we get another tally clock on the Mint web page in the near future

Relax. If we don’t, it will be on Michael’s weekly tally next Tuesday or Wednesday.

39. KEITHSTER says

look’s like everyone want’s in on the shananigin’s with this set. Even the MINT they had just upgraded my order from the 24th to a earlier shipping date.Only to now kick it back to holloween. Trick or treat I Think we’re all in for more supprises and complaint’s then the 25th. My last post must of been spot on because they would not even print it.

40. Silver Surfing Scott says

I’ts a great set for collectors, but flippers are going to take a loss.
    I might buy my next set from a flipper. Ha Ha Ha!!!

You all are too worried about shipping dates. Take a chill pill. Right now those dates mean almost nothing apart from the fact that in general the early orders should ship before the later ones. When we ordered the 25th sets, the estimated dates were a long ways off too and they started shipping much sooner than expected, and anyway, if they don’t, what’s the big deal? If your concern is you want an early release set ( no need to rehash how that is a bogus concept), just buy one from MCM or someone else, and please worry about something that really matters!!

42. alvaro says

Lol why are we even buying coins this is wierd, what the hell im I doing here. Is not like we can eat them or wear them lol. Weird only in America do people waste their money on money lol

43. alvaro says

My mom thinks im weird because I collect coins. Nobody in my family is into collecting coins. Im Mexican and Mexicans in general dont collect anything, my mom says (isnt coin collecting for older white men not for a 19 yold Mexican kid.

44. alvaro says

Sometimes I wonder maybe my mom cheat on my Mexican father with a white man lol just kidding.

45. alvaro says

Thr mint fix the error ship date at 10/31 now instead of obvious mistake from earlier of 7/18. My order from 6/7 was also corrected from 10/31 back to 7/27 damn mint playing games.

Alvaro- There’s nothing inherently weird about collecting coins. Only non-collectors think we are weird or nerds, and that is their problem. And it certainly has nothing to do with race, gender, or ethnicity. People all over the world collect coins. We collect for many reasons, and at least we collect something that has some value, even intrinsic value. I’d rather collect coins than old lunch boxes, or matchbooks, or something like that. People have been collecting coins for as long as they have existed, which is thousands of years. In a thousand years, do you think someone will care about a Scooby Doo lunch box? And I like Mexican coins, by the way.

47. alvaro says

How much do you have invested in coins Louis. I have about 5k in coins and currency. USA and Mexico coins only.

48. Jus-a-coin-luvr says

I get a kick out of the “coin collectors are viewed as weird people” discussion. What the heck is so weird? Trading $150 for $2…doesn’t everyone do that?

Happy 4th of July to you all and God Bless America!! 🙂

49. guama says

I told my daughter (non collector) that I recently purchased a half dime
    She replied “oh, a nickel? “. I didn’t start her off right..lol

50. KEITHSTER says

As for the shipping dates all’s good but still think it’s going to be more important then most people want to think on this one anyway.As for the chill pill would love one but don’t like dealing with the dealers know a nice place I could get some? lol HAPPY 4TH

51. gumbyen says

Alvaro, ever look at the Mexican Caballito Pesos? Gorgeous! And reasonable in high grade, at least for now. The more prosperous Mexico becomes the more Mexican gente will collect their own coinage.

52. KEITHSTER says

Anyone else notice a lot more survey’s jumping up on the MINT pages. Caught one this morning and one yesterday. The one yesterday seemed better the one today a standard.Also hooked on to three a couple of days before but they got away from me before I could reel them in. So if you want some input to the MINT keep fishing the mint pages and I’m sure you’ll get a bite.

53. saucexx says

No way it doesn’t pass the 20th anniversary set. Now the question is whether is passes 300K?

54. guama says

I don’t think we will know the final number for a while
    . But..it has gone up 50kto in 2the days. I bet it hits 320k tomorrow

55. T1 Browserman says

Reprinted from july 3rd :
    Gary / Jeremy

I am not offended and I believe the cost is inflated and it will be a while before shipping begins. This offering and possibly all future numismatic offering, like this one, will be done this way after the 25th ASE debacle. Silver spot last year this time was in the high $30′s topping $40 until the dramatic correction in October 2011. I advise all to use this website to get up to date real time London fix and hit the ‘Compare Metals’ tab:

56. Gary says

I think there will be mass orders not cancelations!! I am going to order 1 more set just to see how far apart they actually ship! Looks like we will end with about 325,000 sets…..which i believe we will still have the LOWEST minted proof silver eagle. So that could be a sleeper..and like i said from the beginning we will have the 3rd lowest minted reverese proof silver eagle!!
    Does anybody know if they will release an S mint proof silver eagle by itself?? Now that would be another loss for the collector!

57. guama says

I think we have more speculators than flippers..imo
    Can you jump ship in october just before delivery?

58. Jus-a-coin-luvr says

Well let the “flippers” flip-out and cancel…it’s OK with me. The trend line on my chart of the progress just went very vertical today. I’ve got my sets by the hair and am hangin’ on for the ride! 🙂

@Gary…there are not any plans for the Mint to produce the S mint proof coin as a separate item this year.

60. Dan says

After this offering the Mint might take the view that Reverse Proofs are indeed what folks would like to see and begin offering them on a yearly basis. Then that would make the 2006, 2011 and 2012 the coins most sought after and all of you that have 1 ore more sets of these will be thanking the mint because you’ll be able to unload your high dollar sets to collectors wanting to have the entire complete set.

61. charles says

Dan, you are soo right. This years reverse proof in a raw or 69 will sell for $150.00 and a PF70 will easily sell for $250 even if total sells are 325,000

Some of you guys that think this set is loser, need a reality check.