Shenandoah National Park Quarter Three Coin Set

Today, April 8, 2014 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin accepting orders for the 2014 America the Beautiful Quarters Three Coin Set featuring the Shenandoah National Park Quarters.

3-coin-set

The Shenandoah National Park Quarter, which went on sale in bags and rolls last week, features a depiction of a hiker taking in the view from the Little Stony Mam summit, as designed by Phebe Hemphill. The obverse carries the 1932 portrait of George Washington by John Flanagan.

The three coin set brings together uncirculated versions of the coin struck at the Philadelphia and Denver Mints with a proof version of the coin struck at the San Francisco Mint. The three coins are mounted on a plastic card containing a picturesque view from the park. The back of the card includes a brief description of the park and coin design, along with the certificate of authenticity.

Each Shenandoah National Park Quarter Three Coin Set is priced at $9.95. There are no stated product limits or household ordering limits. This product is eligible for a 10% discount for orders fulfilled through the US Mint’s Online Subscription Program.

The three coin sets offered for previous releases of the America the Beautiful Quarters Program remain available for sale at the US Mint, with the exception of the set for El Yunque National Park. Sales for the previously released sets range from a low of 11,373 for the most recently released Great Smoky Mountains design to a high of 22,793 for the Yellowstone National Park design.

Comments

1. Pittsburgh P says

Thx Michael…
    I appreciate all the work put into your site!
    Not interested in this set though… Will be interested in the new mint numbers coming out tonight though.Thx again

Well… I must say I am trying to get used to this new format – but am starting to think it is going to be tough. Too many responses using the reply button and the flow of the threads is really not readable as they used to be.

The “down” button doesn’t work on my browser (IE8) and I can’t update or change it on this computer (managed IT locked). There is no up button.

While others don’t like the font – I haven’t had any issues with it – but I do use cheaters for the computer almost all the time anyways. (yeah getting old isn’t all it is cracked up to be – but it beats the alternative).

These sets were only supposed to be for sale for one year at most starting with the 2013’s, but it seems the Mint basically lied about that. White Mountain should have been pulled almost two months ago, but it’s still being sold. In a few days the Perry’s Victory set’s year will be up but I’m sure it won’t be pulled off-sale either.

Why make statements that directly contradict their actions? How can “This product will be available for one year from the initial on-sale date or until inventory is depleted prior to the one-year timeframe” be misinterpreted? It’s pretty clear it means that after one year it’s supposed to be pulled from sale, sold out or not. Here I was hoping the Mint had initiated a cure for that maddening habit they have of leaving products for sale year after year after year, making them more worthless by the day. But, only certain products (like the ATB quarter bags and rolls) have actually followed the stated policy.

4. Ray says

I like the new format of the website. Looks like people posting changed their Name since the format changed, pretty sure Sith is @fmtrans but not sure about the other new names. Whats Pittsburgh Ps old Name?

5. Jus-a-coin-luvr says

I’ve been collecting this series and thanks for the heads-up. Since I stopped all my Subscriptions (except for the 5oz ATB), it helps to know when something has popped-up that I collect. 🙂

Regarding the new website, I’ve adjusted to it pretty easily so far. I’d love it if the comments were threaded, especially when there are 300+ of them. But this is not a forum, so I understand. It is just too much to even try to read when several hundred posts are linked nose to tail. The “reply” feature does help a lot though and was a great move forward. As always, I’m very appreciative of this site, the World Blog version and the “Coin Update” sites. Very useful and helpful!

6. Sith says

Nope I changed my handle a while back but I’m not fmtrans, just like fmtrans is not FMT

7. Sith says

I’m still up in the air on the format, but I think once people get use to it and the usual amount of posts are done per article it will be fine. I do like the fact that I can just go to the bottom and see new posts without reading 10 thousand replies, of course as you noted if you want to look for a reply to an old topic…but basically if everyone would choose to simply add comments and not reply we would be in the old format…

thePhelps,

One thing worth noting is the 500+ comment threads we’ve been having are due to the excitement of the Baseball HoF releases. As I recall most threads normally are more like 50-100 comments which should be much easier to navigate in the new format. I expect once people start getting their HoF coins, the comments will quiet back down.

… at least, they will until the Kennedy releases happen. 🙂

I’m sorry you’re stuck using IE8 though. You ought to suggest to your IT department that everyone be allowed to switch to Firefox!

I basically feel the same way. The format takes a bit of getting used to but I think this will work pretty well once the comments quiet back down to their “normal” pace.

10. high low silver says

Look at the 2012 and 2013 Kennedy 2 roll set, 2013 should go off sale in June, but the 2012 is gonna stick around. This is why I don’t buy clad from them anymore.

Has anyone else noticed the news round-up at Coin Update has not appeared for quite a while?
    Michael- Have you decided to discontinue that feature?

12. Sith says

From the last thread…You answered your own question. You need to set up the deal. a bird in hand is worth two in the Bush…

I had not because I usually use Click Coins to follow Coin Update (and Click Coins doesn’t have the roundups). Good catch, Louis.

I’ve also noted the Coin World section on Click Coins has stopped updating, incidentally.

14. Wes says

I think it would be great if there was a my comments button to go back and see if anyone has left a reply to your old comments. Without joining a forum I don’t think that is possible.

15. Wes says

No it could be people are using more than one name but Pittsburgh P is an old poster that post usually when a hot new release comes out.

16. GoldGuru says

PittP. …go back to last thread. Read what I posted for you. Tried to copy and paste but didn’t work. Also Frankie said he got his gold& they look awful & he’s sending them bac

17. Wes says

Thanks although that is too much for me. I did go to tools and change it to let sight pick font I think it is a tad better.

18. Pittsburgh P says

Sith, thx… yeah I did. Idk if you saw my reply on the last thread since it was getting hard to navigate! I locked it in for 3 1/10 gold and 6 1 oz silver + 100$… He had 4 more to get rid of and wanted to make sure he got at least 200 profit on each. He seemed extremely reputable and had a real nice coin shop… Along with excellent reveiws on ebay. Nice guy and I am really happy… even though I pd more than I should have I pd less than a lot of fools. Thx again

19. Pittsburgh P says

I did… I think it was getting hard to navigate that thread. The dealer showed me an order that was placed at 1:42 pm (around there) so im not worried he wont get them…. thx though gg

20. GoldGuru says

THERE WILL BE LESS THAN 50K GOLD IN THE MARKETPLACE!!!! Go to last thread to see my new post. Mintage will be less than 50K! !!!!!!

21. GoldGuru says

Go read my post on last thread. I think You’re safe, all golds have yet to be minted. June and July orders might be OK.

22. GoldGuru says

Depends on how many early returns. Every return will lower mintage, and cancel orders.

23. GoldGuru says

It might be wise to hold onto your gold HOF’S and wait to see the final #’s. That’s my opinion & I’m sticking to it! !!

GG… a return doesn’t mean a lower mintage number.

The mint will like most other manufaturers allow for damaged product and produce a certain number over the 50k. I’d suspect a 5% over run of production jsut to cover any returns or dmaged product. There will be 50k produced and shipped if the orders are there.

Just unpacked 10 Silver Proof HOF……all 10 have scuff marks below and to the right of the glove…..not super evident but shows up when you tilt in the light….anyone else there noticing this….all 10 in the same places

26. GoldGuru says

Sorry Phelps……..u r wrong. I asked about that, NO EXTRA COINS WILL BE MINTED to compensate for returns. CALL FOR YOURSELF! !! There WILL BE LESS THAN 50K GOLD TOTAL in the market!!! Not trying to be smart, just giving you accurate facts! !!!!!!!

27. GoldGuru says

The Phelps. ……the mint is NOT like other manufacturers! Trust me. Just call, its that simple.

28. Steve says

Guys, gotta hold the golds, especially uncs. I think raw will be worth a lot more than $700 in the future.

29. GoldGuru says

To….the Phelps. …..I’m not trying to get in a pissing match with you, I like your posts! ! I went to great lengths to find out about this for everyone here, including myself, in case I have to send back coins. Your reasoning makes Perfect sense, however the mint is only going to make 50K total. Returns Will lower the availability!

30. GoldGuru says

Let me try to clarify……….there Will be 50K minted. There will NOT be 50K in the market place, due to replacing EARLY requests. Is that better, I hope? Every coin replaced will lower the amount in the market, because they are not making more to compensate for returns. Hope this helps.

31. GoldGuru says

Know when to Hold them, know when to Fold ’em! I say Hold ’em, if you can afford to. IMO

32. Hawkster says

I have to admit, I have never seen someone as excited as you are in regard to the supposedly declining mintage figures for the HOF gold coins. Are you among the many who are planning to have a jeweler place a bezel around a pair of the coins and make them into gold earrings? Perfect small size for impressive earrings and a great gift for your baseball-loving girlfriend or wife.

33. Jeff says

Just reviewed my Shenandoah 3 coin set from my subscription and noticed I got 2 Philadelphia minted coins, 1 Denver minted coin and no San Francisco Proof minted coin. Has anyone else noticed this?