U.S. Mint 2017 First-Day Bullion-Coin Sales

(Photos courtesy of APMEX)

(Photos courtesy of APMEX)

The Mint has announced its first-day bullion-coin sales figures. The 2017-dated American Eagle gold and silver bullion coins and American Buffalo gold coins were first made available for sale to Authorized Purchasers (APs) on January 9 this year.

Sales of American Eagle gold bullion coins, at 68,000 ounces, exceeded last year’s volume by nearly 15%. Unit sales, by size, are as follows:

• 1 oz. – 46,000 coins
  • 1/2 oz. – 16,000 coins
  • 1/4 oz. – 26,000 coins
  • 1/10 oz. – 75,000 coins

Authorized Purchasers bought 3,747,500 ounces of American Eagle silver bullion coins—almost 35% more than on last year’s launch date. The figure for American Buffalo gold bullion coins was ever so slightly down: 20,500 ounces on the first day for 2017, as opposed to 21,000 ounces in 2016.

2017-bullion-rverses

2016 2017
  Coins Ounces Coins Ounces
American Eagle Gold Bullion Coins
1/10 oz.  70,000  7,000  75,000  7,500
1/4 oz.  22,000  5,500  26,000  6,500
1/2 oz.  12,000  6,000  16,000  8,000
1 oz.  41,500  41,500  46,000  46,000
All Gold Eagle Coins  145,500  60,000  163,000  68,000
American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins
1 oz.  2,756,500  2,756,500  3,747,500  3,747,500
American Eagle Gold Buffalo Bullion Coins
1 oz.  21,000  21,000  20,500  20,500
All Gold Bullion Coins  166,500  81,000  183,500  88,500

American Eagle gold and silver bullion coins and American Buffalo gold bullion coins are available from Authorized Purchasers, including APMEX.

Comments

1. achmed says

one of the big coin dealers should melt 7 of the nps unc in presence of a lawyer. And then there is a new population low.
    Question; is it really so important to have a new low? Or is it ok to have a coin that some other people like, too.

2. samuel says

i believe some returns are still on the way, the mint did not have a chance to process them. they are not that efficient.

Thanks Larry, nice find!

What do think?

It appeared to my tired 20/20 that there’s two levels of laser frosting on the Obverse, & looks a uniform, singular frosting on the Reverse.

Geez, BO pardoned Chelsea Manning, he should have been hung.
    BO is going out true to his form

SM from MN –

Thanks for the detailed post, the blog needs a lot more of those.

And hey, it was even about coins, so double gold stars to you!

Lou says, “but the Liberty HR coin has three levels of frosting on both sides”

Well, the mint certainly knows how to sucker in its base. That’s one awesome Eagle on the Reverse, and if the white and black eagle feathers are differentiated through laser frosting, that look amazing.

The low-down on frosting will be added to my MCM article on the gold coin, but for now and for reasons I can’t explain, only a Coin World article that is accessible for subscribers in the issue posted last Sat. has the actual details at the end of the article. Go figure that one. I would have led with that if I were running the Mint.

At the risk of overdoing things, I am interested in what folks think of Charles Morgan (the editor of CoinWeek)’s view that “most collectors like” the 2017 Liberty coin, which he based on the 1K likes on CW’s Facebook page.

I suggested we need more data before we can say that, even if I personally wish it to be the case. You can see what he sees on his site and my response.

6. cagcrisp says

Coinweek has a FB page that Features Charles Morgan’s article. I haven’t gone through the exact percentages but my Guesstimate is that 60-65% of the comments are Negative.

I know that those on FB are generally not in the demographic sweet spot for a $1,600 coin , but I would have Expected that demographic to be More supportive than current posters would indicate…

7. So Krates says

@ Cagcrisp – If the Mint’s hedge was set up properly the loss on the forward position should have been offset by gains on the physical side.

Louis, My local TV station did a segment on the Liberty release. The abundant FB comments were no different from what I have seen everywhere else. It would appear that many people are having secret love affairs with their gold coins, then hitting the roof after waking to see who they’re married to. Personally, the `17 HR is beginning to grow on me. I do think it’s a beautiful coin. Looking closely at it, I don’t see any enhancement on the obverse, however, the eagle feathers do seem to be reflecting light in and interesting way.

9. Erik H says

Louis, for your article:

My worst experience with milk spots are Canadian bullion issues (maples, wildlife series). I started purchasing these in 2011 so I can’t give an opinion before that. I’ve also had bad milk spots form on my African Elephant rounds (also purchased since 2011). Last I just bought some Burnished 2016 W ASEs that had milks spots directly from the mint.

I’ve had milk spots form on generic ASE but not to the degree of the Canadian bullion or Elephants. I have had milk spots form on my Queen’s Beast too.

Most of the coins formed the spots over time however some arrived with the spots (I always purchase as soon as the coins are released in an effort to cherry pick the spotless ones).

For a list of my silver that has never spotted: Australian bullion (kangaroo, wedge tail, kooks & koala), Libertads, Philharmonics and Pandas.

I will no longer buy Canadian bullion rounds for collecting only stacking. I have RCM 10 oz bars and they never developed spots. Both the rounds & bars are .9999 so the spots have to be formed by the washing detergents used on the rounds that many have speculated about.

Hope this helps, looking forward to reading your article.

10. cagcrisp says

@So Krates , That would be what I would have assumed also. IF that was the case I don’t understand the need for a footnote on the financials.

Unless there is something that has to be noted because it is a derivative…

Thanks a lot, Erik H. That is very much in line with my experience too. I am really puzzled by comments on another forum from Australians who say their Perth coins have been problematic, which makes me wonder if they send their good stuff overseas, or if the climate is especially humid down under, or something else. That is very helpful.

Shameless plug of the day: If you live near a bookstore such as Barnes and Noble, you can pick up the Feb. issue of COINage magazine, which has my cover piece on how gold in 2016 and beyond. Just sayin’

12. Barry says

@Louis, I’ve have had a handful of RCM bullion Maples and Wildlife series silver coins develop milk spots over time before stabilizing at some point in addition to a few Britannia’s.
    Ditto Erik’s no spot list and add the mints in Israel (proof) and Poland (proof) . Earlier this year I saw a dealer at a show with a lot OGP US 1980’s and newer silver commems and many had spotting issues. I didn’t feel comfortable asking about why so I just passed on them.
    I hoped that helped a little.

13. Erik H says

Barry, were the commems. that you saw spotted or did the develope a natural milky haze. The haze that develops on US 90% proofs is perfectly natural (although unsightly) and could be easily removed by “dipping” the coin (purist frown on this). Milk spots can’t be removed by “dipping”. It’s like the detergent is embedded into the silver when the coins are pressed.

Overtime the milky haze on 90% silver should turn into wonderful “original” natural toning that seasoned collectors like. I do have to admit I hate seeing my deep cameos start to fade away but in 100 years when I’m long gone I know my “original” toned coin should bring a premium to the seller.

Louis, interesting to hear that Aussies complain about their bullion developing spots, I hope mine never do. I also don’t recall ever seeing any spotted Australian bullion on eBay.

14. one fine dime says

@Hidalgo –

Based on what SM from MN said, YES. That sounds like quite the quality control issue with scratches/nicks in the same spots obv/rev on ten coins in one shipment. I had to check my coin and fortunately it looks great (clearly an MS70 😉).

Not going to buy a boys town unc $5 but hope many many others do 😉. I think the $1 looks great…big old oak tree reminiscent of the 1935 CT classic commem (as mentioned before).

Hoping Obama pardons Peltier tomorrow or Thursday…