U.S. Mint 2017 First-Day Bullion-Coin Sales

(Photos courtesy of APMEX)

(Photos courtesy of APMEX)

The Mint has announced its first-day bullion-coin sales figures. The 2017-dated American Eagle gold and silver bullion coins and American Buffalo gold coins were first made available for sale to Authorized Purchasers (APs) on January 9 this year.

Sales of American Eagle gold bullion coins, at 68,000 ounces, exceeded last year’s volume by nearly 15%. Unit sales, by size, are as follows:

• 1 oz. – 46,000 coins
  • 1/2 oz. – 16,000 coins
  • 1/4 oz. – 26,000 coins
  • 1/10 oz. – 75,000 coins

Authorized Purchasers bought 3,747,500 ounces of American Eagle silver bullion coins—almost 35% more than on last year’s launch date. The figure for American Buffalo gold bullion coins was ever so slightly down: 20,500 ounces on the first day for 2017, as opposed to 21,000 ounces in 2016.

2017-bullion-rverses

2016 2017
  Coins Ounces Coins Ounces
American Eagle Gold Bullion Coins
1/10 oz.  70,000  7,000  75,000  7,500
1/4 oz.  22,000  5,500  26,000  6,500
1/2 oz.  12,000  6,000  16,000  8,000
1 oz.  41,500  41,500  46,000  46,000
All Gold Eagle Coins  145,500  60,000  163,000  68,000
American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins
1 oz.  2,756,500  2,756,500  3,747,500  3,747,500
American Eagle Gold Buffalo Bullion Coins
1 oz.  21,000  21,000  20,500  20,500
All Gold Bullion Coins  166,500  81,000  183,500  88,500

American Eagle gold and silver bullion coins and American Buffalo gold bullion coins are available from Authorized Purchasers, including APMEX.

Comments

1. achmed says

one of the big coin dealers should melt 7 of the nps unc in presence of a lawyer. And then there is a new population low.
    Question; is it really so important to have a new low? Or is it ok to have a coin that some other people like, too.

2. samuel says

i believe some returns are still on the way, the mint did not have a chance to process them. they are not that efficient.

Thanks Larry, nice find!

What do think?

It appeared to my tired 20/20 that there’s two levels of laser frosting on the Obverse, & looks a uniform, singular frosting on the Reverse.

Geez, BO pardoned Chelsea Manning, he should have been hung.
    BO is going out true to his form

SM from MN –

Thanks for the detailed post, the blog needs a lot more of those.

And hey, it was even about coins, so double gold stars to you!

Lou says, “but the Liberty HR coin has three levels of frosting on both sides”

Well, the mint certainly knows how to sucker in its base. That’s one awesome Eagle on the Reverse, and if the white and black eagle feathers are differentiated through laser frosting, that look amazing.

The low-down on frosting will be added to my MCM article on the gold coin, but for now and for reasons I can’t explain, only a Coin World article that is accessible for subscribers in the issue posted last Sat. has the actual details at the end of the article. Go figure that one. I would have led with that if I were running the Mint.

At the risk of overdoing things, I am interested in what folks think of Charles Morgan (the editor of CoinWeek)’s view that “most collectors like” the 2017 Liberty coin, which he based on the 1K likes on CW’s Facebook page.

I suggested we need more data before we can say that, even if I personally wish it to be the case. You can see what he sees on his site and my response.

6. cagcrisp says

Coinweek has a FB page that Features Charles Morgan’s article. I haven’t gone through the exact percentages but my Guesstimate is that 60-65% of the comments are Negative.

I know that those on FB are generally not in the demographic sweet spot for a $1,600 coin , but I would have Expected that demographic to be More supportive than current posters would indicate…

7. So Krates says

@ Cagcrisp – If the Mint’s hedge was set up properly the loss on the forward position should have been offset by gains on the physical side.

Louis, My local TV station did a segment on the Liberty release. The abundant FB comments were no different from what I have seen everywhere else. It would appear that many people are having secret love affairs with their gold coins, then hitting the roof after waking to see who they’re married to. Personally, the `17 HR is beginning to grow on me. I do think it’s a beautiful coin. Looking closely at it, I don’t see any enhancement on the obverse, however, the eagle feathers do seem to be reflecting light in and interesting way.

9. Erik H says

Louis, for your article:

My worst experience with milk spots are Canadian bullion issues (maples, wildlife series). I started purchasing these in 2011 so I can’t give an opinion before that. I’ve also had bad milk spots form on my African Elephant rounds (also purchased since 2011). Last I just bought some Burnished 2016 W ASEs that had milks spots directly from the mint.

I’ve had milk spots form on generic ASE but not to the degree of the Canadian bullion or Elephants. I have had milk spots form on my Queen’s Beast too.

Most of the coins formed the spots over time however some arrived with the spots (I always purchase as soon as the coins are released in an effort to cherry pick the spotless ones).

For a list of my silver that has never spotted: Australian bullion (kangaroo, wedge tail, kooks & koala), Libertads, Philharmonics and Pandas.

I will no longer buy Canadian bullion rounds for collecting only stacking. I have RCM 10 oz bars and they never developed spots. Both the rounds & bars are .9999 so the spots have to be formed by the washing detergents used on the rounds that many have speculated about.

Hope this helps, looking forward to reading your article.

10. cagcrisp says

@So Krates , That would be what I would have assumed also. IF that was the case I don’t understand the need for a footnote on the financials.

Unless there is something that has to be noted because it is a derivative…

Thanks a lot, Erik H. That is very much in line with my experience too. I am really puzzled by comments on another forum from Australians who say their Perth coins have been problematic, which makes me wonder if they send their good stuff overseas, or if the climate is especially humid down under, or something else. That is very helpful.

Shameless plug of the day: If you live near a bookstore such as Barnes and Noble, you can pick up the Feb. issue of COINage magazine, which has my cover piece on how gold in 2016 and beyond. Just sayin’

12. Barry says

@Louis, I’ve have had a handful of RCM bullion Maples and Wildlife series silver coins develop milk spots over time before stabilizing at some point in addition to a few Britannia’s.
    Ditto Erik’s no spot list and add the mints in Israel (proof) and Poland (proof) . Earlier this year I saw a dealer at a show with a lot OGP US 1980’s and newer silver commems and many had spotting issues. I didn’t feel comfortable asking about why so I just passed on them.
    I hoped that helped a little.

13. Erik H says

Barry, were the commems. that you saw spotted or did the develope a natural milky haze. The haze that develops on US 90% proofs is perfectly natural (although unsightly) and could be easily removed by “dipping” the coin (purist frown on this). Milk spots can’t be removed by “dipping”. It’s like the detergent is embedded into the silver when the coins are pressed.

Overtime the milky haze on 90% silver should turn into wonderful “original” natural toning that seasoned collectors like. I do have to admit I hate seeing my deep cameos start to fade away but in 100 years when I’m long gone I know my “original” toned coin should bring a premium to the seller.

Louis, interesting to hear that Aussies complain about their bullion developing spots, I hope mine never do. I also don’t recall ever seeing any spotted Australian bullion on eBay.

14. one fine dime says

@Hidalgo –

Based on what SM from MN said, YES. That sounds like quite the quality control issue with scratches/nicks in the same spots obv/rev on ten coins in one shipment. I had to check my coin and fortunately it looks great (clearly an MS70 😉).

Not going to buy a boys town unc $5 but hope many many others do 😉. I think the $1 looks great…big old oak tree reminiscent of the 1935 CT classic commem (as mentioned before).

Hoping Obama pardons Peltier tomorrow or Thursday…

15. cagcrisp says

Gold AM Fix $1,212.50

Unless we get a Major tweet attack (Reversing yesterday’s USD position) between now and the PM Fix , we WILL have a Gold increase this afternoon…

16. cagcrisp says

For those not keeping up with the daily play by play, there are Some positions the president elect has that can Only be successful with a Stronger dollar (boarder tax) and then there is Much of his agenda that would be favorable Only with a weaker dollar (additional exports due to increased US manufacturing).

Yesterday the president elect said the USD was too Strong and that the Republican boarder tax plan was too complicated. Thus the USD retreated.

The boarder tax ( and stronger dollar) are a cornerstone to corporate tax reform so I don’t see how you can be successful with one without the other Unless you blow the deficit Up…

17. Barry says

@Erik- after thinking about what you said it was haze instead of milk spots on those US commems.

18. earthling says

How utterly shocking! Plastic losing value? Say it ain’t so David.

Could it be that buyers are just not there? And how about a price analysis of NGC Coins? Who will provide that?

Just goes to show you, the best Coin Dealer is you local Bank. Buy Nickels at 5 Cents, cherry pick the ms65’s and return the rest for a full refund.

earthling You nailed it, who has the money after 8 years of gutting the middle class (just look at retail sales). Better keep those nickels though instead of returning them, they’ll probably pull the plug now that Trump is in charge.

Another factor in the increase of pcgs populations could be Greatcollections.com ( I notice most their coins are pcgs), auctions sites that you send your coins to be graded and sold with no hassle like feebay might be the wave of the future. Especially for collectors like me who have been collecting for all these years and realize we can get more green paper if we sell our coins graded. If that’s the case then I’d better jump on the bandwagon and get with it cause ya snooze, ya lose.

It was a no brainer that the 1995 proof ASE’s come out of the woodwork after those high auction prices were realized.

22. Numismatrix says

“1995 proof ASE’s come out of the woodwork” – DR

Sad truth for us OGP collectors – I fear all those sets
    will be broken up just to monetize the W-ASE. I also
    feel that NGC is no different from PCGS – they all
    play on consumer gullibility that it is all in the label and
    not the coin.

23. So Krates says

Each time a coin is cracked out and resubmitted, the population number increases by one but the actual number of holdered coins remains the same.

“NGC is committed to doing the right thing for the hobby…..at the end of the day, this is not about competition or profits for us, but protecting our fellow collectors.”

This is same the douche who started with that “First Coin Sold” crap. Good lookin’ out Mark!

24. So Krates says

Agreed Numismatrix!

However you can easily reassemble the ’95 coin set by purchasing the individual parts.

25. KEITHSTER says

If anyone wants the last Ferry 5OZer there is 1 left ? Look like they are going to take a bite out of My loins today but hay they will be around all year ! Good Luck To All”>”>

26. So Krates says

There are actually two different OGP configurations for the 1995-W five coin set.

There is the more common album style (similar to the four coin AGE sets but with the ASE at the bottom), but occasionally one sees a more plain box style with the coins situated in the shape of an “X”.

I was barely collecting then. I know that the 10th Ann. Set flew under the radar for the most part. Anyone remember the story behind the packaging switch? Perhaps early orders got the basic OGP and later received the nicer album type. I think some people got both?

27. Tom says

The Mint had the coins but not the presentation case, so they shipped the coins in the presentation case shown in your link. A note was included indicating they did not have the case at the time and that it would be mailed at a later date.

28. Louis Golino, Author says

Don’t tell Ryan, but there is now a 5 oz HR silver version of the Statue of Liberty medal.

29. gatortreke says

@ one fine dime:

You asked the following question yesterday:

@Numismatrix

If you have any real information about this supposed “biggest undeveloped gold mine in the world. It’s right here in America“…feel free to pass it along.

That article contains no actual info, and that company has been accused of fraud….Stansberry Research sounds like a real shill.

I don’t and never have subscribed to Stansberry but I’m guessing the company they are talking about is Northern Dynasty (NAK). They supposedly own one of the biggest gold properties in Alaska.

30. dave says

on that 5 oz HR silver version of the Statue of Liberty medal first of all the price is way toooo high and that’s not even the worst part! the worst part the mintage is higher than the 1 oz coin!! that in my opinion is a bad mistake

31. Larry says

So the Lions Club commemorative went on sale with no fanfare here. The mintage limit is 400,000. Gotta love the mints optimism! I predict the mint will sell about 75K. What do you think?

32. asherspapa says

Is anyone else annoyed that the “Product Schedule” has changed to a monthly update, making it essentially redundant with Upcoming Products box on the home page. I chatted with a Mint employee online, and it seems this a deliberate and permanent choice by someone. So there’s now no way to plan ahead more than a couple of weeks. And they lose the opportunity to build anticipation about products–just another example of what an atrocious marketing organization the Mint is, and how little they care about what they’re customers care about. And here it is, more than halfway through January and that’s all there is.

33. TomP. in Va. says

Just received a brochure from the Mint about the Lions Club silver dollar. As a previous poster has has stated, the reverse with the lions is quite impressive. I might buy one.

Cagcrisp, Is Janet Yellen altering your gold forecasts?

34. Tinto says

@asherspapa

Thanks for that info …. bad coin designs for the most part, bad service, misleading info, etc. would the Mint survive if they weren’t a govt entity and a monopoly …. at least they are good at quashing any temptation I might have at resuming regular purchases of their stuff ..

35. dave says

i feel the lions coin will sell way less 75 K horrible design looks like the old man from pawn stars theres just nothing there

@asherspapa

totally agree its unbelievable I had to laugh for a second its just to funny that’s its sad

thanks gatortreke.

I just googled that company and found a Motley Fool article from yesterday that states,
    Arguably the most dangerous move you can make as a gold stock investor with the precious metal so far from its 2011 highs is to invest in a developmental-stage gold mining company like Seabridge Gold (NYSE:SA) or Northern Dynasty Minerals (NYSEMKT:NAK).

37. gatortreke says

@ one fine dime:

Re: Northern Dynasty, I don’t own it nor do I buy junior minors, they are too volatile for me. That said, since I’m interested in gold and silver, I listened to a discussion about 6-9 months ago where the participants discussed Northern Dynasty. The talk with this company was how the EPA refused to review their data, not reviewed and rejected but refused to review, that was the problem and this wasn’t likely to change anytime in the foreseeable future.

Some big gun junior minor investors (think Doug Casey, Rick Rule) liked NAK’s assets but didn’t believe the EPA would ever let them move forward considering they wouldn’t review their materials, said it would be dead money. I remember looking at the stock at that time and it was somewhere around $0.40-0.50 cents a share. Today it closed at $2.53–guess people believe the EPA may now act. Like I said, I’m not well suited to invest in these type of companies but I did put this on a watch list just to follow it to see what happens.

Re: the Motley Fool article, I like the MF as a business and much of their outlook but they are not gold investors, more in the camp that it is a barbarous relic so just keep that in mind when you read their materials. They’d rather have investors put their money elsewhere.