U.S. Mint Shares Design Candidates for 2018-2020 American Eagle Platinum Proof Coins

The U.S. Mint has shared potential designs for its upcoming 2018, 2019, and 2020 American Eagle Platinum Proof coins. The designs will be discussed at the next Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee Meeting, scheduled to take place tomorrow, September 16. The candidates are included below with an introduction and descriptions provided by the Mint.

Since its inception in 1997, each American Eagle Platinum Proof Coin has shared a common obverse that features a portrait of Liberty.  The reverse has been host to a variety of themed series (Vistas of Liberty, Preamble to the Constitution and Torches of Liberty).  To mark the 20th anniversary of the program in 2017, the coin will feature the same obverse and reverse designs from 1997.

As the Platinum Proof program enters its third decade, a new three-year series will depict American artists’ interpretation of the Preamble to the Declaration of Independence.  Drawing inspiration from the program’s past, the obverses of the coins in this series (not the reverses) will change from year to year while the reverse, an American eagle, will remain consistent.  The obverse of 2018 will represent “Life,” 2019 will represent “Liberty,” and 2020 will represent “the pursuit of Happiness.”

We asked artists to develop submissions for all three years, creating designs that not only well represent each individual theme, but that also work together harmoniously to give expression to the core American principles of “Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”    Most participating artists also submitted optional reverse designs of American eagles to be considered with their obverse sets.

Required obverse inscriptions for the platinum proof coin are “Liberty,” “In God We Trust,” “E Pluribus Unum” and the year of issuance.  An additional inscription of “Life” has been added on some of the 2018 obverse designs and “Pursuit of Happiness” on some of the 2020 obverse.

Reverse designs for the 2018, 2019, and 2020 Platinum Proof coins will feature an American eagle and will stay the same over the three year series.  Required reverse inscriptions for the platinum coin are “United States of America,” “1 oz.,”  “.9995 Platinum,” and the denomination, “$100.”

01-set-01small

Set 01 is inspired by Art Deco reliefs and features an American eagle in the background of each design, representing America’s democratic government “instituted among men” to protect, defend and secure the rights of its citizens.

06-set-02small

Set 02 displays the principles of “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness” united by an American flag, which flows across all three designs when they are displayed in a triangle formation.

12-set-03small

Set 03 depicts elements inspired by the Statue of Liberty, one of the most powerful symbols of America.

17-set-04small

Set 04 features allegorical figures inspired by classical symbolism, paying homage to the political thinkers of eras past who influenced the roots and the branches of American democracy.

22-set-05small

26-set-06small

Set 05 and Set 06 depict allegorical figures in beautiful landscape settings.  The sun and star, used throughout, represent hope, destiny and the potential for happiness.

30-set-07

34-set07asmall

Set 07 and Set 07A portray Liberty planting seed for future sustenance, lighting the way westward, and harvesting the well worked crops.  The inscriptions “Life,” “Liberty,” and “Happiness” are likenesses of the handwritten words from the Declaration of Independence.

38-set-08small

Set 08 features the primary design elements for “Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness” set against a textured field.

43-set-09

48-set-09asmall

Set 09 and Set 09A illustrate the progression of a female from infancy to adulthood.  In each, the figure is accompanied by an American flag, enjoying the protection it affords, and holding an olive branch to symbolize peace.

53-set-10small

Set 10 features a close-up of the hand of the Statue of Liberty holding aloft her torch.  The flames from the torch become visually more energetic, underscoring how the unalienable rights Americans enjoy build upon one another.

57-setxx-rev11smallall

Other Reverses: Reverse-11 features an eagle as it prepares to land; Reverse-12 shows a close-up view of an eagle, emphasizing its powerful form as it looks to the left; Reverse-13 portrays an eagle grasping an oak branch; Reverse-14 depicts a close-up view of an American eagle’s head.

The results of the tomorrow’s CCAC meeting will be posted as information becomes available.

Comments

1. Old Big Bird says

One of my pet peeves.

I was watching TV last night and my good old friend Mike Mizaek was on HSN Coin Collection.
    He was selling SF70 1/4 oz SLQ one of 471 fore $999.95. Now assuming he does not get his sets earlier that
    poor old collectors, he had 6 days to get them in and have them certified. RIGHT. Plus he must of had a lot more than 471 to be able to get that many as SF70. Or he gets them earlier than the rest of us and returns the left overs back to the our wonderful US Mint.

Now here is a better one. He was selling and showing a 2016 5 oz Theodore Roosevelt coin and I believe he was selling it for $199.95. He had one in hand to show and stated he had hundreds of them for sale. Here is the problem the US Mint is not releasing them until October 6th to us poor old collectors

How does the little guy get a even break even with a HHL of 1

Just a thought

2. earthling says

These drawings leave a lot to be desired. Sometimes they look good, sometimes bad, but the actual Coin might be completely different in appearance when it is minted.

After all is said and done, voting with ones feet is the best commentary on the chosen design.

3. cagcrisp says

@MT “Are you aware of any cases from this year or any past year where the initially stated minting facilities for a given product were incorrect or later modified? ”

No. This is the first year that I have copied the schedule and I have not compared it to any offerings for this year.

IF you can think of a Specific offering for this year that might have changed, I will look…

4. cagcrisp says

Peter 75,000/2
    HarryB 75,000/2
    DBR 75,000/1
    zephin 55,000/1
    Old Big Bird 50,000/1

5. MT says

@cagcrisp — Thanks. This is a long shot, but what about (“S”) for the June 16 release? As you know, in the three years of its existence the coin in set has jumped from D to W to S. That’s the only one that comes to mind.

6. cagcrisp says

@MT, The American $1 Coin and Currency Set 2016 was Originally set for March 14, 2016 and it was listed “San Francisco (S)”

7. data dave says

@OldBigBird – I have some TR pucks also. I assume he had the bullion versions. If he had the “P” version then someone should be crying foul. I’m surprised you can even watch that show. You can buy all the pucks you want for about $120 instead of $199.

As for the gold SLQ, how many they already have and how many have actually been graded, I wouldn’t believe a thing they say. Maybe the 471 is a snap shot in time of how many have been graded SF70 in total by one of the graders. But you too could have 471 of them if you wanted to.

8. baldwin says

cagcrisp… the mintage levels and HHL of the WLH are going to be interesting. I think the coin itself is more well known than the other previous releases because of the ASE. That might make the release a little different, or more of the same. If they follow the trend of the SLQ then I see them releasing it at 75,000 and HHL 2. I think 2 would make sense since the price increase will also push some buyers off to the sidelines and allow a single buyer to step in. If the mint believes the WLH is going to sell better than the SLQ then I see them holding to the 100,000 and HHL of 5. Same logic used for the increased HHL.

9. So Krates says

Old Big Bird – I don’t watch yer boy Mike, but if I’m not mistaken, I believe he sells mostly ANACS graded modern stuff. As I have stated before, the ANACS MODERN division appears quite corruptible and grades seem arbitrary and labels gimmicky. That’s probably how he knows about how many 70’s. Please note that the slabbed CLASSIC coins by ANACS are often graded quite conservatively and can hold their own against the other big two.

I would guess that the TR ATB coin was the bullion version which has already been sold to the Mint’s Authorized Purchasers and is widely available. If he had the “P” version in hand then you’re right, that would be a SCANDAL as they have not been offered for sale yet. So two different versions:

– bullion (mint does NOT sell directly to public)
    – collector – “P” mintmarked with vapor blasted finish, box, and papers (mint sells to public)

10. cagcrisp says

DBR 75,000/1
    zephin 55,000/1
    Old Big Bird 50,000/1
    baldwin 75,000/2

11. Mark Rex says

WLH

40000/1 (final mintage 38,500)

For the SLQ I think final mintage will be 50,000. Lots of take backs from the flippers.

12. cagcrisp says

zephin 55,000/1
    Old Big Bird 50,000/1
    baldwin 75,000/2
    Wilycoyote 50,000/1
    Mark Rex 40,000/1

13. Montana John says

@ Cag I’ll guess 125,000 HHL 2..only because it hasn’t been taken yet…and I think with a mintage of 150,000 for the Reagan CC they MUST have something special planned

14. Hawkster says

So Krates,
    I would also add that ANACS would like to retain a large volume customer such as the HSN guy by giving him very favorable coin grades. I am sure the grading company is well aware whose coins it is grading.

15. dave says

my guess for the WLH ill go with 45,000 should be no more than 25,000 but yes its the mint probably be some crazy number but alas ill say 45,000 and HH 1

16. Hawkster says

KCSO,
    Yes, I did get a laugh out of your numerous string of comments obsessing about and hoping for a “S” mintmark on the proof ASE which will be included in the Reagan set. And I do admit to a penchant for attempts at humor through the use of puns, etc. in my comments. And yes, I do often pick up
    up on previous comments to do so.
    I would just recommend to you to simply skip over my comments and move on to the ones you consider worthy and acceptable. I just feel that in this deadly serious hobby of coin collecting there is a little room for humor. I also realize that some Blog readers will appreciate my brand of humor( or, at least tolerate it), while others, like yourself, will not. So be it.

17. gary says

So this means that the existing (1997 to date) platinum obverse will become obsolete beginning in 2018, to be replaced with changing obverse designs 2018 through 2020 paired with a new reverse of an eagle to remain constant for those 3 years???

18. cagcrisp says

baldwin 75,000/2
    Wilycoyote 50,000/1
    Mark Rex 40,000/1
    Montana John 125,000/2
    dave 45,000/1

19. Buzz Killington says

Some of these designs are super sweet — they don’t look like anything we’ve ever seen on US coinage before. I would love to see an allegorical liberty holding a Grim Reaper scythe.

I appreciate Set 1, even though the reverse eagle is very similar to the reverse of the Bridgeport Half dollar, with PT Barnum on the front, I believe.

Set 10 is the worst, obviously, and Sets 5-6 remind me too much of the 2015-16 designs. This new series should have a distinct style.

20. Jeff says

Last knockoff sold 47k +/- first day @ $485 this coming replica, knockoff will be around 22k @ $1000 at best mintage 30k at best , maybe 25k collector’s of these knockoff total at at best.

21. Sith says

Stop talking everyone’s estimates, the almighty Jeff has spoken. As a reminder, please don’t debate Jeff, remember he is all knowing as such it now a know fact that no collector would need a HHL grater than 5 tom 10 coins. Resistance is useless.

22. Sith says

Let me re-post that:

Stop taking everyone’s estimates, the almighty Jeff has spoken. As a reminder, please don’t debate Jeff, he is all knowing, as such it is now a known fact that no collector would ever need a HHL greater than 5 to 10 coins. Resistance is useless.

23. Mr. Kairu says

Based on the Dime and Quarters.. I will guess 60,000 and HHL 2. Should be interesting can’t wait to see what it looks like in the gold! 😀

24. cagcrisp says

Wilycoyote 50,000/1
    Mark Rex 40,000/1
    Montana John 125,000/2
    dave 45,000/1
    Mr. Kairu 60,000/2
    a Bob 80,000/1

Old Big Bird, Jeffery……Nobody gets the coins before the actual release date…..except maybe ANA shows, etc…..but nothing in bulk.

And yes I saw the HSN show, and the TR 5 oz was the bullion version, which several posters and I already have in hand.

26. Jeff says

Canceled my Proof Subscription @ 125% over spot makes no logical sence. But I’m sure may here don’t care. I say enjoy .

27. Vic says

I like first coin design of 7 and 7A. Not that I would buy them, as I don’t collect platinun coins. The only platinum coin that I had was a contemporary counterfeit of a 2 Escudos coin of Spain which had a gold bath on it. And I traded it with a friend which wanted that counterfeit bad.

28. cagcrisp says

Mr. Kairu 60,000/2
    a Bob 80,000/1
    Big C 65,000/2
    Don 50,000/2
    ClevelandRocks 75,000/1

29. Coin Collector says

I received and returned my 2016 gold Standing Liberty quarter. When I opened the box, I was so disappointed! The coin was small. I’m not sure why I was expecting it to be bigger. Was it worth $485 to me? Nope. I could use the money for other coin purchase I’d like to make.

Anyone else disappointed in their gold quarter?

30. Montana John says

I received my SLQ today via a very thin UPS “Reusable Express Envelope” no padding or packing material.How it survived without being flattened like a pancake I’ll never know

Yes, the gold quarter WAS pretty small. Seems like someone had said something on here a while back about it being closer to the size of a nickel, and that appeared to be true. Oh well. It is what it is.

Wasn’t the 3/4 oz. gold Kennedy half the same size (around, anyway) as a silver or clad one? Could the Mint use that same method to make the gold Walking Liberty half, or has that ship already sailed and it will also be smaller like the dime and quarter?

32. Jerry Diekmann says

I like all the reverses and could accept any of the obverses except for 01 and 08. Not that I could ever afford to buy any of these coin – only if the Mint were to issue them as fractionals. Even 1/4 oz. coins would cost around $500.00. The Mint must think all collectors are rich people – we aren’t!

33. cagcrisp says

Call it the Halo effect from the Liberty Silver medals. Since reporting on 08/12/16 Gold had dropped on Average ~ $30.00 oz and in EVER reported category Prices were Up from previous Averages…

‘Sold Listing’ of the ‘2015 high relief Liberty’ on the bay through 09/14/16 since Day 1. (updated Sales Number since 08/12/16):

OGP….….441…. Average Sold pricing….$1,634.34 (+14 Sold)
    NGC 68…….3…..$1,514.83 (+0)
    NGC 68PL…1…..$1,625.00 (+0)
    NGC 69….143…..$1,609.47 (+3)
    NGC 69PL..16…..$2,139.68 (+1)
    NGC 70….487…..$1,826.93 (+9)
    NGC 70PL..17…..$8,254.06 (+1)
    PCGS 69….145…..$1,560.41 (+2)
    PCGS 70…835…..$1,849.02 (+19)
    PCGS 70PL.12…..$9,424.17 (+1)
    TOTAL…2,100…..$1,859.35 (+50)

34. Jerry Diekmann says

For cagcrisp’s list – 75,000 and 1. If the quarter has a mintage of 100,000 and half of them sold with a HH limit of 1, the Mint won’t make more than 100,000 or increase the HH limit – that would be crazy, even for the Mint. The number issued would have to be less, but I think it would have to be greater than 50,000. So, that’s my reasoning.

35. Dean says

The shipping carton for my SLQ might have been tampered with as well. It arrived with clear packing tape around the flap that seals the box and the sides where there’s a slot to close the box appeared to have been forced open (curls on the corners). But I opened the box anyway.

I’m not disappointed with the coin, though I was a bit taken aback by the size even though I knew the specs before buying. Condition is decent; I don’t use any kind of magnification tool but I’d hazard a guess of SP69 due to what looks like hazing in the field on the reverse.

36. cagcrisp says

Truman vs. Eisenhower vs. Johnson

I’ve tracked the Truman’s since 08/02/15. Total bay Sales for the Truman’s in OGP are 1,350…

1st 62 Sold Averaged $201.00
    Next 59 Sold Averaged $213.72
    Next 59 Sold Averaged $254.52
    Next 59 Sold Averaged $260.89
    Next 59 Sold Averaged $264.05
    Next 59 Sold Averaged $280.21
    Last 49 Sold Averaged $263.66

I’ve tracked the Eisenhower’s since 08/17/15. Total bay Sales for Eisenhower in OGP are 3,127…

1st 215 Sold Averaged $206.68
    Next 208 Sold Averaged $156.52
    Next 208 Sold Averaged $152.27
    Next 208 Sold Averaged $124.68
    Next 208 Sold Averaged $109.95
    Next 208 Sold Averaged $88.86 *One Seller sold 170 @ $85.00
    Last 208 Sold Averaged $95.78

I’ve tracked the Johnson’s since 10/27/15. Total bay Sales for the Johnson in OGP are 2,005…

1st 150 Sold Averaged $96.79

Big C 65,000/2
    Don 50,000/2
    ClevelandRocks 75,000/1
    Imaginary 65,000/1
    Jerry Diekmann 75,000/1

38. cagcrisp says

@Imaginary “You should at least give the winners a 2016 Proof ASE 😉”

I’ve Tossed the idea around. The problem is when there is a reward there will be some trying to game the system. How do you break mintage ties? Currently 23 have a HHL of 1; 9 have a HHL of 2; and Only 1 Winner has a HHL greater than 2; IF a reward was offered some would just pick a number that hasn’t been chosen before and that’s not the results I’m shooting for.

Plus… I’m afraid one of those pesky Mint insiders would change the mintage and HHL just to win a proof ASE since they can’t smuggle one out in a lunch bucket any more…

39. Joe M. says

#1- Ugly, #2-Eagle and Lady Liberty are ok, #3-not bad, #4-clothing makes coin ugly,
    #5 AND #6 – WINNERS!!!!!! I’LL BUY THOSE SETS!!!!
    #7, #8, #9 – Wouldn’t even consider them,
    #10 and #11…would love to see those in gold, platinum, and SILVER!!

40. So Krates says

“I’m afraid one of those pesky Mint insiders would change the mintage and HHL just to win a proof ASE…”

Ha. That’s pretty funny.

Also had a BIG laugh over your .5 HHL comment the other day !

41. Jerry Diekmann says

Joe M. – I’m with you!

Dean – sorry to say, but there are crooks in the Post Office. Last month I received an empty box instead of 14 rolls of wheat pennies. The EBay seller had sealed everything, and it was in a USPS priority box with tracking. It wen from NC to SC – the state that gave us the Civil War – and was probably stolen there – the crook sliced the seal, removed the coins, resealed the empty box, and, knowing that it had tracking, sent it on its way, t make it more difficult to trace where the coins were stolen. Anyway, it finally gets to LA, and then my mailbox. I notified the seller so he can put in a claim, and I took the empty box to the Postmaster and she said she would give it to the Postal Inspectors who she said have a good record of apprehending thieves.

And speaking of thieves, today a deale that I have done business with for several years told me that he was a victim of a smash-and-grab while he had stopped in San Diego to see another dealer on the way home from the bg Long Beach show. He lost $45,000 – his cost – in coins plus a suitcase of dirty clothes. Apparently soe pople, including crooked deales, conspire with theves by tacking all he dealers who leave the loading docks at the end of the coin shows. They do this by tracking their cell phone numbers which they get by picking up dealers’ business card and/or putting a tracking device on the car. The dealer doesn’t ever know that he is being followed, but if he stops for food or a restroom break or to see someone, like my friend did, thee crooks swoop in and steal whatever they can from their cars. The cops do nothing to try and locate the crooks – they write up a report and that’s all they are going to do. Very disturbing that our hobby is infested with crooked dealers, shills and thieves, TPG working with HSN and other big dealers, and other lowlifes who don’t want to work for a living but want to make a fast buck off of honest people. I’m about to leave thishobby I once loved forever.

42. Jeff says

Dean buyer beware, your buying a replica, a knockoff that is to simulate. Your $500 spend wisely enjoy your trinkets. Now hide that gold trinket don’t let no one know you have one. I heard people here say stash with your ammo and guns because there coming, they are coming. Oh and if you should showcase your 1,2,or 3 trinkets that cost you $1800-$2000 for <1.25 oz. Of gold don't tell them that. Hey I hope the mint throws everyone there bones of their choosing, what ever cloud of hopium your on.

43. MikeinPA says

because of the higher price I believe the HHL limit will be raised to 3 with a mintage of 100,000, with the hope that those with deep pockets will help with a sellout

44. a Bob says

Too soon to see what can be made of theses designs but design 7 & 7a seem to state Life Liberty and “Happings”. To funny.

45. So Krates says

Jerry – Great stories, thanks for sharing. I would have left the pennies in there and sealed it back up. I’ll bet he was disappointed when he learned they were only worth $20 (assuming common dates).

The dealer robbery sounds like James Bond pulled it off. Unless you have something beyond speculation I’d encourage you to apply Ockham’s Razor. While cellular signal triangulation and GPS trackers are sexier, I’d guess the crooks just watched him load up, followed him and just waited for a pit stop. It happens more frequently then you’d think.

46. a Bob says

On second thought. Set 5 & 6 have the best shot. All of the eagle reverses are pretty good also. Even the rip off of Germany.

47. Yes, But...You Can't Take It With You says

Jerry – The dishonesty is sad to be sure, but why will you just leave coin collecting when dishonesty is endemic to our culture, from the White House on down? Our nation no longer has a moral compass and our hobby is just one example of what is happening in every sphere of our society. That said, it certainly does feel like a personal violation when coins are stolen.

Features the Theodore Roosevelt National Park quarter design
    34th overall in the America the Beautiful Quarters® Program
    Minted at the Philadelphia Mint
    Item Number: 16AM
    Mintage Limit: 30,000
    Product Limit: None
    Household Order Limit: None

49. Joe M. says

@Jerry Diekmann 🙂
    Set 5 is my favorite of all of them. 6 is very nice too, but I would rather see all of her, not footless as in choice 6…I didn’t notice that the first time I scanned through all 11 choices.

50. cagcrisp says

Imaginary 65,000/1
    Jerry Diekmann 75,000/1
    MikeinPA 100,000/3
    smalltimecollector 45,000/1
    CF 60,000/2

51. Joe M. says

Set # 10 – I would love to have my 2 personal sets in 1 ounce as follows…
    1 Uncirculated and 1 Proof.
    Life – Silver.
    Liberty – Gold.
    Pursuit of Happiness – Platinum.
    I think that gold coin in the middle of the 2 shiny “silver” things would look pretty cool 🙂
    My guess for the walker gold – 75,000 – HHL 1…sellout in 30 days or less…but I’ve been wrong about earthquakes in So. Cal too…LoL

52. cagcrisp says

I Don’t normally play in the numismatic ASE game, however, I do have a few gifts to get and for 2016 I will be Playing the Uncirculated ASE game.

For ME the risk/reward looks greater there than the Proof…

zephin, Yeah, I decided to buy my first proof ASE ever. The only real reason I’m picking up a couple today is to mate the ASE (W) and the silver Liberty medal together to create a set. I’m not a fan of the high mintage ASE proof, but this one I think is worth it. Since the Mint has given us an (S) silver Liberty medal, an (S) ASE would let us make another nice looking set. And if that’s the case, it all will hold it’s value without a problem. I’m I in a hurry? Nah, but today is just as good as any. I’m hoping for mintage of the ASE to not go too far into the saturated area. I’d like to see it stay around 3 or 4 hundred thousand total.

zephin says
    “Anyone picking up any ASE today? Or no big hurry for this?”

I’m in for 10 by enrollment, but will probably pick up a couple of 70’s when they come out too. I had been only buying 5 each year but decided to double it up this year because of the 30th Anniversary.

55. Dave SW FL says

Just got an email from Penn Metals offering proof SAE in OGP at BELOW MINT PRICING with free shipping. So if you don’t care about maybe getting a 70, you can save a few bucks.

cagcrisp, That would be good if the Mint were to not produce them according to prior mintages. I can imagine them falling within the 170 to 230 range. ASE’s just don’t increase much in value unless they can compete at the 100,000 area. You must be believing there’s a chance they could be held back there. Well, I give you a lot of credit for sound thinking, so if you think it’s possible, then I’ll enjoy enjoy watching the game. And since some readers insist on decisiveness in comments, let it be known then that I’ll play too.

57. earthling says

Im turning into a Midas. Having great thrills just watching the Bank Balances grow. Soon I might even try selling a few Coins again although the last time I did the Ebay thing was about 15 years ago.

No ASE Proofs for me today. But maybe a couple BU’s when those come out.

58. cagcrisp says

MikeinPA 100,000/3
    smalltimecollector 45,000/1
    CF 60,000/2
    Joe M. 75,000/1
    Ikaika 65,000/1

59. MT says

@cagcrisp –“I Assume you’ve been watching…”
    Well, not over the past 2 days where I now see it has picked up. By my quick count, 111 switched hands to two buyers over a 28-hour period. And yet the supply is still there. Perhaps not coincidentally, those sales took place during the same window (Sept 14-16) as a targeted ebay promotion for 10% back on non-bullion items over $50. The first batch started moving exactly 15 minutes after I received the email promotion from ebay at 11:33am on the 14th.
    Although I didn’t pick up any Ike sets during this promotion (for $76.50), I did repurchase my second WLH from that TX seller for ~ $201 after applying two promotions (10% + $15 coupon). Not bad for a PCGS 70 with OGP. After parting with my original pair of dimes, I’ve now got them back in graded form. Two is how many I wanted all along, so am done with that item and am happy about how it all played out.

60. cagcrisp says

Strange Percentages…

Guesstimate for the SLQ…Only 2 out of 66 (3%) chose a HHL of 1
    Guesstimate for the WLH…26 out of 38 (68%) are choosing a HHL of 1

61. cagcrisp says

@MT, Seems there is a correlation between that TX Seller and that Eisenhower Seller…

…Unending supply…

62. So Krates says

I like proof ASEs as gifts but my coin giving has (mostly) already been done for the year. Day late, dollar short, Minty. Plus they’re not great investments (yeah, I know). Thirty dates and how many bring over issue price…maybe two or three? Almost as bad as proof sets. I’ll pick one up for $30 down the road. Or just getz mines with the Raygun.

63. Ikaika says

As Dave SW FL mentioned, there is a dealer selling the 2016 ASE proof below mint cost with free shipping. That is funny seeing these dealers compete with the US Mint to sell their own product.

64. Barry says

In regard to the coin theft story , I always turn off the location feature on my cell phone along with the WiFi unless I want to use the GPS . Don’t know how well it prevents tracking but, that is what I do.

65. Ron says

I may have missed it on one of the blast here but I expect the gold Walking Liberty half to be the same size as the First Spouse gold. If it has been mentioned my apologies.

cagcrisp – my guess is 75,000/2 @ $985.00 if gold is still in this range.

66. earthling says

I brought both my SLQ’s to work tonight so I could take a long look at both. One is a 1917 Type 1 PCGS MS64 FH and the other is the 2016 Gold Tribute Coin.

Overall I think the 1917 is my favorite. It has better luster I suppose because of being struck in Silver as opposed to the softer 24 kt Gold. In my mind I can see the Gold flowing much easier than the coin Silver with a marked difference in the degree of flow lines.

Funny thing is I believe I’d like some old circulated Coins the best. I remember getting dateless SLQ’s once in a while as a young Collector and having a bunch with legible dates would be so cool. The only problem I can see is that most circulated SLQ’s online just seem too expensive for my overly thrifty self.

I gotta go to a Coin Show soon.

67. Jerry Diekmann says

Dave & Sith – Jeff the Great is not just smokin’, he’s on FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE!!!. Check the ne MNB for today – Sept. 16. You do have to admit – he does liven up the show here!

68. Tony says

Do you think the U.S. Mint will use the SLQ sold by the end of this month as an guide for the WLH mintage HHL 1? With the price of 900.00+, will flippers or the big boys think it will be worth it?