Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin Mintage

The final sales figure for the 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin is being reported as 115,178 by Numismatic News.

This number is 3,113 higher than the number reported on the last available sales report from December 27, 2009. This indicates that there was a small surge in last minute orders during the final days of availability. In the preceding three one-week periods, the coins had recorded sales of 587, 1,887, and 1,384.

Before the coin went on sale, the unlimited mintage represented somewhat of an uncertainty and a possible draw back. After several weeks of heavy ordering, sales settled into a steady pace amidst a few bumps higher, which coincided with increases in the household ordering limit.

Overall, the pace of sales remained relatively moderate. The initial ordering limit of one per household kept a restraint on sales at a time when excitement about the offering was highest. When limits were raised and eventually lifted, prices were higher and some of the excitement had faded.

In my opinion, for a single year issue of a very unique offering, this mintage at this level is at a reasonable level to support continued premiums.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

OMG PEOPLE… it's a modern gold coin with a mintage of 115,000!! that equals ultra common!

Premiums will go down, down, down…

Every single other gold coin produced this past year is and will always be rarer the the UHR.

You might as well have thrown your money in a supermassive black hole if you "invested" in this coin… did you get some John Tyler rolls to go with it too, cuz you know the premium on those is about to explode!

Seriously, give it up – the UHR is a bullion coin now and will be so in the future. I can get one for a small premium over spot anytime in the next 20 years.

I'll stop beating the dead horse now.

2. Anonymous says

I respectfully disagree with you. The coin should always command a nice premium, simply because you can't just buy a 2008 or 2010 UHR instead. One-year only issues of mass appeal are always in demand.

3. Anonymous says

Poster # 1, take it easy young fellow. You sound like someone who was betting against the prices all year, and didn't buy one. Maybe yes, maybe no. Obviously many folks did for whatever reason people buy anything. I don't challenge your decision not to buy one of these, perhaps the idea of instant 'rarity' or very low mintage guides your decisions to acquire coins. I must tell you that I too own one, yes only 1, and I didn't buy it either. It was a birthday gift from my older son who graces my personal collection with numismatic items he will inherit one day. Smart boy. When I opened the little outer box last May and saw what it was, my reaction was "Wow". He laughed and said something to the effect that he was 'salting' his future with items that will increase in value 'later on'.

Surely you are keenly aware that mintages mean nothing as years go bye. Rarity changes over time. High mintage coins have been bagged and melted away into bars, rounds, and industrial use every time the economic cycle favors high silver & gold prices. The average person doesn't scan coins for special dates/mint marks that are turned in for melt value. While we peg values based on reported mintage totals, you wouldn't want to bet those totals hold true.

Maybe a bit long winded, but don't fret too much about the UHR's having a 115K production. Years from now, that number most probably won't mean diddly. ~Grandpa.

4. Anonymous says

Premiums on most modern coins will be held in check by the significant number/availability of coins graded 69 or "perfect" by the services – reflecting better production methods.

5. Anonymous says

Thank goodness I have a fist strike…I know many of you don't like that but hey it makes me happy!

6. Anonymous says

Poster #1. Get a clue!
    The original St.G double eagles AVERAGED over one million PER year! The 1928 alone minted over 8.8 million gold double eagles!

The mintages for the proof buffs already exceeds the UHR.

0.115 mil is likely much less than anticipated likely from the high price of gold that is likely here to stay as long as we keep buying stuff from China.

7. Anonymous says

I just received my UHR a few days ago SO the last 3000 or so orders actually have the right to return them for a refund for a few more days.

8. Anonymous says

Personally I was disappointed with the one per household limit being lifted. I think a great thing became an ok thing.. No loss but not real future gain. 50K would have been a nice number….

9. Anonymous says

Bowtie,

Try the 2006 Buffalo Gold Proof coin. It's mintage was around 250,000 and it sells for $1,300-$1,400 today, or a good $200-$300 over spot price. It's even better when you consider that it only cost $800 the entire time it was available from the Mint. It was a product from back in the "good old days" when the Mint did not adjust prices every darn week. Those who bought that one at issue price are making out like bandits today.

The Ultra High Relief coin will always have demand and will always command a nice premium over spot. Of course, the price of the coin WILL be affected by serious drops in the price of gold, so it is not foolproof. If gold spot drops to $500, the coin will still sell for at least $800 or so. That is not a good thing, but it is not a TOTAL loss either. The price ranges of $1,189-$1,539 that it sold for during 2009 from the Mint obviously gives a disadvantage to those who bought on the high end of the scale.

Unless gold takes a serious dive, this coin will sell for a great price for many who bought it from the Mint.

10. Anonymous says

Reality check: 1/3 of TOTAL UHR were sold in the first week (late Jan). If limits were kept in place total mintages would not have been much different. Any thoughts about this Michael?

11. Anonymous says

If you think about it, that's only 115,000 of a one shot coin in a world of billions of people. I'll take those odds.

12. Anonymous says

Price is supply and demand related unless the gov't interferes. You may have a mintage of 8000 like the '09 Platinum but if no one else wants it the premium will primarily come from the rise in metal price. If you have a 1 million mintage and 50 million want it then price adjusts upward fast. Also demand may change over the years. Many collectors like the classic designs. These nearly always improve with age. Madonna sitting on a commode on a platinum coin will sell for now but in the future? I dunno maybe it still would get a premium.

13. Anonymous says

Big difference between a gold coin minted for daily use. Of the millions, how many were melted down over the years.

T

14. John says

I just sold my last UHR coin this weekend. I am sad to let it go, but I needed to free up such cash. I believe most of the readers on this board can agree that the coin will hold a premium over the spot price by at least 300 dollars. So that gives the coin it's bottom. If gold goes to 700 the coin will sell for at least 1000. Yes that would be a loss for every one who hold the coin, but with the economy the way it is I would say the chance is greater than %50 percent that as the years go by gold holds at the current level or higher. Now the second factor besides the price of gold is the genuine demand for the coin. I think this is a slam dunk that as years go by people will still want this coin just look at the one year buffalo fractionals. Folks when some new collector or someone who finally has the funds to acquire the coin ten years from now wants to purchase a ultra high relief gold eagle guess what the only year available will be 2009 with a total mintage of .115 million assuming that gold did not shoot to the moon and thousands get melted before then. I also wanted to talk about the micro scratches that some people were mentioning earlier. I purchased a total of 11 of the coins of which only 3 were graded ms70 from pcgs. most of the coins with the exception of the first two that I had ordered were in my opinion perfect and i just could not understand how they could be ms69 when for all practical purposes these coins represent the mints best technology and highest striking pressures of all time. So I studied them intently looking for some flaw of this truly beautiful coin and the only thing I spotted was very small polish marks from the die that appear as small micro scratches in the obverse field.In fact this coin was struck so well it appeared prooflike. These small marks in my opinion are from the polished dies and should not of knocked the coin to a 69, since it is not a defect in the coin itself. I would be curious to see some ngc graded prooflike uhr's to see if the scratches are more prevalent in the well struck coins.

15. Anonymous says

Keep in mind folks the 115K mintage is to satisfy all future coin collectors. It's a solid investment. Period! Unless of course you just wanted to flip the coin in 6 months then that's your problem.

16. Anonymous says

I believe many of you are missing the point. This coin was minted for collectors. Sure, some speculators bought as well, but there is better methods than buying gold coins with $300-$400 dollar premiums. Most collectors don't check the price their coin is bringing every other day.

I for one will not be selling my UHR whether the price is $10 or $10,000. I bought it because I enjoy the coin.

There will always be flippers, they were around when gold was $35 an oz. too. Good luck with that. Same for the folks buying plastic and paper labels.

17. Anonymous says

Man, if the price was $10,000 for an UHR I would sell both of mine in a HEARTBEAT! I would simply retain fond memories of once owning two of them while I enjoyed spending the money! 🙂

18. Anonymous says

The UHR is a collector coin and as an added bonus if you have to or want to sell it should always bring a premium. So I think it is a winner all the way around. I would have preferred a slightly larger version maybe 1 oz. at 90% purity or 1 1/2 oz. of pure. But in looking back we are probably now lucky we even got what we got. It would never happen now.

19. Anonymous says

I just wonder if anyone collects coins for their beauty anymore, or is it all about making a profit tomorrow???? I LOVE my UHR, it is and always will be one of my favorite coins. If gold drops to $100 an oz next week, I could care less, I bought the coin for the coin, not for the gold it is made from.

20. Pancho says

Re: Gold Price in 2010 and beyond,
    Since the Central Bank of India purchased 200 metric tons of gold last fall, at about $1050 per ounce, it is highly unlikely that we see the gold price falling beyond that point.

Looking at the macro-economic picture and the quantative easing done in all over the world, the gold price will likely to go up this year. At the end of this year, most people expect $1400 to 1600.

Jim Rickards (respected economist) was on CNBC, and he mentioned that on the basis of fundamentals alone, gold should be $2000, and the price may be set at $4000 to $11,000 if we are to use gold as true monetary metal.

The bottom line; keep collecting your silver and gold coins and HOLD ON TO them. I am doing my part.

21. 40 yo says

One yr only issue at 115K mintage (and a popular design) I'm guessing it will be a valuable keep in 5-10 yrs time.

Look at the 2001 only Silver Buffalo. At 500K mintage this one yr onl silver is a much valued coin today. Only wished I had started collecting coins earlier. The 2001 silver buffalo is a classic imo.

22. Anonymous says

I'd forgotten about the silver buffalo mentioned above. Good example of high mintage and very high demand equal premium. Silver fractional buffaloes from the mint; wow, what great collectable coins those would be irregardless even if value did not increase. Just dreaming.

23. Anonymous says

As far as I see it, if the UHR didn't spike up at the close of 2009, this coin will never get a big premium over spot. That is ok. It is a beautiful coin, but if there was ever a time for it to really take off, it would have happenend by now….

24. Anonymous says

The UHR will slowly rise since many dealers and investors can't afford to hold to this coin since it costs so much to begin with. A 1999 silver proof set didn't tie up anyones serious assets so few would sell. Once the investors sell in the next few months, the coin will become scarce and the value will skyrocket. On a personal note, I own several UHR for my family, and like many others, I do not plan on selling any of them.

25. Anonymous says

I understand your first two sentences. The third one doesn't make sense economically. How does investors selling a coin in the next few months to release some cash make a coin scarce. The very fact of selling the coin removes its scarcity. Those who buy can also be willing to sell. Just like coin dealers do every day. People sell for many reasons. Just because a few say they will hold a coin forever doesn't mean they will. This coin will always be a special coin, but certainly not worth double its bullion value. There are way to many of them out there to justify that.

26. Anonymous says

To commenter above. Its all about demand. Refer to the slightly earlier comments on silver buffalo; high mintage PLUS high demand will give premium. I may have a $2 glass coffee cup from Walmart with a small bubble in the glass. Looks like an error cup and a one of. Its very scarce but I haven't yet put it on ebay. Going once, going twice, sold for 25 cents.

27. Anonymous says

To January 17, 2010 11:17 PM

Just because you think in the short term demand from UHR will not be there doesn't mean it won't be beyond a longer term time frame.

I'm sure the sellers in early 2001-2003 in the Silver buffalos think like you too (short term outlook and did not ride ut the longer term trend)
    In any case, the future is not set; but for you to write off the UHR this early (less then 1mth after it went out of sale) ; it's simply an opinionated call.

You can sell your UHR if u want; but u won't be able to convince the rest of us with your biased view.

28. Anonymous says

Modern or not alot of collectors seem to misunderstand this coin and how they tried to make it look exactly as it does now with the high relief and very very deep fields, over a hundred years ago which means. It took us over a hundred yrs to finally get this coin right.

Other factors being this coin has amazing history from the artistic design and that one of Americas greatest sculptors perosnaly designed this coin by personal,special request of Teddy Roosevelt. This coin was Teddys personal mission as President for this coin to be minted. Wanting America to have some of the most beautiful coins that could be possibly minted. This coin is all in a league of it's own and any real serious coin collector. Would want this coin in there collection.. This is a true gem and my personal all time faveorite coin. I am fortunate enough to own 3 of these and one luckily being a 70 but not a FS :(.
    115k won't be squat in 20 years from now when the mint is still coming out with lame designs. this coin is a once in a lifetime opertunity to own and I don't think I'll ever sell mine..
    Spiff

29. Anonymous says

The UHR will always go for more than sell price or bullion price which ever is higher. Its a:

1. classic coin,
    2. one of a kind,
    3. nice presentation, and
    4. unlikely mint will ever do anything like this again.

How much premium will be time will tell. I think always at least 20% more than bullion which is back on the rise and maybe a lot more in years to come.

30. Anonymous says

Sorry, but the UHR coin at 115,000 is a LOT for a gold coin… and it will NEVER command any more of a premium over spot gold than it does right now.

Look back at the 20th Anniversary set…only 250,000 Silver Eagle Reverse Proofs…they once sold for $350 and up and now can be had for under $200.

The early UHR 70's sold for $3000 and now only $2000.
    New issues from the Mint usally sell at their peak in the first few months and the UHR is no different

But if you want a "rare" gold coin go buy the Gold Eagle Reverse Proof…only 10,000 minted AND it looks much better than the 27mm UHR

31. Anonymous says

The UHR:

1.Classic coin
    2.One of a kind
    3.Nice presentation
    4.Mint will never do anything like this again

32. Anonymous says

The Reverse gold eagle is kinda lame even at a mintage of 10k considering most other countries have done this before we have.. How many other countries have made anything come close to the UHR? with a relief so high and the feilds so deep…I'm sure other countries could make something like this but they won't.. Not even China with all there knockoffs. Plus you won't get those scam artists from private mints who try to sucker newbs to buy there clad replicas..

People shouldn't knock the 27ML..
    The Mint wanted the thickest softest metal to strike the highest relief possible. You wouldn't get that kinda relief on a 34.. Unless it was a two ounce coin, and with that much gold it's almost unrelaistic for the practicle idea of circulation.. I'ts almost a mircale the old design was even minted and circulated considering Aygustas was practially on his deathbed with cancer when he completed the plasters for the coin to be minted. No one today would of had the gonads to be able to work through the pain and suffering Augusus went through when designing this coin. And for today. It being minted in his purist original form is even more of a miracle.. These coins almost shouldn't of ever existed.. Even as an ameture collector of only 7 years I know my history with this design since it is easily my favorite coin. Those of you who have any doubts about the UHR should do there homework and maybe learn a little something about the hobby and the coin, and the hard work and sacarfice it took to make it a reality…

Spiff

33. silence_doogood says

Well fast foward today, May 21, 2010 spot gold: $1172,00, down about $75.00 from a few days ago. Yesterday I sold two of my UHR's for $1600.00 each ( $428,00 above current spot)and I still have five left. I've been watching Apmex sell their UHr's for $1725,00 with NO PROBLEM so I guess all of us that bought the 115,000 Ultra High Reliefs have done OK……..

34. Anonymous says

It is November 2010. These coins are selling/closing on ebay for $2,000. Spot is $1308 tonight. That looks like a premium to me. Who cares about mintage the buyers want them. Those wise old owls (grandpa) at the beginning of this blog were right.

35. Anonymous says

First of all, I cannot believe how some of you get all bent out of shape over this coin. I'll tell you what, making $400 + profit in 5 months is not a bad rate of return at all. Me, I own one and will always own it. It is my intent to pass this coin down to my son and hopefully he will do the same. Every time I pull this coin out of my safe, I feel privileged to be on of 115,000 to own it. And the man who calls himself Grandpa, you are about a rude old man. Get a life.

36. Anonymous says

this Joker that started this is wishing he owned one now! the average price on ebay is 2600.00 for an ungraded one..this is a great investment I bought 3 out of the gate and a graded one for 1950.00 ms70 pcgs if you want it; it will be 3000.00 and if you want an ungraded one it will be 2650.00

37. guama says

rereading old posts…funny how the speculators were incorrect. Today the UHR’s are going for over $3000 on ebay. Now…who is laughing now??

Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin Ordering Limits to Rise

More than six months after the initial launch, the US Mint will finally raise the ordering limits for the 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin. Starting on July 27, the ordering limit will be increased from one coin per household to ten coins per household.

The one per household ordering limit has been in place since the coins first went on sale with the continual message that the limit would be “re-evaluated on a weekly basis.”

The UHR Double Eagle had gone on sale on January 22, 2009 with much fanfare. The coins were priced at $1,189.00 with an ordering limit of one coin per household. In the first few days of sales, more than 40,000 coins were sold.

In the ensuing months, the pace of sales slowed considerably. As of July 15, 2009, the US Mint has sold 69,517 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coins. For the past several months, the US Mint has typically sold fewer than 1,000 coins per week.

During the six months of sales, the price of the coin has fluctuated. Under the US Mint’s pricing policy for numismatic gold coins, prices can be adjusted weekly if the average price of gold moves across cerain threshholds. The price of the UHR Double Eagle has ranged from the initial offering price of $1,189 to a high of $1,339.

The secondary market has continued to support premium prices for UHR Double Eagles available in hand. These premiums are at least partially attributable to the low ordering limit and the potential for shipping delays. Recently completed eBay auctions still show uncertified coins selling for $1,400 to $1,500 each ($100 to $200 above the current US Mint price) with graded examples selling for even more. View current eBay auctions.

Lifting the ordering limit will no doubt have some interesting impacts. Prices on the secondary market may finally decline, particularly for uncertified coins. Collectors will be able to purchase coins directly from the US Mint in larger quantities. This will satisfy some of the demand for coins and also create a more accessible source for resellers.

Weekly sales will likely see a boost, although the effect might be tapered by the current price of gold. The coins are currently priced at $1,289, which is at the high end of the price range for the coins during the six month offering period.

One final thing worth mentioning- raising the household limit is another sign that the US Mint is finally getting a handle on their precious metals blank supply. Long awaited collector coins and some of the hold out bullion coins will hopefully be appearing soon.

Comments

1. Lasloo says

Just saw the UHR story in CoinWorld. I haven't bought one of 'em yet… but I hope to do so by the end of the year.

Proof 2009-W American Eagle gold
    Uncirculated 2009-W American Eagle gold
    Fractional 2009 American Eagle gold bullion coins
    Proof 2009-W American Buffalo 1-ounce $50 coins
    2009 American Buffalo $50 bullion coin

And they also suggested that the West Point mint does plan to make American Eagle silver collector coins, but is still waiting for more silver planchets to come in before officially announcing it.

2. Anonymous says

The US Mint has said fractional GOLD American Eagle coins are done.

This sounds so wrong-

"Also, CoinWorld had a small story which suggested that the West Point mint has started to gather the raw material to create:
    Fractional 2009 American Eagle gold bullion coins"

3. Anonymous says

I think he meant fractional gold PROOF coins. The Mint still plans to make those, right?

4. Anonymous says

I'm surprised how long the premium has held up in the secondary market. Mintage on these are very high.

I still haven't sold my PCGS MS70 FS though, but that wasn't my intention when I bought it.

Regular W GAEs of all years have a tough time holding their premiums (even proofs) and mintage numbers for those (especially the burnished W's) are a fraction of the already 69.5K sold of these.

Granted these are unique (99.9% gold like the Buffalos and First Lady coins), one year only, not issued in multiple versions (proof, burnished Uncirculated and Business Strike), beautiful but useless and massive display case, etc. but my guess is they'll eventually trade $100 to $200 above strike (the high end being for the MS70s).

5. Lasloo says

I'm only reporting what I read, and I just now looked back, and yep… they said they would be creating fractional bullion coins. And yes, the proof will also come in fractional sizes (1 ounce, half-ounce, quarter-ounce, tenth-ounce).

I remember reading somewhere (I wish I could remember where) that they initially were done with the fractional versions and the Buffalo coins… but that somewhere along the way, they realized that they were legally bound and therefore mandated to create these products. Can anybody verify that?

6. Anonymous says

I don't think the Mint was ever legally obligated to make the "W" Mint Marked UNCIRCULATED Buffalo Gold coins in ANY size. All of them, including the one ounce coin, were cut from the lineup last year. Also, the Mint was NEVER legally obligated to make any PROOF coins for collectors of any design, but did so simply as a courtesy because supplies were not tight. Things have changed quite a bit in the past couple of years, though.

The Mint IS legally obligated to manufacture the uncirculated one ounce American Buffalo BULLION Gold coins (without the "W" Mint Mark), and has plans to do so (later this year, of course.)

I doubt very seriously that we will EVER see the fractional Buffalo coins return. It almost didn't happen in 2008, then after a very small production run they were pulled. The sets that originally cost in the neighborhood of $1,900-$2,200 from the Mint now regularly fetch around $4,500-$4,800 on the secondary market. There are a lot more collectors of Gold Buffaloes than there are supplies of the 2008 collector coins, that's for sure!

7. Anonymous says

Make sure to get your 2008 American Buffalo Gold Uncirculated one ounce collector coin with the "W" Mint Mark, if you don't have one already. The total mintage on that one is very low (under 10,000 as I recall), and it is destined to become the KING of the one ounce Gold Buffaloes.

8. Lasloo says

You're probably right, its probably just the bullion Buffalo that they are required to make. I can't see Congress mandating numismatic versions of these coins.

Where would I go to get a 2008 Uncirculated W-mint Gold Buffalo? If there are only 10,000 or so, out there… then, there's probably not too many places to go to get one. Has previous recent versions of this coin gone up greatly in price. I don't follow the gold coins as closely.

9. Anonymous says

According to Numismaster, there were 9,427 2008-W Uncirculated Gold Buffalo one-ounce coins sold. The breakdown is 3,124 coins sold individually and 6,303 included in the 4-coin sets.

Due to the breakup of sets and submissions for professional grading, the current availability of raw coins in their original state is unknown. However you slice it, the one-ounce coin is most likely a tough find locally. Your best bet to get one is eBay, but they are not cheap.

If you have the money, buying a raw 4-coin set is a good bet. You will then own all four sizes, and the 1.85 ounces of pure gold you will get just may end up being worth the price you would pay now all by itself later, allowing you to claim the future premium for yourself.

10. Lasloo says

Maybe the better plan is to buy the 2009 version when it comes out (assuming that the CoinWorld article is accurate that they will do a collector version).
    However, how rare will the 2009 one be? Is it a set mintage, or will they keep making it as long as there is demand and they have gold?

11. Anonymous says

I am new to this hobby and I am having trouble seeing anything very small. What is the best magnifying equipment to buy?
    Thanks

12. Lasloo says

To Anonymous July 22, 2009 8:04 AM:

I have a 20x loupe with a LED light. Very nice. Though I don't remember the brand.

However, I also need more experience taking better photographs of my coins. Especially very CLOSE up photographs, so that I can focus on die marks and the like. Can anybody give aid in taking better photographs and getting REALLY REALLY close up?
    It would be nice if there was some kind of microscope-type set up that pushed the close up image to a sizable digital LED screen which could save then save those images on the screen to a memory card or USB stick.
    I also know that lighting is crucial, but I'm having a hard time grasping what I need and how I can get it to work properly.

13. Anonymous says

2008 W buffalo gold coins are winners so far. Watch ebay selling price you will notice the price is increasing weekly, if not daily. Though they are pretty expensive now, I do belive there is still room for them to go upward. Buy some if you don't have any.

14. Anonymous says

There goes the rarity of the UHR with the ten coin per household limit.

I think the mint should do a limited coinage of a two coin set of the UHR in Proof and Reverse Proof.

15. Anonymous says

AS of monday july 22, noon EST.
    you may now order up to 10 ultra-high relief gold coins per address.
    the current mint price is $1289 per coin plus shipping

Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin- Six to Nine Months For Delivery?

The start of sales for the US Mint’s 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin is fast approaching, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you will receive your coin any time soon.

While poking around the US Mint’s website, I managed to find the unreleased product page for the Ultra High Relief, which includes this statement:

The United States Mint will accept orders beginning on January 22, 2009 at 12:00 noon (ET). Orders will be processed on a first-in, first-out basis, and could potentially take up to six to nine months to complete based on gold blank availability.

When I previewed the Ultra High Relief back in mid-December, I had mentioned the possibility that the US Mint might be having trouble obtaining gold blanks, which could lead to a delayed launch and/or household ordering limit. It appears that rather than delaying the launch, the US Mint will simply delay shipping some orders for six to nine months. I think many would have preferred a delayed launch.

In addition to the delayed shipping, the US Mint will be implementing a household ordering limit of one per customer.

You can view the US Mint’s product page here, which also includes a price for the coin of $1,189.00. Under the new pricing policy this is based on the $800.00 to $849.99 gold price tier.

The delayed shipping combined with the household limit will complicate the launch and may leave many frustrated. Waiting six to nine months for an order to arrive might be more than some customers are willing to endure.

Coin dealers may also face a complicated situation. Some dealers have offered to purchase coins from individuals for a small premium in order to side-step the household ordering limit and fulfill pre-orders. The potential for a multi-month shipping delay for coins adds a new layer of complication to their purchasing and pre-order fulfillment process.

I hope that the US Mint is simply including this statement to be conservative, but the US Mint’s recent track record doesn’t leave me too optimistic. Time will tell…

Comments

1. Anonymous says

I will buy the coin on the first day. Then for the next SIX to NINE months, I will watch the price of the UHR, if it falls, I will cancel and re-order.

I assume everyone will do this. Thus the mint will sell the UHR at the coin’s lowest price to 99% of those ordering.

This cannot be good for the mint.

2. Anonymous says

Does anyone know if they will charge my credit card right away and make me wait 6 to 9 months, or does the charge normally appear once the item is ready to ship?

I have the same question about stuff that is backordered as well.

3. Michael says

Anonymous 1

I was thinking the same thing. If orders are delayed for six to nine months, everyone essentially gets a free option on the price of gold. If gold goes up, your price is locked in. If gold goes down, cancel your order and try again.

Anonymous 2

The charge should go through when the item ships.

4. John says

However lets say they can only produce 10,000 of these and you cancel your 1st day order and try to save $50.00 only to find out your new place in line is # 10,001 and now your order will be canceled and you will not get one at all.
    Just throwing that out there so you may want to weigh the risk to reward.
    They have never charged my card until they ship the item on anything I have ever purchased from the Mint.

5. Michael says

John, that’s a good point. Also, there’s no telling whether the US Mint might count your canceled order towards your household limit or handle in some other strange way.

6. Anonymous says

If you read the house bill on the
    Congressional act for this coin it looks like they are going to mint 25,000 if I read it correctly. My guess is they are going to sell out within hours tomorrow, so there is no chance of re-ordering. On the upside I think the wait will be well worth it, my speculation is the coin doubles in value by the end of next month. With dealers already willing to pay people a premium because of the household limit. You take a whack at it.

7. sure says

my experience with the mint this year was that it was *authorized* at time of sale and billed at time of shipment. that turned out to cause these situations:
    debit card, immediately hit for amount of sale, but dropped off three days later and then hit again for final sale at time of shipment.
    credit card, immediately hit at time of sale as *authorization* which my CC company deducted from credit line and remained this way until final sale when it was posted as sale.

so depending on how your debit/CC cards work it might be a better option with going with a debit card unless you do not mind sitting on a 1,200 reduction in CC line for the order fullfillment process to conclude.

Good Luck everybody, the day is almost here.

8. Keith says

Once everyone places their orders tomorrow, if the order page still shows a six to nine month estimated shipping date, I recommend that everyone write the Chair and Vice-Chair of the Senate Banking and House Financial Services Committee. Ask them to open an inquiry into the Mint’s practices and why they are taking orders for a product they don’t have and won’t have for an extremely long time.

And good luck placing an order. My money says the website crashes.

9. Anonymous says

I think the limit on buying is a great idea if you are the average collector, wanting a fair crack at buying. So we will not have to pay dealer premiums – just look today (the sale started today) on eBay and see what I mean.

Besides, those who want to buy more than one can buy through another family household or friend. And if a dealer wants to rape someone else, then they will first have to pay the average Joe to sell his inventory.

BTW, when I ordered today. It was hard to get through to them by phone or on line! The Mint explained they are not charging credit cards until the order ships.

And if prices go up then I am locked in at today’s rate. If they go down, then so what – cancel.

Get off it crybabies!

10. sure says

The coin I purchased and got email confirmation stated “backordered” yet also with a ship date of 1/28/09.
    I’m glad I did get a order in but my past experience tells me it could be a while before I see it. I did manage to place the confirmed order (so far, anyway) within 30 minutes. If that feat actually means anything as far as *first in-first-out* get in line please remains to be seen. I’m happy, right now, because I *supposedly own one that may be delivered in the near term.

11. Anonymous says

I made a purchase offer at 12:09 and it gave a tentative ship date of 1/28/2009. However, all subsequent phone inquiries indicated that no coins would ship until after 2/6/2009.
    They are treating this one like a CIA secret. I am anxious for the coin, but I will wait since no other choice exists.
    It is very interesting to watch the “sellers” jerk the civilians around on EBay!($1,500+)

12. Anonymous says

Does anyone know what limits the ability of the Mint to obtain blanks for mintage of this coin? They can’t be short of money, as I am sure they qualify for a bailout. Since they include a 15% profit margin above cost of production, they should never run out.

13. Anonymous says

Does anyone know what the “official release day” of the UHR coin is, for first strike purposes. As of Jan 30, have any shipped? Anybody receive one?