Unc ATB Sales Update and One Per Household Products

Total sales for the 2010-P Hot Springs Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin have now reached approximately 25,000 units. This accounts for more than 90% of the total mintage of 27,000 coins.

Sales of the coins began at the US Mint on April 28, 2011 at 12:00 Noon ET. The heavy orders placed at the start of sales took down the Mint’s website for about 45 minutes. By 9:00 PM ET, more than 19,000 orders had been accepted.

If not for the one per household ordering limit, these coins would have no doubt sold out on the opening day of availability. The US Mint has used ordering limits to ensure the broadest possible distribution to the public for products with an anticipated high demand.

There have only been a few other numismatic products released by the US Mint in recent years that have been subject to a limit of only one per household. I thought it would be an interesting exercise to examine these.

The Lincoln Coin & Chronicles Set went on sale October 15, 2009, had a maximum production of 50,000 units, was priced at $55.95 and limited of one per household. This product sold out after 30 hours of availability.

The Braille Education Set went on sale October 8, 2009, was limited to 25,000 units, priced at $44.95, and limited to one per household. The opening sales figures for the set were 2,719 units, which rose to 5,996 by the second week. At this point the ordering limit was removed.

The 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin went on sale January 22, 2009, had no maximum mintage, was initially priced at $1,189 per coin, and limited of one per household. Opening day sales were 28,173 coins. After four days, sales reached 40,727. More than six months after the start of sales, the ordering limit was increased to ten coins, later increased further, and eventually removed.

The 2007 10th Anniversary Platinum Eagle Set went on sale December 13, 2007, had a maximum production of 30,000 sets, initial price of $1,949.95, and limit of one per household. After one week, sales had reached 14,682. The US Mint re-evaluated the order limit at the 7-day mark and decided to keep it in place. The limit was eventually removed.

The 2007 Thomas Jefferson’s Liberty $10 Gold Coin went on sale August 30, 2007, had a maximum production of 40,000 coins across proof and uncirculated versions, initial pricing of $429.95 (proof) and $410.95 (uncirculated), and limit of one per option per household. A sell out occurred on the first day of sales.

The US Mint also imposed an ordering limit of one per option per household for the next releases of the First Spouse Gold Coin Program featuring Dolley Madison, Elizabeth Monroe, and Louisa Adams. None of these issues achieved a sell out. For each coin the limit was in place for at least the first seven days of sales, but eventually raised and/or removed. After the diminishing sales for the series became apparent, the US Mint imposed an initial ordering limit of ten per option per household starting with the Andrew Jackson’s Liberty release. Finally, starting with the 2010 releases, the US Mint stopped imposing an initial ordering limit for newly released First Spouse Gold Coins.

Coin Update News Featured Article:
Evaluating CAC Stickers by Michael Bugeja

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Wednesday morning at 9:30 and still not sell out, what in the world is going on here, maybe there was a misprint on the US Mint site; maybe the true mintage really should have been 270,000 and not 27,000, well it feels that way… Nevertheless, I was sure this coin would have sold out within the first day or two, and now we are almost a week in and no sell out. It makes no sense.

2. ~grandpa says

Just my 2 cents on the current anguish whether the Hot Springs is selling out or lagging slowly. Too many folks (me at times as well) have fallen into the trench that tags a numismatic item and it's value in relation to the mania of spot metal pricing. I think while it is another means to guide buying or selling activity, it's not the be-all to make a final decision.

There are important concerns to bear in mind about this item.

1. It is a numismatic classified offering and not a raw bullion piece.

2. It is in (polished) uncirculated finish and should be infinitely in better condition than the former raw bullion pieces. Issued straight from the Mint in a protective capsule is a key plus, no banging around to be scratched in tubes. As far as those who only buy slabbed coins, fine, but for my money I leave EVERYTHING raw in it's issued state
    and always will. You buy something from me, then you do what works for you, you have a choice.

3. They should grade higher, for those folks who use that as their decision making base. MS69-70 should almost be guaranteed from day one.

4. The mintage is clearly limited and pegged at 27,000 pieces. That suggests a loose form of desirability.

5. Whether folks will continue attempting to collect the entire series going forward or not, it is the first by matter of fact.

6. The inital 1 coin per household almost guarantee's wide distribution, and allows this item as not being cornered by the deep pocket crowd. You want one after all have been sold by the Mint, you need to pay up.

It's only my opinion based on almost 50 years of collecting, accumulating and investing in U.S. coins, but I think this offering is well worth the cash outlay. It is a prime example of my money being spent where it's treated best. Good luck.

3. Anonymous says

Market Watch update:

Silver futures drop 4%; gold also falls

Silver futures fell sharply Wednesday, as CME Group Inc.’s latest hike to silver margin requirements took effect and a newspaper reported that high-profile investors George Soros and John Burbank were selling the metals.

KABOOOOM!

4. Anonymous says

Don't worry too much about silver pulling back. JP Morgan Chase has a massive loss on paper as they shorted silver and have been exerting enormous pressure to drive it down in order to cover. They continually make poor judgments in my opinion and it hurts their bottom line profits. Mortgages, under writtings, ATM fees, oil speculation, and now shorting silver. They ought to stay with straight banking, and be successful in the long run. JMO.

5. VABEACHBUMZ says

Well said, Grandpa. Your "two cents" is invaluable to anyone who might consider becoming a COLLECTOR in the long-term, and certainly rings true with everything that I had considered when this Numismatic Product was coming to market.

What most people don't understand is that the Mint had struck these coins in late Summer or Fall of 2010 – on blanks they had purchased when Silver was spotting at $20 – $23 per FTO.

While everyone thinks that the Mint price is high for this numismatic issue, it falls in line, percentage-wise, with the mark-ups attached to the previous 1 oz., ASE PR releases. The Mint could have taken the current, 2011 market value of Silver and marked-up these 2010 coins from there.

I am hopeful that they will offer the same courtesy with the rest of the 2010 coins. As is, however, the Mint will have to adjust the pricing of the 2011 ATB "P" Coins. If Silver continues to track in the $40's, I am anticipating approximately $325 – $350 per 2011 ATB "P" coin.

Michael – to the best of your knowledge, has the Mint published any production numbers for the 2011 ATB "P" coins??

6. Anonymous says

Spoken like a true colletor grandpa.. I bought my 5 oz coin because of the unique factor. I was a little bent on the price and hopefully silver will drop so I can collect the remaining 5 0z coins not yet released. Based on some of the comments it seems more investors and bankers are influencing (trying to) precious metals to their advantage while the rest of us have to bear the burnden of their greed.

7. Anonymous says

Silver is below $40., there must be a lot of panic buying happening…

TMM

8. Anonymous says

Strike the previous comment, I meant to say panic selling, I wish there was panic buying happening.

TMM

9. Anonymous says

The buying will occur soon enough. @ 35. or lower I will buy.
    I hope Gold falls a little more. I really want that Liberty Subset Michael has posted. I missed the boat when the first 3 coins came out.

10. Anonymous says

Not sold out. The ordering information moved from the main page to the ATB Hot Springs page.

11. Anonymous says

"Michael and Grandpa, the next President-Vice President" !
    + 1 where do I vote ?

12. Anonymous says

Sad to say, GP is off base. 27K for a coin with this high of an issue price is NOT a low mintage. Many silver dollars, with a much lower issue price, have a lower mintage. With the price of silver tumbling FINALLY, you can pick these up for less than issue price in one year, I'm betting. But I still won't want one then — too big and heavy.

I agree with a previous poster that like th FS golds, this issue with the excitement will be one of the highest mintages, and the whole series will peter out.

You will be glad you passed on this, or regret that you have it once you do. At least, if you are a COIN collector — while this is technically a coin, it seems a lot more like a giant medal.

13. Anonymous says

Those 5 ounce coins are ugly. I suggest the Canadian series of silver Dinosaur coins for investment with special technology to age the coins.

14. Anonymous says

To:You will be glad you passed on this, or regret that you have it once you do.

Please don't tell ME how I will feel!!

15. Anonymous says

2:20…could you give some examples of silver dollars with mintages under 27,000

16. Anonymous says

Who is saying that the ATB are like silver dollars? These ATBs were not meant for general circulation, so a comparison with silver dollars is like comparing apples with oranges.

17. Anonymous says

Everyone needs to just cancel their 2010-P HS ATB coin order, the quicker the better.

These coins are nothing buT scrap metal.

It is the worst coin of all times.

CANCEL QUICKLY! DON'T BUY! SILVER IS GOING TO $2/POUND NEXT WEEK! RUN! GET TO THE CHOPPA! THIS IS AHNOLD, GET DOWN!

18. Anonymous says

Ok.. so their not silver dollars. Compare them to other 5 oz coins… Maybe I'm ignorant.. but I don't think there is any other 5 oz coins to compare.. other than the bullion series.

19. Anonymous says

I think I'm going to start collecting pennies again!
    I'm going to be pretty ticked off when my coin arrives on 5/22 and silver has dipped to $30 an ounce. I think the mint should issue gift cards or credits based on the ship date vs. spot price for that same day.They could put it right in the box with the coin!
    Food for thought….

20. Anonymous says

I forgot to say that silver ain't rare. And $50 per ounce is way overpriced. In fact, $20 is over priced.

Do what you want. But being an old timer and having lived through the Hunt Brothers fiasco, I know a bubble when I see one.

Now what are all those flippers who tried to hoard silver going to do with their stashes?

LOL! POP! LOL!

21. Anonymous says

Is anyone else having trouble signing in and out of the US mint website? I don't know if the problem is the website or my computer.

CG

22. MFN Holder says

If you watched the trend for Silver and Gold for the past three years this current trend is a correction. Which needed to happen now and not later. Silver will bottom out and stay around 35.00 and gold will drop until it reaches around 1250. They will be spikes and drops but at the end of 2011 these will be the prices.

23. Anonymous says

@ 3:32 I had no problem signing into the US Mint website at 5:30…

To the POP POP silver individuals and those cancelling Hot Springs' 5ounce orders…While the fast drop in silver may be disconcerting, the fundamentals have not changed. Central banks are still flooding the economy with money. Prices for commodities (wheat, gas, corn, etc.) are on the rise which translates to paying higher prices at the pump and the grocery store. While corporate profits are up, the average individual may not be better of. Unemployment is still around roughly 9%. Silver is still an attractive option to protect wealth. I welcome this drop in silver and plan to buy more if it continues to drop. Furthermore, lower silver prices can lead to higher mintages. Thus, the 27 K mintage of hot springs (and other 2010s) may be the smallest of the series. In addition, collectors purchase coins that they like and generally hold on to those coins. In 10 years, the silver value alone in the hot springs P should be worth more than $279.95.

24. Silver Buyer says

Very Interesting comment from MFN Holder. I will add my thoughts to the comment:
    The Markets have a history of making corrections to a steady predictable price. The ratio of Gold to Silver fell down to 41.2 on Friday’s trading which is the start of the correction between Gold and Silver.
    Current momentum in silver is forcing the Gold/Silver Ratio below major support at 46.00. Gold to silver ratio is falling as the silver price rises faster than gold, the ratio of gold prices to silver and next support at the 2006 low of 44.00 followed by 1998 low of 39.00.
    This implies a gold price declining to the level of $1320 Oz by the end of year, whereas silver price at $42 oz.

25. Heck Yeah says

I hoipe evrybody cancels their order. Don't worry mint, I will be there to pick up the Dumba** slack!!

26. Anonymous says

Yellowstone 5 oz available 5/17.

Sell-out of Hot Springs prior to this. 27k mintage for both.

These products will command premiums even if silver falls more.

27. Anonymous says

Maybe not many commem S$ under 27K, but Robinson, Leif Ericson, NCS, Police, and 95-96 Olympics are close if not less than that. You could get a nice conventional silver dollar with a low mintage for the issue price here. I am too old to start this kind of expensive new series.

It will be interesting to see what happens, but these will never be for me. So cumbersome! The price really will track spot price for all of these over time, I predict.

28. Anonymous says

With silver below $40, I canceled my order. I will not be the "biggest sucker" or a "bag holder".

29. Rich G. says

Just got an e-mail from APMEX confirming my 2010 ATB 5 oz. set has shipped! I'm happy to have scored a PCGS graded set, especially below spot.

30. Anonymous says

Has anyone received their 5oz ATB set from the CNT phone ordering marathon a few weeks ago?

Mine allegedly arrived at the post office in Mass. last week only to apparently disappear as the tracking information was never updated once. The USPS has opened an "investigation" to see if they can find out what happened at the office that supposedly accepted the package. I am not expecting anything except bad news.

31. Anonymous says

CNT arrived on Friday for me.
    Dillon Gage has not arrived yet even though I wired money on 4/11.

Anyone get DG ATBs that wired money in that time frame?

I'm excited about the numismatic version of Hot Springs wherever spot happens to be today.

32. Anonymous says

My Hot Springs coins arrived today. I just ordered last Thursdau morning. They sent me the 3 I ordered under my name and 3 other fake names. THey are beautiful!

33. Anonymous says

A guy on Ebay has one in hand with pics to prove it! They HAVE begun shipping. I doubt you got three under one name/address + 3 more. That's almost $1800 in coins, BS…..
    I think I will just follow through on my order and have a look at this monster first, then decide….

34. Anonymous says

My order is still on hold, but "reserved" for me…
    I really hope it's sold out before they raise the one per limit or I'm pushing off this overpriced anchor….

35. Anonymous says

"Yellowstone 5 oz available 5/17."

Where did you get this date???It's not in the Mint's schedule as of today.

36. Anonymous says

Silver spot down to $39. This is really a poorly executed program.
    opening orders on the highest upswing in years.They need a better system with real time pricing like the stock market.

37. Anonymous says

No date for Yellowstone since the fate of the whole series rides on initial response to this first release. Thus far it doesn't bode well for the rest of the sites even reaching fruition. This coin is going to be a real rare bird and a symbol of how bad the economy was in '11. Snap one up and tuck it away.

38. Anonymous says

Yellowstone available 5/17.

Sell out of Hot Springs will be before this.

Confirmed by USMint

39. Anonymous says

Still no sellout after 1 week.
    I 've decided to cancel my order before it's too late

40. Anonymous says

I doubt this happened. Post some pics.

41. Anonymous says

My CNT ATB 5 oz coins came today…very pleased nicest set I have gotten so far..came in airtites and $6 in silver coins was barber halves…some very worn but oh well better than paying sales tax!

42. Anonymous says

"Still no sellout after 1 week.
    I 've decided to cancel my order before it's too late"

Who care's?!!
    Please go away !!

43. Rich G. says

Too late for what??? You've got a week to inspect the coins from the Mint before sending them back. It's only $5 to ship them back. Geez, some of these posts are just pathetic. People write like they're investing their total life's savings with no alternatives!!

44. Anonymous says

I might cancel and buy a 1-10 ounce gold for 200. Seems like a much safer bet and a nicer piece overall…

45. Anonymous says

Silver currently trading at $35.30. The hot springs P silver value is now worth $176.50. This is a markup over bullion value of roughly 37%. Could this be leading to several cancellations? I expect it is. I, however, am not cancelling my order because I bought the coin for the numismatic value (low mintage). Just curious what everyone else thinks….

46. Anonymous says

Nice ,opened up my email and guess what ? My Mint order for the Hot Springs 5 oz. SHIPPED TODAY.. They are on top of this one I think .Can't wait to see the difference between it and the bullion version.

47. victory says

I do believe that silver will be 50 by next year and well worth the price of the coin for numismatics. This is price manipulation with the CME and uping margins by insane amounts. they can only do this for so long. go long and your fine,

48. Jesse says

I too bought the Hot Springs ATB unc coin for the numismatic value not the silver content. Yes, it is a bummer to be paying a significant premium over melt but ultimately if the coin is a winner the value of the metal content is ancillary. Case and point the 2009 UHR gold coin, which is selling for over $1000 over its melt value. Granted, the UHR is a beautiful coin which is a major driver for this premium in price, but I would be not be too hasty in cancelling my order for a coin solely based on a drop metal spot price. It is debatable whether or not the unc Hot Springs coin will generate such interest but I am encouraged by the mintage of 27,000 and the uniqueness of the product.

49. Anonymous says

My coin shows shipped! UPS overnight, too. Looks like it's too late to cancel now,LOL!

50. Anonymous says

I really never cared much for bullion. Proof and collectable coins are so much more beautiful and generally go up in value over time. Bullion on the otherhand generally goes for somewhere around melt value; Blah.

However, that said I am not worried about the bullion ATB coins going down in value because they are both beautiful and rare. A win win; Move over Charlie I am a winner too.

I am so glad that my Dog and Cat each got a set too.

Lets hear it for those that jumped ship. The tranfer of weath is well on its way.

51. Anonymous says

No one should be cancelling their orders because of the price drop. I have not seen many people selling any metals, only buying. The price drop is based on trading paper, physical metal is in demand like never before. Prints are printing fiat money not just in the US but all over the world (US is actualy is one of the places doesn't print as much as others do), make no mistake about it. metals will continue to be valuable and when you also have a rare collectible, just can't loose.

52. Anonymous says

Just received my 2010 P Hot Springs , I gotta say its a good looking coin , finish looks like silver eagle finish , nice and satiny.

53. Anonymous says

They are shipping from lexington KY UPS overnight. Everyone's getting the free shipping upgrade too.You MUST sign for the box, or no coin!

54. Anonymous says

"Finally sold out took forever."

They are still taking orders.I don't see a sell out yet.

55. Anonymous says

Have my coin in hand! It has a fine matte finish almost like it's bead blasted. Coin arrived in perfect condition, BUT the capsule had a nice 1 inch scratch on the front (Wash.) side. Kinda annoying, but not bad enough to toss it back.It's in the box REAL tight and tough to pry out. The coin is real heavy, unlike any other I've hoisted in the past. Definitly a keeper and a real conversation starter!

56. Anonymous says

I love my coin, but it would have been even more impressive as a proof release.

57. Tony says

I don't know why my order was canceled.
    The Mint email said :
    Greetings from the United States Mint.
    The following order has been cancelled either at your
    request or because we were unable to process it. We invite
    you to resubmit the order via our website at
    http://www.usmint.gov and click on Product Catalog.
    I did not cancel it. It's the Mint screw up.
    I went back to the site and reordered. Definitely not sold out.

58. Anonymous says

I wanted these coins in a 1 oz. proof version but as Mick Jagger says "You can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need."

59. Anonymous says

Here is the bottom line. There can only a possible 33k full sets, ever. There will most likley be very few. Indeed you will need the first coin or you are out at first base.

I tell you this: the UHR took a year befire most people found out what they missed. Now they are paying big to get in the game.

If you cancelled your order, you belong on the bench.

60. Anonymous says

Tony: If you shared your order number online, someone could have cancelled it on you. There may also be a problem with your credit card. I would suggest you call them right away and find out what happened.

61. Anonymous says

Got my coin yesterday. It looks like something that the Franklin Mint would produced. It is just a giant quarter.

Won't be ordering anymore.

62. Anonymous says

I wish it had a reeded edge too. It's stamped on the side .999 fine silver 5.0 oz.
    It kinda looks like it was spray painted with silver paint. Does'nt really look like real silver metal.Are these actually struck, or are they cast?

63. Anonymous says

2010 P ATB Hot Springs 5 ounce silver will eventually be a sleeper hit. Why?

1. First 5 ounce silver ATB collector issue (including a unique minting process)
    2. Lower mintage than bullion issue
    3. Released right before silver corrected causing many to cancel their orders within the first few days
    4. Dealers will not have any quantity to sell which will drive up value
    5. The collector versions are not mandated by law and could be discontinued after this year

64. Anonymous says

does'nt matter how many cancelled orders, it will all be scooped up by the others. I do wish it would sell out already….
    I also wish it was proof, then it would really stand out. The basin on the fountain looks like Homer Simpsons butt!
    THe finish is unspectacular, like a spray can job…

65. Anonymous says

The limit will be lifeted on 5/9, then the dealers will swoop in making the coin worthless and there will be a GLUT of these overpriced anchors…
    I doubt this series will get past the first 5 coins, it's just too akward a coin to store…

66. Anonymous says

I hear lots of Indians and Chinese ordered these so they will be in Asia.

67. Anonymous says

Transfer of American wealth.
    Say good-bye to #1.

1. China, 2. India 3.Brazil 4. US

It's been a great ride.

68. Anonymous says

USA is and always will be #1!

Silver is goin up again and the ATB numismatic coin will be a hit once the "sold out" sign goes on display THIS WEEK!

69. Anonymous says

USA is No.1 in economic purchasing power. One of the reasons why we have so much debt. But as far as growth is concerned, there is no comparison with the Asian countries. Those who have been there know what I am talking about. You go back to the same place in a couple of years, you'll have trouble recognizing the place because of so many changes and new buildings. BTW, it's true, they love and are buying American gold coins.

70. Anonymous says

Silver is on its way back up this morning. Even though UBL is gone, people now remembering that economy is still poor. Glad I did not cancel the Hot Springs ATB! Have fun trying to get one of these now. Not shipping until end of May….sounds like wait list to me.

71. Anonymous says

72. Anonymous says

73. Anonymous says

Notice there's no release date for the next one? This may be it. This is the worst time to embark on such a lofty program with 9 unemployment.

74. Anonymous says

@8:34AM; great article, but they are coming out too fast with these! I havn't even even gotten the CC bill for the Hot Springs! Slow it down please, mint..

75. Tony says

Finally "Yellowstone" is on sale 05/17. Hopefully the Mint website is not going to be overwhelmed this time. This maybe one of the most popular in the series.

76. Anonymous says

"i'm not too concerned about sell-out. if they made 300K of them, i would still buy one. first of its kind, very unique – 20 years from now will be worth a lot. of course, 20 years from now a gallon of milk will cost 300K."

LMAO about milk

77. Anonymous says

Just got my Hot Springs ATB 5 oz silver "coin" from the mint.

It's a hockey puck.

I think the mintages on this series are going to go way, way down.

78. Anonymous says

My ATB HOT SPRINGS (NP1) 5oz coin delivered today. Why do I feel like I bought very expensive foil-covered chocolate candy?