United States Mint 2010 Bullion Sales

With another year behind us, it’s a good time to revisit the annual sales figures for the United States Mint’s bullion coin programs.

The American Silver Eagles set a new annual record, while Gold Eagles sold about 14% less than the prior year. The American Gold Buffalo, which was only available for five months, was up slightly from the prior year.

The following tables will present the annual sales figures for US Mint bullion coins by product measured in troy ounces. Note, these are not mintage figures, but reflect the total ounces sold during the calendar year without regards to date.

American Gold Eagle Bullion Sales (ounces)
Year Ounces
2006 261,000
2007 198,500
2008 860,500
2009 1,425,000
2010 1,220,500
Total 17,503,000

During 2010, the US Mint recorded sales of 1,220,500 ounces of gold through the American Gold Eagle bullion coins. Sales consisted of 1,143,000 one ounce coins, 46,000 one-half ounce coins, 62,000 one-quarter ounce coins, and 390,000 one-tenth ounce coins.

The highest monthly sales total occurred in July when 152,000 ounces were sold. The lowest monthly sales occurred in December when 60,000 ounces were sold.

Sales of the 22 karat Gold Eagle bullion coins reached their annual peak back in 1999, when uncertainty about Y2K spurred demand for gold. During the course of the last three years, gold bullion coins were sometimes subject to rationing, meaning that recent annual sales may not reflect total demand.

American Silver Eagle Bullion Sales (ounces)
Year Ounces
2006 10,021,000
2007 9,887,000
2008 19,583,500
2009 28,766,500
2010 34,662,500
Total 241,277,000

American Silver Eagle bullion sales achieved a new record for annual sales with 34,662,500 of the one ounce coins sold. This amount represents more than three times the average annual sales level, and exceeds the total sales for the first five years of the program.

Silver Eagles also achieved record monthly sales of 4,260,000 ounces during November 2010. The prior record took place back in December 1986.

American Gold Buffalo Bullion Sales (ounces)
Year Ounces
2006 323,000
2007 167,500
2008 172,000
2009 200,000
2010 209,000
Total 1,071,500

The 24 karat American Gold Buffalo bullion coins were only available for sale this year from April 29, 2010 to the end of September 2010. This was a longer period of availability than 2009, when the coins were offered for less than two months.

Total annual sales came in at 209,000, representing the second highest year of sales, after the 323,000 ounces sold in 2006 when the series debuted.

Coin Update News: 2011 US Mint Commemorative Coins

Comments

1. EvilFlipper says

Wahington Cont'd-
    A successful planter, he was a leader in the social elite in Virginia. From 1768 to 1775, he invited some 2000 guests to his Mount Vernon estate, mostly those he considered "people of rank." As for people not of high social status, his advice was to "treat them civilly" but "keep them at a proper distance, for they will grow upon familiarity, in proportion as you sink in authority.".[46] In 1769 he became more politically active, presenting the Virginia Assembly with legislation to ban the importation of goods from Great Britain.[47]

2. Anonymous says

" I have a simple solution to this problem. Anyone who sells coins should have a license to sell coins."

Nice summation of the anti-flipper position. Let's add regulation. Wouldn't limiting the number of dealers be the antithesis of your complaining about the limited number of APs creating a monopoly? I believe you are now talking out of both sides of your mouth.

3. Anonymous says

Actually I believe having many more APs would increase the chance for a more competitive playing field for consumers. Yes the consumer protection agency should look into this ATB scandal and there would be violations found that lead to suspensions. The dealers should be regulated to show proof of fair trade to keep the industry from becoming a run away disaster like wall street. Dealers should be checked frequently for unscrupulous coin doctoring and over pricing cash only sales to the public. Cash only sales should be eliminated by all licensed dealers. The TPGs should be forced to remove all price guides and all unfair marketing scams like fraudulent labeling. And YES people found to be selling on ebay and other venues should be audited by the IRS to see if they are paying taxes on their sales. And that is coming out of my experience dealer with this industry that is in need of change for the protection of the consumers. NOT both sides of my mouth.

4. Anonymous says

I think its kinda funny that you are so concerned about the uneducated coin buyer. I believe this "uneducated" coin buyer is really just a bunch of speculators who don't blog as much as the rest of us. I sold my house to a speculator from California during the bubble. Was I morally wrong for selling the house for market price or should I have informed the speculator that I "thought" there might be a housing bubble and that I would like to sell him the house at a much lower price so if the bubble bursts, he won't get hurt as bad? You make no sense what so ever. I think this is a simple case of jealousy of those who have obtained sets for low prices. Get a life.

5. Anonymous says

I expected a bull crap excuse like jealousy. If something had been done well ahead of the housing bubble to stop all the unscrupulous sales and outrageous over pricing. The housing bubble would have never happened.The fact that the market was being over priced caused the housing bubble. The fact that people making 50% of the required incomes were able to buy housing was also the cause of the housing failure. Now there are regulations put in place to stop these issues from reoccurring. You obviously know nothing from history concerning bubbles. And I probably blog way more then you ever will concerning these problems. So next time you make accusations you know nothing about. You should look at history and do all you can to make sure it does not repeat it self.

6. Anonymous says

Wow, we're really comparing the housing bubble now to the ATB 5 ounce silver coins?

I view anyone that makes an uneducated purchasing decision as doing the market as a whole a favor. We are putting more money in the hands of people that know how to better allocate funds to the economy as a whole. The seller is wise to sell when prices are high and will buy under appreciated goods and raise the value of them with the newfound funds. The market as a whole is better. The only loser is the uneducated buyer who has learned a painful lesson, but will hopefully become a more informed purchaser is the future.

7. Anonymous says

I really thought Michael would be on top of the ATBs and where they may be available. But, it appears that the whole numismatic industry has kept much of the availability hush hush in order to leak these out to only the few that plan to keep the prices high by cornering the market with only unscrupulous sellers. I can only hope that the investigation underway brings out the wrong doings of this series from the very start.

8. Anonymous says

to: 3:42 PM

your philosophy is the exact philosophy that will take this nation down. Your basically saying it is ok to hype up a product over it's actual value just so you can move on to the next and do it again. Oh, and by the way screw the uneducated because they will learn a valuable lesson from it.

People like you are ruining this hobby and the future of this country.

9. Anonymous says

3:56, its capitalist and entrepreneurs that built this country, if you don't believe in this that is your choice. You embellished and added your own words around hype, but even if people fall for hype/advertising that is their own free choice and if they make a bad decision based on hype they will hopefully learn from the experience. One man's hype is another's truth. There is no one decision maker on price over time, it takes a market. Economics in a capitalist society is a harsh reality sometimes.

If you prefer communism or socialism with a high degree of government controls on the marketplace, I am sure you could find a way to move to a place like that. People that want this are ruining this country and what it was built upon.

10. Anonymous says

Tell that to the people of this country who bailed out wall street and the housing market. You simply misunderstand the importance of fair market value and the ability to have competition over a market place that is not cornered and controlled much like the ATB market has been controlled. Do you really want the regulations to be handed down much like they were after the wall street bail out and the housing market crash. Because if this market manipulation continues on such things as the ATB. There will be regulations put in place to stop them. So the hype and overpricing of these ATBs are the first step that the market manipulators will cause this to happen. GET IT NOW. Stop being so greedy and put an honest price on these ATBs so everyone gets an equal opportunity to acquire one that wants one. I guess I could say this until I'm blue in the face. Because greed seems to blind all these people from seeing what it will cause.

11. Anonymous says

Personally, I bought my set at 879 from apmex, but I haven't sold it. I believe I probably should sell it because the market is willing to pay me a very good return for it, but I am also a collector and would like a complete set as I really enjoy our National Parks and have visited many of them. However, if someone wants to sell their set and someone is willing to pay 3000 for it, so be it. I am not arrogant and/or foolish enough to believe I know the "right" price at any point in time, I only know what the market tells me.

12. Anonymous says

"There is no one decision maker on price over time, it takes a market."

I totally agree when the market is not controlled by the APs who signed a contract and continue to breach that contract by not fulfilling their contractual obligations. The market was then artificially set. So what you know is only a market that had never been given a fair market value with equal competition. But, that will come in time when the regulations are set because of the greed ridden market controllers. You better sell your set sooner rather then later if you plan on being one of the ones who let greed take over their emotions over honesty and integrity.

13. Anonymous says

I agree with the hold and save collectors and judicious dealers who are in the business for the long term and have built up their collections and inventory over time. I really wonder if there is any benefit to flipping beyond the instant flourish of cash and the associated need to brag. All-in-all a short term project at best. If it comes easy it may go easier. At least with a collection you have a firm foundation and can enjoy the hobby. For example, I purchased the 32 coin Olympic set from the mint in '95-96, and it is still in my collection in the original wooden (cherry) case with that funny key in a red pouch, and the original documents and COAs. Will I part with it – yes – if I need the funds for my family. But for now the value has appreciated (with the price of Au) three or more fold, and I don't even think about it. I just like the coins and it reminds me of the highs of that Olympics Centennial, some of which were Michael Johnson powering to an unbelievable records in the 200m/400, Ali lighting the flame, Agassi's gold, and Kurt Angle's victory with a broken neck!

14. Anonymous says

to 1:50pm :

It is obvious that you and I will disagree on this topic all the way to the grave. I'm curious though…were you able to get your set from apmex….MTB….or Fidelitrade??? You blog way more than me so you would have known when they released some of their sets. You got a set right? yeeahhhhh.

15. Anonymous says

I don't think that this is the end of the hobby. People who only flip coins probably aren't true collectors. If flippers are preventing a true collector from getting a coin because they have jacked the price up, then that coin might just be out of reach. As a collector myself, there are plenty of coins that I would die to have, but they are just too darn expensive for me to buy. What makes them so expensive? Market value! No, I didn't say "fair" market value because, how can it be fair that a single lincoln cent worth 1 penny face value from 1909 with an s on it be so expensive. I guess that's just the way its always been, we're just not use to it happening with modern coins. We will never stop folks from trying to make as much profit as they can. It's silly to expect everyone to ignore what the market is doing. I've always found that most coins that I collect are the same ones that everyone else wants too. That's why I end up paying hundreds of dollars for a penny. Its the same with these pucks in my opinion. It really is simple supply and demand.

16. Anonymous says

Comparing a 1909 S VDB to a modern day commemorative and bullion at that is completely insane. The 1909 S VDBs were not at the time of release entrusted to gougers who made sure only the rich would get them and control there distribution and market prices. To dismiss this control as "out of reach" is just uneducated and not following what happened from the beginning of the release to present day. At least in 1909 there wasn't the amount of dishonesty that there is today. It's a shame that our hobby has resorted to such changes. "OUT OF REACH ?" LOL. What a joke.

17. Anonymous says

"It really is simple supply and demand."

I keep hearing this bogus claim too.

Yeah it's simple alright. Just control the supply and make the demand LOL. How pathetic is that for reversing the way true supply and demand works in a fair market condition.

18. Anonymous says

I got a set of ATB 5 oz Bullion coins for under $900. I don't know what all the fuss is about. Everyone has had an opportunity to get a cheap set. If you missed the boat then you are just not in the loop. Keep reading the blogs and when everyone starts freaking out, get in on the action. Its that simple. I'm on my second set from Fidelitrade now. Be on the lookout for Dillon Gage and Apmex. They will be selling in the next week or two. There is no artificial supply and demand here. The proof will be when the 27000 sets sell out in the first day when the US Mint releases the P version. Low supply= 60000 sets High Demand= more than 60000 buyers. Wow, thats a hard concept to grasp.

19. Anonymous says

To: 8:01 PM

I will also agree to disagree with you and forgive your insistence that you really think I have no set. That would be much easier for you to accept as a reason for my total disagreement of your position. That way you can just go away thinking that your dishonesty is ok. And you can also stop blogging because your position is looking worse with every word you type. But I must admit that it has been fun winning a debate with you. Please do try to come up with some new material though. The old worn out excuses are just much to easy to defuse.

20. Anonymous says

I don't think either of us truly set the ground rules for this "debate", but I forgive your insistence that you have won said debate. I hope that we also could agree that its completely pathetic that we are up this late talking about overpriced silver bullion. Nighty Night.

21. Anonymous says

"talking about overpriced silver bullion."

At least you admit it is over priced. I do forgive you. No reason to insist I won the debate with that admittance. Good night.

22. Anonymous says

I wonder how many people read these back and forth argument comments and simply shake their heads? 🙂

23. Anonymous says

Democracy in the making showing both sides is always entertaining.It's the side that wins that shows intelligence.

24. Michiganman says

Hello all, I am new to this blog. I cannot understand the extremes of both sides. I have been a small time collector for years and think bullion is a good mix for investments, who knows where paper money or stocks will be in 10 years. I have read most of the posts and see both sides. I think alot of collectors are both buyers and sellers. I will sometimes buy more than I need for my collection in the hopes of selling some of them off in the future, at a profit to pay for the ones I kept. I am not greedy or preying on an uneducated buyer. If I list an item on ebay and list it at $0.99 I figure the final price is the true market price. I buy on ebay as well. Unless you are a socialist or communist no one has a problem with this. America was built on capitaism. making a profit is as American as apple pie. It does not matter if you sell cars, houses, tires, or coins. We all work or own companies in the pretext of making money and yes we all wish we were making more! I do not believe in price gouging and most people I think feel the same way. We were all upset after 9-11 when gas surged $1-2 more per gallon the same day and most States sanctioned those few dealers. I use to collect more in the past but due my personal monetary condition I slowed down and now I am back to collecting. I wish I were in on the 5 ounce ATB but I was not in line and getting them now is not feasible, the dealers are asking a pretty mark up. I will be watching the mint closely to see when they will offer them and I think if you are not on top of it they will be sold out in a blink of an eye. You can never perdict which ones will take off in price other than noting the mint quantity and time of sale. I do not care for the fact and I am sure most of you also do not care that the mint sells bullion only to authorized dealers. I feel like we are offered the leftovers. I see no need for this since the mint has the ability to offer all products directly to the public. But back to the ATB I am happy with those who were able to get them at a reasonable price and the mint really does need to look into those dealers who have withheld their ATB's and are waiting to sell them later or to another "insider" or friend who can get around the mints guidelines on selling them to the public. From what I have read it appears some of the less reputable dealers are getting around the mints rules of 1 per customer and the price guide and selling them for $2-$3,000.00. The dealers the mint uses must be held to a higher standard so this does not occur. I have found a company that is offering a ATB set with a new account set up. I called and they said I was locked in for one and a account rep will call back within a week, of course since they are a gold & bullion dealer I am sure they will try to hard sell me to buy bullion from them. I might but most likely will not. Since everyone on this sit are coin collectors we can share and learn from another without the personal comments. I am by no means an angel and I do not think what people call a flipper is has that great of an influence on coin prices. I appreciate coin collecting for art, knowledge/learning as well as building a nest egg and if people "flip" coins it is there right and nothing can be done to stop this and there is absolutly nothing wrong with making money legally. one of the posters made a somewhat sarcastic comment to another about telling ther kids to sell there coins at 1950 prices, he was right who would do so. When we collect coins we would not buy them if we thought they would be less in the future and added the pleasure of coin collecting is the added benifit that they will build in value as time goes by. Anyway I have typed more now than I have in the last week. any comments are welcome positive as well as negative as we never stop learning. Good night all!

25. Anonymous says

To 11:52 pm "I have found a company that is offering a ATB set with a new account set up. I called and they said I was locked in for one…"

" Since everyone on this site are coin collectors we can share and learn from another without the personal comments."

Well, aren't you forgetting to share something with us ?
    Didn't think so.