United States Mint 2011 Annual Sets

In response to a recent inquiry, the United States Mint has indicated that sales of the core 2011 annual sets will conclude at the end of December. As such, I wanted to take a post to revisit each offering and compare sales levels to the prior year.

The 2011 Proof Set went on sale January 11, 2011. This release date was more than six months earlier than the prior year. The release also took place prior to the release of the component proof sets which contained only the Presidential Dollars or America the Beautiful Quarters. If sales extend through the end of December, the 2011 Proof Sets will have remained available for sale for nearly two years.

Despite the longer period of availability, sales look like they will end up around the same level as the 2010 Proof Set, which had final sales of 1,103,950 units. As of the most recent sales report, the 2011 Proof Set has reached sales of 1,088,074.

The 2011 Silver Proof Set went on sale January 25, 2011. Once again, this was much earlier than the prior year and the release of the full annual set took place before the component set including only the silver quarters.

Each 2011 Silver Proof Set includes fourteen coins, with the dime, half dollar, and five quarters struck in 90% silver. This yields net silver content of 1.33823 troy ounces within each set, plus additional base metal coins with a face value of $5.06. For the duration of the offering, the sets have been priced at $67.95 each. On a few occasions when the market price of silver rose sharply, sales were suspended, but then resumed when the silver price fell.

The availability period has once again been longer than the prior year, but sales look like they will end up around the same place. The 2010 Silver Proof Set ended with final sales of 585,414 units. The 2011-dated set has reached sales of 568,097 as of the most recent report.

The 2011 Uncirculated Coin Set went on sale February 8, 2011. Each set included 28 coins struck at the Philadelphia and Denver Mint. This year represented the return to brilliant uncirculated finish, as opposed to the satin finish that had been used for the set from 2005 to 2010. Importantly, many collectors (and the major grading services) have considered satin finish coins to be distinct issues from the regular circulation strikes. However, the new brilliant finish is not considered to be a distinct issue from the regular circulation strikes.

Despite the longer period of availability compared to the prior year set, final sales are likely to end up lower. The 2010 Uncirculated Coin Set had final sales of 583,912. The 2011-dated set has reached sales of 528,865 as of the most recent sales report. This will establish another recent mintage low for the annual set, representing the lowest figure since 1962.

The low sales for the 2011 annual sets may not carry much significance since the 2012-dated sets are trending even lower. Year over year comparisons show the 2012 Proof Set and 2012 Silver Proof Set 34% lower and the 2012 Uncirculated Coin Set about 15% lower.

Comments

1. merryxmasmrscrooge says

These sales levels are probably due to several factors. First, the not so great state of our economy (in most states), so sales per month were lower, hence, the Mint’s strategy of selling the sets for a longer period of time. Second, the Mint is offering many more products that in the past. For example, long time ago, they offered only clad proof and sets. This was simpler. Now there are so many products it’s hard to keep track, people forget about the older coins, but I like all the products now.

2. Larry says

I have given up on the silver proof sets and now just buy the silver quarter sets. At $42.00 seems more bang for the buck. The silver value is $29.00 at todays silver price. What would be really nice is if they made a set with the silver quarters, dime and half dollar. I really don’t want any of the clad coins.
    Do you have any of the figures for just the silver quarter sets?

3. guama says

The clad sets of years past have really declined in value. I only buy them because I have the complete set. The after market prices are not worth their value

4. Mercury says

Great minds think alike Larry. I too have given up on the purchase of on the silver proof sets. Way to much repetition for my budget. But I still do buy the silver proof quarter sets, and like you, I think it would be nice if they made a partial silver coin set to be sold separate from that of the silver proof sets. Who knows, 2013 is coming, we can only but hope.

5. simon says

Larry and Hg : Many of the dealers break apart the sets and sell the Ag units as singles. This is another option if you care only about the silver offerings. This format is great for albums.

6. merryxmasmrscrooge says

On the other hand, I like the clad proof sets. They are a cheaper way to get all the type coins for that year in shining proof and see the cool new dates.

7. William says

As a kid, living in Boston, I rarely would find any “s” minted coins in my pocket change. Today, I purchase sets of the “s” minted coins to make up for my earlier frustrations from my lost childhood of the fifties.

I would like to collect new “Indian head” coins too. Perhaps the mint should consider producing a new denomination “five dollar” copper piece. But, please keep them the same size as a penny. Our present dollar coins are just too heavy for pocket change.

Now living in Arizona the “Copper State”.

8. SuperDave says

I think the mint has gone out of their way to try to cut out the secondary market by making all of their products overpriced….. I have pretty much given up on keeping my proof set run from 1954 to current because it’s too darn expensive!!
    I would rather buy an old silver proof set than a current proof set at their current prices!! ~Dave

9. hi ho silver says

The last clad proof set I purchased was a 2009. The only reason I got it was for the 90% copper in the cents.

10. DNA says

I have the Silver Proof Sets from 1992 to 2012, and the Silver Quarter Sets from 2004 to 2012. The only post-’91 Clad Set I have is the 2009, because I wanted to have a set of the 95% copper Proof Cents before the 2009 Silver Set came out months later.

11. CB says

If Satin Finish coins from 2005-2010 Mint Sets are counted as distinct issues, then the 2010 and 2010-D Satin Finish cents are the keys to the Lincoln shield cent series, with mintages of 584k each – barely more than the 1909-S VDB.

12. Natatack says

CB
    There was a drive a few years back to include the satin finished coins in the Red book, don’t know if that’s still going on.