United States Mint 2015 Birth Set & Happy Birthday Coin Set

Tomorrow, January 13, 2015 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin sales for their first two special occasion sets. While these sets are intended as gifts, they do represent the first appearance for many 2015-dated coins providing some significance for collectors.

2015 Birth Set

The 2015 Birth Set is intended as a gift idea to commemorate a birth in 2015. Each set includes the following five proof coins struck at the San Francisco Mint and bearing the “S” mint mark:

• 2015-S Proof Lincoln Cent
  • 2015-S Proof Jefferson Nickel
  • 2015-S Proof Roosevelt Dime
  • 2015-S Proof Homestead Monument of America Quarter
  • 2015-S Proof Kennedy Half Dollar

Along with the Happy Birthday Set, these products will represent the first appearance of the 2015-dated proof cent, nickel, dime, and half dollar. These coins will make their more traditional appearance within the annual proof set scheduled for release in March.

By itself, the Birth Set will represent the first release of the 2015-S Proof Homestead Quarter. The quarter will subsequently be released within the 2015 America the Beautiful Quarters Proof Set on February 3.

The five coins of the 2015 Birth Set are packaged in an illustrated folder with space to record the baby’s date of birth, length, weight, a 3×5 frame for the baby’s photo, and space for a personalized message. A certificate of authenticity is located on the back of the folder, along with the coin specifications.

Each set is priced at $19.95 with no stated product or household ordering limits.

The 2013 Birth Set and 2014 Birth Sets still remain available for sale and have reached sales of 39,470 and 29,197, respectively.

2015 Happy Birthday Set

The 2015 Happy Birthday Coin Set is intended as a gift to mark a birthday. Each set includes the following five proof coins struck at the San Francisco Mint and bearing the “S” mint mark:

• 2015-S Proof Lincoln Cent
  • 2015-S Proof Jefferson Nickel
  • 2015-S Proof Roosevelt Dime
  • 2015-S Proof Saratoga National Historical Park Quarter
  • 2015-S Proof Kennedy Half Dollar

As mentioned, along with the Birth Set this represents the first appearance of the 2015-dated proof cent, nickel, dime, and half dollar. By itself, this set represents the first release of the 2015-S Proof Saratoga Quarter.

The five coins of the 2015 Happy Birthday Set are packaged in a folder illustrated with balloons and gift boxes. There is space in the folder to include a personalized message. The certificate of authenticity and the coin specifications are included on the back of the folder.

Each set is priced at $19.95. There are no stated product or household ordering limits.

The 2013 Happy Birthday Coin Set and 2014 Happy Birthday Coin Set still remain available for sale at the Mint. The latest sales are 10,959 and 11,431, respectively.

Comments

1. Ralph says

I still don’t understand why they release all the proof coins before the proof set’ s. Makes for some happy sellers on ebay, that’s about it!

2. Billy the Kid says

It is time to buy a gold spouse coin before the price of gold moves up?

I purchased one today… let’s see what the mint does on Wednesday.

I collect all of the Sacagawea/Native American dollars (except for the varieties). It’s an awesome series to collect if you appreciate the contributions and culture of Native Americans.

Sadly, the series will end next year (2016) unless Congress passes a law to extend the program. I wonder what the US Mint will do next with the end of this series, the Presidential dollar series, and the First Spouse series….?

4. NC_Stacker says

@Hidalgo the next series will be the Presidential Accomplishment Coins. Each president will have coins struck listing the great work they done for this country, while a few presidents will have just blank planchets with only their name, mint mark, and year on the coins edge.

5. Boz says

Do not forget the presidential dog set suggested a few threads ago. My personal fav would be great ships of the navy such as aircraft carriers and battle wagons. Also great past and present military aircraft such as the f4 phantom and A10 warthog.

6. mattarch says

How about a First Mistress set for the dollars? From Sally Fairfax to Monica Lewinsky are some interesting historical figures.

7. Pool Shark says

Ralph,

I suspect the reason they release the Happy Birthday Sets first, is so that they can be presented to newborns throughout the year at the time of their birth.

8. Tinto says

@Larry

That’s a nice design, and that made me look at prior years’ designs. I think the Mint made a good decision by having a different design for each year starting with 2009. I think maybe I should start a Sac collection just a straightforward one .. as I cut back on the PM stuff … thank goodness the Platinum preamble series is done with ….

9. MikeinPA says

How about a series celebrating past word fairs, seems like there could be some
    interesting themes, went to the New York fair when i was a kid, ah the good old days

10. GoldFishin says

@KCSO- I like both of those sellers. V is a great seller! Too bad they stayed out of the issue…I bet the are both kicking themselves, just like I am. Like you stated before, the price increase made it very risky. Somebody out there had a bulk submission of 100 regular flag label graded, I saw them hit the pop numbers and zero have made their way to Ebay yet. Those will be my only hope of getting something reasonable. Such is life with silver coins….. 😉 Thanks for checking!

11. The Real "Cool" Dave says

The Real “Cool” Dave says

January 12, 2015 at 10:04 pm

@Dustyroads says, January 12, 2015 at 11:21 am
    “Viruses and malicious software are only becoming more prevalent while tools to combat them are at a minimum. I try to do everything right, but I’m afraid that nagging voice in the back of my mind warning me will never end. This is the world we now live in…”

Oh no, I was just annoyed at the whole virus thing, it might have (my annoyed thing) came across in my post (no worries). I would not say my knowledge is vast, though — LOL!

I did however, at the time, think exactly what you posted above, though. 🙂

12. Jerry Diekmann says

Larry & Rallph – I too like the Native American coins – they all seem to be well done and attractive, but I wish the Mint would put the date back on the obverse of the coin. You have to have the eyes of an eagle (which I no longer have, even with classes) to see the dates on the edges of the coins. Big mistake by the Mint, IMO. I believe this series, like the Presidents, is due to end in 2016. I would like to see more of the Native Americans coins in the future – no more presidents, thank you.

13. Jerry Diekmann says

NC Stacker – well said, but what about those Presidents who left the country in worse shape than it was when they came into it? There were a few of them over the years, represented in the 19th, 20th, and 21st cenuriesw. Maybe just mint a washer in aluminum; the aluminum for them being a lightweight as far as leading the country, and the hole – that’s easy – for the hole they left this country in during their term of office.

14. Jerry Diekmann says

mattarch – that would be a series that we definitely don’t need – it could be too large a series anyway. To my knowledge, I don’t believe there is any proof that george Washington and Sally Fairfax were lovers – they were admirers of each other, yes, but the one doesn’t necessarily always mean the other.

15. Jerry Diekmann says

Hawkster – That wasn’t Mike passing by the Unisphere in 1964-65 you saw ; He was the guy you saw passing by the Trylon and Perisphere at the first NY World’s Fair in 1939-40! Incidentally, that fair was held in honor of the bicentennial of the George Washington’s inauguration as the first President of the USA (if I had a nickel for every piece of trivia I know, I would be a millionaire – maybe).

1939 must have been a very spooky time for those young people and adults who lived during those times. The Nazi threat was becoming more and more sinister every day, and I think most people thought that another “Great War” might break out very soon, as it did on September 1, 1939. The world will never be, and can never be, the same after all that happened during that war. The lives lost, the cities destroyed, and the lost hopes and dreams of so many people, can never be brought back.

I was hoping for a lettered edge capped bust just for the cool factor and low and behold after checking, I wish I had gotten the new reeded edge because that was the year it came to be the norm for pur coinage, 1836 and there were only about 1200 made that year versus over 6 million of the other variety. Such is life. I would of had to part with a whole lot more fiat for the first year reeded edge variety.

17. The Real "Cool" Dave says

Guess that puts another day into the books. Time to sign off now with the National Anthem and then either a long (TV) “beeeeeeeeeeeeee” sound or white noise . . . then disembodied voices talking in that noise.

Good Night all !

Mr. “Cool” Dave 🙂

18. Sith says

@pool shark – I was wondering the same thing. I heard they can not mint any more coins once their year is up, but they can still sell coins already minted. Based on that I would say those are final mint ages, but the mint is good about declaring sell outs so your guess is as good as mine. It also can be due to laziness and they will be updated once the 2015 ASE sales start to show up.

19. Ikaika says

@ thePhelps

Can you tell us more about the Zombucks case? Cardboard, velvet or mixed? Thanks!

Ikaika… heavy cardboard with velvet liner. Box is around 14″ x 12″ with openings for 20 coins. Considering they include the 20 airtites – I am happy with the price since I bought it with my order of coins to lessen the shipping costs.

Jerry D.,
    Now you’re really going back! The ’39 WF and the ’64-65 WF were both held on the same grounds in Flushing Meadows, NY. It’s amazing that 50 years has gone by since the last one.
    Anyone who went to the ’64-65 Fair has to remember eating a Belgian Waffle or two. This Fair was not sanctioned by the international fair organization and, therefore, most foreign countries were not represented. It seems that New York master planner and Fair chairman, Robert Moses, ticked off most counties by demanding huge fees for the rights to erect their pavilions. The countries then backed out.

Despite having zero interest in the Birth Set or Happy Birthday set myself, I’ve ended up buying the 2013 Birth set and the 2014 Birth set both as gifts for my friends. I wish they were doing the silver proofs and not just regular proofs, though.

23. Blair J Tobler says

There seems to be some confusion about the ending of the Native American dollar. According to the Mint’s website:
    “During the years of the current program that correspond with the Presidential $1 Coin Program, Native American $1 Coins will be issued, to the extent possible, in the chronological order in which the Native Americans depicted lived or the events recognized occurred.

Following the conclusion of the Presidential $1 Coin Program, the Native American $1 Coins will be issued in any order determined to be appropriate after consultation with the U.S. Senate Committee on Indian Affairs, the Congressional Native American Caucus of the U.S. House of Representatives, National Congress of American Indians, and after public review by the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee.”

Here’s the link to the page:

24. Tinto says

@Pool Shark

Boy, and the Mint’s own website states

” •Sales totals by month are updated every weekday by 5 p.m. ET.”

I’d say somebodies in the Mint have been seriously lax in updating their data … discipline seems lax …. everyone seems to be doing what they want … when they want … but still getting a fat salary I reckon.

25. JBK says

Re: Sacs – sounds like we have afew new collectors taking notice of the series – could this be a trend? Bodes well for the 50,000 EU coins. Also, I believe (but might be wrong) that the NA seies ends in 2016 but the normal Sac reverse returns after that. Agree that the date belongs on the obv. That is a weird empty space they left when they moved it to the edge.

Just opened the last order I made for 2014 (on12/31) which included another set of HOF half dollars. I know that clad gets no respect, but those are great looking coins – especially the unc. version, which has an interesting color and luster not normally found on clad coins.

26. JBK says

Incidentally, I recently looked on the BHOF website and did not see the HOF coins for sale in their store. It is odd that they would not have put in a large order for these before the end of the year. They would have only been benefitting themselves even if they only sold them at cost, and if they sold them for a higher price, they would have essentially been getting paid twice.

When the program started everyone didmissed the high 750,000 mintage limit for the clads, but much less than that were sold. It will be interesting to see what happens to the value long-term.

27. KEITHSTER says

? On them Sac’s anyone still on backorder from the 10th ? I know they said some order’s from the 10th went out early by mistake so they must be making sure the rest don’t? But must be the slow boat thing or the can’t find where they left the rest of those $bills? But when they do ship will have some from the start middle and end so may be able to see the diff. If I peek havn’t yet Well Good Luck All:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>

I actually have 1 order for the C&C still on backorder from the 14th. I don’t expect to get it … but we will see.

29. jeff says

Market crash coming get out up 280 this morning now down 88 not good, similarities last year at this time. Sell now get back in later market was up 10% last year.

30. Dave SW FL says

Mining stocks showing definite weakness with silver up substantially! Does not bode well. Agree with Jeff

31. albumaccumulator says

This crap is the reason the proof cent & nickel, & dime are worth squat! They are included in these types of sets, the regular proof set and the cent & nickel are also in the silver proof set. Just too many of these are being produced!

jeff says
    JANUARY 13, 2015 AT 1:58 PM

And what may I ask does this have to do with the US Mint? Jus sayin…There are a ton of investor blogs out there…

dang, you know when you were a kid and you saw that first “whatever” and your eyes lit up? That is the feeling I get staring at this classic half dollar. I just can’t stop looking at it…To me, that twinkle in my eye and smile on my face is why we do this, nothing else matters at this point and time…

34. KEITHSTER says

My order from the 4th with 10 Sac’s came in a while ago so they must have ran out of packaging shortly after that. Could not order more after that because of the limit being put on but did talk ma in to 5 on the 10th! Hope it’s still frist in last out on these and we all get zebra’s Good Luck To All Of Us All Year All:>:>:>:>:>

35. Dave SW FL says

FM

Sorry but shopping at the mint this time of the year is like shopping at Big Lots….lots of last year and prior product. B O R I N G….. And if you wait long enough, last year’s product that we couldn’t get together on time MIGHT be available SOMETIME.

On the other hand, market movement (especially miners) have an effect on the price we pay, especially for bullion type coinage.

I got 3 spanking new Glades ATB quarters in change today at a Target on Eastern Long Island. Obviously, the cashier must have just opened a roll consisting of entirely Glades into her cash drawer. Interestingly, two of them apparently came from the same die, as there was the same dull area on the left side of the obverse. It seems that department stores such as Target are good places to get these coins in basically uncirculated condition.

37. Keep Calm & Stack On says

FM – when Sunshine in CT departed the pattern, it left a void…, you don’t want to be the one ‘perceived’ as filling that void brother.., jus say’n 😉

gold coins, circus coins, baby pandas and ice cream,,,

38. cagcrisp says

@Keep Calm & Stack On, You Wanna go an Over/Under on how many times I’ve tried to Download the Numbers Today?

39. Ralph says

Thinking of buying a ER UNC this evening before the price increase tomorrow which seems likely.

40. Ralph says

thePhelps: I was just checking out the display box for the Zombucks. It says it holds 10 silver & 10 copper coins. Can you put 20 silver in it or does it have to be silver & copper?

Ralph… the box is 20 blank spaces… to fit whatever your heart desires. 🙂 You can put a whole roll of one Zombuck silver of your choosing in it and buy 9 more boxes and do the same. Nothing designating copper and silver in the box.

42. Jerry Diekmann says

Well, if the Sacs continue beyond 2016, I just hope the put the date back on the obverse where it belongs. In reality, and this has been said a thousand times before, the Mint should just stop minting the dollar coins as long as the BEP keeps printing $1.00 bills Why the USA can’t seem to see the folly of printing more $1.00 bills in the success of the round pound in the UK, loonie and twonie in Canada and the 1 euro and 2 euro coins is beyond me.