United States Mint awarded two top honors for Coin of the Year

2015-United-States-COTY-Award-winning-coins

(Washington)—The United States recently earned top honors in two coin-design categories at the World Money Fair in Berlin, Germany. United States Mint officials accepted two Coin of the Year (COTY) Awards on behalf of the nation. The U.S. won in the category of Best Circulating Coin for its America the Beautiful Program quarter honoring Kisatchie National Forest, and in the category of Most Inspirational Coin for its March of Dimes silver dollar commemorative coin.

“The designers, sculptors, and engravers of the Mint comprise the very best talent in the numismatic industry,” said David Motl, acting principal deputy director of the Mint. “Artists are an indispensable part of the coin-production process and the Mint congratulates them on this well-deserved recognition.”

The March of Dimes silver dollar, which celebrates the 75th anniversary of the establishment of the March of Dimes Foundation, includes a reverse that was designed and sculpted by sculptor-engraver Don Everhart, who has been with the Mint since 2004. The obverse features the profiles of President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Dr. Jonas Salk, two leaders in the fight against polio. It was designed by Paul Balan, a member of the Artistic Infusing Program (AIP) since 2010, and sculpted by Mint sculptor-engraver Michael Gaudioso, who has been with the Mint since 2009.

The America the Beautiful Program quarter honoring Kisatchie National Forest features a wild turkey in flight over bluestem grass with long-leaf pines in the background on the reverse. The design is by Susan Gamble, who was part of the AIP from 2004 until her death in 2015. Sculptor-engraver Joseph Menna, who joined the Mint in 2005, sculpted the design.

The COTY Awards recognize artistic talent among 10 design categories. A panel of international judges selects from coins issued two years prior to the year of the award. Both of the coins were issued in 2015 and are no longer available from the Mint.   ❑

Press release courtesy of the United States Mint.

Comments

1. cagcrisp says

Corresponding numbers for those that like NGC…

Jackie Robinson Gold uncirculated NGC:
    69’s – 561
    70’s – 262

NPS Gold uncirculated NGC:
    69’s – 9
    70’s – 403

2. HarryB says

The Jackie Robinson $5 Unc coin was largely a weak strike, took me several years to get a NGC MS70. Over the years I have seen several eBay auctions for a “rare” NGC MS61, and numerous MS67s&68s… I suspect most raw coins sold in capsules/OGP are crack outs….

3. earthling says

Today I got my 1917 Dan Carr Peace Dollar and 1/10 oz Gold Clark/ Gruber . These certainly aren’t US Mint products, but to me , they’re more interesting than anything the US Mint has put out, recently.

Right now, I’m going to order a 1/4 oz and 1/2 oz Clark/Gruber. These are just too cool to ignore.

Can’t say the same about anything from the US Mint – until maybe 2019.

4. Scott says

The grading services have gotten much more generous with “70” lately. Just look at the completed ebay listings for any of the 2016 gold restrikes and 70s are ten times the number for 69s, especially for the dime. The strike and quality control for the gold dime was pathetic. Bulk submitters are getting lots of 70s back these days for less than perfect coins.

5. cagcrisp says

16EA 2016 AM EAGLE SILVER PROOF 1 OZ 535,479 +1,133

16EB 2016 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 1 OZ 23,165 + 94
    16EC 2016 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ 5,544 + 23
    16EF 2016 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 4-COIN SET 17,080 +119

16EG 2016 AM EAGLE SILVER UNC 1 OZ 174,773 +2,677

7. cagcrisp says

After All these weeks the Dime goes Up…

16XA 2016 WALKING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .5OZ 61,417 + 308

JQ8 2015 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – JOHNSON 1,745 + 3

10. cagcrisp says

16RA 2016 AMERICAN $1 COIN & CURRENCY SET 46,850 +85
    16RB 2016 ANNUAL $1 UNC SET 15,666 + 226
    16RC 2016 LIMITED EDITION SILVER PROOF SET 37,259 + 353

11. cagcrisp says

We have a MAJOR problem with the Mint’s Sales numbers…

We have a Sales number for a Product that has yet to be Sold. (At least it is not supposed to be Sold).

17AQ 2017 ATB QTR SILVER PROOF SET + 924

This item is scheduled to Go on Sale Thursday February 16th, 2017 at 12:00.

Somebody isn’t making America Great Again…

12. cagcrisp says

For the other new products that were Supposed to be Sold:

17ABA 2017 ATB QTR 100-COIN BAG – EFF MNDS (P) 1,672
    17ABB 2017 ATB QTR 100-COIN BAG – EFF MNDS (D) 1,668
    17ABC 2017 ATB QTR 100-COIN BAG – EFF MNDS (S) 2,565

17ARA 2017 ATB QTR 2-ROLL SET – EFF MNDS (P&D) 6,151
    17ARB 2017 ATB QTR 40-COIN ROLL – EFF MNDS (S) 2,245
    17ARC 2017 ATB QTR 3-ROLL SET – EFF MNDS (P&D&S) 5,984

cagcrisp says

February 14, 2017 at 5:21 pm

We have a MAJOR problem with the Mint’s Sales numbers…

17AQ 2017 ATB QTR SILVER PROOF SET + 924

This item is scheduled to Go on Sale Thursday February 16th, 2017 at 12:00.

Somebody isn’t making America Great Again…

WOW! Good catch cag…Also what we already knew all the time, the dealers get to back up the truck and send them off to the grader, then buy replacement sets and put the ones that didn’t make a 70 back in and send them back for scraps to sell to us…

14. Mint News Blog says

Mint News Bloggers, Louis Golino has a new piece up on Coin Update called “Milk Spots on Modern Silver Coins: How Big of an Issue?” The subject has come up in the MNB comments in the past, so I thought you might be interested in the article, which is here: https://goo.gl/olYrRs.

15. Bigguy says

One first strike is 52 the other which is listed 101,the 52 maybe the one with the National Park special label,pcgs does not really have national park gold quite up to date yet,but for the price I got it for in the very beginning still a buy now!!!!

16. cagcrisp says

@Bigguy, you have 2 different First Strile labels for the NPS Gold uncirculated. One First Strike label for 101 and One First Strike label for 52. Total of 153 First Strike labels Currently.

That still compares to a Total of 65 for Jackie Robinson when there was No First Strike labels…

17. Bigguy says

Very true,just read a column on first strikes and Ms and proof 70,the guy that wrote the piece said it is harder to get a 68 today than a 70,so many of them graded high today ,you are right I would rather own a 70 robinson

18. Rick says

First strike, early release, first release, signature labels, first day release, David hall label, one of first 500 label, top 100 modern labels, top 100 coins label, show labels, retro holder, anniversary holder….

Talk about profit-driven dealer-TPG creativity….

19. Bigguy says

Q. David Bower wrote thE Article IN This Week coinworld ms 65 or 66 would be a rarity ,now a days

20. Bigguy says

Yes labels are just a thing for the grading companies to make more money,I have some but no always the best choice,I remember went to coin show in Maryland ,few years ago,had some special labels,the dealer said sir are they 70s or 69s my sheet could care less about labels,these were made up by the grading companies

21. Mattarch says

Nice article on Mint Milk Spots. I have some on bullion coins but plan on keeping the coins. In a few decades after the problem is solved they may be rare and sell for a premium over just regular bullion coins.

22. Erik H says

Louis, nice analysis (and not just because my name is in it).

Like many others, I like collecting different bullion coins from world mints. Even with the high premiums over melt on coins like the silver Pandas it’s a bargain compared to collecting other “over priced” low mintage NCLT coins that are produced. If my bullion coins develope “milk slots” at lease the price depreciation isn’t as bad.

23. Louis Golino, Author says

Thanks, Erik. Good point. I’ve heard of people buying 5 oz proof Britannias that spotted, and those are
    expensive coins $500 or so issue price, and if it is the 2014 issue, retail value is about $1500-2000 today,
    so spots would definitely affect the value of something like that.

24. Don says

How do I know it’s bronze or zinc or plated zinc or brass. on 1982 cent ,any helps or info ,thx in advance

25. Don says

26. Old Big Bird says

@cagcrisp – Interesting about the 2017 ATB Silver proof sets, perhaps Mike Mizsek of HSN/CSN knows where they are LOL. Actually this is not a funny thing.

27. data dave says

I bet the 2017 ATB silver set sales number belongs to a different item. There have been data errors in the past but not so obvious.

28. data dave says

cagcrisp says
    16AN 2016 ATB SILVER UNC 5 OZ – FT MLTR 15,980 + 167

Don,

The 1982-D small date bronze is rare because it was only issued with a large date. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

30. data dave says

Don says

Don, the brass weighs 3.11 grams whereas the plated zinc weighs 2.5 grams. Look at a couple hundred and you can begin to tell the difference without a scale.

Don,

It is possible to eventually get to the point of being able to feel or hear the difference between the 1982 cents, but even I use a scale for these because the difference is almost undetectable. All of the 1982 cents have the same look, only the weight will be different.

I’ve just bought a book entitled “Pendulum”, by Roy H. Williams & Michael R. Drew. I’m going to attempt to find a trend in coin collecting which hopefully can indicate an upswing in the numismatics hobby. The problem being is that it may be too many years before such a trend is at it’s peak. My hope is to just understand where we are at this point and where we are going.

33. cagcrisp says

@data dave, “16AN 2016 ATB SILVER UNC 5 OZ – FT MLTR 15,980 + 167

Wow, this issue is sucking wind. While it has passed the 3 lowest sales, Hawaii (14,863), Acadia (14,978) and Denali (15,225) it still hasn’t caught Chickasaw (16,827). There is a large pack of 8 issues between Chickasaw and Great Basin (17,792), and if this issue fails to reach that level it could signal weak interest for all of the 2017 issues.”

Yep. This is One of my two Silver observations from yesterday’s sales number.

1. Yes the 5 oz. P puck is sucking wind
    2. The uncirculated Silver Lion club is sucking wind

Last year we saw some All-time Lows set by some of the NPS coins. The uncirculated was Not one of the All-time Lows because Lows in the Silver dollar were set years ago and quite frankly will be hard to break. HOWEVER, Sales of the NPS Silver uncirculated were dismal dismal dismal…

…And Now we have the uncirculated Silver Lion that after 4 weeks of sales is Trailing the NPS uncirculated Silver by 14%.

…So you had Dismal sales last year for the NPS uncirculated Silver and arguably the Strongest of the two commemorative Silvers and yet…

…The Lions club is even worse

The combination of the Dismal sales numbers for the 5 oz. P puck Fort Moultrie and the Dismal sales numbers for the Lions club uncirculated Silver does Not bode well for what the Mint is putting out.

The animal cracker 5 oz. P puck is next in line and the BT Silvers are next in line and with the headwinds created by Fort Moultrie and the Lions club Silver I only imagine how bad sales will be for the animal cracker 5 oz. P puck and the BT coins both Gold and Silver.

Not good IF you’re the Mint looking for sales and these items are leading into your 2017 “all in” HR…

34. Louis Golino, Author says

For anyone interested, my piece on milk spots made it on the Mint’s daily e-mail of key press articles that goes to the top management, CCAC, etc.

35. Just Another Dave In Pa says

Thanks, Louis, for another excellent article. I’m glad it’s receiving the recognition it deserves and I hope it encourages various mints to find a solution.

I bought the Queen’s Beasts 2 oz silver bullion coins and almost immediately put them in the deep x38mm capsules with the foam ring. It’s not a perfect fit but I hope it’s enough to prevent milk spots and oxidation. I probably won’t look at them again until the next issue in the series comes out so I’ll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

36. Louis Golino, Author says

Thanks, Dave in PA. My first beasts (lions) definitely had some spots and quite a few marks, but the griffins were much better.
    I wish someone would do a well-designed survey of say 1,000 people who buy modern silver coins and see what they say about this issue because I hate relying on anecdotes.

37. Louis Golino, Author says

If you are interested in the Southern Sky domed gold coin, APMEX has them for several hundred less than the mint’s price, but when the current batch, which went from about 50 to 17 over the last day, is gone, the price will go up. I think this is one of those modern coins that will do well. Only 750 made, first in a 2-coin series, very popular theme and well you know what the silver Crux did. Plus very few in the US market since many sold down under or in Europe and Asia. And unique- the first domed star constellation coin ever and first 1 oz gold domed coin since the French one from 2009 was smaller and had color. APMEX should give me a discount!!

38. joe#2 says

Louis? I guess that piece for that price must be in B U condition. (The 2017 Australia 1 oz $100 Gold Southern Sky Domed Proof.)

39. data dave says

@ Old Big Bird – was trying to see if they took down the Shawnee quarters since they started selling the Effigy quarters but it doesn’t look like it yet. Frustrating thing is that they still show the Blue Ridge quarters until you get all the way to the end, rather than showing them sold out on the main web page. Whoever runs that site is pretty sloppy.

I wonder if the 2017 ATB silver proof set sales are real and they accidentally took some orders when they were not supposed to. Luckily its not a limited item.

40. Just Another Dave In Pa says

Maybe they’ve already processed subscription orders? 900 some sounds about right?

It would be interesting to know how many subscription orders exist for each product.

I have subscriptions for the 5 oz ATB quarter and the silver proof sets and the ASE proof and uncirculated coins,

41. Throckmorton says

Louis, I enjoyed your article on milk spots. Do you think that maybe the mints should be looking at a more water soluble cleaning agent that would have a better chance of being rinsed off?

Also, would you mind addressing the issue of what I’ll call “bronzing” of gold coins in PCGS holders? I have several mint items including a UHR that were graded by PCGS and began to exhibit the discoloration within a year of being slabbed. I’m sure I am not the only one to experience the phenomena.

PCGS holders suck…I heard the new ones are much uch better but back in the day, they turned everything…Now, if only we would get the rainbow effect like on the old morgans held in the plastic flip sheets..

Maybe the surge in “antiquing” has been a way to sway from spotting…RCM is the worst though, I see it all the time on their bullion.

The domed gold is sold out at the Mint’s sight with APMEX charging a hefty $500+ premium over spot. If anyone has an extra $500??

45. Louis Golino, Author says

@Throckmorton- This has come up repeatedly here as many have had the same experience. Thankfully, my UHR is fine but I have had pcgs coins do the same. It is something with the holders, but I do not know what causes it. None of my NGC coins have had this issue. I will not have any modern US gold graded by pcgs as a result.