United States Mint awarded two top honors for Coin of the Year

2015-United-States-COTY-Award-winning-coins

(Washington)—The United States recently earned top honors in two coin-design categories at the World Money Fair in Berlin, Germany. United States Mint officials accepted two Coin of the Year (COTY) Awards on behalf of the nation. The U.S. won in the category of Best Circulating Coin for its America the Beautiful Program quarter honoring Kisatchie National Forest, and in the category of Most Inspirational Coin for its March of Dimes silver dollar commemorative coin.

“The designers, sculptors, and engravers of the Mint comprise the very best talent in the numismatic industry,” said David Motl, acting principal deputy director of the Mint. “Artists are an indispensable part of the coin-production process and the Mint congratulates them on this well-deserved recognition.”

The March of Dimes silver dollar, which celebrates the 75th anniversary of the establishment of the March of Dimes Foundation, includes a reverse that was designed and sculpted by sculptor-engraver Don Everhart, who has been with the Mint since 2004. The obverse features the profiles of President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Dr. Jonas Salk, two leaders in the fight against polio. It was designed by Paul Balan, a member of the Artistic Infusing Program (AIP) since 2010, and sculpted by Mint sculptor-engraver Michael Gaudioso, who has been with the Mint since 2009.

The America the Beautiful Program quarter honoring Kisatchie National Forest features a wild turkey in flight over bluestem grass with long-leaf pines in the background on the reverse. The design is by Susan Gamble, who was part of the AIP from 2004 until her death in 2015. Sculptor-engraver Joseph Menna, who joined the Mint in 2005, sculpted the design.

The COTY Awards recognize artistic talent among 10 design categories. A panel of international judges selects from coins issued two years prior to the year of the award. Both of the coins were issued in 2015 and are no longer available from the Mint.   ❑

Press release courtesy of the United States Mint.

Comments

1. Louis Golino, Author says

Isn’t it interesting that a coin (MOD dollar) that sold poorly and was not very popular with collectors won?

I love the MOD coin and feel it deserving of an award. It is a beautiful design, unique and fitting for “inspirational”. The dimes that came with it are holding up well still aren’t they? Anyone trolling for Brady’s jersey online? lol

3. KEITHSTER says

Sweet this should be a boost for both coins one loved the other not so much by many? Or as one might say looks like that dead baby just might bounce! Just glad I went in heavy on both love them both but it’s nice to have a CODY to back them!!! Way to go US Mint & Good Luck To All”>”>”>”>”>”>”>”>”>”>”>”>”>”>”>”>”>”>”>”>

4. earthling says

” Anyone trolling for Brady’s jersey online? lol”

Give our friends in China a bit more time, then you’ll be able to buy a truckload of Brady’s Jersey. Pay a bit extra I’ll bet they’ll even throw in some holographic COA’s … just to assure everyone it’s the real deal n all.

😈

5. mgm says

Question

I’m building a graded world (US too), type and date set in gold. Size 1/10 to honor my
    Dad who passed away a few years ago. Him and I were close and collected coins together. My question is have limited cash with a twenty year horizon, would you buy all the types first or the highest grade one you can afford first? A few of the coins that met my preameters have only came up on ebay once. So now I’m worried I’ll never see them come up again. I’m looking to get every single one minted…. wish me luck.

Good luck, and I will tell you that the place your dad left behind will never be filled, so make your life worth all this trouble we go through.

7. cagcrisp says

@data dave, “Big month, lots of revenue for the US Mint. It would be nice if gold fell back below the $1200 mark before these products come out.”

You Better wish Gold stays Below $1,250.00…

8. cagcrisp says

16CA 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD PROOF 4,917 + 1
    16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 5,150 (10)
    16CC 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE SILVER PROOF 62,724 + 1

16XC 2016 STANDING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .25OZ 87,739 + 185

12. cagcrisp says

Dismal and Dismal…

17CH 2017 LIONS CLUBS SILVER PROOF 34,528 + 4,711
    17CJ 2017 LIONS CLUBS SILVER UNC 10,047 +1,085

13. Mint News Blog says

@cagcrisp — I’ve been watching for the Mint’s update, but so far I’m still getting the January 29 report. Did you do anything special to get the new numbers to come up?

UPDATE — They finally popped up. I guess the site just likes you better than it likes me. 😉

14. cagcrisp says

Some Do Not Believe (Rightfully So) the Pump And Are Returning The Pump…

16SA 2016 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ – NIXON 2,465 (4)
    16SB 2016 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – NIXON 1,543 (4)
    16SC 2016 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ – FORD 2,259 (15)
    16SD 2016 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – FORD 1,531 (2)
    16SE 2016 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ – REAGAN 3,337 –
    16SF 2016 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – REAGAN 1,794 5

JQ1 2015 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ – TRUMAN 2,606 + 1
    JQ2 2015 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – TRUMAN 1,832 + 4
    JQ4 2015 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – EISENHWR 1,937 + 4
    JQ6 2015 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – KENNEDY 6,525 +13
    JQ7 2015 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ – JOHNSON 2,625 + 2
    JQ8 2015 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – JOHNSON 1,742 2

15. cagcrisp says

Just How Dismal is the Dismal showing for the Lions Club?

In relationship to the Initial 2016 offering of Mark Twain , This is the 3rd weekly sales numbers for the Lions Club and Current Sales numbers vs. The Mark Twain OPENING week are

Lions Club Proof 7.2% Less than Opening week for Mark Twain Proof
    Lions Club Uncirculated 31.1% Less than Opening week for Mark Twain Uncirculated…

16. Numismatrix says

mgm : would you buy all the types first or the highest grade one you can afford first?

Very nice and thoughtful !

IMHO – I would aim for OGP – if not try NGC 70s to build a nice set.
    The NGCs are more consistent in grade and hold value. The 69 grade may be a
    bit less expensive but they seem to be eschewed by novices in the market.

I can’t believe the Mint is still reporting updated numbers for the 2016 commemorative coins. I like the new number for the National Park Service Gold Uncirculated. It makes me think of Van Halen back when I was in high school! 🙂

18. Old Big Bird says

Interesting drop in sales for

2016 ATB Quarter Proof Sets last week was 41,798 this week it is now 39,855 A drop or return of 1,943,

@Brad – I hear ya. Sammy Hagar’s first, a very commercial success…but coming off the heels of 1984, I recall not liking it as much. I was 12 when 1984 came out!

20. cagcrisp says

According to an article on CW, the 2016 and 2017 ASE’s have been struck at More than one Mint. Currently the 2017 has been minted at West Point, Philadelphia and San Fransisco.

CW has filed a FOI with the Mint to determine how many coins were struck at various mints and the numbering system on the monster boxes.

In the article it is stated “NGC officials believe coins struck at the West Point Mint are of higher quality when received because they are robotically placed into tubes for shipping instead of handled manually”

What does all this mean? Well…Once the FOI has been answered and a determination of HOW rare Philadelphia and San Francisco coin are…

…Be prepared to have a Pricing Difference on 2017 ASE’s depending on Whether they want to spin “quality” vs. “mintage supply”. (NGC isn’t doing all this for their health)…

One Fine Dime,

We’re about the same age then, because even though I was still 11 when 1984 came out, I turned 12 during 1984. I’ll turn 45 in June. Geez, it makes me feel so old to type that out!

5150 had most of it’s hits during my freshman year of high school. 1984 was definitely better, but I enjoyed them both!

Congrats to the March of Dimes silver dollar for the COTY award, just to keep it “on topic”! 🙂

22. LurkingTroll says

No fart is older than I…
    Just nice to learn that two of my favorites from 2015 earned international recognition. With the 2013 Mount Rushmore, that is two Circulating Coin COTYs for the US Mint ATB Program.
    Bash USM all you want for whatever reason (1st Amendment) but they have some GREAT talent – it just does not always make it to an issued coin.

23. Louis Golino, Author says

I’m surprised no one is talking about the impressive prices the NPS gold unc is bringing. That was by far the best deal from the USM last year at least for now.

24. earthling says

So is the NPS $5 BU Gold bringing a premium? Please share.

That’s amazing if true.

If the Jackie Robinson Gold drops soon, maybe I can finally pick up both a BU and a Proof. I’ m about the cheapest Coin SOB out here. I love cool Coins at bullion prices.

Say what you will about the JR being one ugly Coin. JR broke the color barrier in Baseball because he was one phenomenal talent. I’ve been wanting a Robinson Gold for about 16 years now. It’s good I’m so thrifty, otherwise a big loss would have been mine over that piece of Gold.

👍

25. KCSO says

Brad says, “. It makes me think of Van Halen back when I was in high school!”

5150, Thanks for making the connection, I just saw that & got a good laugh out of it, I was a freshman when that rocked the charts.

I recall the day, like it was yesterday, the first time I heard ‘Jump’ on that 12 lbs boom box of mine back in Dec ’14 while shoveling a foot and half of snow out of my folks drive way, and it was like, Oh, this shoveling sucks but that song makes it Okay. Good times the 80’s!

One lame troll – you mean to tell me that you are 43 and you’re out here on multiple blogs indiscriminately calling people racist, starting flame wars on multiple blogs, and passing judgement on 5150 when your reference was 12 years old, Setiously???!
    You need to wisen up boy, you’re embarrassing yourself. Keep it up and you’ll end up like ‘No Value Add’ Huckster who only shows only to take cheap shots at fellow posters, you don’t want to be that guy.

It’s time to define your reputation and to start buying gold coins, ‘nough said.

1984 & 5150 both rocked, & when you purchase a pound of gold a year, then feel free to come back and call the rest of rascist all you want, starting with me.

BTW, & I’ll be glad to finance the reading comprehension class another poster suggested, just tell me where to send the check.

26. KCSO says

Earthing- Exactly, please share..,

PCGS MS70’s of the NPS UNC $5 are rocking it off a few sales as there’s so few on the pop report, though run of the mill OGP and non FS/ER 70’s are sucking wind.., and forget 69’s..,

2,000 sold in the last 6-8 weeks.., run that across the # sold, there’s your foretelling ratio.., DOA

27. KCSO says

Lady Bird Proof went from 28 to 24 in the past 96 hours.., things are looking up for the FS, better ‘Jump’ in while you can! Sorry, some of you will see the humor in that.

I bought the March of Dimes special set with the two unique dimes. We’ll see if any premiums come to the dimes. I mainly thought it was a novel concept and the Rosy series doesn’t have many keys, so I figured that was one possibility down the road too if the series were to gain date/mm interest with future collectors. I found the overlapping profiles of the obverse to be really striking! I know this design technique was very common with the classic commemorative series – a quick flip through an old red book reveals some nine issues w/ overlapping profiles. I’m sure there is a special term for that. Looks like the Wright brothers might be the only modern issue other than this MOD.

@Brad – yep, I turn 45 this year too. Now I can’t help imagining overlapping profiles of Hagar and Roth with this Van Halen and MOD coin discussion overlap.

@KCSO – you really do sound like a playground bully.

@Dustyroads – was that directed at him or me?

OFD, It’s the principle that bothers me. He thinks you’re a troll, yet he wants to push your buttons, going against his own advice.

30. So Krates says

@ Brad/One Fine Dime/KCSO – One of the biggest disappointments of my early years was the release of 1984 and the World Premier Video of “Jump” broadcast by MTV on New Years Eve, 1983. I had discovered Van Halen soon after the release of Diver Down and had since gone back and bought every previous album (mostly cassettes, but some vinyl). I couldn’t wait for the new album from my guitar idol. If someone had been looking at my face when I first heard that opening keyboard salvo they would have thought my dog had just been run over. I felt almost like I’d been punched in the gut that night. Although there was a token guitar solo, I just thought it was synth pop crap and a complete sell out. I later came to appreciate the rest of album as there are plenty of other hard riffin cuts and some good drumming, but it was clearly the beginning of the end. By the time 5150 was rolled out, the proverbial shark had been jumped. Didn’t buy it… but didn’t have to as I got beaten over the head with it all summer of ’86. Sammy and Eddie dominated the classic rock airwaves that whole year but I just couldn’t drive 55.

31. So Krates says

Rick says, “… fs progrom will be gone soon…”

Will you have anything to comment about after your raison d’etre is gone?

32. So Krates says

KCSO says, “…when you purchase a pound of gold a year, then feel free to come back and call the rest of rascist all you want, starting with me.”

Do you mean 16 avoirdupois oz (which is a unit that gold is not sold in)?
    Do you mean 16 troy oz. (which is not a unit in any system of measurement)?
    Do you mean a troy pound (12 troy oz)?

If he purchases a “pound” of all Apartheid era Krugerrands does he still get to call someone racist?

33. cagcrisp says

The Main Page video link on the US Mint’s website promoting the 2017 HR was Removed yesterday…

@cagcrisp –

By drawing attention to the removed 2017 HR video on the US Mint’s website, I can only assume you are suggesting a possible move by the new regime to halt the coin’s release. I just saw on Coin Week, that the coin is to be displayed next week at the Long Beach show.

If the coin ends up NOT being shown next week at Long Beach, then I might be suspicious.

35. Erik H says

Thanks to speculators the $5 Proof NPS coin sold less than the Uncirculated NPS coin which is an anomaly.

In other off topic news, I found a “red” proof 1968 S cent in change today. I almost over looked it because it looked so new.

36. Corrector says

@ Erik H- the proof was also sold in a set, so not lower mintage.
    I made that same mistake when purchasing.

37. MarkInFlorida says

Does anyone know if there’ll be a special 20th anniversary platinum eagle this year?

MarkInFlorida, Yes, According to articles, it will have the same reverse as the first issue.

39. GoldFishin says

This Van Halen tune goes out to a MNB’er living there in the heart of Detroit Rock City. When I think of “Mean Street” I can’t help but think of “Earthling” and his crackhead ex-girlfriend, or whatever. One of my favorites from the early years, very much underplayed back in the day. Edward at his best…..

Cheers!

40. Gary Not Dave says

Uh oh…..be careful @Goldfishn

Your gonna start the Roth/Hagar debate! LOL

Roth all the way!

Although it was pretty awesome they put out 1984 with Roth and 2 years later followed it with Hagar and 5150….which I am a fan of the 5150 album….I do own all 6 Van Halen albums with Roth and only 5150 and OU812 with Hagar.

41. gatortreke says

Since we’re on the topic of Van Halen and Jump, I was in college back in 1984. During the summer, I traveled to France to visit family who were working there for a couple of years. I was listening to a French music station one afternoon when the announcer became all excited about the new Van Halen song, Gump, as in Forest Gump. If you know French, you’ll know the letters j and g have different pronunciations from the way English pronounces them but neither letter is spoken with a hard g sound. I can still hear today the announcer getting all excited and almost screaming Gump as the song started to play. 🙂

42. curt A says

ATR72 is accident prone. Cant remember the last time I saw one flying in the Eastern US. I wouldn’t board one.

So Kisatchie won, who would have thought.
    FWIW, a pound of silver is 14.58 troy ozs. which means a 100 lbs. is 1458 oz.
    A $50 bag of copper cents weighs the same as a monster box.

longarm,

I have a nice stash of copper cents myself. They’re all weighed and packaged in 68lb and 10lb boxes.
    I have a bank here that always has $25.00 boxes, so when I get really board I buy 4 and sort away. It’s always a miniature adventure. I just have to use cardboard over my desk because the cents are so darn dirty.

Yes, a nice looking coin won. It’s always a nice drive up that way.

45. So Krates says

“A $50 bag of copper cents weighs the same as a monster box.”

Yes, the EXACT same amount to the gram! That can’t be a coincidence, right? That silver is exactly 10 times more valuable than copper on a face value/weight basis. I guess the 5% zinc throws the ratio off though

46. Old Big Bird says

@ earthling – Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I most likely will never seen the end of the 14 year run. I am referencing part of my login name OLD. I will be happy to see the end of the ATB quarters. I have collected a large amount of president proof’s but in no way would I start the series you are referencing accept in a small amount of sets. They will have low quantities since they will not be circulated ( I believe that), It will end up being a waste of the US Mints $$$$$

47. data dave says

@Dustyroads – have you notice how you can almost spot the copper cents by looks alone without even reading the date? The new cents get ugly so quickly whereas the older copper cents age a lot more gracefully.

data dave,

Yes that’s true. When I first started sorting I did however have trouble, so I used the date primarily with the use of a scale for the 1982 cents. I eventually was able to spot the copper cents by their higher reliefs. Late year 1982 and a few of the following years up to about 1985 can also be a little tricky because the strikes appear to have been on the strong side for Zinc. It’s always fun finding wheat pennies in perfect condition. I don’t see many rare cents, but there are lots of minor error coins and souvenir pressings.

49. Erik H says

No more dollar coins until we get rid of the FRN. I like and use dollar coins but they aren’t going to circulate until the “$1 debt bill” is removed.

Let’s hope silver closes over $18 on Monday. Gold over $1250 would be good too.

50. bobo says

Every first spouse proof that is still for sale has already exceeded the low set by

2014 Grace Coolidge 2,315

EXCEPT Betty Ford which had 2,259 sold as of this week

So the proof key will either be the Coolidge or the Ford

Runner-ups will be:
    2014 Florence Harding 2,372
    2014 Eleanor Roosevelt 2,377
    2014 Lou Hoover 2,392

51. bobo says

But since these PF #s are so similar, I suspect the PF Eleanor Roosevelt will command the highest price in a few years, because she was the only one of the lot who was of historical consequence, Same for the unc version.

52. earthling says

Anyone following the Pogue Coin Auctions at all? Way out of my League but I have had a mild interest in the goings on with the first 4 Sales. The final (5th) Auction is supposed to be happening soon.

Thank God for that. Hope it goes well for them.

53. data dave says

54. Old Big Bird says

I received eight 2016-S ATB Silver proof sets Saturday. And of course as par for the US Mint one of the boxes came in crushed on one end and there were air bubbles on the obverse side. First, the box was way to large for
    the number of lenses ordered and second there then was not sufficient packing material. When, I got the box you could hear the boxes shifting inside. I must say the mint does handle the return well but it does get a bit frustrating having to run back to the UPS store. Because of what I would call quality control in is causing a waste of shipping return and replacing dollars. In the last two orders to 2016 Silver Proof Set and 2016 Silver ATB Proof sets I now have 3 returns. I am surprise more collectors have not written about this problem. Or I am just a fussy OLD person who expects a great product for the US Mints prices.

55. cagcrisp says

• data dave says “@cagcrisp – Based on the last few weeks of sales for the Gold Walking Liberty and Gold Standing Liberty it looks like the half will eventually sell out whereas the quarter will fall short. So based on sales, distribution, and current market demand, where do you think these 3 (including the dime) will stand in the long run (3 years)? I think these coins are a must have for a gold type collector. Especially if the Mint chooses to do a few more classic coins the same way.”

1. I think those are All good questions
    2. I think as an investor, you are asking the questions that need to be asked and I appreciate that
    3. Because of my bias, I don’t think I’m the Right person to be asking

I have asked myself the same question you ask about the Standing Liberty quarter and the Walking Liberty half. I see the sales numbers for the Walking Liberty half last week as being an aberration and the half will not Sell Out until late in the year or not at all. I don’t see the Standing Liberty selling out at all this calendar year. Whether the Mint pulls the coins before mintage limits are hit is another question to ask and could affect long term financial results.

I have several of the Winged Liberty dimes and as of yet, I have not purchased for my own account Any quarters or Any halves so that tells you My bias concerning the dime, quarter and half.

I have been Very critical of the past Mint’s leadership. I’m optimist that Trump and Mnuchin will appoint a Mint Director that will turn things around at the Mint and Going Forward thing will be done more in a business manner.

If the Mint continues down the Current path then you can kiss most modern coins goodbye because of dismal secondary market pricing.

I’ve always thought the Winged Liberty dime was a $300 coin, regardless of the swing and miss the Mint did with Launch #2 where they played class warfare and decided who or who could not purchase the coin the second time around.
    I just don’t have a gut feeling on the quarter or half because of all the uncertainty concerning the direction of the Mint’s leadership, whether the coins will be pulled before mintage limits are hit or whether the Mint will continue with what Could be very successful launches of more classical Gold coins.

…SO…from my point of view, what happens with prices 3 years down the road all depends on the direction the Mint goes between now and then and as of now we just have too many unknown variables …

56. Rick says

A Couple of updates

1. A couple of bulk orders for Betty ford proof are happening at this very moment…
    2. Given the aggressive dealer pricing of walking liberty on bay, even big dealers like mcm are feleling the pressure.

Old Big Bird,

I only buy one Silver Proof Set each year and it comes from the subscription program. Early in 1916 when I received my set, it did have a cracked lens also. Of course I sent it back. By the way, I’m in agreement with you over the lousy packaging everything is being sent out in from the USM. Everything is loose, shaking, bouncing, you name it. The company hired back around 2012 for the job has yet to get it right. I liked the job the prior company was doing; better boxes, better paper packaging both top and bottom.
    I tell them all the time in their surveys, but they still keep doing the same thing.

58. Tom P. - MA says

I haven’t received anything actually damaged from the mint, but that’s only because they got lucky. My most memorable box had the product on the bottom and 2 layers of bubble wrap on top. Brilliant! Why not use common sense and put 1 layer of bubble wrap on the bottom, product, 1 layer of bubble wrap on top? Even then things would be bouncing around because they seem to ration bubble wrap. Even on good days the boxes are terribly oversized with huge amounts of airspace.

@Eric H

I hear ya there. So many things strike me as just completely ba$$ackwards about the federal government here in regards to these dollar coins. First, the curse of Susan B. They make these things small because no one wants a big hunken 1.5 inch clad dollar in their pocket. Then they claim joe american was gettin all confused, handing out Susan instead of George…as if people couldn’t actually just look at their coins when they paid for stuff. Silver averaged around $3.25 over Dwight’s run on the dollar from ’71 to ’78. If he’d been silver a la Peace and Morgan, that coin would have been worth around $2.50 (and it clearly should have been). I always liked those 20 kroner pieces when I lived in Denmark for a short stint in 2001. They were actually smaller in diameter than some coins of lower value, but they were thicker. That would be pretty neat for the Native American series. With a thicker coin, you could be more deliberate and creative in stamping technique and font style with the edge lettering. The current edge lettering is like a whisper of a nothing of a mark. Denigrating E Pluribus Unum like that…a travesty. And in a million years of numismatics, have you ever heard of moving the year from obverse to the edge?! Seems like a cornerstone of date/mm collecting, to actually be able to see the year on the face of the coin!

Now these modern ones, the mint is makin’ em outta some mix of manganese, right? Can you even get the newest ones at the bank anymore? I participated in the direct ship program they had for the first two issues of the Native American series. (no premiums, so $1 coin = $1 to buy; and the mint paid the shipping) I live in historic Haudenosaunee territory (NY State), so that second issue really resonated with me. Then some sly devils realized you could direct ship on your credit card, and deposit the coins at your bank the day after receiving them….boooya! whopping points on the credit card, for free! So of course they nixed the direct ship program.

I think a new american innovations series would be great, if it circulated (as Eric H says).

And I could never figure out what insanity it was not to mint all the coins in silver in the ‘so called’ silver proof sets. I feel demand would have been much greater, astonishingly greater, big hands greater. I think the standard sets should be all silver: Native American dollar, half dollar, quarter, dime, nickel, penny. Every single coin in traditional 90% silver. Then a supplemental set would be the presidents – all silver.

So, a thicker Native American Dollar, with the year on the face, with real edge lettering (like on old silver russian rubles), and made out of silver for collectors, and manganese brass clad for the masses (once they cease with the paper $1).
    …a fantasy coin
    …high relief on the silver would be pretty cool too

60. RSF says

Great points OFD. Except the manganese needs to be removed from the alloy mix. It makes the appearance of the gold dollar change to dirty brown after a month of circulation.

I’m sure congress will see the value of the $60 million savings to end the $1 FRN this time. They didn’t see it the last two times, but third time a charm?

61. Joseph says

Rick, you work for the mint? how do you know there are bulk orders???

Rick says
    FEBRUARY 13, 2017 AT 5:36 PM

A Couple of updates

@RSF –
    Is this coming up for discussion in Congress? My understanding is it has been strong lobbying out of Mass to squelch any proposals on nixing the $1 FRN…due to the company that has produced that paper being there. But I can see this Congress to be more open to a proposal if it will save that much $.

Personally, I don’t mind the look on the circulated manganese brass clad. I have a pocket piece that exhibits some nice toning in the right lighting.

63. So Krates says

Gold just fell $10 in seconds and silver down $.25 wiping out today’s gains in an instant. Whazzzup?

64. earthling says

If we could some how get a grassroots movement started to eliminate the paper $1 , maybe it would go somewhere. With the current system of “Lobbyists” , handing out bundles of cash to keep things going their way, nothing will ever change.

Maybe the Cent and Nickel could join the paper $1 on the trip to retirement? Our President could apply the money saved, to his credit Wall Project. Perhaps that will encourage him to action?

65. data dave says

I consider a $10 move to be a non event. The Fed will raise rates again, but if the economy starts to slow for any reason, no more increases. And the FS coins will soar. Has to add that last part for Rick. 🙂

66. So Krates says

Yeah that’d be great, dump the cent and $1 FRN simultaneously. Clear out the dollars in the vaults. Force it down our throats.

As for a wall, be careful what you wish for. It was not that long ago that a wall was built in Berlin. The initial stated intent when encircling is always to keep others out. The reality quickly becomes clear to those who desire to leave.

67. Rick says

Mcm tried to dump 8 Betty ford pr 69. Gone in 25 minutes……you will never figure out what’s going on without access to dealer-dealer transactions.

68. earthling says

With the way things are going with the US / Canadian Border, maybe there is a better way than building a US/ Mexico Wall? Perhaps free Express Transit from Tex/Mex Border to Canada?

Just read an article about 2 Ethiopians that lost fingers to frostbite while crossing a frozen northern US State to Canada. Seems like Canada is heaven when compared to the USA. I’m right here on the Border, guess I need to get the correct documents so I can go take a look see. Always heard how good the Windsor Ballet is – got to check it out soon.

69. HarryB says

@Joseph: while it is not possible to fully understand why some post what they do when they do, it seems to me that Rick has insider big retail dealer knowledge, and seems to be aimed at generating interest in FS coins. As a collector of the FS series since the beginning, I hold no illusion as to their long term value other than the spot market. If I had a lot of inventory to move like some of the retailers, I would be trying to generate interest too. Harry

70. cagcrisp says

Considerations going forward concerning the NPS Uncirculated Gold and Whether or Not it will indeed unseat the Jackie Robinson uncirculated financially…

1. There were only 65 Jackie Robinson’s uncirculated Gold that graded PCGS 70
    2. There are Currently 258 NPS uncirculated Gold that have graded PCGS 70
    3. The percentage of 69’s vs. 70’s for Jackie Robinson uncirculated Gold is 93.8% 69’s and only 6.2% that graded PCGS 70
    4. The percentage of 69’s vs. 70’s for the NPS uncirculated Gold is 14.9% 69’s vs. 85.1% that graded PCGS 70
    5. The Jackie Robinson uncirculated Gold has the Lowest number of graded 70’s of All modern uncirculated Gold commemoratives
    6. There Currently are 17 modern commemorative uncirculated Gold coins that have a Raw number of 70’s that are Rarer in Total than the NPS uncirculated Gold
    7. On a percentage basis, the NPS 70’s are actually quite High 5.0% (258 of 5,150) vs. the All-time Lowest of Jackie Robinson of 1.3% (65 of 5,174)
    8. There were 50.5% (1,745 of 3,456) of previous YTD sales of the NPS uncirculated Gold recorded in the last 5 weeks of sales and weekly numbers of PCGS 70’s continue to grow.
    9. With the late surge in NPS Gold uncirculated sales you have to assume there are Plenty of NPS uncirculated Golds waiting in the wings to be graded IF prices warrant.

My conclusion, while the raw number of the NPS uncirculated Golds are indeed the lowest of all modern uncirculated Golds, the Jackie Robinson PCGS 70’s are much rarer than the NPS Gold uncirculated PCGS 70’s and in the Long Term be valued accordingly…

71. achmed says

in 1997 and 1998 may be only a few coincollectors let their coins be graded. After the price rose for the Robinson it was not that important to have the coin graded. At the moment big dealers let their coins be graded because they know that 70ies make more money than nongraded coins. So I think that cagcrisp’s thoughts are not that valuable.
    Both coins are interesting and will be.

72. cagcrisp says

@achmed, “in 1997 and 1998 may be only a few coincollectors let their coins be graded. After the price rose for the Robinson it was not that important to have the coin graded. ”

Just not True.

There were MORE graded Jackie Robinson from 1997 than there Currently are for the NPS Gold uncirculated.

Jackie Robinson uncirculated Gold PCGS :
    69’s – 978
    70’s -65

NPS uncirculated Gold PCGS:
    69’s – 45
    70’s -258

73. data dave says

@achmed – You need to re-read points #3 and #4 as to the percentage of 69 and 70 that have been graded. Cagcrisp is stating that there are not that many 70s even if ALL the Jackie coins were sent in to be graded because only 6.2% of those sent in already graded 70.

74. cagcrisp says

Corresponding numbers for those that like NGC…

Jackie Robinson Gold uncirculated NGC:
    69’s – 561
    70’s – 262

NPS Gold uncirculated NGC:
    69’s – 9
    70’s – 403

75. HarryB says

The Jackie Robinson $5 Unc coin was largely a weak strike, took me several years to get a NGC MS70. Over the years I have seen several eBay auctions for a “rare” NGC MS61, and numerous MS67s&68s… I suspect most raw coins sold in capsules/OGP are crack outs….

76. earthling says

Today I got my 1917 Dan Carr Peace Dollar and 1/10 oz Gold Clark/ Gruber . These certainly aren’t US Mint products, but to me , they’re more interesting than anything the US Mint has put out, recently.

Right now, I’m going to order a 1/4 oz and 1/2 oz Clark/Gruber. These are just too cool to ignore.

Can’t say the same about anything from the US Mint – until maybe 2019.

77. Scott says

The grading services have gotten much more generous with “70” lately. Just look at the completed ebay listings for any of the 2016 gold restrikes and 70s are ten times the number for 69s, especially for the dime. The strike and quality control for the gold dime was pathetic. Bulk submitters are getting lots of 70s back these days for less than perfect coins.

78. cagcrisp says

16EA 2016 AM EAGLE SILVER PROOF 1 OZ 535,479 +1,133

16EB 2016 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 1 OZ 23,165 + 94
    16EC 2016 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ 5,544 + 23
    16EF 2016 AM EAGLE GOLD PROOF 4-COIN SET 17,080 +119

16EG 2016 AM EAGLE SILVER UNC 1 OZ 174,773 +2,677

80. cagcrisp says

After All these weeks the Dime goes Up…

16XA 2016 WALKING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .5OZ 61,417 + 308

JQ8 2015 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – JOHNSON 1,745 + 3

83. cagcrisp says

16RA 2016 AMERICAN $1 COIN & CURRENCY SET 46,850 +85
    16RB 2016 ANNUAL $1 UNC SET 15,666 + 226
    16RC 2016 LIMITED EDITION SILVER PROOF SET 37,259 + 353

84. cagcrisp says

We have a MAJOR problem with the Mint’s Sales numbers…

We have a Sales number for a Product that has yet to be Sold. (At least it is not supposed to be Sold).

17AQ 2017 ATB QTR SILVER PROOF SET + 924

This item is scheduled to Go on Sale Thursday February 16th, 2017 at 12:00.

Somebody isn’t making America Great Again…

85. cagcrisp says

For the other new products that were Supposed to be Sold:

17ABA 2017 ATB QTR 100-COIN BAG – EFF MNDS (P) 1,672
    17ABB 2017 ATB QTR 100-COIN BAG – EFF MNDS (D) 1,668
    17ABC 2017 ATB QTR 100-COIN BAG – EFF MNDS (S) 2,565

17ARA 2017 ATB QTR 2-ROLL SET – EFF MNDS (P&D) 6,151
    17ARB 2017 ATB QTR 40-COIN ROLL – EFF MNDS (S) 2,245
    17ARC 2017 ATB QTR 3-ROLL SET – EFF MNDS (P&D&S) 5,984

cagcrisp says

February 14, 2017 at 5:21 pm

We have a MAJOR problem with the Mint’s Sales numbers…

17AQ 2017 ATB QTR SILVER PROOF SET + 924

This item is scheduled to Go on Sale Thursday February 16th, 2017 at 12:00.

Somebody isn’t making America Great Again…

WOW! Good catch cag…Also what we already knew all the time, the dealers get to back up the truck and send them off to the grader, then buy replacement sets and put the ones that didn’t make a 70 back in and send them back for scraps to sell to us…

87. Mint News Blog says

Mint News Bloggers, Louis Golino has a new piece up on Coin Update called “Milk Spots on Modern Silver Coins: How Big of an Issue?” The subject has come up in the MNB comments in the past, so I thought you might be interested in the article, which is here: https://goo.gl/olYrRs.

88. Bigguy says

One first strike is 52 the other which is listed 101,the 52 maybe the one with the National Park special label,pcgs does not really have national park gold quite up to date yet,but for the price I got it for in the very beginning still a buy now!!!!

89. cagcrisp says

@Bigguy, you have 2 different First Strile labels for the NPS Gold uncirculated. One First Strike label for 101 and One First Strike label for 52. Total of 153 First Strike labels Currently.

That still compares to a Total of 65 for Jackie Robinson when there was No First Strike labels…

90. Bigguy says

Very true,just read a column on first strikes and Ms and proof 70,the guy that wrote the piece said it is harder to get a 68 today than a 70,so many of them graded high today ,you are right I would rather own a 70 robinson

91. Rick says

First strike, early release, first release, signature labels, first day release, David hall label, one of first 500 label, top 100 modern labels, top 100 coins label, show labels, retro holder, anniversary holder….

Talk about profit-driven dealer-TPG creativity….

92. Bigguy says

Q. David Bower wrote thE Article IN This Week coinworld ms 65 or 66 would be a rarity ,now a days

93. Bigguy says

Yes labels are just a thing for the grading companies to make more money,I have some but no always the best choice,I remember went to coin show in Maryland ,few years ago,had some special labels,the dealer said sir are they 70s or 69s my sheet could care less about labels,these were made up by the grading companies

94. Mattarch says

Nice article on Mint Milk Spots. I have some on bullion coins but plan on keeping the coins. In a few decades after the problem is solved they may be rare and sell for a premium over just regular bullion coins.

95. Erik H says

Louis, nice analysis (and not just because my name is in it).

Like many others, I like collecting different bullion coins from world mints. Even with the high premiums over melt on coins like the silver Pandas it’s a bargain compared to collecting other “over priced” low mintage NCLT coins that are produced. If my bullion coins develope “milk slots” at lease the price depreciation isn’t as bad.

96. Louis Golino, Author says

Thanks, Erik. Good point. I’ve heard of people buying 5 oz proof Britannias that spotted, and those are
    expensive coins $500 or so issue price, and if it is the 2014 issue, retail value is about $1500-2000 today,
    so spots would definitely affect the value of something like that.

97. Don says

How do I know it’s bronze or zinc or plated zinc or brass. on 1982 cent ,any helps or info ,thx in advance

98. Don says

99. Old Big Bird says

@cagcrisp – Interesting about the 2017 ATB Silver proof sets, perhaps Mike Mizsek of HSN/CSN knows where they are LOL. Actually this is not a funny thing.

100. data dave says

I bet the 2017 ATB silver set sales number belongs to a different item. There have been data errors in the past but not so obvious.

101. data dave says

cagcrisp says
    16AN 2016 ATB SILVER UNC 5 OZ – FT MLTR 15,980 + 167

Don,

The 1982-D small date bronze is rare because it was only issued with a large date. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

103. data dave says

Don says

Don, the brass weighs 3.11 grams whereas the plated zinc weighs 2.5 grams. Look at a couple hundred and you can begin to tell the difference without a scale.

Don,

It is possible to eventually get to the point of being able to feel or hear the difference between the 1982 cents, but even I use a scale for these because the difference is almost undetectable. All of the 1982 cents have the same look, only the weight will be different.

I’ve just bought a book entitled “Pendulum”, by Roy H. Williams & Michael R. Drew. I’m going to attempt to find a trend in coin collecting which hopefully can indicate an upswing in the numismatics hobby. The problem being is that it may be too many years before such a trend is at it’s peak. My hope is to just understand where we are at this point and where we are going.

106. cagcrisp says

@data dave, “16AN 2016 ATB SILVER UNC 5 OZ – FT MLTR 15,980 + 167

Wow, this issue is sucking wind. While it has passed the 3 lowest sales, Hawaii (14,863), Acadia (14,978) and Denali (15,225) it still hasn’t caught Chickasaw (16,827). There is a large pack of 8 issues between Chickasaw and Great Basin (17,792), and if this issue fails to reach that level it could signal weak interest for all of the 2017 issues.”

Yep. This is One of my two Silver observations from yesterday’s sales number.

1. Yes the 5 oz. P puck is sucking wind
    2. The uncirculated Silver Lion club is sucking wind

Last year we saw some All-time Lows set by some of the NPS coins. The uncirculated was Not one of the All-time Lows because Lows in the Silver dollar were set years ago and quite frankly will be hard to break. HOWEVER, Sales of the NPS Silver uncirculated were dismal dismal dismal…

…And Now we have the uncirculated Silver Lion that after 4 weeks of sales is Trailing the NPS uncirculated Silver by 14%.

…So you had Dismal sales last year for the NPS uncirculated Silver and arguably the Strongest of the two commemorative Silvers and yet…

…The Lions club is even worse

The combination of the Dismal sales numbers for the 5 oz. P puck Fort Moultrie and the Dismal sales numbers for the Lions club uncirculated Silver does Not bode well for what the Mint is putting out.

The animal cracker 5 oz. P puck is next in line and the BT Silvers are next in line and with the headwinds created by Fort Moultrie and the Lions club Silver I only imagine how bad sales will be for the animal cracker 5 oz. P puck and the BT coins both Gold and Silver.

Not good IF you’re the Mint looking for sales and these items are leading into your 2017 “all in” HR…

107. Louis Golino, Author says

For anyone interested, my piece on milk spots made it on the Mint’s daily e-mail of key press articles that goes to the top management, CCAC, etc.

108. Just Another Dave In Pa says

Thanks, Louis, for another excellent article. I’m glad it’s receiving the recognition it deserves and I hope it encourages various mints to find a solution.

I bought the Queen’s Beasts 2 oz silver bullion coins and almost immediately put them in the deep x38mm capsules with the foam ring. It’s not a perfect fit but I hope it’s enough to prevent milk spots and oxidation. I probably won’t look at them again until the next issue in the series comes out so I’ll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

109. Louis Golino, Author says

Thanks, Dave in PA. My first beasts (lions) definitely had some spots and quite a few marks, but the griffins were much better.
    I wish someone would do a well-designed survey of say 1,000 people who buy modern silver coins and see what they say about this issue because I hate relying on anecdotes.

110. Louis Golino, Author says

If you are interested in the Southern Sky domed gold coin, APMEX has them for several hundred less than the mint’s price, but when the current batch, which went from about 50 to 17 over the last day, is gone, the price will go up. I think this is one of those modern coins that will do well. Only 750 made, first in a 2-coin series, very popular theme and well you know what the silver Crux did. Plus very few in the US market since many sold down under or in Europe and Asia. And unique- the first domed star constellation coin ever and first 1 oz gold domed coin since the French one from 2009 was smaller and had color. APMEX should give me a discount!!

111. joe#2 says

Louis? I guess that piece for that price must be in B U condition. (The 2017 Australia 1 oz $100 Gold Southern Sky Domed Proof.)

112. data dave says

@ Old Big Bird – was trying to see if they took down the Shawnee quarters since they started selling the Effigy quarters but it doesn’t look like it yet. Frustrating thing is that they still show the Blue Ridge quarters until you get all the way to the end, rather than showing them sold out on the main web page. Whoever runs that site is pretty sloppy.

I wonder if the 2017 ATB silver proof set sales are real and they accidentally took some orders when they were not supposed to. Luckily its not a limited item.

113. Just Another Dave In Pa says

Maybe they’ve already processed subscription orders? 900 some sounds about right?

It would be interesting to know how many subscription orders exist for each product.

I have subscriptions for the 5 oz ATB quarter and the silver proof sets and the ASE proof and uncirculated coins,

114. Throckmorton says

Louis, I enjoyed your article on milk spots. Do you think that maybe the mints should be looking at a more water soluble cleaning agent that would have a better chance of being rinsed off?

Also, would you mind addressing the issue of what I’ll call “bronzing” of gold coins in PCGS holders? I have several mint items including a UHR that were graded by PCGS and began to exhibit the discoloration within a year of being slabbed. I’m sure I am not the only one to experience the phenomena.

PCGS holders suck…I heard the new ones are much uch better but back in the day, they turned everything…Now, if only we would get the rainbow effect like on the old morgans held in the plastic flip sheets..

Maybe the surge in “antiquing” has been a way to sway from spotting…RCM is the worst though, I see it all the time on their bullion.

The domed gold is sold out at the Mint’s sight with APMEX charging a hefty $500+ premium over spot. If anyone has an extra $500??

118. Louis Golino, Author says

@Throckmorton- This has come up repeatedly here as many have had the same experience. Thankfully, my UHR is fine but I have had pcgs coins do the same. It is something with the holders, but I do not know what causes it. None of my NGC coins have had this issue. I will not have any modern US gold graded by pcgs as a result.