Upcoming ATB Quarter Products Feature New US Mint Branding

In August, a new “brand promise and identity” was announced for the United States Mint. The new branding will be used on a product for the first time in November when it appears on the three upcoming America the Beautiful Quarters sets.

The brand promise is “Connecting America through Coins” and includes a logo depicting a gold colored coin flipping through the air. The motto “E Pluribus Unum” is visible on the edge of the coin, with stars and stripes on the face of the coin.
When the new branding was announced, it was stated that it would be used on the 2011 annual sets released in January 2011. Based on product images on the US Mint’s website, the branding will make an earlier appearance on the America the Beautiful Quarters three coin set, circulating coin set, and uncirculated coin set, scheduled for release on November 17, 19, and 23.

The new branding was developed based on four objectives: “to strengthen the identity and level of awareness with the public, to increase sales of collectible coins, to increase the uptake and use of dollar coins and develop and further build a reputation for the organization as the only legal manufacturer of American coins.”

As I have mentioned before, these upcoming quarter sets are priced rather expensively, and the coins are available cheaper through other currently available products. Nonetheless, now I suppose I will buy at least one of each to see the newly designed packaging first hand.

Comments

1. vaughnster says

Looks like their new packaging exhibits a sharper strike than many of the coins the Mint spits out.

2. Anonymous says

Oooooooo aaaaaaah!!! New packaging. Now I get it. I couldn't feel any better than if I just soiled my shorts.

3. Anonymous says

I miss my eagle reverse on the quarter!
    Tea Party needs to put an end to this circuis coinage! Rediculous!

4. Anonymous says

Stop whining.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Some folks have nothin better than to complain.

Where is the Mr. Moy pain in the …?

5. vaughnster says

What does the pics on the packaging have to do with how the "strikes" actually look?
    November 5, 2010 6:38 PM

It's called sarcasm. I'll be buying a few of these myself.

6. Anonymous says

The vast majority of the general public has never visited the US Mint website. If the Mint really wants to promote the ATB quarters, they should distribute them like they did the State quarters. Once people start getting them in pocket change, interest will grow.

7. Anonymous says

Most folks I talk to about the state or atb quarters think it is a joke (circus coinage) and want the old simple quarter design back. the new designs likely make less collectors than before, not more.

8. Anonymous says

Mr. "Stop whining":

Michael created a numismatic blog for hobbiests to voice their thoughts about USMint products. By design, this blog site will express views, positive and negative about Mint products. Please feel free to not participate with the blog if it bothers you when people "whine".

I'm excited to puchase the Silver proof Eagle (thanks Ed Moy). I'm looking forward to the Mary Lincoln (even if pricy). I too think 100+ quarter designs in 20 years is excessive and goes against basic priciples of collecting.

9. Anonymous says

Don't forget, P and D mints. Plus proofs. And silver proofs. And uncirculated. If one wanted to have one of every US quarter and variation of it since the state coin program started, how many would that be?

Then in the future, you have even more parks, with all of the versions and mint marks, plus the 5oz silver versions. God help you if they release proof and uncirculated versions of *those*.

Anyone want to guess how many quarters you will have to get if you want one of every variation, from the beginning of the state quarter program to the end of the parks? Plus how much money it would cost, counting the piles of silver you need to get?

Now throw in the different packaging of each, if you care. Why not, you are already buying so much, what's a little more for the same quarters with different plastic, cardboard and ink around them?

If I collected US quarters, I don't think I'd have a lot of fun collecting all of this. I would be praying they get every 5oz coin perfect and don't miss any edge lettering on any of them, so that I don't have to find any variations on those.

10. The Dude says

Due to the new packaging, the US Mint Dudes will likely use this as an excuse to DOUBLE the sales price for the 2011 sets!

11. Anonymous says

So many new quarters, so confused – mint, circulating, uncirculated, proof, silver proof, P&D, 5 ouncers ???? Who cares anymore. Too much noise. Tired of this circus already.

12. Anonymous says

New packaging but is there anything different with the coins? Will anyone be able to tell the ATB circulating coins from those in the sets or the uncirculated ones from the mint set? If not then whats the big deal, new packaging, wow.

13. Anonymous says

The chaos in our coinage reflects the chaos in our government. Capitalism has become obscene.

14. Anonymous says

Stop the madness! Over 500 varieties of quarters from 1999-2021! Help, we are sinking!

New packaging, wtf!

15. Anonymous says

I think I'm in for the siver quarters–good enough, at least they're made with something that should retain its value over time.

16. Anonymous says

There really is only one mint set that has tremendously gone up in value in the past 50+ years, the 1999 silver proof. This is actually an"Emperor's New Clothes" set, as it is super common, and one day the value may rapidly fall to "melt" when collectors realize this.
    Point is – collect mint sets if you like them since overall they are not good investments.

17. Anonymous says

Whine, whine, whine.

Peeps here have nothing better to do than whine. I guess if the Mint made an easy to get coin that tripled in price, peeps would stop whinin.

But that aint gonna happen. Better to find money makin oppertunities somewhere else.

18. Anonymous says

Stick to gold and silver issues from the mint and you will be ok. The other stuff is junk. This week in fact looks like a good time to buy as prices seem likely to go up. I still cant believe gold and silver are this high!

19. Anonymous says

Clad Proof 50
    Silver Proof 50
    SMS P 20
    SMS D 20
    Set Size (Total) 240
    Rate (Varieties/Year) 24.0

DC & Territories Quarters:(1 Year)
    [2009]

SMS D 6
    5 Ounce Silver 50
    Set Size (Total) 262
    Rate (Varieties/Year) 26.2

20. Anonymous says

Quarter Dollar Trends

Yearly Set Size (Rate of Change)
    584.64% ▲ (Wash vs. SHQ)
    872.97% ▲ (Wash vs. DC/UST)
    608.11% ▲ (Wash vs. ATBQ)

21. Anonymous says

I can't afford to build a complete set of quarters anymore. I have so much statehood quarter stuff – I don't know what to do with it all. Out of it all, the 1999, 2009, & 2010 Silver proof sets are the only things worth having. The rest of it is worthless junk.

22. Anonymous says

1999-2019: 538 different quarters.
    1979-1998: 67 different quarters.
    Percent Change +702.98%

This represents massive set sizes for the quarter collector. How many different Morgans are there? How many different Walkers are there? How many different Wheat cents are there?

Another problem brewing in the hobby is the presidential dollars. None of these are silver. So, everyone of these coins will be worthless, except for the ones missing their edge letters and the SMS'. Pray for lots of errors if you are a presidential dollar collector.

23. Anonymous says

I don't care that the 5 ounce bullion is going to have QUARTER DOLLAR stamped on them; they're NOT quarters, they're bullion. Quarters don't weigh 5 ounces and measure 3 inches in diameter. I think people can safely NOT include them as a quarter variety.

Also, depending on the rumor of satin finish ending, we may have as few as 10 satin finish or as many as 100. The fact of the matter is, nobody knows. So despite all the complaining, there may end up being fewer ATB quarters than state quarters.

24. Anonymous says

Well you can believe whatever you want, but reality is the 5 oz silver versions they will officially be legal tender of 25 cents. They are quarters. If you want to ignore them that's fine, nobody cares what you do. You can just collect "normal size" quarters.

25. Anonymous says

Corrected: Excluding 5oz. Silver²

ATB Quarters:(10 Years)
    [2010-2019]

Business Strike P 50
    Business Strike D 50
    Clad Proof 50
    Silver Proof 50
    SMS P 5¹
    SMS D 5¹
    Set Size (Total) 210
    Rate (Varieties/Year) 21.0 AVG¹

¹Assuming 1 year of SMS production.
    ²5 Ounce Silver ATB Quarter Dollar.

26. Anonymous says

I love the State and America the Beautiful Quarters. You can have the old stagnant designs, and I've been collecting since 1960. The AtB quarters should be in circulation if they truly represent the parks for the people. They'll eventually get into circulation and then they'll catch on.

27. Anonymous says

The Statehood Quarters were great, however, I think the Mint should of taken a five break between them and the ATB program.

28. Anonymous says

Folks that like the ATB quarters are the same folks that want expansion of the NBA or more NHL teams in the playoffs. More is not better.

29. Anonymous says

With price increases next week, I wonder if the Mary Lincoln may not end up selling out.

I wonder if the '10 AGE fractionals may end up being sleepers if production is cut off in the next few months???

30. Anonymous says

ASE only been on order for 2 years!

Greetings from the United States Mint.
    We regret to inform you that the item(s) listed below
    are currently on backorder. Please expect your item(s)
    to arrive within the timeframe listed below.
    Haven't been officially released and on back order – What a way to run a business.

31. Anonymous says

It's a bummer that the Mint is going to be selling 5 oz. silver quarters at today's prices when the silver was undoubtedly bought months ago for at least $10/oz. less. I was ready to buy them when silver was $18/oz. Now, they aren't nearly as appealing as they were last summer. I feel cheated, having my opportunity snatched away from me like that.

WHAT THE HECK IS THE HOLDUP? WHY CAN'T THEY DECIDE ON A PREMIUM ALREADY?! HOW HARD IS IT?!

32. Anonymous says

Looking at my subscriptions for proof silver eagles the mint says that the next in the series is 2011!! Does this mean that a subscription that you already had will not be honored for the release of the 2010's?? What do you think Michael, for if it not honored for the upcoming release on Nov. 19 will I have to order then–I'd hate to order then my subscriptions come in and end up with way more eagles than wanted…