US Mint Circulating Coin Production August 2011

For the month of August 2011, the United States Mint struck 604.54 million coins for circulation at the Philadelphia and Denver facilities. This amount is down from the previous month’s total of 821.98 million and also down from the year ago period when 743.78 million coins were struck.

For the year to date, circulating coin production has now reached more than 5.55 billion. The total annual production for the 2010 calendar year was 6.37 billion.

Included below are production figures broken down by denomination and mint facility. The first number column represents production for August 2011, while the second number represents year to date production through August 31, 2011.

August 2011 YTD 2011
Kennedy Half – Phil. 0 1.75 M
Native Am Dollar – Denver 5.04 M 23.10 M
Native Am Dollar – Phil. 1.96 M 11.62 M
Pres Dollar – Denver 0 111.86 M
Pres Dollar – Phil. 0 111.30 M
Total 604.54 M 5,550.53 M

As is usually the case, the cent accounted for more than half of all production, with 384.40 million cents produced across both facilities. More than 3.2 billion cents have been produced for the year to date.

Relatively steady production of nickels and dimes continued, as has been the case throughout the year.

The Philadelphia and Denver Mint stuck 5.8 million and 8.2 million quarters, respectively. This appears to represent additional production of the Vicksburg Quarter, which was released on August 18. Total preliminary production figures for this coin were also provided.

As an interesting change, the US Mint struck Native American Dollars for the first time since March 2011, while no Presidential Dollars were produced during the month. Under current law, it is required that 20% of all dollar coins struck during the year are Native American Dollars. The current production totals have the amount at only 15.55%.

The US Mint had requested legislation that would remove the production requirement for the series. Instead, five separate bills were introduced in Congress, which primarily seek to abolish or limit the production of Presidential Dollars. All of these bills were referred to committee and have not been voted on yet.

2011 US Mint Coin Production by Design
Denver Phil. Total
Gettysburg Quarter 30.80 M 30.40 M 61.20 M
Glacier Quarter 31.20 M 30.40 M 61.60 M
Olympic Quarter 30.60 M 30.40 M 61.00 M
Vicksburg Quarter 33.40 M 30.80 M 64.20 M
Andrew Johnson Dollar 37.10 M 35.56 M 72.66 M
Ulysses S. Grant Dollar 37.94 M 38.08 M 76.02 M
Rutherford Hayes Dollar 36.82 M 37.66 M 74.48 M

The US Mint has provided new production figures by coin design. Once production of a particular design has been completed, the US Mint typically provides the total production level for that design. The figures provided for Presidential Dollars are typically the final mintages, whereas the US Mint reserves the right to restart production of any America the Beautiful Quarter design within the year of issue.

The Vicksburg National Military Park Quarter had total production of 64.20 million coins. This is slightly above the levels for the other 2011 designs, but below the production levels of the 2010 designs.

Across nine separate designs, the US Mint has now produced 595 million America the Beautiful Quarters. This amount is still below the total production for the first issue of the State Quarters Program- the Delaware Quarter had production of more than 774 million.

The production figures for the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Dollar were provided as 74.48 million across both facilities. This is down from the level for the previous design featuring Ulysses S. Grant, but above the level of the current lowest mintage issue of the series featuring Andrew Johnson.

Comments

1. stephen m. says

Ditto ClevelandRocks. I’ve received two ATB’s in change. I live in Georgia and would think most people haven’t seen or really know anything about them. The mint is typical government and is slow about makeing the public aware of them but will eventually, somehow, fix this problem and more will be in ciculation. The sooner the better for the ATB program.

I’ll third this sentiment. Finding AtBs is very tough in my area. I have been found three circulating due to a mix of persistence and luck. The average person does not know this series exists, I have been educating all the guys at work and they always tell me they can never find these.

I’d love to know where all these billions of pennies are going to. Are they being warehoused like the $1 coins or are they actually entering general circulating? I’ve seen several 2011 pennies, but are all 3.2 billion cents really circulating?

The Mint clearly needs to do a better PR/advertising job about ATB quarters, pennies, 9/11 medals and ATB 5 ouncers — all of which the public might be into if they knew about them. Only we coin collectors know about this stuff. But don’t do an ad like the one a couple years ago which suggested collectors are a bunch of weirdos! Do you all remember those?

4. Tom P. says

Sadly, it looks like coins are going the way of stamps. 10 years ago a mintage of 60 million of a certain design of quarters would have produced a mad scramble with everyone looking for that certain type of quarter. Today, only yawns.

As a coin collector I almost never use change to pay for an item and still check through my change like I was a kid 40 years ago. I still do not have a 2009 nickel. I come across US Territory quarters and ATB quarters on average of 1 per week. They come in spurts. 6 one day and nothing for the rest of the month.

Dollar coins are a huge waste of time. They’re all in storage. Unless the gov’t melts all the useless dollars in storage, they are certain to decrease in value. I purposely put too many dollars into the Boston transit system machines to get dollar coins back, and they still are using 2000 Sacs.

Gold and silver are the way to go, but if you are young and broke, collect copper pennies and nickels. They are illegal to melt, but in a few years that should pass. Especially after they either stop minting them or go to Canada’s system of plated steel coins.

5. Michael says

To provide a counterpoint to some of the comments, maybe it is not really a PR or public awareness problem, but simply the overuse of the concept of rotating designs on circulating coinage- which is mandated by Congress.

In 2009, I wrote an op-ed at the height of the circulating coin design theme when there were more rotating designs than static designs.

When the State Quarters series was introduced, the concept was novel and fresh and naturally caught the attention of the public. Trying to re-use the same tactic again and again will eventually wear thin.

My conclusion from back then, fresh interpretations of Liberty on static designs, would surely evoke some renewed public interest.

6. ClevelandRocks says

I was reading Michael’s article on Coin Update on the Lucy Hayes coin and couldn’t help but noticing her image looks very similar to the image of Susan B. Anthony, one of the most undesirable coins ever. Both images can be seen on the homepage of Coin Update (link on top of page). Lucy and Susan B. Look like sisters!

7. ClevelandRocks says

I 100% agree with Michael’s NYTimes article. Our country needs pride and stability. I’m in numismatic overload!

Pray for the victims of 9/11 and their families this weekend.

For circulating coinage, Michael may be right, but my real point about advertising was that the public has never seen or heard of things like the 9/11 medals yet they are making 2 million of them, which they can never sell to coin collectors. How do they expect the public to buy them if they don’t know they exist? Same with the 5 ounce coins esp. the bullion versions.
    For rotating desings, I agree the concept has been overdone on quarters, but I and many other people like the rotating Native American dollar designs and though I can’t afford to collect them, the changing platinum reverses are a good idea too.

9. MarkInFlorida says

Here in Florida I don’t see any new quarters. You’d think a few would come in with tourists.

And very few new pennies. Where are the billions and billions of pennies made every year? No one is hoarding them for metal value. Is everyone putting them in a big jug at home. I used to do that, now I roll them up when I have a cup full.

10. BigHock says

I agree that the stale approach to marketing is what is harming the mint. They are good at running the coin presses, and on a postive note, I think have actually touched more artistic contacts to produce a plethora of designs. However, the marketing of it has been a rewind-play-rewind-play approach that has not served them well. As they are printing more money than ever, why not use some of it to market the fascinating world of coinage and its ties to history preservation? I think this would serve all of us well.

11. jimmy says

—————————— Denver—– Phil.
    Gettysburg Quarter– 30.80 M— 30.40 M
    Glacier Quarter——– 31.20 M— 30.40 M
    Olympic Quarter—— 30.60 M— 30.40 M
    Vicksburg Quarter— 33.40 M— 30.80 M
    total———————– 126.00 M–122.00 M

but then the report also shown:
    philadelphia total quarter at 122.40 M
    denver total quarter at ——- 125.60 M

so there is a discrepancy of 400,000 piece.

I have NOT seen ONE of the Parks quarters in our area. I live in So. California and so where are they being sent for the public to be able to get some to collect—other than ordering from the Mint? I have asked repeatedly at all of the BANKS in our area and they say that they cannot order them and have not gotten any. This for almost TWO years now. Also I have asked for the 2011 pennies and they say they don’t have them either. Frustrating.

13. mjinden says

I guess I’m lucky living in Denver because, though not frequently, I have come across a fair number of the ATB quarters- typically a year behind but still I’ve been able to collect most of them.

14. Stuart says

The challenge the US Mint faces is that if a coin is too popular, it won’t circulate. I remember the first Kennedy halves — everyone wanted to hold onto them and few circulated. Of course, there were other factors causing people to hold them…. But it certainly is a legitimate point….

15. MarkInFlorida says

This weekend I went to a coin show and got the 2007 and 2008 bullion gold eagles that my collection was missing. The 2007 is a slabbed MS 70 and cost just $5 more than the 2008 which came in a flip. With a magnifier, the 2008 has more lines of detail in the design, so the 2007 must be weakly struck. This is not mentioned on the slab which only says “EARLY RELEASE.”

So I cracked the slab open and put it in a flip. Saves so much room. TPG slabs: Bah!

16. MarkInFla says

“How did you do it?”

A very sharp 1/4 inch wood chisel on the edge crack in a few places and carefully pull it apart.

I once saw a guy at a coin show do it with just a hammer and the cement floor.

17. fosnock says

Stewart, you mention the first Kennedy half as been horded but do not mention the fact that they were driven out of circulation for being 90% then 40% silver. They could have put a picture of Alfred E. Neuman or even Susan B Anthony on the coin and they still would have been horded.

As far as the ATB quarters not being collected, sure we are in mint overload, and sure the mint is not advertising but how can you not rule out the economy. People have bigger issues on their mind than looking through quarters.

The reason for the yawn at least in my case on the current low quarter mintages is because they can and do change. The mint in its desperate bid to get the mintages up by allowing the design to be rerun for bulk purchases failed to realize that any hype generated by the low mintage would disappear. Then add the fact that by the time the mintages are made permanent the newer quarter designs have already started and they have so far been lower so why generate any hype. Oh and you can not just go out and get them with the state quarter series a bank could designate what type of quarters they wanted this is no longer the case, I suspect just like the dollar program that State Quarters were sitting in warehouses, and that this was put in place to empty the warehouse, but it does nothing for circulating the ATB quarters, but it does make you wonder what the real demand was for the State Quarters.

18. Broooster says

Fosnock, If you are implying that the banks can no long order quarters, I will have to disagree with that. I have a local bank in my area that orders the ATB quarters and they have managed to get a case or two for every release so far. Naturally, they know that these are well collected by the rolls, and they limit how many rolls an individual can walk in and get. There are quit a few people on a calling list, so when they come in, the bank gives us a call. I think its just a matter of the banks WANTING to get them.

Plenty of those nice state quarter collections are now turning up in circulation. People realized it was a gimmick, filled their map book (maybe) then dumped them into the coin counter when things got tight.

Even if the ATB’s were heavily promoted, it would be the same. Sure a few people collect them, but these 10 year programs are a bit silly from a commercial stand point. We might as well be using Euros. Even the Westward Bound nickels program was a bust. How many have a few rolls of them and what are they worth? I do. I’m not saying one shouldn’t collect them if they like them, just don’t expect to ever see a return if that’s why you save them. I do hope the Mint returns to something more consistent after the prez dollar and ATB quarters programs finish. I don’t mind a change every 20 or 30 years. I’d like to see all the presidents gone from circulating coinage.

20. face 1004 says

Anyone have any idea why the Mint continues to make over a billion cents for Denver and Philadelphia? I can’t believe there isn’t enough for circulation.

Michael,

Good NYT article. I absolutely agree on the need for a general overhaul of our change. The redesign of the penny was a good first step, and the nickel and the dime should probably be next. The Kennedy half-dollar is approaching its 50th birthday – that would be a good excuse to change the design for that coin as well.