US Mint Circulating Coin Production for January 2014

2014-kennedyThe first circulating coin production figures of the year are now available from the United States Mint. The monthly production for January 2014 exceeded the levels of the both prior month and year ago period, and in fact marked the highest monthly total since Mint News Blog began tracking the figures in 2009.

During January 2014, the US Mint facilities at Philadelphia and Denver struck nearly 1.45 billion circulating quality coins. This was up significantly from the prior month of December 2013 when production was 245.34 million coins. It was up by 18.4% compared to the year ago period of January 2013 when production had reached 1.22 billion pieces.

The table below shows the break down of circulating coin production for each denomination at each mint facility.

2014 US Mint Coin Production Figures
Kennedy Half – Phil. 2.50 M
Native Am Dollar – Denver 5.60 M
Native Am Dollar – Phil. 3.08 M
Pres Dollar – Denver 6.30 M
Pres Dollar – Phil. 7.56 M
Total 1,449.38 M

Across both facilities, production of the cent reached 843.6 million pieces, accounting for 58.2% of all circulating coin production. Cent production is up by 25% compared to the year ago period. For the full year of 2013, the US Mint had struck more than 7 billion cents.

Overall production for the nickel was 117.84 million pieces. This was actually down slightly compared to the year ago period. The nickel is currently the most costly denomination to produce relative to its face value. The US Mint has reportedly been testing a copper plated zinc alloy for the nickel to reduce metal costs. The findings of the testing and any recommendations should be included in a biennial report due in December.

Production for both the dime and quarter rose compared to the year ago period. During the past year, the quarter has seen the strongest growth in production for any denomination produced by the United States Mint. The seigniorage generated from the denomination has helped to offset the losses from the cent and nickel and replace the previous contribution from the $1 coin.

During the month, production of the Kennedy Half Dollar was 2.1 million pieces at Denver and 2.5 million pieces at Philadelphia. The US Mint will begin sales of bags and rolls containing the circulating quality coins later this week.

Production of Native American Dollars was unexpectedly strong at 5.6 million pieces at Denver and 3.08 million pieces at Philadelphia. This already exceeds the total production of the prior year, which was 1.82 million pieces at each facility.

Presidential Dollar production was 6.30 million pieces at Denver and 7.56 million pieces at Philadelphia. Following a Treasury Department decision announced in late 2011, the $1 coins are no longer produced for distribution to circulation, but only struck in the quantities necessary to fulfill demand from collectors. Last week, the US Mint began accepting orders for bags and rolls of circulating quality Warren G. Harding Presidential Dollars.

Comments

Can anyone give me a logical reason that you would sell 3.6 million Native American Dollars in the entire year 2013 and then produce 8.7 million in January 2014?

2. Government Drone says

VAR — These are monthly mintage figures, so the question is valid. The mint seems to have made more of these dollars this month than they had sold all last calendar year.

Cag — Maybe they think the Fed will accidentally order some? By making them in advance, they can unload them before the Fed changes its mind!

3. KEITHSTER says

My bet’s on the mint got called on the %age what was it 20% or something that would put it about at what they made? The big ? is what they going to do with them I suppose they’ll get the seigniorge #s up and get more use of the new storage bldg.by putting them up with the extra halves? Then get to sit back and get a good laugh telling congress see told ya:) On the good side it should help the 2013 $NA. But it’s not looking good for the 14’s or the 2013 Kennedy’s maybe they’ll break them out in 50 years and sell them like them old CC $’s might want to get the rest of the old 13’s in NA before they go Good luck ya’ll

4. merryxmaxmrscrooge says

this is a sign the rich are getting richer while the poor have it hard
    up up and away in my beautiful my beautiful balooon

5. Erik H says

I have heard that Ecuador and other places like using the N.A. dollars. Maybe we are sending them there???? The mint would still get the seigniorage to help offset the loss from the cent & nickel.

6. Jerry Diekmann says

Can’t we just retire Presidents on our coins when the years the coins have been minted exceed the years the men actually lived? I admire the presidents on our coins, but they have lasted too long – too much of a good thing, so to speak. All of the presidents except Jefferson could be replaced now, if this suggestion was followed Jefferson lived to the ripe old age of 83, so his time would be up in 2021, the same year the ATB quarters will be finished. Time for new images on our coins, like Liberty. Just an idea.

7. Face 1004 says

I totally agree but not just bring Liberty back. Maybe actually put Americans other than Presidents. Like the mint did in the past with Ben Franklin and now with the N.A. dollar.

8. Nick says

Hey off topic, does anybody know anything about star notes? I have a 20$ star note that seems to me as the only one of its kind. I looked up the series year and types and the one I have is not on the list. I have a 20$ series 2006 e5 note. The classifications are [A-1,E-1,F-1,F-2,F-3,G-1,G-2,G-3,G-4,K-1,L-1,L-2,L-3]. What does it mean that I have one that is not known?

9. Jerry Diekmann says

Face 1004 – I had made that suggestion on an earlier post and was criticized for it – someone thought I was making a joke – I wasn’t. There are a lot of deserving people who could be placed on circulating coins so everyone would have a chance to learn about them. Presidents aren’t supermen – well, maybe a few were, but most of them have already been honored on coins. A couple who haven’t, and should be, are James K. Polk, our 11th president, and credited by historians as the greatest one-term president in our country’s history, and Teddy Roosevelt – put him on a coin that actually circulates. I would skip Andrew Jackson for his treatment of native Americans and his support for slavery.- he’s been on the $20.00 bill way too long anyway.

10. Sith says

Anyone who single handily destroyed a central bank gets my respect. As far as the rest, coins are made as an exchange of value they are not educational tools. We honor people with commemorative coins. I’m sure I will hear arguments that the presidential dollars and State\ATB quarters prove it can be done but both of those programs are neutral.The fact that every state or president gets a coin regardless of politics or political affiliation. Oh and you like Polk who single handily dragged us into war with Mexico by ordering the Army to occupy the Rio Grande, he was so bad and the war so controversial that Lincoln quit politics for a few years in disgust.

11. Face 1004 says

Sith- Heaven forbid you might learn something from a coin. Sorry, but that was one of the reasons I started collecting in the first place. Not just for the silver.

Nick,

All of the $20 bills printed for the Richmond VA Federal Reserve Bank have “E5” on them. Richmond is the 5th Federal Reserve Bank in the system, and E is the fifth letter of the alphabet which is how the notes from each Federal Reserve Bank are numbered. What you’re referring to as the clasifications of the star notes actually means the Federal Reserve bank and print run. There was only one print run of Series 2006 $20 star notes for Richmond VA, in July of 2010. The serial number range of that single print run is from IE 00000001* through IE 02432000*.

In addition to the Richmond star notes, there was one print run for Boston MA (A), three print runs for Atlanta GA (F), four print runs for Chicago IL (G), one print run for Dallas TX (K) and three print runs for San Francisco CA (L). All of those bills carry the designations A1, F6, G7, K11 or L12, regardless of which star note print run for that bank they were a part of.

See the website link below for where I got all of that information. I found that site a few years ago, and have kept a bookmark to it ever since.

13. Blair J Tobler says

Nick – I’m not a currency collector, but I do have a book on small notes, and the star notes are always worth more than the regulars, but it’s usually the crisp ones that get the dough (so to speak).

Nick,

Since it only had one print run, the Richmond $20 star notes from series 2006 is one of the better ones. However, like Blair said it’s the uncirculated notes that fetch the bucks. If yours is circulated, it’s really only worth face value.

The best star notes from any series or denomination are the ones that had only one SHORT print run, either 640,000 notes or better yet 320,000. Those can bring in some big time money when uncirculated. It’s tragic how most don’t notice or care about the star in the serial number, and just spend the bills like normal. I once saw someone offering a star note with serial number 00000027* on eBay that looked like absolute crap. It was amazing how much that one must have been spent before someone who actually knew it was special got a hold of it! It would have been worth a ton if it had been uncirculated.

15. Sith says

Face 1004 – Its been a long time since silver has circulated, once again those are commemorative coins.

16. Paul says

Can someone please explain to me why the Mint needs to make billions of cents every year? In the last ten years there have been minted about 100 billion cents. Where are they? Do people just throw them away? Why can’t they make say 100 million a year? I imagine they could not make any for ten years and there would still be more than enough available. If you go back 20 years, there are about 200 BILLION cents available. It just boggles my mind. I am not saying get rid of the cent, but how many is enough? Can anyone give me a definitive answer?

As long as there are orders the Mint will make them, that’s how I see it, I don’t know how it can be more complicated than that.
    On a side note, gold sure loves Chairperson Yellen!
    Price looks like it’s heading towards $1300.

18. Sith says

CO, The 2015 America the Beautiful Quarter and 5 Oz Coin Design Candidates
    2015 America the Beautiful Quarter and 5 Oz Coin Design Candidates are also out.

CO, That’s exciting that the Mint would create a duplicate in gold, but I’m more inclined to believe the Mint would make a variation, which would be fine as long as they don’t move too far away from the original design.

20. Sith says

@Paul – Old topic, their is no definitive answer but the conciseness is people are hording the old pennies in the hopes of one day melting them down, and people throwing them away after all they have no purchasing power.

Sith,

Regarding cents having no purchasing power, that’s not entirely true. In April 2012 I bought a replacement bolt and thumb screw for one of my riding lawn mower battery terminals at Rural King. The cost? Exactly one cent. I saved that receipt as proof that I could provide anytime anyone made the statement “You can’t buy anything for a penny anymore!”

22. Wes says

CO thanks, I like both versions why not do both? also noticed the W mint mark which is what someone else had hoped. That should help with any confusion on E Bay. So would the dual dates.

23. VARich says

Brad – what’s your thoughts on the AUDCS? Just kinda peter’ed out once surpassing 30k.., think we’ll be in for a long wait? Surely it’ll be laid to rest at 31-32k.

24. Brian says

There is precedent for the dual dates from the Bicentennial half dollar. So I think I prefer that design.

25. smiledon says

I wish that the mint could make 4 of the Kennedy coins. Each coin made from each mint while each is made differently. Like one is proof, another is reverse proof, another is UHR, and the last is made with all the different laser finishes. Make them out of 99.99% silver, and you could have a nice set. Not too expensive, while being worth more than the standard coins.

26. Wes says

I don’t see any dimensions so I think it would be same as current Half dollar struck in .999 gold.

VARich,

It all depends on how many of the 2013-W ASE coins the Mint had left to divert to additional AUDCS production. It seems the initial run was 25,000 sets. If the Mint had struck about 200,000 of the 2013-W ASE coins intended for individual sales, after factoring in unsellable returns there may have been enough left to allow for the production of 20,000 additional dollar coin sets given the sales figure of just under 179,000 singles. So, it could be a little while before the second batch of sets is gone and it’s declared sold out. But, there’s no guarantee the second batch was 20,000 sets. It could be lower than that. It just seems like a plausible guess with the sales information we have available.

Because of the second batch and slower sales following, the 2013 set will definitely lack the appeal of the 2012. But, it’s value may be rescued somewhat if the overall mintage of the ASE W coin is a new low, as it very well could be. So, don’t sweat it if you’re sitting on a few sets. It won’t be a bad one to have.

Samuel,

My guess is they will make something approximating the physical size and shape of a standard Kennedy half dollar. I am interested in both the dimensions and overall weight myself, but unfortunately that wasn’t included. Hopefully we will get more details soon.

Also agree with Brian’s reasoning per the bicentennial pieces, I think 1964-2014 would be a bit better.

I wonder if they will attempt an uncirculated variety of the gold half dollar too.

Brad, do you write? You’re very well worded, your comments are so easy to read and they flow so well. You should know that you bring a sense of understanding to your readers.
    My opinion of the 2013-W ASE is that the Mint made a larger initial batch. What’s funny to me as well, is the fact that they have fallen flat all of a sudden. I don’t think the Mint saw these lower sells coming.

The two dates on the half really would be all that’s needed to differentiate from the original design if the Mint does decide to produce the gold half.

@ Eddie, I agree completely. For some reason using a dual date seems to draw away from the Kennedy design and draw you to the date. Single 2014 date for me.

Dusty,

Thanks for the compliment! I’m not a writer by trade, but I do pride myself on doing my part to help preserve the written English language in this world of “OMG”, “LOL” and “ROTFLMAO” we live in today! 🙂