US Mint Circulating Coin Production May 2014

pennyThe United States Mint’s circulating coin production figures are available through the month of May 2014. The preliminary production total for the 2014 Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Dollar has also been provided.

During May 2014, the US Mint facilities at Philadelphia and Denver struck 1.33 billion circulating quality coins. This was up from the prior month when production had reached just over 1 billion pieces and also up from the year ago period of May 2013 when production had reached 1.08 billion pieces.

Total production for the year has reached 5.75 billion pieces, up by 8.7% compared to the year ago period.

The table below includes a breakdown of circulating coin production figures by denomination and mint facility for May 2014, along with total production levels for the year to date.

2014 US Mint Coin Production Figures
Kennedy Half – Phil. 0 2.50 M
Native Am Dollar – Denver 0 5.60 M
Native Am Dollar – Phil. 0 3.08 M
Pres Dollar – Denver 0.84 M 15.26 M
Pres Dollar – Phil. 0 19.88 M
Total 1,326.80 M 5,748.58 M

During the month there were 799.2 billion cents struck, accounting for more than 60% of overall production. There have now been nearly 3.4 billion cents produced for the year to date.

The monthly production levels for the nickel, dime, and quarter were each a bit higher than the recent typical monthly ranges. Year over year comparisons show the total production of nickels and dimes roughly flat with the prior year, and the production of quarters showing a gain.

A minor amount of Presidential Dollars rounded out production for the month.

United States Mint Deputy Director Richard Peterson recently delivered testimony to the House Financial Services Committee with regards to circulating coinage. He stressed the fact that an overall basis, the US Mint’s portfolio of coinage denominations delivered positive seigniorage and the continuing importance of coinage as part of the Nation’s financial fabric. With regards to potential changes in metallic compositions, he mentioned that it is highly unlikely that the cost of minting and issuing the penny would ever fall below one cent. He stressed effective communication as the key to success in any coinage changes and discussed the recent meetings with stakeholders and solicitation of comments from the  public.

No specific recommendations for changes to circulating coinage were suggested. This will likely remain the case until the delivery of the required biennial report to Congress this December.

Production totals by design for the America the Beautiful Quarters and Presidential Dollars programs appear below. These production totals should be considered preliminary until the close of the year. In a few instances, the US Mint has restarted production for certain designs based on demand and production capacity.

2014 US Mint Coin Production by Design
Denver Phil. Total
Great Smoky Mountains 99.40 M 73.20 M 172.60 M
Shenandoah 197.80 M 112.80 M 310.60 M
Warren G. Harding 3.78 M 6.16 M 9.94 M
Calvin Coolidge 3.78 M 4.48 M 8.26 M
Herbert Hoover 3.78 M 4.48 M 8.26 M
Franklin D. Roosevelt 3.92 M 4.76 M 8.68 M

As noted, a preliminary production total has been added for the 2014 Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Dollar with 3.92 million pieces struck at the Denver Mint and 4.76 million pieces struck at the Philadelphia Mint for an overall total of 8.68 million. These figure show slight gains compared to the prior two designs, but remain below the levels for the first design of the year honoring Warren G. Harding.

Comments

1. MarkInFlorida says

They must be making pennies just to keep unionized Mint workers busy now that they can’t make unused dollars any more.

2. W says

Mark,

I disagree. I think they are making more pennies because its the only coin in circulation that has a fairly high percentage of coins with a higher copper value than the newer ones. Given the scrap value of the pre-1982 pennies still out there, it might make economic sense to do this considering the treasury is the only entity that can legally scrap the coins.

Why beat up on union workers? They make a good American product, quit making everything political.

Willie

3. KEITHSTER says

Have been looking for the Arches numbers am thinking 308,200,000 but do not know the split?Was at the bank yesterday and man were they unloading the coinage! Stopping back today hope they got the Arches in and will try to pry to see if I can get any other unc rolls?As for them making too many we need to lighten up a little as all these coins are our goodwill ambassadors to the hobby and the gateway to the newbies so get over it.Good luck to US All.

4. gary says

Only two coins, the dime and quarter have any practical usage as money. The cent is thrown away, the nickel goes to change cups and the half dollar is never seen. The dollar coins (a very good idea) have never caught on either as Ike, S B Anthony, Sacagawea and the President series. As a nation we probably have the worst line up of coin denominations, all courtesy of a hopelessly dysfunctional U.S. Congress.

5. ips_stuff says

I am just curious about the .84 dollar coins. Is that a new president mintage with very low mintage of Hoover or continuation of Coolidge

Still think number of half dollars for Denver is low, was it ever determined what was minted in the way of half dollars toward the end of 2013? was it more 2013

Thanks for insights

ot…Has anyone purchsed from Choice Bullion before? I’m thinking about getting the 7 coin 2014 Libertad Proof Set.

7. AkBob says

Hi Lo – Provident has a picture up now but they won’t sell till July 1st but you can put in for a “notify me” so you know the day they are available.

I wonder why the mint continues to over produce the cent coin… it would seem to me they could convince people to put these in circulation by making it harder to get them…and they should produce fewer to do that. Not eliminate them, just make it harder to get them and people would automatically start cashing them in…. reverse psychology 101…

9. McLovin says

Steve,

I never have ordered from Choice before yesterday. They make you sign up for an account, take paypal, but charge a surcharge with it. So I’ll be mailing a check. Haven’t heard anything good or bad about them, but we’ll see.

10. Jerry Diekmann says

I wonder what the life of a cent is anyway. Sure, you can still find a few pre-1982 cents around, but nearly all the zinc coins are so beat up within a couple of years of circulation you can hardly tell they are a cent anymore. I bet the average zinc cent doesn’t last even five years. They’re actually worse than worthless because they cost a lot of taxpayer’s money to produce them and many people just throw them away – they have zero buying power, which would be a good description of worthless. Get rid of the cent and round all purchases to 5 cents. It really isn’t that big a deal, although some people would like you to think so. Nobody is going to get gypped – it’s a zero sum game.

11. KEITHSTER says

I crunched the #’s on the S unc’s looks like Hawaii ended up at 1,409,120 Denali came in at 1.410,020 White Mountain was 1,606,900 then Perrys Victory is 1,425,860 and Great Basin should be 1,316,580 . The rest are still going but should come in close my Great Basin’s have be instock & reserved since the 10th but no movement yet? Hope that helps Good night and luck All:>:>:>

12. billb says

Mark, I agree with you whole heartedly re: the penny production. When is congress going to wake up to the waste and uselessness of this coin?

Gary, agree on the dollar coin, and dare say that if congress abolished the wasteful dollar bill the public would embrace the dollar coin (been to Europe?)

Jerry, still lots of pre 82 copper coins out there. I have a ryedale and occasionally buy a box at the bank. Running rate here (san diego area) is about 18 to 20 percent copper. Amazing how many wheats you still find, how many “reds” you still find. I found two indian head cents the other day.

13. Jerry Diekmann says

Hi, billb – you found two Indian head cents in change? Sounds like someone got into Grandpa’s coin collection. By coincidence, I was at lunch with my wife, brother, and friend today, and the friend gave me a 1912 Liberty nickel – I would say in fine or VF condition that he had come across from someone else. So I guess some of those old coins are still out there, but they were probably not meant to be.

Re the copper coins from mid 1982 and before, yes, there are still some of them out there – remember, the mint made billions of them every year going back to 1956 (and the WW II years). They tarnish differently (and are much better looking as they age) than the worthless zinc cents. Zinc is a terrible metal to use for coinage. Anyone who has completed a high school course in chemistry could tell you that zinc is much too active a metal to be used for coinage. It is attacked by everything, including even weak acids and perspiration. Aluminum would have been much cheaper to mint and would have lasted much longer, and it doesn’t tarnish like zinc does. After a couple of years of circulation the zinc cents are corroded or tarnished so badly you have trouble telling if it is a slug or a coin. I think that is why so many of them are thrown away, besides being worthless for purchasing anything. Why Congress permitted zinc coins after knowing what happened to the zinc coins of 1943 is beyond me, but can we ever expect Congress to do the right thing, or the cost-effective thing? They really don’t care about the American people anyway, so why should anyone expect them to care about the coins the American people use everyday? They’re all so rich they probably don’t even ever use change, IMO.

Forget the cost of the penny, that’s not important. The important thing is how well does the currency serves those who use it. Of course, this is not my opinion, but most likely the opinion of those in congress.

KEITHSTER, That’s a really low number. At the beginning of last year I thought the mintages would go up, looks like I was wrong. I wish the Mint would just hurry up, there shouldn’t be a wait for a roll of quarters.

15. VA Rich says

Anyone have a $5 gold BHoF order placed after 10:00 pm on 3/27 with any activity? Date change? IS&R status?

I have a late day 3/28 and 3/30 order that’s been in lock down on 6/30 since mid-April. Arches did the ole two-step and is back in July (again).

16. VA Rich says

Morn’n Cag, can you forward the total number of $5 in opg sold to-date, and the weekly price average for the last two weeks please? I’d like to use those numbers along with the graded numbers for a snap shot in time and make a comparison again in four weeks, I’m thinking what occurs over the next several weeks with 90-95% of the golds shipped will be foretelling of things to come. I’ll post anything insightful that may come of it.

17. billb says

VA Rich…
    I have orders for multiple BHOF proof placed on 3-29, midday. Same status, showing cancel button, ‘backordered’, and expected to ship 6-30. I am not holding my breath!

I had a Clad Proof HOF ship, nothing else. Ordered 3/30….I keep getting these new pennies everyday! They look cool because they are throwback design but that is it! BYE BYE penny please…Some savvy collectors are able to pick up their packages from a PO Box without signing. I sent a shipment requiring a signature and all went well but I was never able to confirm they signed. Where this is a will there is a way to stay anonymous…

Spot silver breaking $20 and seems up up up but we all know lately it will go down down down after Iraq mess..

20. stephen m says

billb, we found a 1954D wheatie on the ground by an old house last weekend. It was pretty well crusted up. I put it in some vinegar in a cap off a milk jug overnight.(didn’t know how else to clean it) It came out clean and copper looking. It seems people had little use for the cent for some time now and was thrown to the ground or it was lost. The wheat cents do age attractively.

21. Clark says

VaRich–I placed some long shot $5 BHoF orders after the wait list went up just to see what the mint would do. I didn’t cancel, of course, and will be happy of one of the two orders comes through:

3/27 @11:16 pm $5 prf backordered 6/30
    3/27 @11:17 pm $5 unc backordered 6/30
    3/28 @ 2:34 pm $5 unc backordered 6/30

@VA Rich,
    total number of $5 in opg sold to-date = 498
    average selling price 06/05-06/11 = $805.24; item count =127; High $1125.00; Low $699.99
    average selling price 06/12-06/18 11:14AM = $733.38; item count 150; High $899.95; Low $600.00

In my search criteria I exclude ‘presale’. I threw out a sale of $1850 and a sale of $100 on 06/05. If there is a sale of Gold, Silver and clad all together I back into the Gold price by using the ‘going price’ for Silver and clad. Prices include shipping.

23. Blair J Tobler says

Mint site has added July releases – Harding and Coolidge First Spouses, as well as BHOF Young Collectors Set have been listed

24. KEITHSTER says

Now for the rest of the story on your S mint unc #’s Eagle One seems Acadia sold the same amount as the Hawii to the coin 1,409,120 Chaco sold 1,388,940 and El Yunque sold the most so far at 1,680,140. So there’s your #’s if thats what you were looking for? Ya Dustyroads I hear ya but this new fufillment center seems to play it a little different I’m sure they ran out and are waiting for a shipment from San Fran. And now that they have us waiting for everything nothing to get excited about as they are reserved. So Good Luck All:>:>:>

The 2014 National Baseball Hall of Fame Young Collector’s Set is on the schedule for 07/28/14. I would think that bodes well for production/shipments for all BHOF offerings. Surely everyone at the Mint that has young children or grandchildren knows that you cant let a child wait long for something. If the product has a schedule date of 07/28 they should have sufficient inventory on hand at that time to meet demand in a much more timely manner than we are currently experiencing…

26. Ray says

People who have canceled BHoF gold coin orders, should call the mint and have them reinstate the canceled order. I thought I was the only person to have regretted canceling an order, but now I’ve seen 4 others. Accidents happen and maybe/hopefully customer service will help you.

27. Steve says

Why in the world would anyone have cancelled their BHOF gold orders? Why not just let them go and see if they get filled?

28. ABC says

I’ve never heard of anyone being able to get the mint to reinstate an order before. Has anyone here actually succeeded?

I think you “might” get an order reinstated had the call been made months ago. I think you might get laughed at for asking them to do it now nearly 3 months after you cancelled it. I seriously doubt anyone is going to get them reinstated – especially after they sold out and the mint had multiple people already waiting to get cancellation notices…

30. joe says

Yes, there are still a lot of pre-1982 pennies out there. I’ve found IH pennies in boxes as well. To an earlier poster’s point, the copper pennies just last longer. If you drop a zinc penny on the ground and check it in a few weeks, it’s generally corroded.

I like the idea of pennies, but I guess the big question is: What can a penny purchase these days? If the answer is nothing, then it’s outlived its usefulness. If psychology is taken out of the equation, a penny (zinc or copper) is worth more than a Benjamin Franklin.

Wow, I wasn’t expecting the 2014 First Spouses to start being released in July. Wouldn’t you know that gold is marching up, up and away right now. While it’s obviously too early to tell, at present it looks possible that the prices will go up again next week to the $1,300-$1,349.99 tier.

32. VaBeachSteve says

@ Va Rich ….. My $5 BHOF order is at 10:30 pm on the 27th PM and is still showing “Backordered”
    Like many others I’ve got my fingers crossed

33. high low silver says

I ordered my hof gold around 5pm and don’t know what the order # is, I signed in as a guest. Should be getting an email soon.

34. Pittsburgh P says

Ray some people tried gettin there cancelled orders reinstated months ago right after they cancelled- no go.

They are def not gonna do it now cause you regret canceling it…

Cag did you see the release date on the product schedule page or was there more info released on the young collectors set?

high low, So you have been reading but not commenting, ok. Well, I hope you don’t have any legal maters that won’t easily be fixed.
    You should be getting the BHoF soon, and it’s 90%.

36. VA Rich says

Thanks Cag – this is excellent!

I pulled NGC/PCGS grading numbers this morning as well fleabay numbers for sale.., since we’re at the point of the glut of all golds being received, if the same numbers are pulled in around 4 weeks I’d like to run a variance to see increase or decrease across OGPs for sale, sold, numbers from TPGs, and price variance over the glut.., should give a good idea of demand and price stability, and if collectors are flipping or holding to them and thus, they’ll be limited supply.., or it there’s status quo

37. VA Rich says

Good luck guys with your late-day 3/27 orders, hope it all works out!

Clark – I’m thinking you may be right on with your supply thoughts last week, this will be interesting to watch over the next month or two as to whether we settle into a narrowing price range or continue to see some volatility.

38. high low silver says

Dusty: I just started reading again for upcoming offerings……Kinda got bored for a while

39. oldfolkie says

I have said this many times and will continue to say it, Teddy Roosevelt thought a country’s coinage was a reflection of that country. What does that say about ours. I agree completely, we have two coins the dime and quarter that are actually valuable. The current dime has the buying power of a 1960s penny. Our coinage is truly an embarrassment. Where are coins that have a value that could actually be used?

40. Vachon says

@Jerry Diekmann : I think what causes the zinc cents to corrode so rapidly is the fact that they don’t really circulate. I’ve been carrying a 2010 cent in my pocket for four years now just to see how the new design would wear. Although zinc is exposed along the rims, the coin has not corroded any. I suspect because it is constantly accumulating circulation wear in my pocket rather than sitting in a jar to be attacked by the elements.

If our cents had meaningful purchasing power with this same composition I don’t think we would notice it as much. Actually none of our coins really circulate anymore. The first year state quarters have had 15 years to accumulate wear yet the vast majority of the ones I see still look barely used when they should be halfway through their circulation lifetime. Our coinage is in a very sorry state and certainly a mockery of value.