US Mint Circulating Coin Production October 2011

Updated circulating coin production figures are available from the United States Mint. During the month of October 2011, the Mint facilities at Philadelphia and Denver struck a combined 690.66 million coins across all denominations.

The latest monthly production represents a decrease from the previous month when 811.42 million coins were struck. It is also a decrease from the year ago period when 730.22 million coins were struck. Looking beyond the totals, there was significant shift for one denomination in particular.

A breakdown of production by denomination and mint facility is presented below. The first number column represents the total production for October 2011, and the second number column represents the total production for the year to date.

2011 US Mint Coin Production Figures
Kennedy Half – Phil. 0 1.75 M
Native Am Dollar – Denver 0 23.10 M
Native Am Dollar – Phil. 10.64 M 22.26 M
Pres Dollar – Denver 15.40 M 148.96 M
Pres Dollar – Phil. 11.34 M 146.30 M
Total 690.66 M 7,052.61 M

At a combined 100.6 million, the US Mint reported its highest monthly production for quarters since early 2009. This is a significant rise from the typical production levels since the start of the America the Beautiful Quarters Program. Total production for the nine designs released so far has ranged from a low of 61 million to a high of 70.2 million, with the production for each design split over two or more months.

Mintage levels for America the Beautiful Quarters have been exceptionally low, especially when compared to the previous State Quarters. As mentioned in a previous post, the total ATB Quarters produced for the series to date is still below the total production for the first issue of the State Quarters Program. The lower production level for the current series has been attributed to a backwash of previously minted quarters re-entering the system. Many who had collected State Quarters throughout the program spent or deposited the coins in recent years, leading to a surplus at Federal Reserve Banks. This, in turn, led to lower orders for circulating quarter dollars to the US Mint, which reduced production to a minimal level. This months increase in production may be a sign that the surplus quarters at Reserve Banks have finally been exhausted.

If general mintage levels rise for the coming America the Beautiful Quarter designs and are sustained at higher levels for the remainder of the series, the initial releases may seem scarce and more desirable by comparison. Besides the low mintage levels, the coins are also certainly not being saved in quantity like the State Quarters. If you can acquire any of the first nine ATB Quarter releases at or close to face value, these seem to represent a good opportunity.

Shown below are the mintage levels for the 2010-2011 America the Beautiful Quarters. Note, that the US Mint has reserved the right to restart production for the 2011 issues. The 2010 issues can be considered final.

Denver Phil. Total
Hot Springs Quarter 34.00 M 35.60 M 69.60 M
Yellowstone Quarter 34.80 M 33.60 M 68.40 M
Yosemite Quarter 34.80 M 35.20 M 70.00 M
Grand Canyon Quarter 35.40 M 34.80 M 70.20 M
Mount Hood Quarter 34.40 M 34.40 M 68.80 M
Gettysburg Quarter 30.80 M 30.40 M 61.20 M
Glacier Quarter 31.20 M 30.40 M 61.60 M
Olympic Quarter 30.60 M 30.40 M 61.00 M
Vicksburg Quarter 33.40 M 30.80 M 64.20 M

Comments

I’m wondering if the 2010 Circulating ATB Quarter set will be taken off-sale the day the 2011 set goes on sale? I’m starting to think maybe I should go ahead and pick that one up. Sure, the price is pretty high compared to the face value, but it’s a handy way to get a nice BU specimen of each of those elusive designs. I’ve seen as few as one (Grand Canyon) and as many as eight (Mount Hood) of any of the 2010 designs in circulation. Believe it or not, the lone Grand Canyon coin I found was in one of those little community coin trays by the cash register at the Casey’s General Store in Tamaroa, IL. My wife and I were going to visit my parents that night and stopped in for sodas. I never realized that would be the only one I ever found!

2. MarkInFla says

Where do all the billions and billions of pennies go???

I know there’s no use keeping money in banks these days, with 0% interest, but pennies have no metal value. If people are filling their basements with coins they should hoard nickels!

I’ll just hammer a theme I’ve made in previous posts on circulating coinage.

The Mint badly needs to advertise this series and they really need to revise their coin mintage policies. They are flooding the markets with pennies no one needs that rot in banks (or just end up in the trash, I know people who just throw them away these days), and minting $1 coins like crazy. Then they Mint a very tiny number of AtB quarters, most of which are probably disappearing right into the Federal Reserve given the constant complaints by people unable to find any of these issues. I STILL have not seen one 2011 quarter in circulation and I’ve seen maybe five or six 2010s in circulation, total.

We’ve now slumped from 35 million issues per mint to about 30 million, and who knows how many of these are even making their way into circulation? Next year production will probably fall to 25 million. Meanwhile, they don’t even advertise the AtB bullion or AtB numismatic series’ in their own paper catalogs.

The Mint really needs to get its act together regarding this program. I honestly think AtB clad coins are going to be worth some real money a decade or two down the road, just because no one will be able to find them to fill those holes in their albums. The whole program is in danger of falling apart into total irrelevance, which is shameful given how successful the previous state quarter program was.

4. Wylson says

CaptainOverkill, I agree their publicity for the ATB issues is poor. Definately some potential, but probably long term. I would like to see clad mintages fall even further, maybe that would spark some interest.

5. SmallPotatos says

I have mentioned the AtB quarters at work, and no one heard of them! they all started digging thru what they had, and up turned a 2009 Guam and a 2010 Yellowstone! they were amazed that these coins were out there, and that they hadn’t heard of them! gee, Go figure. i bought each one from them! i know that these will only ever be worth 25 cents, but it was fun getting everyone looking through their change!

Have there been any hard to find or desirable regular-circulation state / territory quarters during the series’ 11-year run? I think not. An odd variety/error or two that have been a passing fancy, but nothing I can recall that really led to great collector demand — even with relatively low mintages for the territory quarters.

I think the same will be true for the circulating ATB quarters. Despite the relatively “low” mintages, I doubt that any of them will lead to great demand and high secondary market values…. JMHO

7. fosnock says

I will beat a dead horse, besides the lack of word of mouth, I think the reason there is no generated heat for the coins is because the mint reserves the right to reproduce the coins, and did so for at least the Hot Springs quarters. Who wants to buy low mintage coins based on a flexible mintage? I agree with Wylson than a lower mintage would spark interest, but basically in the past you got a lower mintage, which generated some heat, then some dealers ordered more coins from the mint which increased the mintage above the newly released ATB quarter(s). Why would anyone generate buzz about the low mintage in that environment?

8. fosnock says

Hidalgo

Only time will tell most of the highly prized coins were common but overlooked coins. The ATB’s have that hallmark but it could go either way. Morgan and Peace dollars are good examples of overlooked coins. The more common one’s sell for bullion while the rarer ones have a price. Both of these coins were setting in bank vaults for decades.

The comments about the ATB quarter series so far are valid…. from a collector point of view. I think one must take a broader look. In addition to lack of advertisement and support from the Mint (not allowing banks to order the coins when released, straight to the Fed. Reserves), there are other factors.

First the flood of ever-changing coinage. IMO the Mint jumped on the novelty bandwagon too quick for the long haul. The State Quarter program was new, and exciting from a less than serious collector standpoint. The Mint over-reached this by adding the 1$ prez, the !$ Native American (which had a nice obverse design to begin with), and then the ATB. While many like novelty, consistency usually wins out over time.

Second, it’s too much for the occasional collector. Most people have short attention spans. They filled their State Maps with quarters (those that didn’t lose interest) and thought “OK glads that’s over”. Then the territories and ATB’s and they had enough.

Others factors include saving coins that may or may not have any numismatic value in their life-time (anyone that has, with a few few exceptions, seen want mint sets go for knows what I’m talking about). Consistency of designs in hard economic times. Poor designs. I’ve heard the prez dollars referred to as “circus” coins. Many feel like our coinage is being “Europeanized”. In tough times most people like stability, even in small ways such as coinage.

Time will tell. Perhaps those with the patience to complete sets will see some gain for their efforts. Until then anyone want to buy a circulated state quarter set???

10. Tom P. says

My theory is that coins are going the way of stamps. From high interest to popular high mintage “worthless” (the state quarter series) coins to electronic money.

I’m semi old fashioned and a coin collector therefore I still pay for most items in cash, but I’m becoming a minority. Usually I’m held up in lines by young people paying with debit cards. Contrary to what commercials would have us believe these cards slow lines down.

Advertising the series? Be serious. The best ATB coins are already out. Wait till you see the non events coming up.

11. Wylson says

Coins to debit cards are a bit like records > tapes > cds > digital music. Most people under 30 don’t have the concept of money in the form of coins and music that exist in formats other than a download.

12. B Mackey says

Using cash/coins to make routine purchases is the best way to avoid debt. You take some out to spend when you get paid and when the cash runs out you stop spending until next pay day. People using debit/credit cards don’t keep track of how much they spend and often end up having trouble paying their bills.

13. B Mackey says

Where do pennies go? 3 or 4 billion is a lot, but that’s only enough for every person in the U.S. to put a dozen or so in a jar on their dresser.

I’m amazed at how low the mintages are for quarters. Not since the 1950’s have we seen mintages this low for a unique year/mint mark/design. At current levels there are only enough quarters being made for about 1 in 10 Americans to own one of each design/mint mark. Compare this to some of the earlier state quarters where they made enough for EVERY American to own several of each design/mintmark.

IMO the first two years of series is a classic sleeper situation. The mintages have been especially low so far, particularly for 2011 designs, and hardly anyone seems to have noticed. Moreover, few people seem to be collecting them yet so most of this production is going into circulation. If this series ever catches on with the public and a lot of people try to put together a complete set, there could be a sudden shortage of these low mintage designs from the early years, especially if quarter production rises significantly (back to what used to be normal) in a few years.

Some of this could be due to the decline in the use of coins. But note that in the depression of the early 30’s coin production dropped way off for a few years, then returned to much higher levels a few years later. So I think at least part of the production decline is due to current hard times and could easily go much higher when the economy begins to bounce back.

14. fosnock says

Well all I can say is I hope that after I’m long dead and buried my grandchildren or my great grandchildren while cleaning out all my junk in the attic find my ATB quarters in their mint rolls, and say wow this is worth something. I will be surprised if I see anything from this “investment.”

15. Steve-O says

FYI

This is off topic, but former US Mint Director Edmund Moy just joined Morgan Gold, cashing in on his govt service.

Steve-O – Well I guess that’s one government created private-sector job. Good luck to him and thanks for my 2009 UHR.

17. fosnock says

Why not we have generals working for defense contractors and the Vampire Squid (Goldman) running the the Treasury Dept, why not have the former Mint Director work for a private bullion distributor. The only thing I wonder about is if this is the reason why the mint will not distribute PM bullion directly to the public, and uses the primary dealers?

18. Steve-O says

VA-Bob:

LOL. The 2009 UHR is a great coin and the Mint did a pretty good job distributing that one, especially compared to the 25th Anniversary set debacle. My order is still in process.

fosnock: I also wonder why bullion coins cannot be distributed directly to the public.

19. simon says

Michael : The mint has a “New Frontier” medal newly in the pipeline. Just wondering if there is more info on this offering?

20. KevinD says

Just received my five 25th Anniversary sets. Not planning to have them graded so I opened them up. Coins are beautiful. That being said, out of 5 full sets, only had 3 coins that arrived as they should, in their airtites, in their placeholders. 20 coins in their airtites were just rattling around in the blue box while in transit. 2 coins had chipped/broken tops and arrived in only partial airtites. Called the mint for replacement airtites for the two with chipped plastic. Mint said to call back as they are all out at the moment. I wonder why… Is it too much to ask to have the coins not rattling around during shipping? If this was eBay, they’d get poor feedback. As it is, you don’t dare send them back. Why do all government operations suck? Rant over. At least I got my coins.

Tom,

Had we still been in a prosperous economy, you might be right on the subject of electronic money. However, that isn’t going to happen now with the entire global banking system tottering on the edge of collapse. Given that we are likely headed for another global depression, it is extremely unlikely the citizenry will be willing to convert entirely to paper money.

While you might say young people have no knowledge of coins and gold, that is changing. I have “converted” several people in their late 20s to buying gold and silver coins precisely due to lack of confidence in the economy. I think you will find in the next decade or so use of physical money and cash making a comeback as the credit and banking situation gets worse and worse.

22. ClevelandRocks says

I agree with VA Bob. We are in the post-1998 era of “circus coinage” like the Royal Canadian (Circus) Mint and yes the Franklin Mint. The ever changing designs on coins is like having a birthday party every day (not so special)!

You can now chose your own low mintage coins (2011 W AGE, First Spouse, ATB silver, and yes the 25th set may not command high premiums once the dust settles). Nothing really unique in the 25th set like the UHR, just unique mint marks with 100k mintage…

Personally, I like the ATBs much better than the state quarters, but please stop with all the changes and new designs!

23. Wylson says

ClevelandRocks, At least we have some people that understand that the 25th set may return to earth at least after the hype. Who knows they may have painted ones next year and make the RP and S mint regular offers along with what they already have. The 92 – 94 ASEs proofs commanded about $200 a piece 5 or 6 years ago. Now they are not so special and barely above the rest of the ASE proofs.

24. Two Cents says

To Steve-O [Nov. 12, @ 11:24 am]

The New Frontier medal is a Gold Congressional Medal to honor the 1st American to orbit the earth (John Glenn in the Mercury “Friendshp 7” capsule) and the three Apollo 11 astronauts (Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins).

A year ago, Les Peters wrote about the proposed designs in his Coin Update column. Here is the link:

25. Two Cents says

Oops, sorry, the comment about the New Frontier medal should have been directed to

simon [Nov. 12 @ 2:29 pm]

Personally, I like the frequent coin design changes. As a long (very long) time collector, I lived in an era when you might see coin design changes perhaps once every 10 – 25 years. That got to be REALLY boring and there was no fun in collecting coins when the designs were the same year in and year out.

Simple rule of thumb: If you don’t like a design, ignore it. You don’t have to buy it or collect it. Others will.

27. John says

About two weeks ago I came across a few 2009 Puerto Rico “D” coins on the east coast at different store locations. These were mint fresh, the copper edge was really bright and that’s what caught my eye. When the P.R. coins were first release I was able to find “P” mint marks frequently.

I haven’t found any ATB’s yet.

28. fosnock says

KevinD

At least yours were rattling around in their airtights, My uncirculated -S mint mark came lose from the airtight, and was rattling around without any protection.Nothing I could do about it fortunately I had no intention to have it graded

29. Bill says

Coins have gotten too expensive, so I started collecting auto plates.

There is always the possibility that the price of gold and silver will crash.
    If they do, I will be back buying from the desperate coin speculators online.
    Watch out. If the price of silver retreats to the $15.00 range there will be many opportunities to reload.

I have sold some “rare auto plates” for several hundred dollars each and
    every plate is an original and many have interesting histories.

The Desert Rat

30. G says

What this? I received two Mount Hood quarters in change yesterday from a local store. They look fantastic. Other than 1 Yellowstone a few months ago, it’s the first ATB coins I’ve gotten.

31. Tom P. says

Wylson, the ATB quarters have this weird worn look even if new for Washington. It’s not the original Washington, and it’s not the state quarter Washington. I don’t care what they tell us. It’s like they got lazy at the mint.

In my own corner of the world the laundry room downstairs no longer accepts coins. The nearest laundromat no longer accepts coins. (they converted to a card system) The city transit system pays back dollar coins which everyone promptly tries to get rid of.

My theory is that at some point there will be “enough” coins minted to satisify demand. Did we really need 200 million per design per mint for the state quarters? No. I can guarantee there are several hundred million still sitting in bank vaults. We are down to 60 million per design per mint and there is only minimal interest. Demand for the dollar coins was only 3 million per mint per year until they started the wacky Presidential dollar program of making hundreds of millions per year.

Captain OK. I try too. “Gold is too expensive” etc, etc. I even offer to run into the city to pick some up for them. As far as my “people are dumb” theory, just look at the leftovers at the Coinstar machines. Once or twice a year there is a “jackpot” of 1 or 2 silver coins just lying there.

32. Two Cents says

Tom P.,

The Mint did a re-design of the Washington portrait for the ATB quarters. They went back to the original 1932 John Flanagan portrait of George Washington on the obverse “to bring out subtle details and the beauty of the original model.” They scanned the original plaster models and created digital files to be revised by computer before the hubs and dies were produced.

The original coin in 1932 was meant to be a one-year commemorative to honor the bicentennial of Washington’s birth, but was so popular that they continued minting it in the following years.

A few decades ago (I’m thinking in the ’90s), the Mint redesigned the portrait, giving him spaghetti-looking hair This continued for the reduced-size portrait for the State Quarters series of 1999-2008.

So the latest portrait is not worn-out or represents a lazy mint, but a return to the original classic.