US Mint Circulating Coin Production October 2013

quarterUpdated figures are available for the United States Mint’s circulating coin production through the month of October 2013. Once again monthly production topped the 1 billion mark.

For the month of October, the US Mint struck 1.22 billion circulating coins at the Philadelphia and Denver Mint facilities. This represents an increase of 17% from the year ago period when monthly production reached 1.04 billion. The latest total was also an increase from the prior month when production was 1.1 billion coins.

For the year to date, the US Mint has now produced 10.63 billion circulating coins. This amount exceeds the full annual production of the prior year, which had reached 9.34 billion coins. This year will represent the fourth consecutive year over year production increase since mintage levels bottomed in 2009.

The table below displays the production figures broken down by denomination and mint facility. The first number column represents the production for the month of October 2013 while the second number column represents the production for the year to date.

2013 US Mint Coin Production Figures
Kennedy Half – Phil. 0 1.80 M
Native Am Dollar – Denver 0 1.82 M
Native Am Dollar – Phil. 0 1.82 M
Pres Dollar – Denver 0 14.01 M
Pres Dollar – Phil. 0 19.45 M
Total 1,220.38 M 10,629.84 M

During the month, circulating coin production was confined to cents, nickels, dimes, and quarters. Compared to the previous month, production gains were seen for each of the four denominations. This was led by the quarter, which saw overall production of 192.6 million compared to 148.6 million in the prior month. For the year to date, quarter production has reached nearly 1.3 billion pieces. This is already more than double the full year annual production for 2012 of 568.01 million quarters.

The cent accounted for the majority of monthly coin production with 674 million pieces struck across the two mint facilities. For the year to date, there have now been more than 6.3 billion cents produced.

There have been no updates provided for the production totals by design for the 2013 America the Beautiful Quarters and 2013 Presidential Dollars. The same figures available in the previous month are shown below.

2013 US Mint Coin Production by Design
Denver Phil. Total
White Mountain Quarter 107.60 M 68.80 M 176.40 M
Perry’s Victory Quarter 131.60 M 107.80 M 239.40 M
Great Basin Quarter 141.40 M 122.40 M 263.80 M
Fort McHenry Quarter 151.40 M 120.00 M 271.40 M
McKinley Dollar 3.36 M 4.76 M 8.13 M
Roosevelt Dollar 3.92 M 5.31 M 9.23 M
Taft Dollar 3.36 M 4.76 M 8.12 M
Wilson Dollar 3.36 M 4.62 M 7.98 M

The only preliminary production total not yet provided is for the recently released 2013 Mount Rushmore National Memorial Quarter. However, by backing out the provided totals for the first four quarter designs we can get an idea of the production total so far.

From the first table, year to date circulating coin production for the quarter has reached 1,299,000,000. From the second table, the first four quarter designs accounted for 951,000,000 of that total. This leaves production of 348,000,000 attributable to the Mount Rushmore Quarter, which would represent the highest mintage design for the series to date.

The overall mintage low for the series occurred for the 2012 Chaco Culture National Historic Park Quarter with 44,000,000 coins struck, evenly divided between the Philadelphia and Denver Mints.

This of course does not consider the specially released circulating quality quarters with “S” mint mark.

Comments

Ok…so where in the heck are all these quarters going?

I still only have $2 worth of circulated ATB quarters and the only 2013 I have is a recent Perry I got in change at Mickie D’s.

2. Nick says

Ive noticed that when I do get them in change I receive multiples of the same quarter from the same roll. I’ve noticed that HMS Host( rest stops along major highways) seem to have the highest amount of atb circulating quarters I have seen in all of the many states I have been through during the past two years

3. KEITHSTER says

6 billion pennies makes a lot of cents for any year ! Lucky they self destruck so keep them clean and nice. Our hearts go out to all you veterans thank you more than words can say:) My 5oz mount rushmore & s roll shipped out on this fine Veterans Day May GOD be with Them Good luck to all:>

Help! I can’t stop! I got a Crispus Attucks on the way..Grrr…This hobby is addicting or I am addict and have turned to coins as my drug…lol

5. Nick says

I hear that , I have developed a coin addiction as well. I’ve always liked them but these past 2 years I’ve gone from admiring to collecting a lot of different coins. Mostly US and some Australian.

6. Ray says

seems kind of surprising how slow the bullion Mount Rushmore AtB coins have been selling. Only 6k initial order and none since then. I thought this coin would be hot compared to the first 4 of 2013. Seems to be quite the contrary. Other bullion AtBs started out around 10k initial sales.

Everyone broke with Holidays, RP Buff, and other offerings…Everything in moderation…Hope it’s a super low mintage…

8. Jerry Diekmann says

6 biilion cents a year is 6 billion cents a year too many. The coin is worthless – one cent has no value. We should have stopped minting these slugs years ago and started rounding to the nearest 5 cents – or 10 cents. No, doing so will not cause inflation – it is a zero sum game.

9. DNA says

2012-D Acadia Quarter is the lowest mintage business strike ATB Quarter variety at 21,606,000.
    The P and D varieties of Chaco Culture are tied for second-lowest at 22,000,000 each.
    Still waiting for an ATB variety to surpass the 194,600,000 Oklahoma-D mintage figure…

10. VARich says

Nick – (and so way off topic here) – if that’s the case partner and at your age, you need to go get digits from Cassie, the designer of a Handful of Gold.., not only does she have a future in designing coins for the mint but she’s a cutie too, then the rest of us out here can live vicariously through you. Really, how many can say, “oh, my significantly other designs coins (with my help!)” – lol But I’ve digressed.

Called about the next Zeke release and was told that it wouldn’t be until after the New Year, and then was told maybe a little sooner, maybe we’ll see it sooner right around the peak shopping season to capture some of those dollars, be nice to see 3-4 days prior to the TR release to weigh that decision.

11. Nick says

She’s cute, my girls cuter though. I’m happy with the fact that my gf is into coins. She asked me to buy her some silver Australian bullion for Christmas. I really can’t complain haha

12. VARich says

You got you a keeper there! Good for you!
    ………….

More of a sell off of the Unc AGE (returned items), guess many lost their enthusiasm when it soared well over 6100. With this 30 day return policy, you’ll see more folks play the system in chasing the low mintage game. Not a good thing.

13. Ray says

Looks like the initial sales reporting for Mount Rushmore (P) 5oz AtB is rather strong at 14,012 coins sold.

Interesting to see the 1oz gold Unc drop in sales 2 weeks in a row.

14. VARich says

Where you are finding the Mt. R puck sales Ray? I haven’t been able to find it on the xcel sheet, unless I’m going blind.

Yeah, couldn’t find the Unc AGE through a retailer for most of the year, now the market is flooded with them. Bet they’re wishing they hadn’t bought 1035 to have slabbed as they’ll be sitting on some inventory for a quite a while.., what for the big sale in a month or two.

15. VARich says

I dare say a lot of folks got burned in the big run up on the unc five dollar star spangled banner that started this week, a year ago. That may be why the its companion this year is putzing along. With the extension of the comm sales this year to the end of the year and the extension in the return policy to 30 days, not sure if the mint really thought this one through. The sales number to account for returns should be really interesting come the end of January. There’s almost too much information on mintage and flexible return policies that hurt the collector.