US Mint Coin Production April 2012

The United States Mint has provided updated figures for circulating coin production through the end of April 2012. Also provided are updated preliminary production figures for the Chaco Culture National Historical Park Quarter, Chester Arthur Dollar, Grover Cleveland Dollar, and Benjamin Harrison Dollar.

For the month of April 2012, circulating coin production reached 858.04 million coins. This represents the highest monthly total since June of last year. The production total is up about 34% compared to the year ago period and about 24% compared to the prior month.

A breakdown of production by denomination and mint facility is presented below. The first number column represents the total production for April 2012, and the second number column represents the total production for the year to date.

2012 US Mint Coin Production Figures
Kennedy Half – Phil. 0 1.80 M
Native Am Dollar – Denver 0 2.80 M
Native Am Dollar – Phil. 0 2.80 M
Pres Dollar – Denver 2.52 M 7.00 M
Pres Dollar – Phil. 9.10 M 13.72 M
Total 858.04 M 3,022.10 M

Once again production was dominated by cents, nickels, and dimes, which accounted for 98.65% of all coins produced. The only other denomination actually struck during the month was the $1 coin, which is not actually released for general circulation, but only sold by the US Mint via numismatic bags, rolls, and boxes.

There were apparently no quarters struck for circulation during the month. This denomination has been considered to be a workhorse within circulation, however it seems that existing stockpiles at Federal Reserve Banks continue to fulfill the needs of commerce. At the conclusion of the State Quarters Program, certain reports had revealed that large quantities of quarters had flowed back to reserve banks. Late in 2011, there seemed to be signs that the stockpiles were finally dwindling, but this year’s production figures suggest otherwise.

The US Mint has posted production totals by design for certain America the Beautiful Quarters and Presidential Dollars. In the past, typically when these totals had been posted, the Mint would begin production of the next design and not produce additional coins for any previous designs. In recent years, the US Mint has specifically reserved the right to restart production of any design within the year of issue based on demand and production capacity. Thus, the amounts provided below cannot be considered final until the end of the year.

2012 US Mint Coin Production by Design
Denver Phil. Total
El Yunque Quarter 25.00 M 25.80 M 50.80 M
Chaco Culture Quarter 22.00 M 22.00 M 44.00 M
Arthur Dollar 2.80 M 4.06 M 6.86 M
Cleveland Dollar 2.66 M 4.06 M 6.72 M
Harrison Dollar 1.54 M 5.60 M 7.14 M

The figures for the Chester Arthur Dollar show an increase of 1.12 million coins struck at the Philadelphia Mint. Orders for the US Mint’s bags, rolls, and boxes had already surpassed the initial production quantity for the coins. The latest weekly sales report shows total sales accounting for 7,088,500 Chester Arthur Dollars, which is once again higher than the indicated production level. This suggests the US Mint will need to revisit production for this coin once again.

Preliminary totals for the Grover Cleveland (first term) and Benjamin Harrison Presidential Dollars are 6.72 million and 7.14 million. Both coins have production heavily concentrated at Philadelphia, suggesting that more production may need to take place at Denver.

Comments

I’m really surprised that the AtB mintages are still falling. One would think they would be stabilizing rather than trending backwards.

How many AtBs are even being circulated, I wonder? I still haven’t seen any 2011 quarters in my change and I haven’t seen a 2010 in a long time either.

2. Broooster says

CaptainOverKill, the ATB quarters are available in a number of places, but I think for the most part, when they come out, people are hoarding them. I buy rolls at my local bank, but very seldom are they willing to bust open a roll to pass out singles. I recently went to a large show in Detroit, and only 1 dealer had the ATB quarters, and he only had the latest one. All the heads tails rolls had sold, and he wasn’t willing to break open any of the remaining rolls. Sooner or later, they will surface, IMHO.

3. guama says

Booster…I too attended the large show in Dearborn (detroit area) and purchased a roll if the latest atb quarters. Sorry I didn’t buy more.

4. Alan says

This is crazy. The AtB quarter mintages have fallen off a cliff. Makes me wonder why the mint made so many quarters last year, if they are only going into distribution now.

5. VABEACHBUM says

I’m one of the dinosaurs that still does mostly cash transactions and, given how close I live to the Richmond Fed, I would have expected to see more ATBs in my area. Lately, I’d have to say about 1 in 10 of the quarters I receive is an ATB; mostly 2010s and the occassional 2011. No 2012s yet. Even more puzzling is the fact that I have only seen two, 2009 dimes and one 2009 nickel!! Very scarce around here.

I would suspect that the lack of ATBs in circulation is a reflection of our floundering economy. So many citizens are cracking open their piggy panks, gathering up their change, and using that money to pay for essentials. The cash money system has been overwhelmed with spare change, so the banks have not needed to order new coins from the Fed.

I know, my premise contradicts the most recent productions numbers, but I see it every time I go to the bank – or watch the folks in the grocery store as they feed the (goat) change machine. As a comparison, I have received more pre-’60 silver quarters (7) in the last 12 months, than I have 2009 dimes and nickels (3 total) in the last 45 months. Strange times, indeed.

6. fosnock says

@ Alan

They did not make a lot of quarters last year with the exception of Chickasaw. I keep finding pristine State quarters but I only found one 2012 quarter, and two 2010s

7. merryxmasmrscrooge says

They’re going to nickel and dime me to death!! Also, we don’t need any more quarters, there’s already too much in circ. How many people have a 2 lb. jar at home? They should be made to be used. Our Earth has limits and’s a waste of matallic natural rescources that can be used for research or other purposes.

8. Teach says

I have only seen one 2010 ATB quarter in circulation here in Ohio. I still have it. I hoped I would see more. What is going on with the 5 oz. ATB coins, still no word on when or if they will continue?

9. fosnock says

@ Teach

The lack of ATB 5 oz is getting old I sent a e-mail to the mint last week,asking for information, and got nothing. Its getting old because I want to pick up the bullion and two of the “P” versions. If they are not going to release them then they should let their customer base know so I can spend the money on other offerings, these low silver prices will not last forever.

10. KEITHSTER says

Sorry but I for one am glad the mint has yet to put out the 5ozers or the spouse’s.Giv’s us more time to get bank account feed. With all the other stuff they are selling the dollars and eagles enough is going out already. As I have said before Relax Reload (your bank account that is ) and get ready they will be out soon enough

11. Falcon says

One thing I have noticed is that the mint has not set a date for the release of the circulating ATB quarter sets. Did they stop producing these sets?

12. fosnock says

@ KEITHSTER

Considering that the mint will sell this things for years you have plenty of time to buy them…my only worry is I want to buy the current dip in silver

@ Falcon

They will come out at the end of the year…they have to produce the coins before they can sell them

13. fosnock says

@ Falcon

Last year they came out in November…I image they come out close to itt. The mints schedule has been real flaky this year, and they only go a few months ahead of this month

14. Two Cents says

VABEACHBUM, I too have been finding silver coins in circulation … not a lot, but like you, I have found more silver dimes and quarters than 2010 (four), 2011 (one) and 2012 (zero) ATB quarters. And like fosnock, I have been finding a lot of shiny, relatively uncirculated State/Territories/DC quarters from 1999-2009 with bright copper rims.

Also, more wheat-back pennies are showing up, mostly common dates in pretty good condition, considering that they are around 55-75 years old. There are also a sizeable percentage of pre-1940s. The other day, I even found a 1911-D and 1914-S in vg-f and a 1926-S in vf-xf condition. (I had bought twenty rolls of cents from the bank to look over.)

It seems likely that people have been spending the State quarters that they’ve been saving up in previous years, as well as their loose change in jars and cans. For those who don’t know any better, they are even spending collectible coins because a penny is a penny, a dime is a dime, etc.

I recommend that collectors go to their banks and buy some rolls to pick over. You won’t get rich (maybe), but you’ll have a lot of fun when you get a silver nickel, dime or quarter, or a better-date wheat penny. I’ve found silver coins in rolls from the bank, and also in loose change given back from vendors.

15. Jeffb says

I find ATB quarters in change but very seldom. 2010,2011 no 2012 yet. And I am in a rural state.

16. John says

Last week I bought $50 worth of pennies to search for fun (that’s 5000). After going through and finding several wheat backs (oldest a 1926), I wondered if I would get a similar ratio if I searched for silver quarters in rolls.

After reading a few post above I think that maybe fun to try. I do think a lot of old money is coming back into the system.

BTW: my ratio for pre-1982 cents was about 15%. I also found a reddish toned nickel in a roll, 2 Canadian cents and 2 Trinidad & Tobago cents (each on worth 1/6th of U.S.)

I still search for 90% & 40% half dollars but that has dried up. Between 2009 – 2011, I have found over $3,000 melt worth of silver halves included silver proofs and circulated proofs form the 70’s. No better return on my investment!

17. bos says

Bank employees here watch the change coming in like hawks. There isn’t going to be any silver in there.

Like others in the midwest, I have yet to get any ATB quarters in circulation. If you ask at the banks they look at you like you are crazy and say they can’t tell you what is in a roll, and don’t volunteer any information. If you ask merchants or bank employees if they have gotten any full rolls of new coins lately, they always say no they haven’t. I do see lots of state quarters in circulation…can’t tell if they are from newly busted rolls or turned in by disgruntled hoarders. But they are nice and shiney.

Ditto the comments about the 2009 dimes and nickles. They are either still at the federal reserve, or the entire production has been hoarded. Like the 25th anniversary set, they were apparently deemed to be instant rarities, and gobbled up never to be seen again.

Also wondering about the 5 oz silver. Agree that having their issuance all compressed into a short span of half a year is hard on the bank account. With silver sliding in value though, perhaps it is better to wait. Assuming continued soft precious metal prices for the rest of the year, I am looking for a price cut in proof silver eagles and the left over 2011 burnished silver eagles…otherwise their sales will come to a grinding halt. Non-collector eagles should do well though as they drop under $30 apiece for the first time in years.

18. bos says

Just for jollies I got out my no-see-em list for the statehood quarters. These are the ones that never turned up in circulation here:

South Dakota D
    Utah D and Wyoming P
    Oklahoma P
    Arizona P
    New Mexico P

In addition, none of the 09’s have ever appeared in circulation.

Of course I have them because I bought them directly from the mint, but I feel sorry for the kids who started putting a collection together, only to run into certain ones being hoarded or never released yet.

Statehood quarters seem to be getting a higher share of the ciirculating stock now, maybe up to 50% of what you see out there. But 90% of them are Connecticut, New York, and Virginia.

Conversely, from the sales side, they aren’t worth anything on the market, unless they are error coins. There is an army of people trying to make a living off sales of onezies and twozies, but they have a tough time what with ebay’s sales commission, the fact that ebay almost demands now that sellers lose money on shipping charges. Bank rolls won’t sell high enough to cover the costs of sales, and mint rolls were sold at a premium too high to recover on the secondary market.

So other than some of the later issues, and all the 09’s, I really don’t see the point of hoarding them, and don’t understand why they still are being held They may be worth a bit above face value, but not enough to cover sales expenses.

Now, will this be true of the much lower mintage ATB quarters, I don’t know, but I doubt it. 30 or 40 million serious collectors, no way. 30 or 40 million people tossing their change into mason jars, easily.

Some like to say there are now millions of coin collectors out there, but I actually think the number is shrinking as our large class of senior citizens gives it up. Obviously there are fewer than 100,000 serious US coin collectors in the whole world, or you wouldn’t see as much as 10% or more of the mint’s entire production of silver collector eagles just on ebay alone each day being flipped. If you look at just the total secondary sales and resales of the 25th anniversary sets since November, it is several times more than the mint’s entire production.

None of this speaks very well for the hobby of numismatics.

19. merryxmasmrscrooge says

Michael said:
    “The preliminary figures suggest another mintage low for the America the Beautiful Quarters Program, with just 22 million Chaco Culture Quarters struck at the Philadelphia and Denver Mints. This is the lowest mintage for a quarter since 1958.”

That’s true, but in 1958 only one type of circulated quarter was minted. Nevertheless, it’s exiting. Hope I find some in change.

20. george glazener says

hope and change…what????

Never mind, I was just having a quick nightmare. My local B-of A said they rarely if ever get fresh fed-wrapped quarter rolls. All their coinage just comes in the door recirculated from the public. After 5 years of asking, I’ve never lucked upon unused MINT rolled coinage. Very frustrating. I don’t quite understand the process of where all that production is going and why it’s so hard to obtain it from the very place you’d expect it to end up….What do you fellas know about it?