US Mint Coin Production March 2011

Updated circulating coin production figures are available from the United States Mint, including coins struck during March 2011. The update also includes the preliminary production figures for the recently released Glacier National Park Quarter.

During March 2011, the US Mint produced 485.5 million coins for circulation at the Philadelphia and Denver Mints. This is down moderately from the prior month when 523.14 million coins were struck, but up from the level of the year ago period at 384.42 million coins.

All denominations were produced during the latest month, except for the half dollar. The table below shows a breakdown of production by coin and mint facility for March and the current year to date total.

2011 US Mint Coin Production Figures
Kennedy Half – Phil. 0 1.75 M
Native Am Dollar – Denver 0 18.06 M
Native Am Dollar – Phil. 0.14 M 9.52 M
Pres Dollar – Denver 18.34 M 55.44 M
Pres Dollar – Phil. 27.16 M 62.72 M
Total 485.50 M 1,773.37 M

Across both mint facilities there were 338.40 million Lincoln Cents produced in the latest month. This accounts for nearly 70% of circulating coin production by volume. The year to date total has already exceeded the one billion mark.

The least produced denomination for the month was the quarter with just 19.4 million coins produced. Although the quarter has been called the “workhorse coin” of circulation, the need for newly produced coins has diminished due to the large number of quarters within Federal Reserve Banks inventories. This has resulted in frustration for anyone trying to collect the new America the Beautiful Quarters from circulation.

For the month, the US Mint produced 18.34 million and 27.16 million Presidential Dollars at the Denver and Philadelphia Mints, respectively. This seems to be the start of production for the upcoming Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Dollar.

2011 US Mint Coin Production by Design
Denver Phil. Total
Gettysburg Quarter 30.80 M 30.40 M 61.20 M
Glacier Quarter 31.20 M 30.40 M 61.60 M
Andrew Johnson Dollar 37.10 M 35.56 M 72.66 M

The table above shows the coin production levels by design for the America the Beautiful Quarters and Presidential Dollars.

Generally, these numbers are provided when production of a certain design has been completed. However, for the ATB quarters, the US Mint has stated that they may restart production of a design within the year of release if demand exists from their bulk purchase program. Last year, this resulted in the striking of additional Hot Springs and Yellowstone Quarters.

The preliminary production figures for the Glacier National Park Quarter were provided in the latest update, at 31.2 million Denver Mint coins and 30.4 million Philadelphia Mint coins. Total production of 61.6 million is just above the level set for the Gettysburg National Military Park design.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

No ATBS seen by me either in circulation.

My bank teller hasn't either!

Anyone heard a peep from CNT since the website went away?

2. Anonymous says

3. Anonymous says

I have only found 2 Gettysburg, and 2 Yellowstone, here in Western North Carolina. G's at Ingles Grocery, and Y's out of a coffee vending machine. All 4 are brand spanking new, no scratches. Looks like the Glacier in 5 oz will look really good.

4. Anonymous says

Is there anything else that has some excitement to talk about other than the ATB 5 oz. sets? Looking at the recent coin production puts me to sleep……..

5. Anonymous says

Actually your entry at 1:50 was the first mention of the 5 ounce ATB sliver bullion in this post. Now you will have to wait for a new post to have your wish come true.

6. Anonymous says

ha! May not have a price increase after all.
    Gold popping down down down!
    Free falling toward $1449 (magic no price increase point).
    Pop.. pop…pop.
    Come on, it was so obvious this was going to happen.
    Maybe they will have to Lower the prices of the silver sets?

7. Anonymous says

Exchanged a whole bunch of grand canyon quarters, and yep, a single yosemite one as well, on my trip to the NP on site. Other than those – none.

8. Anonymous says

"Is it possible to have a post that does not mention the 5 ounce ATB sliver bullion?"

9. Anonymous says

Fillmore Proof and Mary Lincoln ONLY First spouse available. Must have minted too many Marys.
    Michael, P L E A S E let us all know what you think of the situation.
    Total garbage that the Eliza Johnson is not released and no information from the mint.

I really hope the 2010 silver quarter set is not pulled for weeks for a $2 increase. That would be idiotic.

Your customers are not happy.

10. Anonymous says

I wouldn't be surprised if the First Spouse series is cancelled. They haven't announced the release of the Eliza Johnson and we're already in the second quarter. Also, all the other ones available are selling out.

What will happen to the prices of the First Spouse coins out there when they do cancel the rest of the series?

11. Anonymous says

I've seen several ATB quarters in change. Nice coins. I like them as much as I do the state coins.

I think much depends on where are you in the country. I live in the DC metro area.

12. Anonymous says

The Mint must have produced too many Mary Lincolns and are trying to force people to only buy these for a while.

13. Anonymous says

My 5oz ATB is shipping on UPS right now from MTB which I bought from ebay. I can't wait to get it. Still have not seen anything about CNT inc. Hopefully they will send me an e-mail after 10 after depositing my check.

Question? Is it a good buy to get the 2006 three coin set for $325.

14. Anonymous says

Maybe they'll release Eliza Johnson when they FINALLY unload the last of the Fillmore proofs! I wonder why those are hanging around so long?

15. Anonymous says

"…Question? Is it a good buy to get the 2006 three coin set for $325…"

I think so. If they're graded, even better. But that's a fun set to have raw. I prefer raw coins from the mint but for investment purposes, 30 years from now when I go to sell in my retirement, there will be zero question of authenticity. With better and better fakes coming from China, slabbed coins are the way to go unfortunately. The Chinese are even faking slabs! David Hall of PCGS gave a nice presentation at the FUN show in Florida regarding Chinese fakes.

16. Anonymous says

" David Hall of PCGS gave a nice presentation at the FUN show in Florida regarding Chinese fakes " Wow very interesting to say the least !

17. Anonymous says

I misspoke. He didn't give a talk on it, rather it came up in a question and answer session.

18. Anonymous says

Gold is back below $1,450 for now. I sure hope that holds long enough for the Wednesday PM fix! No price increase this week if it does. That might buy us a chance to get the Eliza Johnson coins for the price tier in effect on March 3, when we SHOULD have been able to buy them!

Or, I wonder when Julia Grant will be changed from June 2 to "TBD"?

19. VABEACHBUM says

I conduct a lot of daily cash transactions. Over the last 15 months I have received less than 10 ATB quarters in my change, and those were either the Hot Springs or Grand Canyon "P's."

As a related question, is anyone out there seeing any circulating 2009 Nickels and Dimes? After 26 months and, again, lots of cash transactions, I have only seen 1 dime and 0 Nickels. 2010 Dimes are doing better, while 2010 Nickels also seem to be scarce.

Separately, not sure how much longer Eliza is going to take, but she isn't cancelled… yet. That would require legislation. As discussed in previous threads, delays are the result of reviewing and approving the (revised) final artwork, which is converted into sculpture, then a reverse, then a die. Test strikes, inspections, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this release pushed to May, with Grant following on schedule in June. Like the majority of those who still have an interest in this series, I'm closely monitoring gold prices, schedules and other factors, then making adjustments where needed.