US Mint Coin Production September 2012

The United States Mint has provided updated circulating coin production figures, covering production at the Philadelphia and Denver facilities through September 2012. The recent figures may indicate that the recent increase in quarter production will continue.

During the month of September 2012, production across both facilities reached 905.34 million coins. This represented an increase from the prior month when 655.50 million coins were struck. It also represents an increase from the year ago period of September 2011, when 811.42 million coins were struck.

Total production for the year to date is now nearly 7.3 billion, which is quickly approaching the 8.2 billion total production for all of 2011.

The table below includes the production figures broken down by denomination and mint facility. The first number column represents production for September 2012, while the second number column represents year to date production though September 30, 2012.

2012 US Mint Coin Production Figures
Kennedy Half – Phil. 0 1.80 M
Native Am Dollar – Denver 0.28 M 3.08 M
Native Am Dollar – Phil. 0 2.80 M
Pres Dollar – Denver 0 16.24 M
Pres Dollar – Phil. 0 27.80 M
Total 905.34 M 7,285.01 M

At 606 million, the cent accounted for 67.0% of all circulating coin production for the month. The remaining production was mainly distributed between the nickels, dimes, and quarters.

The Native American Dollars saw additional production of 0.28 million at the Denver facility. Collector demand for bags and rolls of the 2012 Native American Dollars has trailed demand for the 2012 Presidential Dollars and production has followed suit.

There is a legal requirement for at least 20% of all $1 coins minted and issued for the year to be Native American Dollars, but it seems unlikely that this requirement will be met. Current production levels show less than 12% of all $1 coins to be Native American Dollars. In the last fiscal year, the US Mint failed to meet the legal requirement. This was noted in their annual report, but there was seemingly no other consequence.

No changes have been made to the production totals by design for the 2012 America the Beautiful Quarters and 2012 Presidential Dollars. The same figures as last month are reproduced once again below. As in the past, I will mention that the US Mint reserves the right to restart production of any design within the calendar year, based on collector demand and production capacity.

2012 US Mint Coin Production by Design
Denver Phil. Total
El Yunque Quarter 25.00 M 25.80 M 50.80 M
Chaco Culture Quarter 22.00 M 22.00 M 44.00 M
Acadia Quarter 21.606 M 24.80 M 46.41 M
Hawaii Quarter 78.60 M 46.20 M 124.80 M
Arthur Dollar 4.06 M 6.02 M 10.08 M
Cleveland Dollar 4.06 M 5.46 M 9.52 M
Harrison Dollar 4.20 M 5.64 M 9.84 M
Cleveland (2) Dollar 3.92 M 10.68 M 14.60 M

Comparing the total production of the first four 2012 America the Beautiful Quarters to overall year to date production reveals something interesting.

For the first four designs, total production based on the chart above is 266 million. If this total is backed out from the year to date overall quarter production of 343.41 million, this leaves 77.41 million. This amount should represent the production so far for the fifth design of the year featuring Denali National Park. This initial production already exceeds total production of the first three designs for this year. Additional production may also take place in the coming months, which could bring the total to the same level or higher than the Hawaii Volcanoes design.

This would be significant since it could signify a sustained increase in the level of quarter production, which has stubbornly remained at incredibly low levels for the entire America the Beautiful Quarters Program.

New Weekly Sales Report

Over on Coin Update News, I have just published the latest weekly sales report for United States Mint numismatic products. There were no new product releases, but a few surprises. Despite the suspension, sales of 2012 Proof Silver Eagles rose, and one gold coin saw sales spike higher for the week.

Check out the full report at Coin Update News.

Comments

I wonder why they made more NA dollars? Was demand for bags and rolls up? I like this years example a lot, perhaps many others do too.

2. William says

I expect the mint is seeing real copper pennies disappearing from circulation at an ever increasing pace…

A penny for your thoughts.

William Tell

I don’t get why the US Mint continues to produce so many pennies. It’s clear that they are being spent a few times and then disappear. That’s why so many have to be continuously minted. If the cents returned to circulation there would be no need to mint so many.

4. stephen m. says

I’ve been taking the copper pennies out of circulation, about 2 to 3 hundred of them a year, from my pocket change and spending the rest. I think a lot of people just chunk all their change in a jar, coffee can or some type of container. i will have to agree that if the cents were returned to circulation there would be plenty and the need to mint more could be reduced a great deal. dimes and quarters also.(i’m guilty of saving the nickles also for the copper.)

5. merryxmasmrscrooge says

with increasing mintages, this makes some of the the 2009, ’10 and ’11 coins all that more appealing to find in chg.
    found a 2010 ATB quarter Yosemite at the airport abt a month ago, but no ’10, ’11 or ’12 ATBs since.

I am wondering if the Hawaii ATB quarter is a fluke. I believe the US Mint thinks that they have a winning design here and that demand for the coin will be high. When you consider sales of the 5 oz Hawaii ATB – P silver coin, one could come up with that conclusion…..

ATB 5 oz and other silver products are available at the new prices.

I think the 5 oz ATB’s are overpriced now…you can buy the bullion coins for $40 less per coin ($190 vs $230).

8. Samuel says

Steve,
    no. i meant the OGP ones i bought. right now, each eagle price is increased by $5, so for a set, $10.

BTW, i bought a 70 set with bloack core from a dealer, not that nice as i thought, so i will not send in the SFs to NGC at this moment.

Samual, yeah, I bought a Coin & Currency NGC PF70 retro black holder…I’m not really impressed either with the black holder…white looks much better!!

10. Broooster says

Fluke or not with the Hawaii ATB mintage, what good is it doing of they do not distribute the coins for circulation??? I usually have no problem getting the ATB quarters straight from the bank, but Hawaii has yet to show up. They are holding them for some reason.

11. arthur dietze says

Received 3 ATB Hawaii quarters out of change machine at Planet Holywood, Las Vegas last week.

12. KEITHSTER says

Got my Hawaii rolls at the bank a month ago. Don’t want any more they made way too many! Hope they go back to the lower mintages soon.Just scraped my moneys together Hello Alice!! were you been.. Good luck too All!!!

13. Dursch says

Has this ever happened to anyone and was it easy to resolve. I ordered the Hawaii 5oz and the silver proof quarter set the other day. Both items were shipped together supposedly, however only the 5oz was in the box. The enclosed packing slip shows that the proof set was shipped however.

Thanks.

14. Shutter says

Has this ever happened to anyone and was it easy to resolve.

15. Tom says

“Has this ever happened to anyone and was it easy to resolve.

Call them first and see how they react. I’ve only had meaningless parts go missing (e.g. COA or dog tag from DoF set), but they were helpful in those cases. Let us know what they say.”

I bought an American Legacy Proof set directly from the mint a few years ago that was missing the COA. I called them to request they send me one, and they were very helpful. They sent me a stack of about 12.

No way to know how they will respond to a missing silver quarter proof set. Remain calm and polite.

16. DNA says

The ATB Quarter design I’ve found the least of in circulation is the Chickasaw. And it was by far the highest mintage until the new Hawaii Volcanoes Quarter. Since banks can’t order BU rolls of these Quarters, high mintage does not seem to increase your odds of finding any particular ATB design in circulation. A bunch of Chickasaws (and other high-mintage ATB’s) may end up sitting in Federal Reserve banks for years.

17. simon says

* Has this ever happened to anyone and was it easy to resolve *

Yes they are helpful as always. They will ask you to fill out a CNR form
    and attest with your signature. Then they will ship you the replacement.

They may of course have shipped the units separately and you can
    verify by calling them.

Has this ever happened to anyone and was it easy to resolve.

I can’t speak to your specific situation, but there have been instances where multiple products I ordered at once were shipped separately on the same day, and without the Mint providing me with a tracking number for the second box. It is possible your missing product may arrive unannounced in a separate box in a day or two, though you may want to call the Mint just to be sure.

If you haven’t done so already, double check your order tracking page and/or your shipping notification email,and make sure there aren’t two tracking numbers there.

I think the Mint might do this “separate box” thing to save on shipping costs.

19. Dursch says

I called and they confirmed that the order was supposed to be shipped in one box. They told me to fill out the Certification of Non-Reciept form

That just happened to me recently. I ordered FOUR products and only three came in the box. I was charged for all four. I called and they sent me some papers to fill out. Once I filled those out and sent them in—the missing product was sent to me asap! I have been ordering for years and this is the FIRST time that has happened to me. So a good track record for the Mint from me!

21. Marc Hasara says

I enjoy all the threads from coin collectors out there…but seriously folks the junk coins being minted now from: copper, zinc, nickel and whatever junk metal the mint uses are not worth collecting, hoarding or getting excited over. Since silver was taken out coins in 1964 all US coins are worthless and ugly.
    When gold, silver and platinum are inserted back into coinage produced here we will have something worthy to collect. Until then nothing leaving the mint for circulation has any real value. This will become more evident as dollar devaluation and currency debasement continues under FED policy.