US Mint Confirms Enhanced Uncirculated 2014 Native American Dollar

Late last week, the United States Mint began sales of the 2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set. Based on the press release and initial product page, the set seemed to simply contain a regular uncirculated 2014 Native American Dollar and a $1 note. The Mint has now confirmed that the $1 coin carries an enhanced uncirculated finish.

cc-set

At the start of sales, some readers noted the description of the coin as “2014 Native American $1 Enhanced Uncirculated Coin” shown on the image of the packaging. I had updated the post to highlight this observation and also reached out to the Mint for an explanation. This morning, the Mint provided details of the enhanced uncirculated finish created for the coin.

obverse2

A wire brush was applied to both the obverse and reverse fields and artwork on the dies. Three distinct finishes are used across the obverse and reverse designs. The obverse contains elements shown in white with a standard uncirculated finish. The fields and elements shown in blue carry a standard frost finish.

reverse2

The reverse design makes use of all three finishes. The elements shown in white carry a standard uncirculated finish with the elements in yellow carrying a light frost finish. The background fields shown in blue carry the standard frost finish.

Some readers who have received the sets in hand confirm the different appearance for the $1 coin included in the set. If anyone wants to share a photo to add to this post, please leave a comment.

In the regular weekly sales report, the Mint reported orders received for 9,720 units from the 50,000 maximum. This includes only sales through Sunday, November 23, 2014. Word of the special finish seems to have spread when the first sets started arriving on Monday, which may have contributed to an acceleration in the pace of sales.

On the Mint’s website, the American $1 Coin and Currency Set is indicated as “Currently Out of Stock”. This does not seem to be a sell out. Recall that at one point the 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar Clad Set was listed as out of stock, but sales were later resumed.

This represents only the third time that the US Mint has used an enhanced uncirculated finish. The first instance was for the 2013-W Enhanced Uncirculated Silver Eagle, and the second was the 2014-S Enhanced Uncirculated Kennedy Half Dollar. The 2014-D Enhanced Uncirculated Native American Dollar would seem to have the lowest mintage of the three at the product limit of 50,000 units.

Update: The Mint just provided the following additional details:

Being an Enhanced Uncirculated program, the base finish on the obverse & reverse was wire brushed. This was developed specifically for this program and implemented into production for the first time.  This approach gives the coins a bright finish without appearing polished (like proof coins do).

On the obverse, standard laser frosting was applied to the field and particular elements of the artwork to accentuate the design.  Specific elements of the artwork and all lettering are in the wire brush finish to further accentuate them against the laser frosted field.

On the reverse, standard laser frosting was applied to the field.  A lighter level of laser frosting was then applied to particular elements of the artwork to enable it to stand out.  Specific elements of the artwork, all lettering and the compass are in the wire brush finish to further accentuate the design.

Comments

1. stephen m says

Bob R, Make no mistake about it. The people we fight and the people with the oil are all in it together in that area of the world. I’ll agree with the Phelps, $2.89 a gallon for gas ain’t cheap. Not long ago we had $20.00 a barrel for oil, $5 for silver and gold was @ $500.00 I think. Milk is now higher gallon per gallon than gas. I must be getting old but let’s see how low things will go. Usually when a price, for anything, falls and hits bottom there is one big bounce in the upward direction.

jeff, The Mint would have no problem producing more than the product limit of the EU Native Hospitality dollars. IMHO, it would not be in the Mints best interest to press more and possibly lower the value of the coins.

Alfred E. Numismatic,

Yeah, I think everyone knew what you meant, and like the others I thought of our resident typo cop the second I saw it. Actually, he’s been evolving, I sort of like the new Walton’s series.

4. KEITHSTER says

See they have up the last chance stuff and keep adding more hope they leave the FS’s linger? Will need more time to find that dough! Had to go to the postoffice to pickup first time for that this new shipping is#$%^&^ budget shoul be set free for all Good Luck All:>:>:>:>:>:>

5. JOSEPH says

You must be out of your mind. an apple with a bite is $115. that’s not cheap. LOL

Bob R says
    NOVEMBER 30, 2014 AT 9:18 PM

PM and energy commodities price drops is a good thing for the US stock market and economy. Not long ago and even today people were complaining about the fed a QE 1, 2 ,3 , and 4 printing money….gold was the selling point to own.

Well today that thought sure seems to be wrong. The Fed did a great job saving us from a new depression, remember when just a simple money market fund was questioned as a dangerous investment?

The only commodities I see in a deflation period now is energy and pm, the agricultural are not. The US economy is not in an deflationary mode, interest rates are low, will not head up very much to make any difference, and non energy, non metal stocks will continue upward.

Word to the wise, ride the market wave, don’t try to catch the falling knife in oil and gold. Of course this is just my opinion. Sorry for the long rant.

Hey, India can get rid of the 80/20 rule all they want, CHINA is sucking up all the Gold mined with a huge nozzle!

7. KEITHSTER says

No I have not had the problems like most. Have gotten everything I’ve ordered used to be in a timely manner with the upgrade but now with the snail mail it’s differant people to deal with. But this one must have not fit in the mail box so they just left a note and I just went and picked it up but have never seen a postoffice like that two guys stuck in a little room stuff every where man how do they do it? My main delivers I just leave a note to put it in the car out front and please lock the door how sweet is that nuff said Have A Good One All:>:>:>:>:>:>

8. Sith says

@JOSEPH – Its called stagflation…”The Fed did a great job saving us from a new depression.” In your opinion, in my opinion they did a fine job saving the banks, and made the inevitable collapse based on their money printing that much worst. The funny thing is the IMF closes the printing presses when some third world county gets into trouble, with the inevitable depression, but somehow what is good for the goose is not good for the gander. Then add that the Fed did the exact same thing from about 1934 until about 1937. Then they turned the spigots off, and everything started to collapse again so unless you expect another world war to save us, IMHO hard times are coming. This time is even worst that is unless you believe the government unemployment and inflation rates. And for the record WW2 only saved us as we were were not bombed, and as such we were 50% of the worlds manufacturing capacity.

“Don’t try to catch the falling knife in oil and gold” – I like dollar cost average and with oil taking a hit I may change actually start to reinvest in that field. Owning oil stocks at one point was like owing a gold mine or a printing press,

Sith, According to CNBC the Saudi’s can extract oil for $10.00 a barrel, $5.00 in some cases. If you look at an historical oil price chart you will see that OPEC slammed the price of oil down in late 2008 to $45.00. OPEC may not want to take it down that far, but they certainly are playing a long term game. So if you plan on going there, be patient, then don’t do what I did back when oil was $50.00 per barrel and let a so called expert talk me out of investing.

Do I need a disclaimer?

I’m far from an adviser unlike another commenter. Listen to him, not me.

11. jhawk92 says

@Bob R-You got it. Purple Mountains are nice, but I have a feeling Twin Peaks might be better? I haven’t been, but always up for a new spot. And yes, I think I will keep it slabbed for now. The seller said he couldn’t see any reason why it didn’t grade a PR70, but I’ll take a really nice coin at a discount to the mint price. Who knows, I might have ended up with someone else’s return after having waited this long for a Mint purchase.

@KCSO-Yes, I did track down a set of the 2012 pucks. Or rather I pieced it together from the same source. It might have been a bit more than chasing down individual coins, but I do value my time somewhat. I will probably have to go piecemeal with the 2010s though. APMEX had all 5 coins listed a few months ago, on sale, and all either DMPL/FS or DMPL/FS/Mercanti signed. I probably should have jumped on those at that point, but I had also just bought the 2011 and 2013 sets, so funds were a little tight. I see a couple FS sets up on the bay now, but I will probably wait on those since I just picked up my gold Kennedy. And that’s probably not a bad idea to keep watch for the Everglades DMPL and see if pricing comes down a bit. I wouldn’t mind picking up a cheaper coin or two to help average out the others.

@cagcrisp-Thanks. I’m looking forward to seeing it in person. The photos were pretty nice, but I’m sure don’t do it justice. Kinda wish silver had stayed down…that was a heck of a ride today. I’ll keep watching and maybe add some more bars if we don’t see Eagles or SML’s up soon.

12. JOSEPH says

Hmm… you sound like those economists. LOL. how come they didn’t predict any financial crisis? let’s see what will it be the next crash. not pretty good I guess. remember year 2000?

Sith says