US Mint Produces 8.2 Billion Circulating Coins in 2011

The US Mint has updated circulating coin production figures through the close of the 2011 calendar year.

During the month of December 2011, production was 431.78 million coins, down from the previous month’s production of 715.96 million. However, the final month of the year has typically seen minimal circulating coin production activity. In December 2010, the Mint struck only 80.2 million coins, while in December 2009, the US Mint did not report any circulating coins produced.

For the full year of 2011, circulating coin production reached just over 8.2 billion. This is an increase of 28.67% compared to production for the 2010 calendar year. The gains were primarily attributable to higher production of cents, nickels, and dimes.

2011 US Mint Coin Production Figures
Kennedy Half – Phil. 0 1.75 M
Native Am Dollar – Denver 0 48.16 M
Native Am Dollar – Phil. 0 29.40 M
Pres Dollar – Denver 0 148.96 M
Pres Dollar – Phil. 0 148.40 M
Total 431.78 M 8,200.35 M

Comparing 2011 coin production to the previous year, the number of cents produced across the Philadelphia and Denver Mint facilities rose by 23.13% to 4.94 billion. The number of nickels produced increased by 101.86% to 990.24 million. Both the cent and nickel cost more to produced than their respective face values, and the US Mint has indicated that demand for these two denominations is expected to increase.

Production of dimes for the full year reached 1.5 billion, representing an increase of 34.23% compared to the prior year. The number of quarters increased by 12.73%, but still remains at a historically low annual total of 391.2 million. Half Dollar production was essentially flat at 3.45 million.

Dollar coin production for the 2011 calendar year reached 374.92 million, down 6.79% from the previous year. Production levels will almost certainly experience a sharp decline in the coming year, following the announcement of the suspension of production of Presidential Dollars for circulation.

No changes occurred to the figures breaking down production by individual design for the 2011 Presidential Dollars and 2011 America the Beautiful Quarters. The final figures are provided below.

2011 US Mint Coin Production by Design
Denver Phil. Total
Gettysburg Quarter 30.80 M 30.40 M 61.20 M
Glacier Quarter 31.20 M 30.40 M 61.60 M
Olympic Quarter 30.60 M 30.40 M 61.00 M
Vicksburg Quarter 33.40 M 30.80 M 64.20 M
Chickasaw Quarter 69.40 M 73.80 M 143.20 M
Andrew Johnson Dollar 37.10 M 35.56 M 72.66 M
Ulysses S. Grant Dollar 37.94 M 38.08 M 76.02 M
Rutherd Hayes Dollar 36.82 M 37.66 M 74.48 M
James Garfield Dollar 37.10 M 37.10 M 74.20 M

Gold and Platinum Numismatic Product Prices

Based on the available data, it seems likely that the price for the 2011 Proof Platinum Eagle will be increased tomorrow. Depending on tomorrow’s London Fix prices, a price increase may also be possible for gold numismatic products.

The average price of platinum for the weekly period is in the middle of the US Mint’s $1450 to $1549.99 pricing tier, which is one level higher than the tier currently in effect. Since December 21, the 2011 Proof Platinum Eagle has been priced at $1,692, representing the lowest price during the course of the offering. The likely increase would bring the price to $1,792.

For the available data, the average gold price for the weekly period is just below $1,650. If tomorrow’s London AM Fix price comes in at $1,656.50 or higher and the PM Fix price is above $1,650, then the criteria would be met for a price increase. Prices for the 2011-W Uncirculated Gold Eagle, 2011 Proof Gold Eagle, 2011 Proof Gold Buffalo, and First Spouse Gold Coins would be increased proportionally by $50 for each ounce of gold content.

Comments

1. SmallPotatos says

“The 2011-W Uncirculated Gold Eagle has sold out at the US Mint. More on this tomorrow…”

Thanks for the cliff hanger Michael!!! 😀

2. mqracing says

Bless my credit card— or pity it! Been debating whether to buy a pair of the platinum eagles for months now. It’s do or die time. Decisions. Decisions.

3. MisterMon says

I wonder what the final mintage number is for the 2011-W Uncirculated Gold Eagle. Last US Mint report showed 8,637. Did we reach 9,000 or even 10,000 sales after this week? It seems unlikely. It’s quite a surprise to me that it sold out….and probably is for a lot of us. I anticipate good premium on secondary market.

4. John-1 says

I just received a Chickasaw Quarter in change two days ago. It’s the first ATB quater I’ve ever recieved in circulation. Maybe becuase there are 143.20 M vs. 64.2 M???

I hope I get some El Yunque quaters from the bank before the bags are released next week. For the past few years Puerto Rico seems to get all the good stuff first (2009 nickles, 2010 pennies). I get 2009 P.R. & V.I. quaters here daily but no other Territory quaters.

5. MarkInFlorida says

Where are all these billions of pennies going? I haven’t seen many 2009, 2010 or 2011s in change. People are hoarding the copper ones. But where are these going?

MarkInFlorida,

The 2009 pennies were never very common around here (Southern Illinois), but I’ve seen plenty of 2010’s and 2011’s. We always seem to get both P and D mints too. I guess I’m fortunate to live in an area of the country where banks get some of each instead of just one or the other.

My bank has always been lucky enough to receive at least one $500 box of each ATB quarter in unmixed rolls, too. I’ve been holding on to a few rolls of what 2010 and 2011’s I could get, since their mintage is so microscopic compared to the 50 State Quarters. Now that quarter production seems to be picking up again, these might see some premiums in a little while. Since I got them at face, what have I got to lose? Nothing that I can think of, aside from a paltry 0.20% interest rate on my savings account! 🙂

John,

Given the trend in regards to the Chickasaw quarter, I am hopeful to start seeing El Yunque quarters in my loose change too. I am going to wait and see what happens before picking up any of the El Yunque rolls (especially since they still seem destined for a $40 release, unless I missed an update on that product’s price).

Mark,

I’ve been asking the same question about the pennies. Supposedly the Mint is losing tons of money on them yet they keep minting billions. Surely there isn’t THAT much demand for circulating pennies for the Mint to fulfill…

I have said this before… I am certain that a large number of pennies are being placed in coffee can, jars, piggy banks, coin fountains, etc. How many people use pennies in every day transaction on a regular basis? With credit/debit cards, many folks would prefer just to keep a few coins in their pockets, and store the rest elsewhere.

A penny can’t buy much nowadays — it’s just easier to give a cashier your plastic or a nickel… With a nickel, you can get pennies in change, which then gets placed in your piggy bank, not to be used for quite some time. We saw that during the recession, some of the stored coins were criculated and spent again…. leading to lower mintages during the height of the recession.

9. Michael says

London AM Fix price for gold is $1657, so by my calculations the weekly average is in the $1650 to $1699.99 range.

As long as London PM Fix price remains above, $1650, there should be a price increase.

Regarding the gold coin price increase, it appears we were bailed out by the Mint’s Wednesday PM fix policy. $1,647 is within the current range, so it looks like there will be no price increase on gold this week!

11. Car10 says

If the 2011W burnished UNC AGE comes in with a final mintage of under 8,883 I believe that would make it THE KEY to the entire American Gold Eagle series. Last known sales as mentioned above was 8,637. Unless they sold 245+ coins this past week then we will have a new King of the series replacing the 2008-W 1/4oz burnished UNC AGE. It should be interesting to see the final sales figure.

12. Gary says

Just got my order in early this morning for the 1-ounce Platinum proof @ 1692. I see that the Mint repriced the coin at noontime for 1792. Sure hope they will take my order for the old pricing!

I have found that the problem with speculating on low mintages is that there is always a good chance that there will be a coin in the same series with an even lower mintage than one that is already the “key.” The First Spouse series is a great example of lower and lower mintages appearing with time.

I would not be surprised if the 5 ounce ATB bullion and P versions share the same fate….

I’m all for the elimination of the cent and possibly the nickel. I’d hate to see see them in a cheaper metal than they are now (steel… that would stink for future treasure finders with metal detectors… a rusty, illegible disk). Also no need to ever de-monetize them, eventually they would disappear from circulation, but if someone had 10 individual cents they wanted to spend, so be it.

I would like to see them to continue in proof and mint set, as part of our American heritage, maybe even with the cent permanently back to its original bronze composition. We all know price of Sets would easily support the metals prices of each coin and they would be special to collectors. Heck they could even do collector rolls and bags for a premium, just as they do with half’s. Win win for everyone.