US Mint Reduces 50th Anniversary Kennedy Silver Set Product Limit

The United States Mint has announced a reduction to the product limit for the 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar Silver Coin Collection. The previously indicated limit of 300,000 units has now been reduced to 225,000 units.

Reverse Proof Kennedy Half Dollar

The four coin silver set represented the third in a trio of products issued to mark the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy Half Dollar series. The US Mint seemed to be anticipating intense demand for the product which includes 90% silver half dollars from different mint facilities with proof, reverse proof, enhanced uncirculated, and uncirculated finishes. Just days ahead of the October 28 launch, the Mint had announced the product limit of 300,000 units and initial production of 180,000 units immediately available for the start of sales.

Whereas opening day sales for the 50th anniversary clad set and gold proof coin had topped the US Mint’s initial production level, the opening day sales for the silver set fell short at 85,670 units. Sales rose to 125,147 through the opening weekend.

After three weeks of availability, the US Mint removed the ordering limit of five sets per household, which has provided a boost to the pace of weekly sales.

As of November 24, sales have reached 165,824 units, up by 21,252 from the prior week. The cumulative total now represents 73.70% of the revised product limit. The US Mint has indicated that the product will remain available until sold out.

Comments

1. Bob R says

Just ordered 20 C&C at 5pm EST, order went through and showed in process, status now shows On Hold.

Wow, I don’t remember another time when the Mint altered a stated product limit for an already released product. I guess they figured there wouldn’t be any real backlash for a reduction in the limit. The real problem would have been if they had decided to RAISE the limit due to a fast sellout. Everyone who bought then would have screamed bloody murder! 🙂

3. A&L Futures says

This is going to be a KEY DATE among the Sacagawea/Native American series (minus varieties of course)

4. Hawkster says

Bob R.,
    I’m thinking that your order was probably one of the last ones to go through before the Mint put on the brakes.

The $1 C & C set now shows “out of stock” and is unable to be ordered. I doubt they already sold all 50,000 sets, though. It’s probably a case of the first batch is sold out and they will have to make more. The Excel spreadsheet with the sales numbers still hasn’t been updated yet, so it’s impossible to get an accurate idea of how many the first batch was right now. 20,000? 25,000? I guess we’ll know soon.

If it really is sold out for real, I wish I had ordered more than 22 sets!

6. Hawkster says

The TV coin guys are going to be drooling to get these Sacs on their shows. Because of the quick sellout, I am significantly upping my original prediction: $89.95 for 70’s.

7. Hawkster says

Brad,
    I believe that a sellout took place. Once the mega dealers and collectors saw the actual photos of the enhanced Sac which were posted today, sales went through the roof. These were bought in large chunks.

8. Boz says

CC says out of stock. To me that indicates it is not necessarily the end. The silver Kennedy look more attractive with the reduced mintage. Between the two I dont see the CC as a must have, it has no upside except to Sac collectors and surely any Sac fanatic found out early and already ordered. On the other hand, the silver appeals to those who like intrinsic value, the Kennedy collectors, and the set keepers. How many 4 mint sets have come along with the same coin before?

Good news about Kennedys, IMHO the Mint is having meetings to discuss how to please everyone, and it aint easy but at least they are trying…

10. mark says

These C/C sets come with a sequential order numbered certificate….the dollar bill…. Hope i get number 1

11. cagcrisp says

I don’t see 225,000 Sales being reached. I thought 180,000 was a Stretch. A reduction to 180,000 would have done Wonders for Sales…

12. TimTom says

Ordered 1 C&C set @ 5:00PM – still shows as processing – received initial email @ 5:04PM and conf. email at 5:27PM, Hope I get one. We’ll see tho 🙂

13. Hawkster says

Cag,
    I agree with you in that the Kennedy sales should have been stopped at 180,000. Now, the sales are going to languish.

14. Ends in Error says

Was bored at work this weekend and I ended up getting 32 of those C&C Sets and now I see that boredom sometimes has its rewards. These smartphones are really handy devices sometimes. I hope the truckload of Kennedy Sets also ends up a winner for me. Somehow I think I’d have been better off with more of those C & C Sets. Oh well.

15. bg35765 says

The good news: I bought 53 sets.

The bad news: I had 50 more sets in my cart at 4:45 p.m. and chickened out. My wife has been on me about spending so much on coins and I didn’t want to have the conversation when she noticed two $700 charges on the credit card.

Oh well. I never would have bought a single one of these if it was not for the sharp eyes on this forum. Thanks!

16. Hawkster says

In regard to the “out of stock” status of the C&C set, I believe that a virtual sellout has already taken place. The only way additional stock will become available is through order cancellations and credit card issues. Don’t expect too many orders being cancelled.

17. NC_Stacker says

Wow one bay listing had 5 for 24.95. It was up and all sold in under 5 minutes.

The frenzy has begun.

18. Ralph says

This is enjoyable. As soon as the Mint listed the C & C as “out of stock”, the 2 listings for them on ebay were for under $25 and were bought right up. Now, another seller list 5 at the same price. Within 2 minutes, sold! The frenzy has begun!

19. cagcrisp says

@Hawkster, I think the drop in mintage to 225,000 was a desperate move on the Mint’s part to Attempt to jump start Sales…

20. NC_Stacker says

Ralph…… LOL. I thought wth. I didn’t type that.

The mint gave us something to be Thankful for this Thanksgiving. Or should this be called “Mintsgiving of 2014” ?

21. Tinto says

@cagcrisp,

I agree they should have reduced it down to 180,000 ……. but maybe they already minted 45,000 additional sets and are now stuck …

22. KEITHSTER says

I think I’m going with the not sold out yet peeps? With the out of stock sign up no on line orders! any one try the phone do they take out of stock orders that way? Orered 7 yesterday at 10 am. central and they shipped today so maybe they are just out of shipping stock hope i get the shebra ones. Man just love how these went from ?who in their right mind to man I ordered a shipload!! Man the mints got to be falling on and laughing their keithsters off? Oh well enjoy them from that photo they look almost reverse prooflike to me.Well Have Fun And Good Luck And A Safe Hoiday Week All:>:>:>:>:>:>:>

23. mark says

My 10 sets ordered Thursday coming Fed Ex smart post will be here Saturday. My 22 sets ordered Saturday coming UPS has shipped and will be here Wednesday. My other 22 sets ordered early this morning still Processing.

24. Tinto says

@NC_Stacker

Yeah, some people made a boo-boo in terms of gauging interest in these JFK offerings …. my only interest was in the silver set so that I could keep my RP collection intact …

I am so glad they did not make a JFK gold reverse proof..

where are you folks seeing the C & C set on e-Bay? I only see the one for $100. I dropped the ball on this one. was going to get a set or a couple later this week and had no idea they would go that fast.

26. Eagle One says

K13 Silver
    As of 11/09/2014 @ 11:59 PM EST.
    180K in 2472 hours or 103 days from first hour sales began on 10/28/14 at 12 Noon EST.
    180K Target Date is estimated to be February 10th 2015.
    1,807 units per day average.

K13 Silver
    As of 11/16/2014 @ 11:59 PM EST.
    180K in 2840 hours or 118 days from first hour sales began on 10/28/14 at 12 Noon EST.
    180K Target Date is estimated to be February 25th 2015.
    967 units per day average.

K13 Silver
    As of 11/23/2014 @ 11:59 PM EST.
    180K in 2234 hours or 93 days from first hour sales began on 10/28/14 at 12 Noon EST.
    180K Target Date is estimated to be February 1st 2015.
    3,036 units per day average.
    The graph is now trending noticeably upward in the tail.
    f(x) = 18725 LN(x) + 36047

Conclusion: There is still enough initial inventory for K13 sales to continue into 2015.

@Louis – I believe that the U.S. Mint will re-open sales for the 2014 Native American Coin and Currency set. I read somewhere that the U.S. Mint will not create the maximum amount of a product in order to avoid waste. Smart move on their part. I am guessing that the U.S. Mint had say, 30,000 – 35,000 sets available for immediate sale. That means that the U.S. Mint will sell about 15,000 – 20,000 more sets in the future.

Think about what happened with the baseball commemorate gold/silver coins, the 2014 silver Kennedy set, the Everglades 5 ounce silver bullion coins, etc. In these cases, the U.S. Mint had a fraction — not 100% immediately available for purchase. The U.S. Mint later supplied the remaining quantity of their products at a later time.

28. jeff says

Hidalgo those are previous metals much more costly, these are clad they can easily punch out the entire lot I one day.

@Louis – I knew that the 2014 Native American Coin & Currency set would be a hot item because of the unique finish on the dollar coin. That’s why I placed my order the day after it was introduced. I placed a follow up order over the weekend.

I collect Sacagawea and Native American dollars. The 2014 D Native American dollar with the enhanced uncirculated finish will be, as of this writing, the key coin to the series (due to its mintage of 50,000).

30. mark says

I think they minted all 50000 sets. They had 37000 kennedy clad sets ready to go. And they were not expecting a big demand. They surely had to know, that once the word got out about these. That they would sell fast. Not like the had a lot of money invested in these.

31. A&L Futures says

@ Hidalgo

I too use to collect the Sacagawea / Native American dollar coins. I got it as high as #16 on PCGS’ Registry. I would have loved to had a coin like this in the set. Thankfully, (after reading these posts) I bought a couple hundred. If all goes well…it’ll be a very Merry Christmas this year.

32. Hawkster says

Hidalgo,
    If that is indeed the case, than the Mint, through its Fulfillment Center, has adopted a new ordering policy of only accepting orders for available stock. Perhaps they realized they were ticking off customers who literally waited months for products such as Silver Eagle sets (especially 2011) and the HOF coins.

33. Samuel says

as the first person commented on the “enhanced unc” issue, i feel proud of myself.

by the way, around the 5:15PM ET, there was “add to wishlist”, now it is gone?

34. A&L Futures says

@ Samuel

Thanks — you made life a little easier for this (soon-to-be) retired NCO. I hear there’s an opening in the Pentagon for a Defense Secretary. Perhaps they’ll post it to USAJobs (ha ha ha)…

35. Hawkster says

I just got off the phone with a customer representative. He stated that the 50,000 had already been minted and the “out of stock” could be construed as sold out. Mark, it looks like you are correct.

36. Jerry Diekmann says

These “special” Sacs will probably fall in to the same category as the 5,000 special finish ones that the coin designer got, plus the Cheerios ones. All this “special finish” coinsm are just manufacturered “rarities”. I’ll pass – wait a minute – no, they passed me! I’m OK with that, though. Now, if the Mint would make a golden dollar out of gold, that would be something to get excited about.

37. Alfred E. Numismatic says

… and it looks like jsm’s the winner in prediction. But we’re all winners if we bought. (I did)

Cheap, and built to stay that way.

38. A&L Futures says

@ Eagle One

I thought it would go for $600 – $800. It never occurred to me that it would go for $2000+

39. A Bob says

The second set of 7 C&C sets that I ordered on 11/21 shipped today. Happy.
    The updated product limit on the kennedy sets is reasonable. I want a certified set and I already gave the sets I purchased as gifts. Long term each coin will be worth more than $25.00.

40. mark says

Wait till the USMINT starts receiving the complaints. WHAT…..YOU FIRST DONT SAY ANYTHING…..THEN YOU DONT PUT A HOUSEHOLD LIMIT ON THEM…..oh boy

41. Hawkster says

A&L Futures,
    You had to know that eventually someone would ask you the following question: Do you have any connection to the company known as A&L Futures, which is located in the United Kingdom?

42. RSF says

I think what we just witnessed is the end of the way modern mint coin collecting has been conducted for decades. There will no longer be anything orderly or consistent about the process. As long as this industry’s manufacturer continues to announce that it is going to limit production of a coin that is a must-have for series collectors, then the market will be quickly distorted by the mega players.
    As soon as there was a whiff of a potentially scarce item emerging this afternoon, large chunks of the remaining supply were quickly consumed. All 50,000 are gone. The Mint is making it too easy for people to profit excessively. This will continue as long as the Mint announces that it has or will produce a scarcity. They should not publish mintage or production limits for an item.

43. Jon in CT says

Alfred E. Numismatic wrote on November 24, 2014 at 9:29 PM:

Cheap, and built to stay that way.,/blockquote>
    Your tagline appears to be a conflation of two Subaru ad campaigns. “Cheap and Ugly” was Subaru’s first ad campaign in the ’60s for a car which cost only $1297 at the port. “Inexpensive and Built to Stay That Way” was Subaru’s popular ’80s advertising catchphrase.

I guess you like Subarus. 🙂

44. Jon in CT says

Jon in CT says
    NOVEMBER 24, 2014 AT 10:29 PM

Alfred E. Numismatic wrote on November 24, 2014 at 9:29 PM:

Cheap, and built to stay that way.

I guess you like Subarus. 🙂

If this set had a $2 bill with Thomas Jefferson paired with Lewis & Clark it would have made sense to me and I would have been all over it. Oh well, missed the boat on this one!
    I thought the Teddy Roosevelt Coin & Chronicles set was going to be huge.

46. Hawkster says

I guess there are quite a few collectors now trying to figure out what the heck to do with the massive quantities of the C&C sets they bought. But, they are very happy. To paraphrase: “He who dies with the most enhanced Sacs wins”.

Those Mint customer service representatives tend to say different things depending on who you talk to. You can talk to five different representatives in the space of 10 minutes and get five different stories. So, until the status of the product is changed to “sold out”, I will stay in the camp of people who figure the product will return to sale at some point in the coming weeks. Who knows, when it comes back there may be a household limit imposed at that point. If there’s not, keep your eyes peeled for it’s return since that second batch will go FAST!

48. GoldFishin says

@Hawkster- I am keeping my sets sealed…add them to the stack. Will wait and see what happens with the grading and pricing.

49. Larry says

Whether or not it is sold out today, now that the cat is out of the bag it will be sold out soon. All I can say is thanks to Michael for this blog, the past couple of days have been fun! The most fun I get out of all this is showing folks coins they had no idea even exist. This will be a good one to show. Unfortunately it is coming via the slow boat from Fedex /USPS, which has to be the slowest way to ship anything. Probably won’t see it until a week from Saturday.

50. Bob R says

I ordered some of these C&C sets at the last minute but question their future value. The BHOF golds were the same mintage (50k) and they are just holding their own. These C&C’s will be all put on the market at the same time.

51. NC_Stacker says

Thinking about the mintage of 50,000. One must guess how many people hold this 50,000 mintage.

If 10.000 people bought just 5 sets that takes the 50,000. I know that more people bought many sets. So if the average is higher than 10 sets then the total in people’s hands are 5,000 people.

So I’m thinking the total amount of these coins are in the hands about 2.000 to 4,000 people. But it may very well be in fewer hands.

And if everyone just sits on them, the holders can in theory control the price.

What say you.

52. jeff says

Bob R I hear you, however this is different than other 50 k mintages. It’s enhanced, it’s Native American we still don’t kow the relevance of the dollar bill is it sequentially serial numbered is there something we are missing. These are special how special I’m not sure time will tell if they sell near the bhof clads they were 70-80% mark up these may do better than that just saying.

53. Bob R says

I hear you Jeff.
    I was on the computer all day with the stock market not looking about coins. After the market closed and then seen all the comments I jumped in the pool too. Thanks everyone for the heads up.

54. Bob R says

Your right Dusty, I knew about this set (C&C) last week but had my doubts because of the way the mint was selling them. I questioned their description until MNB showed photo. Thanks MNB.

55. Ralph says

Just noticed all of the 2013 & 2014 Kennedy’s are “out of stock”. Maybe the 2014’s are sold out. They minted all the coins early in the year. I would think all the coins were put up in bags or rolls already.
    I wonder when the Mint changes a product to “sold out”, how long does it stay active on their site. Seeing how they don’t list the “no longer available” products any more (and I sure wish they would go back to that) it’s tough to keep track of them now. One of my favorite things I did was check them first thing.
    Please US Mint, put the “no longer available” section back up.

56. JSM says

I guess I was right with the Monday sellout (should have bought more). I am guessing that the average purchase size is much larger than 10. I would say that there are 2 or 3 companies out there that would have bought 10,000+ sets each had they known about it (really whats $140,000 for silvertowne). In the short term, A lot depends on if these companies were able to get coins from the mint or if they have to buy them from the small guys. I think selling for $30 now might be a little premature but definitely understandable. Its the holiday season so be sure to realize that the US mint seems to have given us a gift and it never hurts to spread some of it around to those really in need. Good luck.

57. Alfred E. Numismatic says

“I guess you like Subarus.”
    :)@ jon in CT…
    I’ve got two of them.. :(wish they were American though)

58. cagcrisp says

@Ralph, On the New website I have never seen a Sold Out Item. Granted, I don’t look at many items. Currently we have 3 products that I Think are Sold Out and yet the Mint has them listed as Out of Stock… The 1oz AGE proof just went away, never listed as Sold Out.

59. Ralph says

C & C was back up. First ordered 50, not available. Lowered order step by step down to 10, and it went through. Tried again. Started at 10, not available. Went down to 1, and it did. Instantly it is “out of stock” again.
    Love the frenzy!!
    🙂

60. A&L Futures says

@ thePhelps

You said, “We’re sorry this product is no longer available”

~~~ Thanks for the update. Personally, I hope it’s SOLD OUT. This might give the series a much-needed boost.

61. CasualCollector says

I’m glad to see they opened up for some smaller orders this morning. That “should” be an indication that the 2 orders I placed yesterday between 2:30 and 3:00pm should be filled (the first order is “PROCESSING” and the other currently “ON HOLD”).

The Mint is now showing all of the bags and rolls of the Mount Rushmore quarter to be “out of stock”. So they are using “out of stock” to mean different things, in this case the products are being withdrawn after a year. I think it would be helpful if they used “no longer available” and “sold out” to be more accurate.

63. A&L Futures says

@ Stuart Bradley,

I’ve reached out to the U.S. Mint (via Facebook) in hopes of determining whether or not these are in-fact SOLD OUT. I guess we’ll know more once they release their updated Production & Sales Figures.

64. Larry says

There is no longer an “add to bag” for the C&C set. On the other hand, if it is really sold out, why is it still on the mints home page?

lol

66. Bernie in FL says

Has anyone actually received the C&C set yet? If so, have you noticed anything with the Dollar Bill itself?

67. Keep Calm & Stack On says

WRT to the bill – this was ‘borrowed’ from the aforementioned link ~ mystery solved?

“If indeed the serial numbers run 0570 0000 to 0574 9999 then winners of this lottery will be reflectors and repeaters.

05700750, 05711750,…05744750
    05700570, 05710571,…05740574

05700000 and 05749999 would probably bring premiums.

Maybe some would pay extra for (you never know on ebay):
    05705705
    05775005
    05700571, 05710572,…05740575

Otherwise, it’s an instant $1 rebate, bringing the cost of the set to $12.95 (plus shipping)… “

68. Frankie says

I just called the mint. The lady didn’t know if it’s sold out or just out of stock, but it wasn’t possible to place an order either way. Either way, those who played the BHOF gold game will want to stay away from this one. 50k is a lot to go around…

69. Jim says

KCSO,

So this coin is not only enhanced but also colorized. I guess everyone’s worst fears of the Mint going the way of other mints has been realized.

70. IPS_STUFF says

@Frankie

Is 50k really a lot to go around with the following being considered?

1) Coin that is part of a series and not a unique “one-off” item like the BHOF, this can become a key to a series
    2) Cost is $13.95 compared to $400 plus, lot more affordable.

The real question will be once someone has these is hand and determines that they are truly unique and different than other versions of 2014 Native American Dollars as indicated by the “Enhanced” wording.

Just another opinion.

Keep Calm & Stack On, That’s the way I’m looking at the bill to. This may have already been mentioned, but there should be a fairly good number of available sets on line with consecutive serial numbers soon at a higher premium. I can see those selling much faster, say 5 sets with all consecutive numbers… everyone wins.

72. GoldFishin says

@KCSO- Sac looks more like she’s been trading her fish and loaves for some cheap chinese made goods. ‘-)

Did you see last weeks sales of JFK silver, over 21K sets, just as I suspected. Two reasons, resellers trying to beat the ER/FS deadline and the arrival of PL/DPL coins. I have a lot to say about it but can’t in this public forum, not yet anyway,. We would have had a real secondary market winner if the mint would have stayed the course at 180K, now I am not as sure, but still think so. Have to wait and see if there is follow through after the FS window is closed. If so, then the second reason I gave could carry us to a sellout. If we pass the 180K already minted, what kind of surprises will the second batch of coins bring? Will all the enhanced coins be PL/DPL? Could be….stay tuned. It will have implications either way.

@Dustyroads- good point, unless the Denver Mint packaging and shipping Dept. is populated with former Las Vegas card dealers.

73. Keep Calm & Stack On says

GF – I hear ya! Rather glad to see the large FS/ER buys from the retailers.., they should be priced right in due time as previous discussed.

As of right now, I just want to ask, “Will the real Jack please stand up?!”

I mean we have:
    a) Zebra stripped Jack – seems prominent
    b) Dull Jack – the ones I have (w/o stripes)
    c) PL Jack, or should we call him 40% Proof Jack
    & d) DLP Jack, or 90% Proof Jack

So how was Jack intended by the mint?

74. Hawkster says

By downplaying this C&C set, beginning with the initial press release where there was no mention of an enhanced Sac, the Mint has unwittingly stumbled on a new sales strategy. The word “enhanced” was not even mentioned in the original product description. The accompanying photos that the Mint provided also did not offer any hint as to how the Sac was enhanced.
    It was not until posters commented on the enhanced Sac in the set, after which the speculation and interest started to take off. And yesterday, when a poster on another forum posted pictures of the enhanced Sac, things exploded. I then realized that a sellout was imminent.
    Yeah, the Mint basically let the coin forums run with it and fuel the frenzy. And you know what? I wouldn’t mind if the Mint did this with a future offering. It was fun–at least to those who paid attention to what was happening and got their orders placed in time. Come on Mint, pop another surprise.

75. Tinto says

@Hawkster

Agree … I too thought it was executed very well … nothing was telegraphed ..it was like a mystery waiting to be discovered … unlike the JFK roll out which I thought was over the top marketing …

76. KEITHSTER says

Yup the coin discovery kit for big kids but I think they knew it from the get-go. I can here it now watch this cherry-pickin don’t think so returns ah don’t think so mad customers ah don’t wait we always get those so no fair not fair so who told you life was fair?P off the big no they’re in the know all in the know sould know. Wait list wait told ya no returns there all gone but if you want we’ll open it for a couple of min. cause you know what’s his name? As for the which is which JFK’s back to the collect the 4 differant don’t think we’ll ever know how many of each there be but atleast we got 4 for 1 so enjoy if it is the die wear thingy should be about the same unless you make to big of a thing of the PL’s and the pump the rest out on the warn dies. So just a shout out Thank You to the Mint for atleast trying to restore the order histoy removing your coin of the year to out of stock and the fun in the adult dicovery set. So Good Luck And Stay Tuned Any Buddy Out There:>:>:>:>:>:>:>

77. cagcrisp says

So much for FIFO. After Keep Calm & Stack On talked me into Buying yesterday, I did 3 Identical orders. Boom, Boom, Boom. THEN I realized that I wanted one of these going out of state. Went back on the website and inputted a Whole new shipping address. Probably took 20 minutes. Went in and made a Purchase to the new shipping address. The Sales number was 226 After the First of the Initial 3. The Last order with the out of state shipping address has Shipped and the Others are still Processing.

SO…..a Purchase 20 minutes later and 226 orders later has shipped and others are Processing…So much for FIFO…

78. mark says

All three of my 54 total packages are on their way. Just noticed I still had 99 in my shopping bag, from just playing around. Tried to checkout an it says. SORRY THIS PRODUCT IS NO LONGER AVAILIBIBLE. The sold out sign will come after all credit cards are verified.

79. Keep Calm & Stack On says

Shucks Cag, I was hoping you’d share a buyers remorse story, how you were snookered by KCSO, & want me to buy them from you at cost! May be next time… 😉

Where’s the #’s?!!!

80. cagcrisp says

@Keep Calm & Stack On, I’ll only be snookered if I can’t unload, then I will be ” in Hot now” and you will have to change your name again…

81. CasualCollector says

I wonder if “Remind Me” Button is just a free way to get more email addresses (to send emails for future offerings). Or it could simply mean they are not sold out yet…

82. mark says

Went from out of stock to (currently) out of stock. Wonder how long it takes to get more minted. Now we should be able to get first strike…. early release.

83. Wes says

I wasn’t interested in the coin and currency set before and I am still not interested Enjoy your hoard of Sacs.

Don’t worry about it. The 50,000 mintage of the unique dollar coin will carry this set for a while. I’m willing to gamble more money on it when the second batch becomes available. Be ready to pounce, because the second wave will fly off the shelves. That is, unless the Mint imposes an ordering limit for the next batch, which they very well might.

The 50k “limit” is for the “product”, or, folder with the dollar bill and dollar coin in it. The “mintage limit” of the dollar coin itself is non existent, “None”. The Mint can still and I am guessing already have minted 100’s of thousands or millions of the EU coins. The dollar bill somehow being related to Lewis And Clark has me baffled and if there is in fact something about the dollar bill we don’t know yet will be the real rarity. Of course this is all IMHO…

86. Robert says

I started collecting coins in 2014. I’ve been to conventions and notice a rift between people who collect old and new coins, more often than not the old timers scoff at modern coins, refusing to accept them into the halls of the coin collecting hobby, which to a certain extent I understand. I follow the advice I was given to me which was collect what you like, so my collection thus has old and new coins alike. A question about this set: I understand the resale value if the mintage is low, but it’s hard for me to understand buying 1,000s of these. Is there really that much of a post-sell out demand? Won’t it take so long, years on Ebay, that you’ll just go insane? Thank you.

87. CoachMike says

I think the write-up for this product was poorly done, perhaps on purpose. They left out VERY important information on the coin, now we are left with a possible surprise “PURPOSE “of the bill.

88. Hawkster says

Brad,
    You still think there is a second batch of these C&C sets yet to be produced? You have undying optimism.

89. Dave SW FL says

2cents
    When has the mint ever created a unique finish for a coin and then released that coin for general circulation?
    My prediction is that this is similar to the matte finish nickel only minted for the Botanical Gardens set

90. Dave SW FL says

And I think it is sold out. I will be very surprised if it goes back up for sale. Won’t last long if it does!

Yeah, I’m pretty certain that only the first batch is sold out. The fact that the Mint changed the status to “temporarily” out of stock on the website reinforces that line of thought.

Now, if only the Mint would update those sales numbers through Sunday night, we can get an idea of how many units the first batch consisted of. I figure it was 20,000-25,000. Of course, it still may be hard to tell since there was undoubtedly a sales surge yesterday after those pictures of the $1 coin were posted. The confirmation of a unique coin must have been like throwing gasoline on a fire.

Whoops, make that “currently” out of stock. I didn’t look at the page again until after I posted. Either way, it makes it sound like they will be back at some point, and that’s the important thing.

mark says
    NOVEMBER 25, 2014 AT 1:39 PM

If you know how the Mint works, they have the coins, it is always the printer and/or packaging that they are waiting on…

cagcrisp says
    NOVEMBER 25, 2014 AT 12:38 PM

That sucks but I don’t trust what that site says. All my orders still say processing and I have had some ship, some not, all I had to call to straighten order out…

$2k for a label…I would’ve bought 20 sets and took my chances by having a trained eye advise on which ones to submit. May have same some benjamins..

96. coachmike says

My order for CC made yesterday at 3:02 just shipped. #27335xx

I’m guessing that only a few thousand people/businesses will control the entire 50,000 pretty much.

97. Blair J Tobler says

Looks like jeff answered his own question….

jeff says

November 14, 2014 at 7:24 am

2014 C & C set so you pay $19 including shipping for 2$ IN CLAD AND PAPER, who in hell thought this idea up. REALLY
    REALLY
    REALLY DO PEOPLE REALLY BUY THIS CRAP

jeff says

November 25, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Wes, thanks I will enjoy my 10 dozen set. FYI they all shipped.

98. Chuck says

I’ve seen a few comments on this and other sites concerning how large the collecting community is for Sacagawea coins and I looked at the 2000 C & C set . Currently selling in upwards of a $100 with a set mintage of 75,000. Assuming all 50k of this year’s set are sold and no additional EU Sacs are sold I’d be more than happy to make 3 or 4 times (or more?) profit on this years set.

If there is support for 75,000 there is support for 50,000.

99. Hawkster says

Jeff,
    Do you mean it ( C&C set) went from “crap” to the greatest thing since sliced bread? That’s one hell of a flip flop you did. Congratulations.

100. Jon in CT says

coachmike wrote on November 25, 2014 at 2:58 PM:

And I’m guessing the number of folks with existing Sacagawea collections is even smaller. 🙂

@Dave SW FL, First, this isn’t a release for “general circulation”. The Mint produces circulating coins for that. But to answer your question one example of a special coin released for circulation is the 2000P Sacagawea “Boldly Detailed Tail Feathers”. The Mint produced 5,500 of those and one sold recently in 66 grade for $5,060.00

102. Eagle One says

Removing the K13 House Hold Limit certainly added a significant punch up in the sales numbers. This has produced an unnatural trend with a sharp bend upward in the right tail of the raw data plot. Therefore, the model I have been running is no longer valid and can no longer be tightly fitted to a natural curve. I also tried a number of different polynomials and still could not get a satisfactory fit. Additionally, with the First Strike window closing soon and everyone on the hunt for the DMPL; this will most definitely influence the trend line again. Last week, K13 sets were selling at a rate of 3,000 per day – the highest daily rate since the first week of sales. Someone is buying in unusually large numbers. With 14,176 silver sets left to go, the initial 180,000 will most likely be gone this week or next. The big question now is; will the Mint opt for another production run of 45,000? Which equates to an additional $4.5M in revenue. It wouldn’t surprise me if they go for the 225,000 with the hopes of selling them all by December 30th 2014. If they do, they could most likely end up with about 20,000 or so lingering into 2015. As a collector; I would like to see the K13 Silver Set end at 180,000. But the Mint probably has its eye on the $4.5M still hanging on the tree.

Also, I did my very best to mathematically model the end date of the K13 scenario for you all. However, the variables kept changing and the time period was very short with a very large upward shift near the end. This whole experience was taught me that I am not the only one looking at the sales data and that the Mint is also very adept at turning the marketing knobs as needed to get results.

103. TimTom says

Sweet!! My order at 5:00PM for one C&C set shipped at 12:30 this afternoon. Bias toward single set orders? LIFO FTW!

If there’s too long of a delay in getting the next batch ready, then the “First Strike” or “Early Releases” aficionados should be happy if the first batch was indeed that small.

105. GoldFishin says

@brad- you are correct, the FS/ER window will be key if that is anywhere close to what was sold in the first batch.

@timtom- ruh roh pretty much sums it up 🙂 wraggy, is that you wraggy?

106. Dave SW FL says

Looks like I was WRONG and there will be another batch later – if so, I will be picking up several more. My original order shipped UPS today.

2cents good call!

Yeah…since little was known prior to the roll out… that is a decent number. Keep in mind that was from Thursday to Sunday (I think).

I’m still on the fence about this set – since I still don’t see the pairing. I agree with others… a $2 bill would have made more sense. The Enhanced is a nice twist – but I would have enjoyed the entire set more with the $2 bill.

108. cagcrisp says

Guesstimates on Initial Reported Sales of 2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set:
    • NC_Stacker 2,500 to 3,500

• cagcrisp 17,777
    • Mark Rex 18,505
    • Don 20,500
    • Dustyroads 30,000
    • Jsm, sell out on Monday

109. Keep Calm & Stack On says

GF – hear that hissing sound? Cautiously look up!

2014 ATB SILVER UNC 5 OZ – GT SND 22,581 11/16/2014
    2014 ATB SILVER UNC 5 OZ – GT SND 22,729 11/23/2014

2014 ATB SILVER UNC 5 OZ – EVRGLD 17,218 11/16/2014
    2014 ATB SILVER UNC 5 OZ – EVRGLD 17,913 11/23/2014

While I should be thrilled with my Free Shipping promo come Friday, some life could be blown into these with a discount! 15% would work for me! 🙂

Wow,I haven’t seen this much enthusiasm for clad in a long time. Hope it brings in some new younger collectors…And new paper collectors…Cheers numismatics!

111. cagcrisp says

The numbers for the Silver Kennedy does NOT match what Michael posted. The spreadsheet shows 166,291 +21,719

The Clad Kennedy is showing the number that Michael Showed for the Silver Kennedy 165,824 +16,896
    Gold Kennedy 67,301 +442

SO….My guess, Those numbers got transposed…

112. Jon in CT says

cagcrisp wrote on November 25, 2014 at 4:17 PM:

@Keep Calm & Stack On, Numbers are OUT

9,720 for the $1 Coin & Currency

Wow, the Mint sold fewer than 10,000 sets of TA9 through midnight Sunday. That suggests the Mint had fewer than 15,000 sets available for immediate fulfillment. Which, in turn, suggests it might take a long time to actually sell all 50,000 sets (I’m sure Eagle One will soon issue another of his sell-out date predictions for TA9).

Good luck to all of you brand new Sacagawea coin collectors. 🙂

113. Keep Calm & Stack On says

2014 AM EAGLE SILVER UNC 1 OZ 215,885 11/23/2014

2014 ANNUAL $1 UNC SET 19,834 11/23/2014

235, 719 total sold – who is buying all of these? And why?

114. hw says

Off-Topic.

Goldmart has the 2014 W,S,P,D 50c Silver Kennedy Half Dollar 50th Anniversary 4-Coin Set PCGS MS70 / PR70 First Strike (Signature, Ask Not Label) for $340. Note that the JFK silver unc is graded as PCGS PRF70 DCAM First Strike.

115. GoldFishin says

@KCSO- my only question is…when will the Mint pull the plug on these…will they languish into 2015, or will they end them at the end of the year? Cautiously look South!!

116. Hawkster says

If you buy the annual Mint proof and uncirculated sets, which thousands do, than you are automatically a Sacagawea collector. There’s your collector base. Any questions?

117. Jon in CT says

Hawkster wrote on November 25, 2014 at 5:16 PM:

I see. The folks who’ve already bought the coins they collect via the Mint’s proof and/or uncirculated sets are somehow now in desperate need of the 2014 American $1 Coin and Currency set. Makes perfect sense. 🙄

118. Hawkster says

Jon,

No, not the set. Just the coin. Spend the dollar bill and throw out the cardboard. Any more questions?

119. Eagle One says

Jon in Conn,

K13 was the last of my forecasting efforts. Why you ask? Well, there were several market influencing announcements that broke trend from week to week and the resultant was a variably modal upward moving target (an unnatural trend). Also, moving average trend analysis did not work well either. This was due to the Mint’s continued efforts to boost sales on a weekly basis through announcements. The Mint is definitely on top of their marketing strategy and certainly has the ability to get what they want. Hind-site is 20:20. Do you concur?

I have a question for everyone. If the Mint does in fact stamp out 100’s of thousands or millions of these, what will that do to the re-sale ability and TPG labeling? Will they still hold value because there were only 50k put in the cardboard holder? If that is the case then the TR Discovery Set should be more valuable because they are limited to 20k and are still for sale.

121. Keep Calm & Stack On says

2 cents – I’ll admit, I’m must be smok’n something rather heavy to think that I’ll EVER get my AtB Puck discount of 10-15%

You Sir, must be injecting something, to think that more than 50k will be minted when it’s 25 November…

Anything else you want to ask? 🙂

122. Alfred E. Numismatic says

@fmtransmitter says
    NOVEMBER 25, 2014 AT 4:44 PM

Wow,I haven’t seen this much enthusiasm for clad in a long time.

That’s because it’s semi affordable and a chance for us po folk to gain a little on something that doesn’t require the common person to drop a mere $100 to $2,500 out their imaginary bottomless bank accounts, as we’re often lead to read.

123. Senior says

I have been reading but hesitant to write.What is the significants of the coin and currency set and if a buyer were to buy 10 set will Serial numbers be in series,please pardon my ignorance.Does this set have potential?

Senior,

I doubt the Mint kept the sets in serial number sequence, but I don’t know that for a fact. I have not received my sets yet. I think chances would be good to at least get SOME sets in serial number sequence if you order a fairly good size group, but I don’t think they will ALL run in sequence.

I think the set has good potential due to the special finish on the $1 coin, especially if the only place it is sold is in this set, and that being the case no more than 50,000 of the coins would be issued.

125. senior says

Brad. Thank you.If I get the opportunity when they reappear I will attempt to purchase several.Happy Thanksgiving