US Mint To Remove Household Limits on 50th Anniversary Kennedy Sets

kennedy-silverThe United States Mint has announced that they will be lifting the household ordering limits on the 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar Uncirculated Coin Set and Silver Coin Collection effective Monday, November 17, 2014 at 12:01 AM.

This year, the US Mint created three separate products to mark the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy Half Dollar. The Uncirculated Coin Set containing two clad coins with an uncirculated finish went on sale July 24. Initially, the sets were offered with an ordering limit of five sets per household and without a stated product limit. A product limit of 200,000 units was subsequently established.

A three-quarter ounce gold proof coin was offered for sale starting on August 5. The initial ordering limit was five coins per household for online and phone orders. The ordering limit was lifted on October 14. The product remains without a stated product limit.

The final product was the silver coin collection containing 90% silver half dollars struck at four different facilities with four different finishes. The collection went on sale on October 28, carrying an ordering limit of five units per household and product limit of 300,000 units.

The sales levels from the weekly reports for each of the products are reproduced below. The removal of the limit for the gold proof coin last month did not have much of an impact on sales. However, the removal of the ordering limit for the clad and silver sets may have more of an impact due to the lower price points and the stated product limits.

Clad Set Gold Proof Coin Silver Set
10/12/2014 133,818 64,098
10/19/2014 134,631 64,303
10/26/2014 136,614 65,039
11/2/2014 141,808 66,054 125,147
11/9/2014 146,222 66,547 137,802

Comments

Just wanted to clarify I am not blaming OKC dealer for issues with bullion pucks and I truly believe this is how they got them from the Mint. Check your word Everglades at an angle everyone and please chime in…

2. Hawkster says

I don’t believe that lifting the limits on the Kennedy silver sets will result in any dramatic increase in sales this late into the offering. The Kennedy collector base proved to be thinner than the Mint anticipated. I would think that collectors now have all the sets they wanted and the flippers have simply melted away.

3. Hawkster says

Eagle One,
    Let’s face it, everything is a “First Strike” now. What a joke theseTPG companies are perpetrating on the coin community.

4. Sith says

I guess with this announcement we can guess that the initial mintage of 180K for the silver sets will be the final production mintage

5. Hawkster says

Sith,
    Agreed. And that is good news from a collector standpoint. I think that the Mint will continue to struggle to reach 180,000 sales.

6. Boz says

Still looking for the silver initial 180k to be all that are sold unless there is some crazy spike in the market. A year from now there will still be some left unless there is a mass mailing to other than just the typical collector mailing list. It would take a 1962-1964 style silver rush to sell out the other 120,000.

7. mark says

I think lots more will be ordered. Now that the limit will be removed, looking for the potential proof like enhanced. You can always return them.

8. jeff says

Blair J Tobler says

November 14, 2014 at 7:53 am

“Yes, jeff, people DO buy this “crap”. I, among others, happen to like these kind of offerings. I collect for the fun of it, not the potential future “value”. If you don’t like them, fine – don’t buy them. But you don’t have to be a jerk about it. Not everyone shares your narrow and negative view of things”

Where to start BJ Its people like you that buy this crap that keeps the mint thinking we has some suckers hooked. I will sell you 5 different Sacagawea and 5 different $1 dollar bills and pay shipping for $20. This is what happens the mint does not have to be imaginative makes them lazy, just sell the same old sh*t to people like BJ, the mint thanks you BJ. I’ll give you another tip the clad Kenney’s are the sleepers only 100k of each where on earth can you buy a clad Kenney with a production of 100k I’ll tell you know where that’s the last tip I give you.

9. Erik H says

Eagle One, it looks like they have a Gold Kennedy NGC PF70 for $1,750.00 and a NGC PF69 for $1,575.00. At those prices they ‘ll be holding on to them for a while.

10. NC_Stacker says

Not to be a downer here… This ship sailed long ago. With Christmas weeks away disposal income is being averted to other things.

If CV and the HSN types move in, at this point they will do is flood the market with Slabs that it will take a while ( years or poc or poc upward movement) to make these increase in value.

11. CasualCollector says

@fmtransmitter
    Regarding the refund of return shipping.

I went to Order History (as suggested by another member here – thanks).

Hit the Button labeled “Return Items from this Order”

Filled out the return information, and they actually emailed me a UPS Return Shipping Label. I printed their label, put it on the box, and dropped it off at UPS. I dropped it off on a Thursday evening, and they received it on the following Tuesday. They credited my credit card on Thursday (one week after I shipped it back).

btw, I had gone through the 5 sets and made 3 really good sets. Returned 2 sets. I’m not sure if I will re-order the 2 sets or wait to get some graded 70’s on eBay.

Regards,
    CC

12. jeff says

My guess for the remaining 54K to sell out is December 15th maybe soon since the limit was lifted, there’s only 100k each of the P&D and Unc. to boot, nowhere else in the Kennedy plethora of offerings has there been a lower mintage I know CLAD Who da thunk. buy what you can there going quick..

13. Leo S. says

To Fmtransmitter

Yes I too received some Everglades 5 oz. coins and the area around the word EVERGLADES has a fuzzy look to it. All the coins had that same problem. Coins came from APMEX. In the past, all their coins were very good. Maybe all the Everglade coins have this same problem. Oh well, it is just bullion.

14. Hawkster says

Jeff,
    The 1998 matte finish Kennedy had a mintage of about 62,000. That would represent the lowest mintage of the Kennedy series.

15. jeff says

Hawkste,r thanks for the clarification, I don’t follow the Kennedys that closely I would imagine there is a premium on that coin with that low a mintage.

16. Hawkster says

Jeff,
    There sure is a good sized premium for this coin. Just check the ebay listings. Itcame as part of a two coin set, along with a Robert Kennedy silver dollar.

17. Keep Calm & Stack On says

Mount Rushmore design won the category of “Best Circulating Coin” in the Krause Publications 2015 Coin of the Year Awards.

Congrats to Joseph Menna who designed and engraved this stellar work of art!

Thanks CC and Leo S…BTW if you are an older person getting SS, you are helping keep the economy going by spending it. I, on the other hand, doubt I will get that chance when I turn the age to receive it, as I predict it will be gone…
    I will play with the dip and if that doesn’t shine er up, lightly hit er with some silver polish and possible dremel action. I want it uniform and it just looks like crap with that “haze” around Everglades. That is such a major focal point of this offering…

19. Hawkster says

Fm,
    I have a better solution than the dip or Dremel to not see a haze on the Everglades puck: Opt for the uncirculated version. It’s great looking.

20. Keep Calm & Stack On says

NC – agree with your posting, that ship has sailed and Kennedy collectors now have their sets.., probably mostly all retailers and speculators that will dive in on it now. I’d like to know more about this PL SP JFK, otherwise I’m done with it.

No one saw this HH limit being pulled LESS THAN 3 weeks in the silver release, though we all know why. I would like like to know how these sets are selling for the retailers, anyone know? If it’s not meeting their expectation, doubtful we’ll see 180k reached.

For all you optimist out there – I still planning on the mint pulling a rabbit out of the hat come Thanksgiving with a Black Friday 10%-15% discount on select silver items! 🙂

And Bob R – any chance what we saw today in Ag was just the beginning of your dead cat bounce? Guess we’ll know in a week or two…

21. NC_Stacker says

@ KCSO

In the set I sent back and after seeing all these posts about that PL SP. I had that PL SP coin in that set. I thought that the die strike was well used and the background was just about gone.

Now I wish i would have kept that set… having the PL SP and keeping a unspotted RP….. Oh well.

22. A Bob says

I still think the clad and silver Kennedy sets will sell out. I bought several sets as gifts and may buy more.

23. Keep Calm & Stack On says

I’m not seeing anything from PCGS on it –

2014-S 50C Enhanced – Silver 50th Anniversary Set – 68 / 69 /70 / Total, 1, 76, 190, Total=267

2014-D 50C Silver 50th Anniversary Set – 65, 66, 67, _, 69, 70, Total
    + 1, 2, 1, 0, 82, 178, Total = 265

All FS, no mention of PL

24. Keep Calm & Stack On says

Hey Dusty, thought you may be interested to know I’m going make Texas proud tomorrow! My contribution to a fam thanksgiving gathering is aTexas style dry rub brisket just thrown into the smoker over applewood that’s just piping away – I’ll be passing the turkey! lol Back in 6 hours

Keep Calm & Stack On, Sounds delicious. Have you tried them done over mesquite? That’s what I’m talking about! Enjoy, and don’t pick out too much of that fat, it adds so much flavor. It’s best not to be too picky while enjoying a brisket. Yum.

26. Bob R says

Keep Calm and Stack On, now that’s what I like for Thanksgiving, I always prefer my meat to have been born, have 4 legs, and no feathers.

27. Ends in Error says

The Mint must have a lot of returns they want to recycle into the casual buyer market. Cant blame them for trying. Bottom line is sales.

28. Keep Calm & Stack On says

Ends in Error – good point, this coming sales report would be the week to possibly see negative sales if it were to happens (as it did with the gold JFK from returns).

Dusty – we have a winner! But yes, I’ve heard good things about mesquite and will have to try that next. There’s many comforts of life I could live without, though my smoker is not one of them.

Bob R – you wouldn’t have made a good pilgrim! lol The first Thanksgiving dinner (meat-wise) consisted of eel, bay clams and oysters…, NOT bad if you’re sitting on cases of corona, tabasco sauce, sushi rolls, and lemon.., a deep fryer would have been handy too!

I guess the ’14 LESPS will be a December purchase and March delivery (again).

29. cagcrisp says

A Gold Kennedy sold yesterday for $3,514.95. Highest price paid for a Kennedy in 57 days. It was a PF 70″ANA” show coin.

Sold as a Buy it Now

There seems to be much speculation that the Great Sand Dunes (GSD) 5 ounce silver bullion coin will be scarce or appreciate considerably. That’s possible. But I keep thinking that this design is similar to the Chaco Culture National Historical Park design — which was ridiculed by many and has low demand.

I believe that the US Mint has minted about 20,000 – 22,000 of the GSD bullion coin. So far, the US Mint has sold fewer of this coin than any of the other 2014 ATBs. Low sales equates to low demand. Low sales does not necessarily equate to low mintages or higher secondary market premiums.

With all this being said, it is quite possible that the GSD bullion coin will have the same, or maybe lower premiums than the other 2014 ATB bullion coins.

31. cagcrisp says

Here are the Total Sales on the bay for the Gold Kennedy (search 2014 Gold Kennedy) :

2014 gold Kennedy -(68,69,70)
    between $500-$1,700

$1,200.01 $1,300.00 57
    $1,300.01 $1,400.00 214
    $1,400.01 $1,500.00 182
    $1,500.01 $1,600.00 80
    $1,600.01 $1,700.00 44

34. stephen m says

@fmtransmitter, you could see the “haze” as a morning fog or smoke from a swamp fire and let it ride. It looks like you are going to get it to suit you. I think that’s a good thing. Lots a luck.

35. Chuck says

JagFan – Thanks. I have a couple grand kids, 4 & 6, whose dad played some pro ball years ago. Nice that Honus is starting off the set.

36. Tinto says

@Leo S.

I ordered and received a GSD 5oz bullion from Apmex … saw bits of tiny but noticeable specks of dark spotting in the river …. and the obverse seem to have a slight haze around the rim area… wondering if anyone else with a GSD have this ..

37. Arizona Billy says

You may want to pair a gold Kennedy coin with gold Jackie coin…

Him and Her, a potential winner.

Billy the Kid

38. Mark Rex says

I bought a box of $500 half dollars from the bank today and found a 1954 Franklin and about 15 each 2013 and 2014 Kennedy’s. I was amazed at all these finds especially the 2014’s as these had to come from sets sold by the US Mint right? I know the Fed ordered then canceled a bunch of either 13s or 14s (think 13s) but it looks like these were put in circulation which should upset anyone who bought rolls or bags or a lot of UNC sets got broken up and deposited. Insights?

Tinto, I buy from APMEX and haven’t had a problem like the one you described above, neither have the GSD had problems other than typical bullion quality.

40. Hawkster says

Every so often you hear of collectors who buy the bags or rolls of quarters and half dollars from the Mint and then intentionally place a quantity of these into circulation. I assume it gives them some kind of thrill knowing that people will find these “treasures”. Recently, I recall one of the Blog’s posters stating that he did just this with some of the San Francisco ATB quarters.

Hawkster, I remember that comment too and I can see the quarters ending up in circulation very easily, but since the 50 cent is not a circulating coin, I have to wonder if there’s not more to this story. The mysteriously high 2013 mintage comes to mind.

42. GoldFishin says

@FMT- I received my Everglades pucks from Provident today-. The quality is very nice and they are very DMPL. However they all had the poor polishing around the word Everglades like you spoke about. It wasn’t terrible and I don’t think it is enough to knock them out of 69 Dmpl, especially since it not post production. I agree it does hurt the “eye appeal” a little bit, but overall on mine the fields are excellent with no marks or spots, so I think that sort of balances them out. I am happy with them.

43. jayjaspersgarage says

Yes, I did post this:

‘Just for fun I put several rolls of “S” quarters into circulation every year. Sure it costs a small premium on a $100 bag but it gives people who pay attention a big surprise once in a while. I also plant Indian Head cents in small cent rolls that are returned to the bank occasionally.’

A few worn buffalo nickels just went to the bank in a mix of four returned rolls.

I did purchase three of the Kennedy silver four coin sets. Very nice coins in all three sets.

44. Erik H says

I drop 20 “S” El Yunque quarters into circulation then tried to find at least one. I’ve haven’t succeeded yet. In early 2012 I found a 2011 half dollar while roll searching. I just found a 1949 Franklin a few weeks ago.

45. Hawkster says

Jayjaspersgarage,

I wonder how many individuals who received those “S” ATB quarters as change were even aware of what they got, as the general public is not likely to look for a Mint mark. But, what is most important is that you have fun doing it.
    I, on the other hand, enjoy practical jokes. When I visited The Midwest this past spring, I brought back to New York a bunch of political signs that were still up from an Ohio town’s concluded trustee and school board elections. I then planted these signs around my neighborhood in October for our own recent election campaigns. I’m pretty sure that I confused the heck out of quite a few neighbors, based on their reactions. I did later admit to them that I was the culprit, and they all took it with laughs.

46. Tinto says

@Dustyroads

Thanks. just my luck with the bullion, I guess. Maybe I might go for graded ones in the future …..

47. Boz says

Our banks deny that you can get half dollars or $2 bills. No longer made or available is the most common answer followed by I never heard of that from the younger employees.

As for the pilgrims what history book are you reading. They came looking for slabbed gold Kennedy in Massachusetts. Finding no gold they tried farming but failed. Native Americans bailed them out with corn and fried chipmunks. After robbing the Native Americans, they went on to invent witchcraft, engage in the slave and rum trade, and eventually invented the bundled mortgage derivatives that crashed the economy in 2007. Brisket, bah humbug!

Boz, Nobody’s perfect! In fact, the pioneers did need more time to learn what freedom was. I like to think that their mistakes were our gain.

49. David says

I’m not sure there will be a big impact from lifting the limit. I think those who wanted these would have ordered by now. And I am sure flippers would have found ways around the limits. I know these aren’t considered bullion coins but considering silvers decline I feel the price should be reduced to more accurately reflect that.

50. jayjaspersgarage says

Boz,

My local BofA always has the $2 bills available. I pick some up every week or so and spend them all over the San Francisco Bay Area. Occasional I get a batch of uncirculated $2 bills in sequential order and list them on eBay. I also buy rolls of halves to spend. Peoplelove seeing the big money.

I know I am way off topic but want to say that within the past two years I picked up two long rolls of halves in old brown wrappers at the bank. Face value for both was $40. My heart literally skipped a beat when I found one roll to be full of Franklin halves and the other had mostly Liberty Walking halves and the rest Franklin. Not a bad score in 2012!

Ironically, several years ago a young bank employee at Chase Bank once told me that the bank did not consider the Presidential dollars “real money”. That was the day I opened my first BofA account. Same bank requires a week to obtain $25 small cent boxes. The B of A holds two per week for me without asking.

As for my three sets of the silver Kennedy halves I may order two more sets depending on the grades of the two I choose to send in.

51. mgm says

Provident is not putting them in airtites. AMPEX is… I got a Florida 5 ozer from each.

Dustyroads says

November 15, 2014 at 9:06 pm

GoldFishin, Is Provident still not putting their single 5 oz. coins in capsules? I will order from them if they do.

52. Two Cents says

Coin World has just announced in their December 1 issue that the 2014 Coin Discovery Set “will contain three Kennedy half dollars with different finishes – one each from the Denver (circulation quality), Philadelphia (Uncirculated Mint set) and San Francisco Mints (Proof). The set also includes an educational booklet about the coin production process, coin tubes, a magnifying glass, and cotton gloves.”

It will go on sale with no ordering limits at 12:00 pm ET on December 16 for $24.95.

53. jeff says

Oh Brother! Just What We Need More Kennedys Floating Around Guess We Just Found Out What The Plan Is With The Excess Kennedy’s That Are Lying Around The Mint. Boy &1.50 Worth Of Clad For $30 Bucks NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

54. jeff says

So We Get This Right US Mint A Single Gold Kennedy, A Dual Uncirculated Set, A Triple Discovery Set, A Quad Silver Set. I Believe There’s More You Can Bundle Before The End Of The Year. This Is Getting So Ridiculous Doesn’t Make Sense. I Suppose As Long As BJ Is Buying This Crap They Will Keep Minting. I Guess This Will Command A Premium Because No One Wants This Set.

55. Keep Calm & Stack On says

Thanks 2 cents – sounds like a nice gift for a young collector wannabe, & perhaps present worthy for Christmas with a release date of 16 Dec??? They’re cutting it kinda of close for the big load up on Santa’s slay, aren’t they?

Boz – you failed to pin terrorism, global warming, and the future disastrous impact of BO’s immigration reform on them too, gotta a feeling Santa will be bring you a lump of coal!

56. Keep Calm & Stack On says

Mark Rex – earlier in the year I had planned to send in a handful of JFK 50th Ann clads for grading that were busted out of the cards and subsequently I decided against sending them in to cut my loss. They’ll be 10 – 2014 HR JFK clads finding their way into charity buckets here shortly, so keep an eye out for those. It’s my $45 lesson learned/$5 tax deduction! 🙂

57. Hawkster says

I’m sure all the young collectors out there are eagerly anticipating getting Kennedy coins in their stockings.

Keep Calm and Stack On,
    What’s this loading up and slaying Santa? That can’t be good.

58. GoldFishin says

@Dusty- As MGM said, provident no longer ships in capsules. I have capsules left over from previous submissions of the ATP SP pucks that fit perfectly. You can purchase 5 oz capsules on Ebay for anywhere from $2.50 to $4.00 with free shipping. Considering some of the other bullion dealers are $8-$10 more expensive for the coin and higher on shipping as well, I think it is a fair trade off as long as quality is comparable.

59. GoldFishin says

@Hawkster- I think he is proposing to “sleigh” Santa with the young collector’s set. 😉
    Angry much?

60. GoldFishin says

Are we sure that the Discovery set proof S Kennedy is clad and not silver? The article from Coinworld does not specify. That would make a little more sense with the price of the set.

61. Boz says

Thanks for the insight guys. I will go bug the bank this week. 50+ years ago it was the same thing…certain people got rolls of 1903-O Morgans from the bank at face, while as a kid I was told they had no dollar coins. Guess it is time to become a certain person instead of a kid.

Christmas is a good time to ask I guess, but my credit union said they charge extra for mint rolls of quarters. Is that kosher?

62. NC_Stacker says

@BOZ

As a former bank teller, it depends on the branch/bank. Now days most branches will not have have coins/bills that are not in high demand. And since we are moving more digital, less and less physical will be on hand.

If you ask the teller they will say “sorry we don’t carry them” , but they can get them. It’s just more work for them.

In today’s world if you are unhappy talk to the branch manager. You are the customer and they know that. If you are unhappy then you will take your banking business elsewhere.

It also pays to get to know your branch manager. 😉

63. cagcrisp says

I have been Completely Wrong about demand for the Clad Kennedy, the Gold Kennedy and the Silver Kennedy. Completely Wrong. I Still think the Golds will perform Great given time.

The Mint changing the HH limits will have Minimal affect on Sales. I don’t see Either the Clad’s or the Silvers (not even 180k) Selling out. I think the One thing you can discern from the HH limit lift it the Mint has NO intention of Kennedy Sales going beyond 2014.

Another thing that I take out of the Whole Kennedy offering is just how weak the market Currently is for Anything Non Bullion.

The Mint really has some decisions to make and if they don’t make the correct ones, the Only thing I will be buying from the Mint is Bullion offerings (and those want come directly from the Mint)…

Hawkster says

November 14, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Fm,

Oh yes, received it, looks great!

In reference to the 2014 Discovery Set, Given the price, there’s little chance that any one of them will be silver. In addition, there’s no reference to them being high relief.

66. Jon in CT says

Dustyroads wrote on November 16, 2014 at 3:25 PM:

Given that the Mint has never issued any high relief Kennedy coins, it’s unsurprising there won’t be any in the Discovery set.

I plan to buy at least one of the 2014 Native American $1 Coin and one of the Currency Set and the 2014 Coin Discovery set. I really like these special sets from the US Mint. They add breadth and depth to my collection.

I am a bigger fan of collecting “classical” modern coins – Indian head and Lincoln pennies; Shield, Liberty, Buffalo, and Jefferson nickels, and so on.

68. Samuel says

GF, you can buy the capsule from P as well. It is just P doesn’t want to put the coin in the capsule.

69. Jon in CT says

NC_Stacker wrote on November 16, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Looks like the US mint site is down

The server at http://www.usmint.gov is taking too long to respond.

You’re correct — I’m not getting any response, either.

70. Two Cents says

2cents (nice name), have you noticed that in the photo of the Coin & Currency Set, the dollar coin is noted as being an “Enhanced Uncirculated Coin.” I wonder if that is a special finish, unique to this set, or are all of the Uncirculated Mint Set dollars enhanced? (According to the US Mint, the dollar is the same as the one in the Uncirc Mint Set.)

Two Cents, (I was thinking the same about your name). It would be nice to get something like that. I think we are past due for a unique collectable. I think it was some years before we found out about the Cheerios dollar…? I plan to get several of these and at least they will make nice gifts for the younger crowd.

As we close out the year… I am looking at the purchases I made this year. It seems the obvious winner for the year was the BHoF coins. I will say they 5 ounce ATB’s with the discount and designs this year were a close second for me. My least favorite was the CR coin – since I have collected the commemoratives and it seems to me that they have turned away from the collector with these and they appear to now be statement pieces. (obviously the BHoF coins are an apparent aberration).

I think the Kennedy issues this year… were/are a bit much. It appears they were nothing more at this point than a gratuitous money grab from the mint. It is obvious at this point there wasn’t a huge pent up demand…

Outside the mints offerings… I think the Provident Prospector bullion coin is my favorite round this year. The detail on the round totally surprised me. Along with the Zombucks… they seem to be trying to draw in new buyers.

73. Raphael says

Mint could do nothing at midnight, the Web site from what I have seen has been down since at least 5p 16Nov., and at 12:30 am or 00:30 hours on 17Nov, it is still not working. Verified by a few test sites.

74. Rudy says

Got in just after midnight. loaded extra sets, and it wouldn’t let me check out “you have exceeded the household limit”. Tried again at 12:30, same thing. Just got in again, and the limits are gone.

I think the clad will sell out quickly. 200,000 is an insanely low mintage for any clad coin. The limit throttled sales. Now that the limit is gone, the big time dealers can swoop in and gobble up the rest. The silver, not so much. 300,000 is a pretty high mintage for a silver comm.

75. Ends in Error says

I think there needs to be a truely ” accidental error” with these Coins to boost sales a bit. How about it Mint, can we get a Red Book type error in these Coins. A real unintentional “accidental ” error, of course. LOL

I’m gonna jump on a little bullion. Found a local willing to let go at just $.50 over spot…Pretty good!

77. cagcrisp says

For those Still having problems getting onto the Mint’s website, portions of the website Are working. Here is a link that can get you into certain areas of the website…Once In you can navigate to other areas…

78. bg35765 says

Rudy is right.

Think of it this way: A single dealer could buy all 54,000 remaining sets for $540,000. They would have control of more than 25% of a semi-key date coin for a relatively affordable amount.

They could either promote them heavily or withhold them from the market for a couple of years.

I think the clad will sell out today.

Japan is reported to be in another recession with debt twice the size of it’s economy and Abe talking about more stimulus. I don’t see how we could see the price of metals falling with this kind of news. If anything, it’s arguable that a rise should happen.

80. GoldFishin says

@Dusty- I agree completely….as someone else once said “Keep Calm and Stack On”!! It may be a matter of self preservation at some point.

That’s good advice for the clad “strong” obverse portrait Kennedy’s. These are perfect, inexpensive coins for gaining a modest premium. Not bad for clad, though they will be plentiful for a while.

82. GoldFishin says

@Cagcrisp- Don’t be so hard on yourself about maybe being a little overly enthusiastic on the JFK Mintages. I think you will be happy in the long run, especially with the gold. I for one really appreciate all you do for this blog. You put a lot of time and effort into your production and sales updates and I always appreciate being updated by you and Va Rich without having to do a lot of heavy research.
    On a related note, the JFK 70 graded silvers had their best weekend of prices since the offering began with many of the separately graded issues closing near or above $100 and the RP closing in the $140 to $150 area. Its seems that the Friday jump in silver prices has the Ebay PM buyers out in force, buying with no regard to price or previous sales history. We talked about that a week or so ago, it is happening again….even with a higher degree of exuberance than before.

83. Sith says

Dustyroads – You would need to price gold in Yen

“Gold in yen has outperformed its dollar cousin by just over 10% over a period of three months. In fact year-to-date gold priced in yen has returned +5.3% with a 10.7% annualized standard deviation while gold in dollars has returned -2.6% with a 12.5% annualized standard deviation.”

Just be prepare for another bout of the “Asian flu”

84. cagcrisp says

@GoldFishin, I got a couple more Gold Kennedy’s on Friday. Until then I still Thought we had a chance of another price decrease between now and year end. Now…not so much. I have been weighing the Possibility of a price Decrease vs. Pulling Sales and since I think all Sales will be concluded by year end I just went ahead and ordered. I am bullish on the Gold Kennedy and looking at Sales numbers of the Clads and Silvers and what I Anticipate sales will be for both products, I think the Gold will be the winner.

I also picked up a nice Gauden over the weekend. I am targeting Specific dates vs. Pricing. So far I am 1/3 of the way through what I am trying to accomplish. May take a year at the rate I am going…

85. coachmike says

There is no big rush for the new no limit Kennedys ordered at the US Mint at noon today. But I’m betting several big orders for the clads with clean out the 200,000 limit for this product today.
    Have a noon order and another order 5 minutes later for a different shipping box and there was a difference of 15 order numbers.
    Keep in mind also that ONE of the coins in this clad set will also be available in the Dec. 16th Discovery set as far as I can see. Correct me if I’m wrong. But one Kennedy will be max of 200,000.
    It really wouldn’t surprise me if some big collector/dealer tries to corner 25% of the clad market with ONE $500,000 order for the limit available. Guess those days of the Hunt brothers still rub off on me.
    Yes, this clad has been on backorder (shipping in 3 days) for several weeks now.

86. NC_Stacker says

@Sith

Also not just their economy or the threat of “Asian flu”, don’t the Fukushima reactors are still leaking.

Dustyroads says
    NOVEMBER 17, 2014 AT 11:29 AM

And all the silver trading, well, 99% of it, is paper!

88. Eagle One says

K15 Clad Uncirculated Set Sell Out Date Estimate:

Based upon the Official K15 Mint Data provided above, a graph was produced, and a trend line function was computed. The graph can be described as an S curve where the initial magnitude rises, mid way levels off flat, and then rises upward again. The rate of sales has increased noticeably in the last three weeks (4.4K per week in an upward rising trend). It has been estimated through mathematical extrapolation that the K15 Clad Uncirculated Set will reach the 200K sell out point in 139 days (4 months 19 days) from the first day sales began on 7/27/14. The K15 sell out day has been estimated to be December 16th 2014.

f(x) = 0.1556x³-30.479x²+2057.8x+84714

10/19/2014: 84: 134,631
    10/26/2014: 91: 136,614
    11/2/2014: 98: 141,808
    11/9/2014: 108: 146,222

89. CasualCollector says

@coachmike
    interesting speculation about the Clad HR (K14) coin being one of the coins in the Discovery set. It’s still not clear to me if that is the case.

However, keep in mind that the Mint did not say 200,000 “MINTAGE” limit. They only said 200,000 “Product Limit” on the 2-coin clad set (K14). So they could easily just make more of one of the clads for the Discoveryset. Or they could do an equal amount of “P” and “D” versions of the Discovery Set (example 5,000 with a “D” and 5,000 with a “P”). Or the assumption is wrong and it is NOT one of these coins in the Discovery Set.

We need a little more clarification from the US Mint (or insiders) on the exact coin(s) that will be included in that Discovery Set…

90. Eagle One says

Correction: It is “K14.”

The 50th Anniversary Kennedy 2014 Half-Dollar Uncirculated Coin Set

91. coachmike says

Really doubt they would do a little bit of both “P” and “D” clads. Probably one or the other. Either way it shouldn’t be too many more coins, maybe 20,000-25,000 of those sets max.

We have a different ballgame with the maximum mintage being added so late in the game. So that will throw off the probability table of the sellout date. A few biggies will jump in now and clean them out before Friday on the clad sets.

I expect the new Discovery set to contain one of these (K14) coins from the clad set, thus going slightly over the 200,000 max.

92. CasualCollector says

@GoldFishin
    Thanks for the updated info! I was not convinced it was a K14 Clad in that set — it was just unclear with the original wording at Coinworld. I’m glad they clarified that…

93. GoldFishin says

@NC Stacker- “Gruber Analysis” says…”if you like your Clad Set, you can keep your Clad Set”. In addition “your cost for the clad set, won’t go up, in fact will drop by $2500”, and as a bonus it “won’t add to your account deficit”. Oh, and any embedded cost in the Clad Set is not a tax, even though it is passed on to you. Hopefully, I didn’t dumb it down too much for you. because you are not supposed to figure any of this out!! 🙂

94. Eagle One says

@NC_Stacker,

The present sales trend indicates that the K14 Clad Sets will reach 200K on or about December 16th 2014.

95. Two Cents says

On the coinworld.com website, it was written that there is a transposition error on the wording on the back of the ATB Great Smoky Mountains Three-Coin Set. A collector had notified Coin World that a few days after receiving his set, he received a letter from the US Mint giving the following explanation:

“The United States Mint would like to note and apologize for the error on the America the Beautiful Quarters Three-Coin Set – Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The last two numbers in the year the park was established were accidentally inverted, resulting in the card showing the date the park was established as May 22, 1962, instead of the correct date of May 22, 1926. The subsequent reference to the year in the text below the title is correct. We sincerely regret any confusion this has created.”

It is not known how many sets with the incorrect date were sent out, or if the US Mint plans to correct the error.

96. NC_Stacker says

@ GoneFishin…. then where are my free coins.. they promised me free coins?

@Eagle One
    Now that the limits have been removed how will that play out on the chart? Using the data from above the now unknown factor is the new bump in sales per hour/day due to the limit removals.

My guess is that they will still not sell out. And I bought more to help them make their goals.

97. Jon in CT says

Eagle One wrote on November 17, 2014 at 2:29 PM:

Of course, the unstated 95% confidence interval for that estimate could span months. 🙄 🙄 🙄

98. MarkInFlorida says

Got my Everglades bullion pucks today from two dealers, AP and PM, and look forward to bringing my sets up to date this evening. Remembering the chaos of the 2010 release, it’s hard to believe we are now about halfway through this set. This drop in silver price is making them much easier to accumulate.

Have you noticed the new smaller capsules fit nicely in the blue monster boxes, so that eventually the whole set will fit in one box.

99. GoldFishin says

@Two Cents- probably all of them, since it is the packaging. Maybe somebody here can look at theirs and let us know.

100. GoldFishin says

@Mark In Florida- what is your quality like from each? and did you have the poor polishing job around the word Everglades on yours?

101. Hawkster says

Cagcrisp,

I totally agree with your opinion that the Mint’s lifting of the household limits will have minimal impact on further sales. Just check my comment on 11/14 @4:57 PM. (It’s the fourth entry on this thread).

102. NC_Stacker says

Jon is wasn’t me who brought this up it was TwoCents, TwoCents gets the credit. I was only saying it’s even an error on the Mint’s website.

JohnT58 says
    NOVEMBER 17, 2014 AT 3:23 PM

Anyone have tips on how to get the ATB bullion pucks out of those mint tubes?
    See above post^^^^

104. cagcrisp says

@Hawkster, Just read your post. Couldn’t agree more. Always enjoy your posts. Like I’ve said before, I enjoy different opinions. That’s what makes a Market. Someones a Seller and Someones a Buyer.

In reference to the JFK Clads and Silvers, I wish I was Not a Buyer. Only purchase this year that I wish I had a Do Over…(Well, I wish I hadn’t bought 6- K11’s for $139.95 that are worth Exactly $100.00 unless the Mint throws me a Bone and Quits the Kennedy once and forever…)

Maybe Someone will Post who that Big Buyer will be that will control 25% of the Available clads. Maybe he would like my 10 sets Also…

105. JohnT58 says

fmtransmitter,
    I have tried them. The pucks fit so tightly in the tubes that I cannot shake them out. I do not want to get too violent with them for fear of dinging the rims.

Printing errors and striking errors are two worlds apart IMHO…
    Found a $20 star note! Yea….

JohnT58 says
    NOVEMBER 17, 2014 AT 3:54 PM

fmtransmitter,
    Yea, I mean I see where your coming from JohnT58…Only thing I can add is if you use and sort of tool, cover it with cotton cloth…Good Luck!

108. Jon in CT says

NC_Stacker wrote on November 17, 2014 Aat 3:41 PM:

Jon is wasn’t me who brought this up it was <b?TwoCents,
    Understood. Mea culpa. I wonder whether a typographical error found only within the OGP of an inexpensive clad product will actually add any value. If only an E had been dropped from the word Tennessee on one of the actual coins.

109. Jon in CT says

NC_Stacker wrote on November 17, 2014 Aat 3:41 PM:

Jon is wasn’t me who brought this up it was TwoCents,

110. Eagle One says

@NC_Stacker,

I’m just reporting from a forecasting model based upon four months of existing sales data. One thing is obvious; the K14 Clad Unc Set data was already naturally trending up noticeably before the house hold limits were dropped. The HH limit change will influence the future sales data in one way or another. Additionally, Christmas shoppers are out now looking for $9.95 stocking stuffers. Furthermore, the TV retailers will most likely jump on these sets and sell them next year ungraded with a 200-400% mark up. A low priced investment with a high profit margin return shortly down the road after the Mint discontinues sales. How could they pass this one up?

111. GoldFishin says

@JohnT58- I make a spacer out of cardboard or plastic( you may have to tape several pieces together) with something fairly inert like printer paper next to the top coin. Hold the cardboard tight against the tube and turn the entire tube over, Then just lift the tube off the stack of coins. Make sure you have a clean cloth out and your gloves on and plenty of working space. That’s how I do it with any tube of coins so they don’t damage each other by sliding against one another.

If you are good and have strong fingers you can just hold the coins tight inside the tube while flipping over, but the 5 oz tubes are heavy and only do it if you have strong hands. I prefer the above method, as it prevents any sliding action of the coins. Be careful. Someone else may have a simpler method, but not everybody is as meticulous with their coins you and I seem to be.

112. jeff says

I’m taking the other side the K 15 set will sell out. Second lowest mintage of a clad Kennedy 200 k uncirculated to boot. I have not been a supporter of these however the risk vs reward is to great to pass up. Back up the truck.

113. Hawkster says

In regard to the transposition date error that the Mint made (1962 instead of the correct 1926) on the Smoky Mountain ATB three coin set: Didn’t the Mint also make an error on the Young Collector Teddy Roosevelt Set, in which it botched his quote, “speak softly and carrying a big stick”.

Cag,
    I also enjoy your comments. As one poster said, you save us from having to do the research on the noteworthy coin products.

114. MarkInFlorida says

@Goldfishin, yes the AP ones did have lack of polishing around the word EVERGLADES, but the ones from PM were much better, not perfectly shiny, but 90% better than the others. I get a few from each and take the best for my collection, the the rest for bullion.

115. Larry says

@ Jeff, you say 200K would be the second lowest clad Kennedy mintage. I can’t think of a lower one, which one is lower?

116. JohnT58 says

Goldfishin,
    I have tried holding that tube upside down and gently shaking. I do not have to worry about holding the pucks in the tube because they are packed in so tightly that they do not move. I have only been able to check out the top puck that is all that I can see.

117. ips_stuff says

Few questions – looking for some feedback

1) Any concern or questions on why clad set K14 Is backordered. Did they produce less than 200K to start or maybe just out at the fulfillment center?
    2) I have seen some comments on MNB regarding some of the bullion versions of the 2014 ATB’s being sold out, but do not see that in searching mint production figures. I know all ATB 5 ounce (P and bullion) were sold out by December 12th last year. Would like others comments on Which of the bullion maybe sold out or likely to have more coming.

Thanks in advance for the comments

118. mark says

One of those sets with error sold on ebay , last week. Seller did not know about error. Not sure about buyer. .. $17.95

119. GoldFishin says

@JohnT58- something doesn’t sound right, you should have some gap. I would just tap the top of the tube after you turn it over. I am sure you have tried it.
    Is it warm or cold where you are? and did you just receive the coins today and have they acclimated to room temperature yet?

120. JohnT58 says

ips_stuff,
    Below are the current sales figures as of last Friday. The Great Smoky Mountains and Arches bullion are both sold out. My guess is that the Great Sand Dunes will have a mintage of 22,000 and Shenandoah something closer to 27,000.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park 5 Oz Silver Bullion Coins 33,000
    Shenandoah National Park 5 Oz Silver Bullion Coins 22,800
    Arches National Park 5 Oz Silver Bullion Coins 22,000
    Great Sand Dunes 5 Oz Silver Bullion Coins 16,800
    Everglades 5 Oz Silver Bullion Coins 22,000

ips_stuff,

The Mint updated the bullion 5 oz. ATB numbers on the website this afternoon, the first update in almost two weeks. The only one that changed was the Everglades, from 22,000 to 27,000.

Arches was declared sold out several weeks ago, so the fact that it didn’t change was no surprise. However, I find it hard to believe that during almost two weeks the Mint didn’t sell ANY of the GSM, Shenandoah or GSD, if they were in fact still available for sale. Since final sales numbers have finished at oddball amounts before, it’s possible that some of the figures we’re seeing for the other 2014’s are final. On the other hand, there may still be some available and the AP’s only bought Everglades since the last update, since that’s the popular one right now.

If you have any money you want to put in silver right now, avoid the Eagles and buy the 2014 ATB 5 oz. quarters. They’ll do much better regardless of what silver does.

122. JohnT58 says

Goldfishin,
    It is COLD here. I received the package late Saturday and tried to open the tubes yesterday afternoon so they should have had time to acclimate. Maybe I’ll throw them in front of the heater for a little bit and see if that helps.

123. GoldFishin says

@JohnT58- yes, since plastic contracts with cold I would try either warming it up above room temperature OR getting it as cold as possible. I am not sure if the plastic walls contracting with the cold or the overall tube expanding with the warmth will be the right combination. I would try the warming first as you mentioned. Please let me know if it helps. Otherwise, you may want to call where you purchased them and ask if this is normal(which it isn’t imo) and ask them how they remove them when they are so tightly fit.

124. MarkInFlorida says

I use an xacto razor knife to carefully trim a little off the bump around the inner edge of the tube. Careful not to take too much off or the lid won’t fit snugly on again, but it is usually too big and makes it tough to even pull the lid off.

125. ips_stuff says

Brad,

What of the 5oz Bullion not sold out would you choose from? The sand dunes does no seem that popular, but has the lowest mintage (So far). Arches seems to be the big winner in popularity and low mintage. But I can’t find anywhere but on this site that says it is sold out. I know that 22000 mintage has been unchanged for weeks.

Thank you for your thoughts and comments.

126. NC_Stacker says

@fmtransmitter

Jeff was asking for the lowest minted Clad not the lowest minted Silver Kennedy. The 1998 Kennedy Commemorative set were both silver coins.

So the question is still out there. 😉

127. JohnT58 says

MarkInFlorida,
    The lids are on very tight. I’m a big guy but it still takes quite a bit of effort to get those lids off. I’m wondering if these are brand new capsules that haven’t had a chance to loosen up yet.

128. JohnT58 says

ips_stuff,
    For me, it’s a tough call between the low mintage Sand Dunes or the higher mintage though more popular Everglades. I guess it goes back to the old saying, buy what you like.

JohnT58, Don’t forget that molecules slow and therefore the coins will shrink in cold, but so does the plastic, regardless, you should have less trouble with it cold.
    When having trouble with steel parts becoming locked together, a lot of heat, then cooling the pieces down will free them. This however is not the problem you are having. My guess is that the coins are retaining some warmth, while the plastic has shrunk. Get the core of coins cold, then try again before the plastic has a chance to warm.

130. JohnT58 says

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I’ll try a few of them out tonight and hope for success.

JohnT58, It doesn’t make a lot of since, but a better, more liked design will sell better than a slightly lower minted design. Also, the bullion half brothers of the popular AtB seem to do better for no other reason but their association with the blasted P’s.

132. Larry says

At 180K, the clad Kennedy set may be a sleeper. certainly worth the $9.95 gamble. Even at 180K it is about 10X lower mintage than any other clad Kennedy that I can find, and depending on what the Silver Kennedy set does, maybe the second lowest mintage of any Kennedy, only surpassed by the 1998-S matte.. As I have said before I do not usually buy clad, but this one was just too tempting to pass up. And i must say for clad coins they are pretty amazing looking.

133. GoldFishin says

Latest sales of Bullion shows Everglades now at 27K. Something else to think about.

2014
    Great Smoky Mountains National Park
    33,000

Shenandoah National Park
    22,800

Arches National Park
    22,000

Great Sand Dunes National Park
    16,800

Everglades National Park
    27,000

Last Updated: November 17, 2014

134. cagcrisp says

@Larry, “maybe the second lowest mintage of any Kennedy, only surpassed by the 1998-S matte..” You’re not including the Gold Kennedy

ips_stuff,

I bought APMEX sealed Mint Direct tubes of Arches (before it was sold out), Great Sand Dunes and Everglades. I also bought single coins in capsules of each of the five 2014 designs, again before any of them were declared sold out.

Of the not-yet sold out designs, if I personally were to buy more I’d buy another sealed tube of Great Sand Dunes, and some more singles of Shenandoah and Everglades. I know GSD is not the favored design of 2014, but if it’s final sales number is below 20,000 that may well earn it a very nice premium as the new low-mintage king of the bullion set. Now is the best time to buy it, before the premium gets raised after sellout. Since silver is still down quite a bit from just a few weeks ago, current sales prices are very favorable.

It seems some of the older bullion coins are gaining in popularity. Premiums have been on the rise lately for the lower-valued 2012 designs of El Yunque and Chaco Culture, as well as the 2011 Vicksburg. Since there’s still time to get in on the lows of 2014, if you have the discretionary funds you’d be wise to go for it.

NC_Stacker says
    NOVEMBER 17, 2014 AT 5:26 PM

@fmtransmitter

So the question is still out there. 😉
    My bad, I thought that was clad…Thanks!

All this talk about it freezing makes me feel warm and fuzzy in the sunshine state, and happy I moved here!

138. GoldFishin says

Where is Pitt P.? I think he would know the answer to the Kennedy clad question.
    Pitt P, are you out there and ok? I haven’t heard from you a long time. Hope everything is ok with you?

139. Jon in CT says

Larry wrote on November 17, 2014 at 5:45 PM:

I’ll nominate the 2012-P and 2012-D uncirculated clad Kennedy half dollars as the current record holders for low mintage clad Kennedy half dollars. According to the Mint New Blog post on Jan 29, 2013, sales of the 2012 Uncirculated Coin Set ended with total sales of 392,000 units. I believe that 2012 uncirculated Kennedy half dollars were only available as part of that Mint set.

140. Sith says

With the AP’s grabbing all the ASEs they can at these prices I doubt they would not try to grab at least a few ATBs outside of Everglades. It maybe a marketing strategy but if the mint does not have any GSD laying around it maybe the new low. But with the high inventory levels for GSD they may have simply held off on new sales until they depleted inventory, but considering the spot price I figure it would have been a low risk for an AP to order a couple of monster box. on the speculation it could be the new low,. Then again if they already know what the true mintages are (insider information,) and if it is above 20K they would lay off of this ugly coin. What I don’t understand is why people just bought 1.2 million ASE, with a mintage of over 40 million when they could snap up the ATBs with a mintage of a few tens of thousands….

141. NC_Stacker says

Looks like NGC has new labels for the Kennedy S Enhanced Finnish coin

They now have the following:
    Enhanced Finish
    PL Enhanced Finish
    DMPL Enhanced Finish

One TV show is selling the PL Enhance sets only. They say they will have the DMPL Kennedy’s later.

142. Hawkster says

GoldFishin,
    Pittsburgh P is probably gearing up for tonight’s Steelers – Titans game. By his own admission, he tends to hang out on his porch if one of his hometown teams takes a tough loss. I wonder if the Steelers will don their throwback “bumblebee” uniforms.

100% agree Sith. I think it is simply because they don’t know about them. The retirement account managers only know about IRA approved ASE’s and get the call to buy…Can’t go wrong with the pucks IMHO.

144. Hawkster says

Jon,
    The popularity of the U.S. Mint uncirculated sets has diminished in recent years, along with a corresponding drop in mintage figures. The 2012 set is the last one with a published audited total. It’s possible that the 2013 set will have an even lower audited mintage total.

145. GoldFishin says

@Sith- Shhhhh! let them be none the wiser….better for most of us here. I definitely agree with you that most if not all ATB purchases last week were going to Everglades, but you would think the needle would have moved a little bit for GSD. One more week and no movement in sales I am in GSD for what I can afford. My least favorite design, but I have Arches and Everglades covered, but as of yet no GSD. I look at this way…no way is there more than 22K of GSD in US Mint inventory, everything except Arches is higher, so GSD will either be lower and maybe quite a bit or at least the same as Arches. Everglades is likely to run to 30-33K by the looks of things. I think a better design will always do well and a low mintage will also do well. The ultimate is getting a coin that has both. Anyway you look at it, that won’t happen this year…..unless it is the Uncirculated P Everglades. Shhhh….

146. GoldFishin says

@NC_ Stacker- just to beat Jon in Ct to the punch and be much nicer about it, it’s the Finnish people from Finland. 😉

147. Keep Calm & Stack On says

cag – a sealed box of four B32’s sold at $506.50 per coin. Not knowing your BHoFs holdings, you may want to readjust fire. I can’t help to think that 3, 5, 10 years from now, if there were a Top 10 list of Modern Coin Must Haves, that the $5 would have a presence, somewhere behind the UHR.

It’ll be interesting to see how the gold JFK and $5 perform going forward 6/12/18 months out.., I’m still on the opinion that that quarter ounce at 90% will give the three quarter ounce a run for its money! Still bullish and staying the course.. 😉

148. GoldFishin says

@Hawkster- I hope no Bumble Bee uniforms…I have to wear my sunglasses when they wear those things.

I did like the Packers uniforms yesterday though. I would like to have a replica of those.

149. Keep Calm & Stack On says

Received a ‘Glades puck from PM today – the fields are probably the most deep mirror of any puck I have ever seen. Device and fields are blemish free and crisp. There’s a slight haze just around all the letters on the reverse, subtle, though noticeable. Obverse, clear and DMPL, slight haze 1/8″ around the rim. Probably the highest quality puck I have along with MR.

GF – shhhh! Ag is headed in one of two directions, I’m waiting for that cat to go ‘thump’ again!

150. GoldFishin says

@NC_Stacker- how much were they asking for the PL Enchanced coins? I can’t believe that just out of the blue some TV show has PL coins, but no seller on Ebay has even one? I smell something rotten in Denmark? Mine are as proof like as any I have seen listed, but I am almost certain I would not get a PL designation if I sent them in to NGC. What TV show had them on? DMPL coins- you have to be kidding me? Something in rotten in Finland also? 😉

151. Hawkster says

GoldFishin,

Can you imagine how long Pitt hung out on his porch after the lowly Jets beat the Steelers last week?

152. Keep Calm & Stack On says

GF – this HH limit removal plays right into our graded set strategy.., allow the big boys in, grade’em up, flood the market, and sit back and enjoy the turkey shoot! I think I’ll be in hot around 6 weeks from now…

Received my bullion Everglades today from MCM. No problems at all…dmpl all over. I too am buying more GSD’s bullion as the mintage remains low. While some will say that it is a bad design and will not demand a premium, often an unpopular coin does not become popular until it is sold out at a low mintage….then demand spikes…imho. But really, if you can afford tubes of any of these 2014 AtB’s, you will not regret it.

154. cagcrisp says

@Keep Calm & Stack On, Thanks for the heads up. It Amazes me what people will do at the WRONG time. Either Buying or Selling. It is what separates the Successful vs. the Unsuccessful. To make money you have to do Both correctly. It is amazing that Someone sat on a box of B32’s This LONG and sold at that price. Just amazing. I have tracked 1,397 Individual sales of OGP Gold BHOF coins with an Average Selling price of $698.67 and someone waits until AFTER baseball season has completed and then they sell. They could not have found a better time to Sell than 11/17/14? Amazing.

I would have to agree on a Percentage basis the Gold BHOF will out perform the Gold Kennedy. For MY purposes, I really really like the Gold Kennedy.

Currently 17,694 Unc BHOF and 32,495 Proof BHOF. That’s two Aces.Year after year after year.

The Gold BHOF and the Gold Kennedy are the Only two products I have been bullish on all year and I really don’t see anything out there for 2015 so that is why I keep loading up on the Gold Kennedy…

I will get some of the US Marshal Gold and Silvers but after that, what else is there in 2015?

155. NC_Stacker says

@ GoldFishin

CV has them and you can see on their website

Black Core PL’s # 050823 115 left
    White Core PL’s #050822 65 left

156. NC_Stacker says

Also they said that they just found out about the new labels and NCG announced them this past Friday 11/14

157. GoldFishin says

@ALL- From Coinvault Description- 2014 Kennedy 50th Silver Set NGC 70 ER Black Core w/Enhanced PL

With a mintage of just 300,000, this set includes four 90% silver Kennedy Half Dollars in four different finishes; one from each of the U.S. Mint’s coin production facilities. Certified by NGC, with Early Releases notation, this includes the West Point Reverse Proof (PF70), Philadelphia Proof (PF70), Uncirculated from Denver (SP70), and Enhanced Uncirculated from the San Francisco Mint (SP70 PL Enhanced Finish) Note: NGC uses the term PL to describe those silver Specimen Kennedy Halves struck in San Francisco where the fields of the coin exhibit a dark finish against the white cameo of the Kennedy portrait and the Eagle motif on the reverse. Coins are individually certified in NGC’s Black Core holders and arrive in a deluxe 4 coin presentation case. Original Government Packaging is included.

Correct me if I am wrong, but has not NGC just redefined the meaning of PL? I see nothing but the changing of a label. A “dark finish”….give me a break, it should read a “proof like mirrored finish” or something like that. Wow, I am really distressed by this. I am sick to my stomach about this. It must be that smell from Denmark.

158. GoldFishin says

From NGC website: Prooflike – having the appearance of a proof coin, that is, mirrorlike fields

I am calling NGC myself this week and complaining about this. I have used NGC for years and this is scandalous. All of these other sellers on Ebay and not ONE PL enhanced coin, and all of a sudden for Coinvault NGC changes the label and misleads innocent buyers into believing these labels make their enhanced coin a true PL coin. I am over and out for tonight! I have to watch some football and calm down.

159. Jon in CT says

GoldFishin wrote on November 17, 2014 at 8:18 PM:

Correct me if I am wrong, but has not NGC just redefined the meaning of PL?

Doesn’t EACH AND EVERY coin grading service define, precisely, what its various grades mean? If you object to their terminology, ignore them.

160. NC_Stacker says

GoldFishin

Now there is money to be made in an almost worn out die strike? Before this everyone was looking for a nice Cameo finish and would pay extra for that. Now money can be made in when the die’s background is now worn out going the opposite of having a perfect strike from a die. Up is down and left is right.

Will PCGS crack under pressure and jump in on this PL & DMPL too?

161. GoldFishin says

Yes Jon and if you look at my previous post, you will see that they have indeed redefined their own defintion. “Dark Finish” = DF I don’t have to tell you what “DF” stands for, do I?

162. Jon in CT says

GoldFishin wrote on November 17, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Unlike you, I feel grading services should be allowed and encouraged to adapt their grading definitions to accommodate the wacky new finishes the Mint is applying to its coins these days.

163. GoldFishin says

@NC-Stacker- yes, Cameo would be much more appropriate and I could go with that one. Mine are both cameo and nearly PL, but you get my point, nobody else has received that designation except CV. Money talks and ….well you know the rest.

@Jon- Good one! 🙂

164. Ends in Error says

DF ? Double F*rt ? You do one then push another ? But be very careful with that other one.it

165. GoldFishin says

@Ends In Error- 🙂 🙂 Good One! Especially as you get older!! :-0 Luckily I an not there yet!

@ NC_Stacker- hope I beat Jon to the punch again- it is the Enhanced coin, not the Proof

166. Jon in CT says

NC_Stacker wrote on November 17, 2014 at 8:51 PM:

Jon in CT I’m with GoldFishin on this. How can a Proof Coin be listed as Proof Like ?

No, you don’t agree with GoldFishin because he’s bitching about a grade applied to an enhanced uncirculated coin and you’re babbling about a proof coin. Thanks for your contribution, though. 🙄

167. gbotz says

JohnT58 says

November 17, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Anyone have tips on how to get the ATB bullion pucks out of those mint tubes?

Have you tried gravity and some patience, remove lid, invert tube, place on flat surface and see what happens.

168. Bob R says

Just take the ATB puck tubes to your local Home Depot paint department and put them in the paint shaker, they will come loose.

169. Jon in CT says

JohnT58 wrote on November 17, 2014 at 3:23 PM:

Anyone have tips on how to get the ATB bullion pucks out of those mint tubes?

It’s pretty easy. Any framing hammer, like this 28 oz sweetie sold by Home Depot, will liberate those pucks tout suite. After all, they’re not collectibles, they’re merely bullion.

170. NC_Stacker says

Bob and Jon another way is to just set the tube on fire. The tube has a melting point around 221°F and AG’s melting point is 1,763°F. Think of the toning opportunities this brings.

171. Hawkster says

An alternate method to free up those balky pucks would be to shoot some WD-40 oil on the inside of the tube. Hint: Be sure to use the nozzle attachment on the can to pinpoint the spray.
    Wait 30 seconds, flip the tube upside down, and watch those pucks slide right out.

172. Bob R says

Looks like SLV is starting to drop slowly since Friday, looks like Friday was the dead cat bounce, hold onto your horses, SLV could be headed lower quickly if it can’t hold $15.70 this week, IMO

173. Eagle One says

@GF,

Thank you for the link to the PCGS Spot Policy. It just further validates my conclusion that there is a two-tier coin market out there. One for spotted coins and one for unspotted coins. That’s why buying “sight unseen” or from “one of many” does not work for me anymore.

174. Hawkster says

Bob R,
    Actually, WD-40 is excellent for cleaning metal surfaces. So, if your coin is spotted, feel free to apply it and watch those spots disappear.

175. Bob R says

I have bought coins spot free, then several years later they developed spots, what can you say? Then at times a brand new coin from the mint has spots? I have never seen it in GLD but only SLV.

176. Keep Calm & Stack On says

cag – “what else is there in 2015?” maybe that’s a good thing, my check book could afford to go on a diet! I’m in for a gold Merc, the Marshall’s and the AtBs…, may just be a long, slow year.

Bob R – I hope it’s a big fat 21 pounder that’s bouncing.., & punches right through $15 – I’ve got a hair trigger set on some AtBs, too bad 2015’s may be 5 months off still

177. NC_Stacker says

Bob gold is not as reactive as silver. Look at the older mint sets where the coins have fogged. There is something in the mint holder that is reacting to the silver, be it the glue, paper and anything else in the holder. Mid 1970 set are well know of doing that. ( look at the silver Ike’s) If it is a newer set there may be a very small crack or the cases are not sealed and are allowing air in.

It also depends on how you are storing them ( air quality) and the humidity.

178. cagcrisp says

@Keep Calm & Stack On, I think you meant the Gold UHR. The Gold Merc is 2016. Don’t want to get the Blog Police after you…

179. GoldFishin says

My enhanced coins look as good as the ones on CV. Maybe I should send them in before the ER cutoff date. I see no mirror effect on their coins, mine has more mirror effect than that.

@KCSO- Ebay auction listings for the JFK silver coins have risen to 124 from around 70 two days ago and 90 this morning. Soon there will be ample supply and we will see how much staying power prices have. Six weeks sounds about right to me KCSO. I wrote a post this morning about the JFK Silver mintages but decided not to post it. I may post it tomorrow after sales numbers are out

180. NC_Stacker says

GoldFishin did you happen to see the one coin that was DPL and that they compared the PL to DPL? It looked just like the P Proof but the cameo was to me better than that of the P proof coin.

181. GoldFishin says

Yes I did….they were very close for sure. Mine are the same way. If you look at them from eye distance I can hardly tell them apart, only the Proof is very relective and the Enhanced only slightly so. The Cameo’s are the same. But I think there are many of those PL coins out there, only they haven’t been labeled as such until now. We will see I guess.

182. Keep Calm & Stack On says

NGC Subscribers –

I just tried pulling up the consensus report to see how these PL/DPL/whatever they are may be grading, I cannot find the silver JFK set coins listed anywhere, do you see them?

Has NGC not posted the grading data for the silver set yet? I checked through all the JFK 50 cent and Modern Coin list with no luck.

183. GoldFishin says

@KCSO- looks the rally in PM continues this a.m. Gold over $1200 again….SLV 16.44…..meow!

184. Keep Calm & Stack On says

GF – rally it up! Putty tat is at the end of those 9 lives…, just need one more good ‘THUMP’ to $14.70!

Hey, looking forward to the release of silver JFK posting, we should see those %’s around 9:45-10:30.

Keep Calm & Stack On says
    NOVEMBER 18, 2014 AT 5:57 AM

Hey, the American $1 Coin and Currency Set is LIMITED already… at 50,000!
    Gift giving season and money maker for the US Mint!

Sorry if it was mentioned BUT the earlier talk of the clad Kennedy, this two coin set is entirely unique to the series using a different die. Although it is the same coin in size, weight, and subject, it is also a whole new coin…

Keep Calm & Stack On says
    NOVEMBER 18, 2014 AT 5:56 AM

NGC Subscribers –

They don’t post for a couple months usually…Sometimes a month…

188. cagcrisp says

There is No HH limits on the American $1 Coin and Currency Set so Maybe one of the Big Boys will go in and buy ALL the 50,000 allotment and then they can corner the market on Another product that Very Few will Ever want. The max to do this would Only be $697,504.95.

Hold ’em off the market for two years….hmmm….

189. stephen m says

GoldFishin, Those silly, stupid labels will keep coming until they can’t sell them and make money anymore. Who knows what the future holds for us and those stupid labels?

190. Senior says

I’ve said it before so please forgive me for repeating myself.Moderns are just that,these shiny pieces of metal regardless of denomination should not be eligible for any designation other than that stated by the USA Mint Certifications.There is a ton of profit being made it will not subside,if you as a sensible collector must make the decision to stay away.Liken this to purchasing a basic auto verses a luxury model.This grading of moderns really came alive with the conception of the U.S. mint American Eagle Series.Keep collecting but selectively,a bite of chocolate can be delicious but don’t eat the whole Fing box.

191. Senior says

The idea of perfection has become a virus.Some need the slabs and labels to assure they have the best possible,but remember one thing perfection is subjective.What is seen with his eye possibly is not seen by mine.

192. NC_Stacker says

fmtransmitter
    That’s 19 million in $USD up for auction. ( at today’s going rate of $380.97 per BTC) My guess is they will get about 1 million dollars for the entire lot of 50,000. Then you convert the BTC’s for GLD or SLV,

There are sites selling gold and silver for bitcoins. So for 50,000 BTC can be turned into 14, 375 Gold Eagles or 848, 896 Silver Eagles, wait for a PM spike sell them all and then move to an island after you bought the island 🙂

193. Keep Calm & Stack On says

PM added 2014 Everglades National Park 5 oz Silver ATB to the free shipping selection, yeah twist my arm!

cag – appears we may or may not see those #’s today :S

Keep Calm & Stack On, That’s a really good deal. They may be clearing their inventory ahead of the new bach of Everglades coming from the Mint.
    I tried buying from them Friday evening using my PayPal account, but I had my order cancelled twice due to an address problem. There’s nothing wrong with either one of my address, but PM would not ship to either one, which is just weird because I have bought from them before without a problem. So I went to A on Epay, cheaper there than on the website. Calling PR right now.

195. Keep Calm & Stack On says

K13 2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY SILVER SET 137,802 11/9/2014
    K13 2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY SILVER SET 144,572 11/16/2014
    K14 2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET 146,222 11/9/2014
    K14 2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET 148,928 11/16/2014
    K15 2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN 66,547 11/9/2014
    K15 2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN 66,859 11/16/2014

Thoughts?

196. TimTom says

@NC_Stacker – Hopefully you jest when you say they will only get 5.25% of FMV. Bitcoin is quite liquid, assuming one is technologically inclined. I would liken it to when people sell coupons or gift cards on e-Bay. You always get less than full value, but even those trend toward 2/3 or 3/4 value. With someone more liquid, ie Bitcoin, I’d believe most people would bid low, but depending on how the auction is run, if they accept anything less than 85-90%, they be trippin’…

Then again it is seized property, so who knows. Maybe people would want to own DPR Bitcoins and even pay more than FMV. Would they then be eligible for a virtual label? I know ANACS slabbed some Casascius physical/pm Bitcoins back in ~2011/12 as tokens. We’ll see either way LOL. 🙂

197. Keep Calm & Stack On says

2014 ATB SILVER UNC 5 OZ – GT SND 22,421 11/9/2014
    2014 ATB SILVER UNC 5 OZ – GT SND 22,581 11/16/2014
    2014 ATB SILVER UNC 5 OZ – EVRGLD 16,243 11/9/2014
    2014 ATB SILVER UNC 5 OZ – EVRGLD 17,218 11/16/2014

This is going to get very interesting…

198. NC_Stacker says

TimTom if the IRS is willing to settle on pennies on the dollar, why would this auction be any different.

To the govt, bitcoin is a non-factor to them as they view this as a AstroTurf grass roots movement. So receiving a little something for what they feel amounts to nothing, anything they take will make them happy.

199. cagcrisp says

Mint BHOF excel spreadsheet update for 11/16/14 (change from 11/09/14 spreadsheet):

Gold proof BHOF 32,428 (down 67)
    Gold unc. 17,674 (down 20)
    Silver proof 267,852 (down 13)
    Silver unc. 131,915 (down 1)
    Clad proof 237,862 (up 3,497)
    Clad unc. 138,192 (up 1,298)
    Young Collector 25,173 (up 632)

Gold BHOF 50,102 oversold 102
    Silver BHOF 399,767

200. cagcrisp says

What is Noteworthy in the Above Post is the Revision Downward of the Gold BHOF’s . This is the First Movement on the Gold BHOF coins in 7 weeks.

First Revision Downward in Silvers in 3 weeks…

201. Senior says

Keep Calm and Stack The Kennedy numbers are weak,next weeks numbers will be most interesting,at the current rate there will be no sell out.Could be people are staying away because of the weak metals markets and or the nearing christmas buying season.

202. Eagle One says

Sell Out Analysis Summary for Kennedy Clad Two Coin Uncirculated Set:

K14 Clad
    As of 11/09/2014 @ 11:59 PM EST
    200K will occur in 136 days since sales began on 7/25/14 at 12 Noon EST
    200K Target Date is estimated to be December 11th 2014
    630.6 units per day average (sales are increasing)

K14 Clad
    As of 11/18/2014 @ 11:59 PM EST
    200K will occur in 140 days since sales began on 7/25/14 at 12 Noon EST
    200K Target Date is estimated to be December 15th 2014
    386.6 units per day average (sales are slowing – may be due to website shut down)

Raw Data:

10/12/2014: 80: 133,818
    10/19/2014: 87: 134,631
    10/26/2014: 94: 136,614
    11/2/2014: 101: 141,808
    11/9/2014: 108: 146,222
    11/16/2014: 115: 148,928

(prepared with caffeine, no distractions, and some minor corrections)

203. Eagle One says

Sell Out Analysis Summary for Kennedy Silver Four Coin Set

K13 Silver
    As of 11/09/2014 @ 11:59 PM EST
    180K will occur in 2472 hours or 103 days from first hour sales began on 10/28/14 at 12 Noon EST
    180K Target Date is estimated to be February 10th 2015
    1807 units per day average (sales are increasing)

K13 Silver
    As of 11/16/2014 @ 11:59 PM EST
    180K will occur in 2840 hours or 118 days from first hour sales began on 10/28/14 at 12 Noon EST
    180K Target Date is estimated to be February 25th 2015
    967 units per day average (sales are slowing – may be due to website shut down)

Raw Data:

HRS: K13s Sold
    1: 35832
    3: 50070
    5: 64576
    8: 82137
    12: 85697
    26: 98748
    28: 99934
    132: 125147
    300: 137802
    468: 144,572

204. Senior says

Hello, You are suffering from i don’t know what the hell.Do you think anyone cares about your mindless estimates get real the trends point to 0 resolution .The only possible sell out could possibly could be the clad set at $9.95.The offering demands a balance of values this offering offers no balance .Collectors must hold the mints feet to the fire.

205. Eagle One says

@Senior,

Mindless……..Ok

For K13 :f(x) = 17898ln(x) + 37686
    For K14 : f(x) = 0.1763×3 – 36.277×2 + 2518.5x + 73720

I was asked to dumb it down and put things in simpler terms. Maybe I didn’t dumb it down far enough?

206. William Doucette says

The U.S. Mint blew it on this set. I just sent 2 sets back due to debris encased with the coin and defects on the finishes which I’ve never seen on any other proof or commemorative set .
    I’ve been buying from the mint for a very long time and I’m becoming less interested in what they have to offer.
    The 300,000 limit would have been hit a long time ago on previous releases but this one is not selling well.
    The sold amount was 137,802 as of 11/17/2014 according to their customer service.
    Douce

207. Senior says

I was jazzed when this Kennedy series was announced I thought it was going to be a barn burner instead it seems to be what the cow left behind.i really don’t understand this quality control issues.Collectors are paying premium prices for these moderns.They deserve quality materials.I ordered 2 sets amd they both look good although the fit is so tight I haven’t seen the reverse of any of the coins.I’m sorry to hear so many disappointed collectors.I believe a boycott is in order.