Vote on the 2013 Native American Dollar Designs

The United States Mint recently provided thirteen different candidates for the 2013 Native American Dollar reverse design to the Commission of Fine Arts (CFA) and Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) for review. The CFA and CCAC each recommended a different design alternative, so I thought it would be interesting to provide Mint News Blog readers to vote on their preferred design.

The Native American $1 Coin Program was launched in 2009 and has featured a different reverse design for each year intended to recognize the contributions and accomplishments of Native Americans. The obverse design has featured the portrait of Sacagawea and child used for the previous Sacagawea Dollar series from 2000 to 2008.

The theme for the 2013 reverse design is the signing of the first treaty with the Delaware Tribe in 1778. This was the first written treaty between the new United States and a Native American tribe. It provided the United States passage through the Delaware Tribe’s land to attack the British at Detroit. The treaty also recognized the Delwares as a sovereign nation and provided the option of joining with other tribes in the Ohio region to form a state.

Design candidates included multiple alternatives incorporating a paper treaty and quill pens, a cloth pattern worn by the Delaware tribe, and animal symbols of the clans of the Delaware tribe.

All of the design candidates as well as the comments offered by the CFA and CCAC can be found here and here.

The CFA’s recommendation is shown above at left. This is a cloth pattern worn by the Delaware tribe with the pattern intended to symbolically suggest forward movement after the signing of the treaty. The CCAC’s recommendation is shown above at right. This design includes a turkey, wolf, and turtle to represent the clans of the Delaware Tribe. Thirteen stars are also incorporated into the design.

The final design selection will be made by the Secretary of the Treasury after weighing the input and recommendations of the CFA and CCAC, as well as the Committee on Indian Affairs of the Senate, the Congressional Native American Caucus of the House of Representatives, and the National Congress of American Indians.

Readers can vote on the design they would most like to see on the 2013 Native American Dollar in the poll below. I have narrowed the selections to six alternatives, but left an option to indicate preference for one of the remaining designs not pictured.

Note to email subscribers: I believe you will need to visit MintNewsBlog.com to place your vote.

Comments

I ended up voting for NAR09, but it was a tough choice. I also like NAR10. That howling wolf looks pretty good on there.

2. Robertson says

I like design 7 but voted for 9 because most importantly, it will really look nice as a coin, especially the proof version because I read where the black areas will be incused and proof polished. The CFA made reference to this as a “figure/ground” treatment… a study of contrasting elements or something like that. Design 10 is a beautiful illustration, I will admit, but what will it look like as a coin? And the animals are not in the right size proportion. Design 7 is an interesting design, too, but to be honest, I’m growing tired of seeing quill pens and parchment on coins… this one reminds me of the 1987 Constitution commemorative silver dollar.

I voted NA-R-07. Great design. I’m disappointed the CCAC and CFA didn’t choose it.

Of the two that were picked I think I’d take the CCAC’s selection the best despite it being a bit “busy.”

4. Sam says

Like the wolf — I think the coin will stand out more, which may bring greater awarness to the program

Robertson makes a good pt. about the one recommended by the CFA, but I feel #7 more clearly shows that this is about the Delaware treaties.

6. Ken in Ohio says

Great idea to set up a fun poll. Please do it again when the chance arises.

I did like the wolf design, but the turtle looks like it’s howling too, and that just doesn’t make a hill of sense. Too bad it couldn’t just have wolves.

Sorry to say none of these made me think of Native Americans. The images might mean something in those cultures, so would a picture of a casino. I chose the wolf, turkey, tortoise. At least it has three animals we haven’t seen on US coinage.

This is a wonderful idea. When you tally the results you should send them to the CCAC and the Commission on Fine Arts by email through the web sites. Collector opinions are very important and it would be great to have feedback like this. I hope you make this a regular feature of Mint News Blog.

9. Mercury says

I voted for #7 it just makes sense. A Solid concept… not too far to the Left or the Right. IMO

10. Natatack says

I think a lone wolf or 3 wolves would have looked better than the combo with wolf, turkey and turtle.

11. Tom says

As Michael alluded to in the article, the wolf, turkey and turtle represent the 3 clans of the Lenape or Delaware Indians, hence the 3 animals depicted on #10. The Delaware Nation as a whole is referred to as the turtle clan, which would explain the 2 designs of the turtle only. A single wolf or multiple wolves would not make much sense when attempting to represent the treaty with the Delaware Nation.

I really like the symbolism of the 3 animals representing the clans, and it would be educational for those who look at it initially and are puzzled by what it has to do with Native Americans.

Rotating the reverse designs of the Native American dollars since 2009 has been one of the few good numismatic ideas that Congress has come up with in recent years. I just hope the mint sticks to images that depict historical Native American culture and avoid more modern themes that I think would be far less desirable.

12. oldfolkie says

I think it’s time to replace the Commission of Fine Arts, How could they pick such a boring design?

13. karl meyer says

I voted for #13, would be great if it stood out like the baseball comm. but I guess it won’t go down a coin slot. The wolf is great it just looks like all the howling wolfs on everybodies t-shirts. I too don’t want to see anymore quills and parchment.

I am looking forward to owning #10. It will make a GREAT coin! The design for this year—-2012 is one of my favorite coins. I agree with Tom that changing the designs on the reverse of these coins has been one of the BEST ideas to come about in recent years.

I agree with Roberson, in part. I voted for design number 9 since I think it will look exceptional on a coin.

I have seen several coins with animals (excluding bald eagles) primarily on the ATB coins. In general, I have not been impressed with the depiction of the animals. The Hawaii ATB coin has no animals, and it’s clear that it’s a very popular and beautiful coin. I hope the CFA, CCAC, and others involved with design selections, learn from this example when determining a way forward….

16. Eddie says

I voted for #7 it looks nice.
    #10 looks like the wolf is doing something to the turtle. I think they should just start over and reopen it. Now that people knows what the mint is actually looking for in the design.

Looks like the wolf is stepping on the turtle. Either that or the turtle is mimicing the wolf and howling too.

And the third animal? Good grief. A turkey. Is there a hidden message here?

18. bruce says

How long did this sovereign nation of the Delawares last and why doesn’t it exist any more? Did they voluntarily give their land to the Americans or were they overrun like all of the other indian tribes?

19. Shutter says

A turkey. Is there a hidden message here?
    The “hidden” message is that it represents on of the 3 clans of the Delaware people.

20. Smiledon says

Have to agree with VA Bob; not what I think of when I see the coins.
    Many types of tribes exited that live many ways