Warren G. Harding Presidential Dollar Rolls, Bags, and Boxes

Today, February 6, 2014 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin accepting orders for a range of products containing circulating quality 2014 Warren G. Harding Presidential Dollars. This will represent the first release of the year and the 29th release overall within the Presidential $1 Coin Program.

Warren G. Harding Presidential Dollar

The Warren G. Harding Dollar features a front facing portrait of the president designed and engraved by Michael Gaudioso. This design was recommended by both the Commission of Fine Arts and Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee. Obverse inscriptions include “Warren G. Harding”, “In God We Trust”, “29th President”, and “1921-1923”.

The reverse design of the coin features a rendition of the Statue of Liberty designed and engraved by Don Everhart. This design has been used for the reverse design across all issues of the series. The inscriptions read “United States of America” and the denomination expressed as “$1”. The edge of each coin contains incuse lettering with the motto “E Pluribus Unum” as well as the date and mint mark.

For the initial years of the Presidential $1 Coin Program from 2007 to 2011, the coins were produced in high quantities and distributed to the channels of circulation. There was an introductory period surrounding each release during which banks could order the coins in unmixed quantities. The introductory period combined with limited use within circulation led to a build up of excess $1 coins in inventory at Federal Reserve Banks. In response, the Treasury Department suspended production of the $1 coin for circulation.

Since 2012, newly released Presidential Dollars have been produced only in the quantities deemed necessary to fulfill demand from collectors. The circulating quality pieces have been only been available within numismatic products, priced at a premium to face value.

The Warren G. Harding Presidential Dollar products released today contain circulating quality examples of the coins struck at the Philadelphia or Denver Mint facilities. Product options include 25-coin rolls priced at $32.95 each, 100-coin bags priced at $111.95 each, and 250-coin boxes priced at $275.95 each. These products are available with coins from either the Philadelphia or Denver Mint. All products feature packaging which contains the name of the President, the face value of the contents, and the mint mark.

From 2012 to 2013, the US Mint had also offered 500-coin boxes of circulating quality coins from each mint, however these options have been discontinued.

There are no stated product limits or maximum mintages for the bags, rolls, and boxes. The US Mint indicates that the products will remain available for one year from the initial release date or until inventory is depleted at an earlier date.

The time limitation for circulating quality Presidential Dollar products has been indicated for releases from 2013 onwards. If the US Mint follows this limitation, the William McKinley products may conclude sales either today (to coincide with the release one year ahead in the schedule) or on February 19, 2014 (to coincide with the actual one year mark).

Comments

1. KEITHSTER says

Will get some but not today as they will be around a year and have to work on some of the others I’m missing before they go away.Sure hope the fed don’t order a bunch of these later on too:( Well good luck to ya:>:>:>

2. Zaz says

Because Carter, his predecessor is still alive as today, 2/6/14, and would probably have expire before August ’14 in order to get his coin in sequence in Summer 2016.

Yup, William McKinley is no longer available. He got a bit short-changed, since he didn’t get his full year of availability.

Did anyone notice that the 2013 Silver Proof Set is sold out? So much for “Available until December 2014”!

Just notice that myself Brad… why would it have been available until December 2014? I like that they aren’t holding these sets forever…

Modern Coin Mart noticed, too. I bought 3 sets from them on eBay for $59.99 each, and was going to buy 3 more (since I was getting quadruple eBay bucks today for purchases of $150+), but they ended the listing before I had a chance to place the second order!

Ips,

Thanks for the tip! I bought a dozen from them just now. The mintage isn’t much higher than the 2012 set, and the “surprise” factor should help it do very well. Was it even on “backorder” status before it sold out? Seeing that today shocked the heck out of me.

8. Dan in Fla says

Just in case. 2012 was 395433 and using Michaels number of 419148 there are about 25K more of the 2013.

9. ClevelandRocks says

Guys, it’s Feb ’14.
    No shock to me that the 395k ’12 took forever to sell out and they decided to mint a little MORE of the 13s….
    Keep calm…..

10. Zeeman says

Brad@
    Do you think that now LEPS will sell out quick too. i am thinking about buying one of those.

Zeeman,

The sales pace of the LESPS should pick up now that the base set is sold out. It should still be available for a few more weeks though, so you have some time to consider it.

Even though the 2013 base set has a slightly higher mintage than the 2012, it will still likely perform pretty well on the secondary market due to the “surprise” factor of the sellout and the fact that the mintage is somewhat comparable. I don’t see there being a huge psychological difference between 395,000 and 420,000 sets. Both of them are the lowest of the modern era. Everyone figured the 2013 would be available for much of this year due to that statement the Mint made about it being available until December 2014. Maybe they thought 420,000 sets would last longer than they did.

Now the question is, how much longer will the 2013 Uncirculated set be available? It might be time to give that one a second look. It could beat the 2012 by a pretty large margin as it stands now.

Thanks for the tip Brad, picked up another.
    The Wedge-Tailed regular 1 oz. proof came in today that I ordered from GovMint on Sunday evening. It’s really a better looking coin in hand, plus I couldn’t find a flaw on it, the craftsmanship of this coin is superb. I had to laugh when I saw the number on the COA…0666.

It will be interesting to see how the 2013 LESPS sells on the secondary market compared to the 2012…which sells for much more than I can understand.
    Also, the 2014 LESPS comes out in May…that may be interesting as it will include the 2014 Kennedy Silver Proof as well as the popular 2014 ATB Silver Proofs…and of course the dime, While I haven’t been a fan of this overpriced set (imo), I may consider a 2014 set.

14. VA Rich says

DCDave – I was thinking the same thing, wonder if that’s ever happened before?

Set became available on 12 Dec and now in its 7th week, is at 74% mintage.., may be close!

re: the 2013 sellout of the Silver Proof set. Good luck to those of you that bought several sets…I see some major players have raised there price to the 90-100 dollar range. Time will tell.
    Personally, I’ve grown tired of chasing these new lows…..the 2013 Proof Buffalo has not performed near as well as I expected.
    I think some products will establish new lows each year…especially the Burnished Silver Eagle…I think it will go down ever year

16. DCDave says

As several have previously posted, there are too many products and too many new lows to get excited about. I worry that the large decline of annual set sales may mean less demand in general.

17. Jerry Diekmann says

Personally, I wouldn’t pay 1 cent for a $1.00 coin with Warren Harding on it. There are just too many presidents who were mediocre (or worse, in the case of Harding) and do not deserve to be commemorated. Just my opinion. So i will never have a complete collection of President dollars; my “complete” collection would have about half of them.

I’d pay 1 cent for Presidential dollars all day long, regardless of who’s pictured on them. I could be a millionaire for only a $10,000 investment!

I am really surprised at the high “sold” prices are on eBay for the 2012 Limited Edition Silver Proof sets. It seems, at this time, the sets are selling in the $275 – $300 range.

I question if the 2013 LESPSs will sell in the same range. Why? The silver proof 2013 coins have a higher mintage. And also, a greater number of collectors, dealers, etc. now plan to buy the 2013 sets because of the secondary market performance of the 2012 LESPSs.

Time will tell.

20. Darek says

Hello. I just received Roosevelt FS gold Proof coin and coin has strike error. In one place edge of the coin is thicker than rest of the coin edge and because of this obverse rim is not flat. Since I do not collect “damaged” coins this one is going back to the mint for replacement.

I just checked eBay for the availability of 2013 silver proof sets. If anyone is interested, you can buy them for around $60 – $65. There does not seem to be much demand for these sets at this time. When you factor in eBay and Paypal fees, the premium from the U.S. Mint’s sales price is small.

An increase won’t happen immediately, it will take a few weeks. There should be a steady climb in sales prices over the next few weeks once the sellout becomes more common knowledge. It won’t get as high as the 2012 set (due to the slightly higher mintage), but I can see it reaching $100 at least. Even if that doesn’t happen, buying it at the $55-$60 level right now if you can is a very low-risk investment. It’s worth a try. I gambled on 15 sets yesterday, most at the Mint issue price from the Denver Mint Aramark gift shop.

23. Nick says

I got 2 of them around this time last year. Unusual for me as I only get 1 of anything. I liked it so much I bought 2

@Darek, what if you got an error coin and get it graded with the error? Could be worth quite a bit more no?

25. Darek says

Fm I do not collect graded coins. The strike of this coin was off center and edge of the coin was extended by little less than 1/16 of the inch above the rim.