West Point Set Orders Reach 140,648

setIn a very strong opening, which caused some website issues, the 2013 West Point Silver Eagle Set has reached sales of 140,648 as of May 10, 2013 at 7:05 AM ET. This special set contains American Silver Eagles struck at the West Point Mint with reverse proof and enhanced uncirculated finishes.

The pace of orders for the set was so heavy yesterday that for a brief period of time the US Mint’s online catalog went offline and displayed the following message:

The United States Mint is experiencing technical difficulties. During this time period, you will not be able to use the website. To place an order please call 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468). We apologize for the inconvenience.

Shortly afterwards, the US Mint released the following statement indicating that the online catalog “has not stopped working” and encouraged customers to try to place their orders later.

Our online catalog has not stopped working. However, because of the large number of customers attempting to place orders for the American Eagle West Point Two-Coin Silver Set, you may experience delays. This product will be on sale through June 6 and there is no mintage limit, so try later when the site is not experiencing so much traffic. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

The new enhanced uncirculated finish and the fact that the two coins will remain exclusive to the 2013 West Point Silver Eagle Set has clearly generated significant excitement with collectors. Since the product will be minted to demand based on orders received during the four week ordering window, this excitement will translate into a higher eventual mintage for the coins.

So far, the pace of orders for the West Point Set is well ahead of last year’s San Francisco Set, which had reached orders of 85,341 by the end of the first day. Eventually sales for this set reached 251,302, which was subsequently adjusted lower to 224,981. I recorded the entire history of daily sales changes in this post.

As mentioned yesterday, the mintage levels for the other special Silver Eagle sets were 248,875 for the 20th Anniversary Set and 100,000 for the 25th Anniversary Set. If the pace of orders remains high for the West Point Set, it may end up with the highest mintage of the four anniversary sets.

Comments

1. Dan in AZ says

I’m waiting for another announcement in July or August announcing the inclusion of one of the two coins in this set in another product.

I agree with Brad that this set will NOT be a big winner on the secondary market (for uncertified coins). The Mint’s new way of selling coins – unlimited quantities with a known ending date reduces demand. Buyers can buy all the coins that they want so they can get the coins at “retail” prices. Check out secondary market prices for the 2012 San Francisco set on eBay. Sets in original packaging are selling at the US Mint’s original sales prices or slightly (but not significantly) higher.

The huge initial demand likely was brought on by coin dealers who bought huge quantities and wanted an early shipment. That way, they can sell large quantities of “First Releases” or “Early Releases: certified coins at a premium. Money talks.

With that being said, I have placed my order for one 2013 West Point ASE set for my personal collection. I have no plans to buy another set or have my coins certified. To each his own.

3. Gary says

The US Mint cant win! They do a limited run of 100k (2011) and everybody whines that they cant get one! Then they do a made to order run (2012 and 2013) and everybody whines they are producing too many! UGH!

4. Don says

As far as I’m concerned, the TPG companies lost whatever remaining credibility they may have had when they started putting these meaningless FS/ER labels on the coins they graded.

Remember back several years ago when divers were hauling up hoards of silver coins from the depths of the seas? Silver doesn’t do well after being in salt water for a century or so, usually ending up pitted. So, instead of the grading companies assigning these coins a low grade, they came up with a new designation: “Shipwreck Effect”. I’m sure this label was requested by the marketers of these coins.

So yes, the TPG companies are in the pockets of the customers (big deaers)that give them the largest amount of business. I’m sure they feel the pressure to produce the highest amount of top graded coins and give the big dealers any type of label they desire. Otherwise, the dealers will switch their business to a more grade- friendly company.

5. high low silver says

Gary the 2012 S proof silver eagle will have a mintage under 330k.Not bad,but the MAH set has to end its current run.

6. Jim says

The rumor is that many of the large telemarketers ordered 10,000+ sets at a time. I would hope that the mint would drop the maximum order size they ship early to 1000 sets, maybe even 500. I believe the no ordering restrictions really hurts the average collector. The mint has really screwed things up with this new system that favors the big boys.

” GMS says:
    May 11, 2013 at 4:03 pm

God helps those who help themselves Leo. HSN may be shysters but they aren’t doing anything wrong, nobody is forced to buy. God help us when the PC police determine what can and can’t be sold and at what price that is considered “fair”.”

Legally – no there is nothing wrong with it – ethically and morally there are a lot of problems. Then again if you have low ethics and moral values – I can see where this is just fine and all is fair game.

@Brian – I don’t think it has anything to do with chemicals. It is apparent to me that some older people grew up when they expected to get an honest buy for their money, and not every salesman was the equivalent of a used car salesman.

8. GMS says

@thePhelps: All business for profit is considered to be low ethically and morally by far too many these days, profit pays wages and expenses. The market should decide if something is overpriced or bogus. with almost half the country on some sort of government assistance I wouldn’t refer to people who engage in legal behavior and pay the bills as immoral or unethical, but I am probably one of those “older people” you reference.

9. GMS says

Back to talking about coins, the 2012 Bronze Spouse Medal sets have been on backorder for about a week now. Don’t know if it’s production or getting ready to sell out, but I thought I would mention it. Happy Mothers Day to all our mothers today!

10. JEFF IN TX. says

I think this set is a winner now and only gets better with time. Even if more sets are made each year same type. This new set will have a different mint mark. With that comes the chance that a mintage could be lower now @ then. I hope the Mint stays with 2-3 coin sets, not anything much bigger. This set will sell more than last years set now doubt. All of these ase sets are winners together. Grading companies just are people who have found away to take a good thing a ruin it . This stuff now just drags this hobby down. I like the silver eagles, but I think it should end in 2021.

11. Dan in AZ says

If you factor in the fee’s that eBay/PayPal tack onto an order those margins are even slimmer, since the fee’s can easily range in the 10-13% range or more. When I was selling bullion, I thought about eBay and created a little spreadsheet that I could use to calculate all the fee’s and determine what I had to sell it for.

I ended up going to the local gold exchange and selling it for 1-2% over spot. I suspect many eBay seller would do better using this same approach.

12. JEFF IN TX. says

How many moms are in the hobby, lets here ya! Happy Mothers Day !!!! This new eagle set , every mom should have one.

13. gatortreke says

Re: HSN, I have no idea what their margins are once they pay all their expenses. For all I know, the coin show operates on thin margins despite the high prices and I agree they are high but they also have higher expenses producing and airing the show, etc….

One thing I don’t understand about those complaining about the way the SF set was sold last year and the WP set is being sold this year is that despite the new sales approach, the number sold was lower than the 2006 Anniversary set which sells for a premium today. The 2006 set was on sale for a number of months so everyone who wanted one had the opportunity to buy it, just the same as the new format. The fact that sales were similar suggests to me that the natural initial demand for these sets is somewhere in the 250,000 range. We definitely know 100,000 is too low. Still, current prices for the 2006 set are significantly higher than the original sales price, I don’t see why SF won’t be similar in the coming years because the 2012 RP is still unique to this set. Maybe I’m wrong, I’d love to have someone give a good argument explaining why the lower mintage 2012 set won’t do well in the future as we all need to understand the logic behind the opposing argument so we can then see the flaws in our own thinking. BTW, I only have the set I bought for my own collection, I’m not looking to flip any, I just want to understand why so many think the 2012 set has dim prospects.

14. Buzz Killington says

There are just too many different kinds of ASE that have been put out of the last 5 years. It is getting overwhelming.

It is bad enough they now have to make special sets for every multiple of a 5 year anniversary, but now we are looking at special sets every year.

I do like that they are experimenting with different finishes. I would prefer to have a “numismatic” version every year, preferably with a rotating reverse every year, as opposed to the boring Reverse now in use. It could be proof, reverse proof, enhanced uncirculated, or whatever. Something different every year.

2016 would be the perfect year to start, with the classic walker half reverse for the 100th anniversary of the first walking liberty half.

This is much more interesting that the now-overused reverse proof, and mintmark varieties of the same coin designs over and over and over.

15. Michael in Bama says

RE: gatortreke
    The mint’s high premium along with the high price of silver has sucked any potential out of these sets (2012 & 2013), any drop in the spot price of silver will kill the future of these. This set should have been $124.95 ~ $129.95 MAX. Too many RP’s now, the mint could have just sold the enhanced ASE alone for $74.95 and cleaned house!

16. Hawkster says

Hey Buzz,

If the Mint stays with the same obverse and reverse for the ASE, eventually they will run out of permutations for the now yearly “special” sets. The only mint facility that hasn’t produced the silver eagles is Denver, and I don’t think they are set up to make ASE coins. The anniversary thing with these ASE sets is getting a bit overused, and the reverse proof is no longer unique.

The classic Walker half reverse should be considered by the Mint. The Walker halves remain one of my favorite U.S. coins.

17. Dogman says

I 100% agree with the mint to demand program.30 days is sufficient time for all interested collectors to get in.No one should have to pay a premium over the mints own which always has seemed high to me.For many $139.is a lot of money.Collect wisely.Best regards to all collectors.

18. Dan in AZ says

But there are those that say we live in a capitalistic society and any chance to make a quick buck by buying in bulk and flipping should be allowed. Still I commend the mint for at least a 30-day window.

19. Dogman says

Dan,You are totally 100% correct it is nice to make a buck and everyone likes to see there collection grow in value and all educated collectors should and most will take advantage of this 30 day window of opportunity.What rubs me is greed.

20. Dogman says

I liked the limited demand for the SF 2 ASE set on the secondary market.The limited demand because of the 30 day window held the flippers and all secondary sellers to the wire.Everyone is equal.

21. Dogman says

22. stephen m says

gatortreke, I would think the 2006 anniversary ase set will always command a premium. The 25th anni. sets will also do very well with the SF & WP special 2 sets following in their shadows. No one knows for certain which sets will outperform other sets in value. Only time will determine that. Collect what appeals to us and what we like and the rest will take care of itself. I think all these sets are a home run in my book.

23. Hawkster says

Judging by the amount of WP sets sold in the opening sales days, it can be deduced that the TV guys and other big-time dealers are gobbling up large quantities. I guess the mega dealers don’t seem to think the coin buying public is yet jaded by the stream of now annual special ASE sets that the Mint is producing.

24. Dogman says

All any of us really need be concerned about is what it takes to satisfy you and me as collectors.there always seem to be sufficient fish in the barrel to feed the flippers and HSN and I for one wouldn’t mind seeing these guy a little lean.

I have to give the US Mint credit for knowing their stuff when it comes to business, this is nothing less than the result of “shock and awe”. Think about it, the 25th anniversary set that was a guaranteed winner, and then the sell outs of 2012, this is full on results baby!

26. Dave says

My prediction — we are going to see some variety/errors with this ASE. Remember, you heard it here first.

27. im just a bill says

Dave!

I heard it.

But then again we are talking about the first ever enhanced eagle!

is next??? enhanced proof eagle 😉

then reverse enhanced???

reverse enhanced proof!

then where?

28. Rich says

im just a bill –

“Polish and laser frosting recipes will differ going forward and will depend on the design elements of coins. Artists can actually create designs with the new method in mind.” –

“Antonucci said he could soon foresee “five or six different frosting intensities on a single design.”

“Antonucci indicated they will decide as a group on how to apply the polishing and laser frosting technique to every design going forward.”

29. Rich says

Hidalgo – I’m with you, I’ll be happy with my one set now in OGP vs. at least 3 to 5 sets for prosperity sake. I’ve pulled back on this one…

I’m really disappointed how this is unique coin set has turned into a circus and being whore’d out for a quick buck.

I suspect with all the variations to come, the excitement about this coin will quickly fade…

I can’t help but think this new ASE design will follow the path of the Buffalo.., the ’06 Buff sold very well…, prices escalated and the novelty wore off…, & then we had the ’08 Buff.., which blind luck landed me a few of those! 🙂 !

If the new laser frosting technique is to be applied to many designs in future, I SO HOPE the Mint turns the lasers loose on the ’14 ATBs…, that would spectacular on Great Smokey/Sands and others…

30. merryxmasmrscrooge says

not to mention after the unc. dollar set sellout, the Unc Burnished 2012-W $1 silver Eagle has a final mintage of ~200,000 + 30,000 = 230,000

31. Don says

Rich,

As per your comment “Polish and laser frosting recipies will differ….” It’s great that we might go international with Polish people offering up their recipies to keep this ASE coin going.

32. Don says

Rich,

O.K., I was just having a little fun with the word “Polish”. I think it might be the only word in the English language language where it is pronounced differently if it is lower cased vs. capitalized.

33. Eddie says

I understand what all of you are saying but these are exciting times. It is so much better than the same ole UNC’s each and every year. You know the Mint isn’t going to “enhance” everything they can get their hands on. It is just exciting to see what and will do with.

34. Samuel says

im just a bill,
    then, reverse enhanced proof with UHR, obverse colorized, reverse gilded!hahaha

35. Rich says

Don,

I’d like to share some enhanced “Polish” ASE jokes with those that buy up the TV retailers inventory of these things…

Oh.., how I can’t wait to see the marketing ploy and asking price!

If anyone sees a WP ASE sales advertisement on TV being run, please do share

36. Jus-a-coin-luvr says

I don’t really get why people get so upset about the resellers and their profit making plans for this set. I do get why “collectors” would be bothered by total mintage, but the Mint’s prime motivation is not to provide collectors with future wealth on any given coin. Complaining about what a reseller will do with this set is like “shooting the messenger”. They have as much right as anyone else to buy product via the Mint’s provisions and resell it any way they want to do it.

This is “all” about “making a buck” from the way the Mint sells these sets, to collectors that hope for a future profit, or to resellers that want to make money selling in volume. The collectors that buy this set, for the pure enjoyment of the coins and don’t plan to sell, are largely are unaffected by who makes what dollar in the future on this set.

@Jus-a-coin-luvr – I don’t have a problem with people reselling per-se. What I dislike is the fact that they are buying huge bulk volumes of these to resell. I do collect coins – but that is a 2 sided coin. On the 1 side I have my initial investment, and on the other is the growth and possible value of my coin collection.

The greed of the reseller is to purchase large volumes of these and dump them on the market – for a relatively small profit by all acounts. This dilutes the market with these offerings – and diminishes all of the collectors coin value. They win very little, and we all lose.

These are numistic offerings for collectors – that is why they even exist and why the mint sells them. If the mint wants to see why they are losing thousands of collectors annually, they need look no further than who is buying in bulk and reselling the items they are supposedly making for collectors. When I see stories of companies buying pallet loads of these to resell – it sours my interest in the entire process.

38. Addielise says

+1 Coin-Luvr.

thePhelps, if you want to blame someone, blame the Mint. They are the ones who allow anyone and everyone to purchase as many sets as they want for 4 full weeks. Ironically this was seen as a solution to prevent the whining that resulted from the 2011 25th Anniversary sets. Sets that had both a set mintage AND a limit. Yes there were ways around the household limit, there always will be, but given the quick sell out it made it more difficult to accumulate a large number of sets. If a reseller dumps them on the market for a small profit, doesn’t that still mean that they have increased in value? Or is there a set ROI percentage that I don’t know about that separates the deserving collector from the greedy reseller?

I wish everyone would stop the whining about the greedy flippers and just enjoy the coins or sets that you have.

39. Jus-a-coin-luvr says

@thePhelps: Your thoughts and desires are one thing, but do not match the reality of the situation. If the Mint was actually interested in making this primarily a “numismatic” product, they would “not” have an unlimited production, nor place zero limits on purchase quantities. That is the sales strategy of making money based on volume which is exactly what we will see happen with this set. That is the Mint’s decision and direction, not a fault of those that purchase the sets regardless of who that buyer may be.

Like you, I’d personally love for this set to be very limited so that future value could be possibly increased. But that isn’t a very realistic expectation when a set is released the way the Mint is doing it. That is why I say don’t “target the wrong people” by complaining about the resellers. Resellers are simply doing what “they feel” is in their best interest, just as you would like to see things happen that are in “your” best interest. Neither are wrong. If you want to take issue, better to start with the Mint themselves where the buying behaviors are set in the first place.

40. JagNut says

You can’t have it both ways! You complain if you were left out and buying from the secondary market with the 25th Anniversary set to fussing about an unlimited production…In both cases, you knew what the rules were before they went on sale.

If you are a flipper, maybe the coins will be better then expected and it will create a media storm once they start hitting the streets and the freenzy will beging.

If you are a collector, you are in it for the long haul and you bought the coin becuase you not only liked it but you wanted it for your collection.

If you are a flipper – unlimited production runs are not good bets to make large purchases.

As far as the TPG’s, only time will tell how they will hold up in the market place. Who knows what time will dictate if they continue to peform as they have in the past 5 years or so… Since there are no limits on how many you have graded for any given coin, I think the OGP will be the reall winner! Shoot, in another 10 to 15 years, some of the earlier mint and proof sets from our modern era will be not only hard to find but will be selling for a premium!

In summary, if you like it or want it, buy it. If you are looking to make a quick profit, that time has already passed. Those who are going to get their orders in the first couple of weeks will be able to make some small change, after that it will be either flat or turn into a buyers market because of the over production!

@Addielise and @Jus-a-coin-luvr – you both ignore the fact that I do blame the Mint.

“If the mint wants to see why they are losing thousands of collectors annually, they need look no further than who is buying in bulk and reselling the items they are supposedly making for collectors.”

The mint listened to a loud screaming throng last year – that complained very loudly about the “Special Set of ASE” and then they released 1 of the coins seperately.

The issuance of these coins is for collectors – that is the only reason the mint releases coins in these sets – that is why the mint exists today at all. Ignore the collector and you don’t actually have a target audience anymore. The same can be said for the bulk buyers – if they continue to drive collectors out – they will find very little to buy – and no one to sell it too. The mint is losing a market – the numbers tell them they are losing a market. If the mint needs to sell in bulk to make a profit (which isn’t supported by the numbers), then why are they over charging for the product.

42. Eddie says

The Mint gives them a discount on the bullion right when they buy in bulk? I don’t think the Mint should let them buy pallet loads of the collector coins. If they can go out and find people willing to sell them their 3 or 4 sets find but to let them buy pallet load after pallet load is wrong plus give them a discount also. Where we are stuck paying a premium. I fell if we buy 5 sets we too should get a discount on them to.

43. Jus-a-coin-luvr says

@thePhelps: Lotta unhappiness there for just coin collecting my friend. There are much worse things in this world than “collector’s loud screaming” about coin values and sales practices of the US Mint. Your own idea of what the Mint either is or should be to collectors (while understandable) could be a mismatch is all that I’m saying. Things change.

Coin Collecting is supposed to be fun for whatever reasons we find. When it degenerates into a bunch of complaints and anger, the question has to be asked…is that really much fun?

44. Eddie says

One more thing when the Mint reduced the price on the 2012 stock the reason they sold out so fast was because the retailers bought most of them. I may be wrong buy I doubt it.

45. Hawkster says

One way or another, collectible coins and sets will end up in the hands of collectors, whether if the collector buys directly from the Mint or buys on the secondary market.
    Other than limiting quantities to purchasers, there is no way the Mint can exert any control over what happens to these coins after they are mailed out to the purchasers. When you think about it, the Mint is the largest coin dealer in the United States. We, as Mint customers, buy from the primary source before the secondary market takes over. Less informed and novice coin collectors look to the secondary market, as they are not aware that many of the offerings can be bought directly from Dealer #1, the U.S. Mint.
    There’s no doubt that the mega dealers have greatly contributed to flooding the market by their immense Mint orders. Unfortunately, this is part of the coin game, and we all have to accept it for what it is.

46. John says

FYI – The mint is in business to make circulating coins! Collector coins are secondary. Also the mint sells retail not wholesale. If a dealer buys in bulk they only get a 5% discount. For bullion, “Authorized Purchasers” pay a fixed dollar amount over spot. Do the math, that’s not much margin if you have a “Brick and Mortar”, employees, insurance, power… the list goes on. Bottom line, if a “flipper” can make a few bucks why not, it’s their capital at risk not yours.

If you want something with a “low” mintage there are lots of World coins with numbers below 10,000. Or better yet buy a “Classic”.

47. nick says

I bought 2 of the limited edition 2012 sets and one of the west point sets. I am lucky and made a sold one of the limited edition sets for $200. after they sold out. keeping one for myself. I am only ordering one west point set as there are too many being made. there is a medium mintage range that I will buy within. too high and theres no chance and too low could be a gimmick. I wonder if the mint knew they were going to cut the 2012 silver proof sets short? anyway im in for the long haul

@Jus-a-coin-luvr – actually you went way out in left field. I collect a lot of coins, both old and new. I enjoy collecting coins, and am very much looking forward to this set of coins. While you might find the idea of mass marketers destroying the hobby a part of the hobby, I am not alone in the belief that they have no business doing it on top of lowering the value of my/your/our collections for a quick buck. I won’t accept it quietly as a sheeple and not voice my opinion.

The Mint heard about the displeasure of collectors last year. They also have adamnatly stated they won’t repeat the disaster they created with the issuance of a 2nd coin from an “exclusive” set his year. I think they also need to hear the displeasure many of us have with the massive buying of seconday distributors, and work to limit that from happening.

The mint is in business for the numimatic collector – if there aren’t collectors there isn’t a mint. Instead of gaining customers with the emmergence of mass marketers – they are losing customers. That is even including the mass marketers purchases – the volume is going down. I’d suggest that isn’t a good sign of the future, high prices low sells – will ultimately lead to lower and lower sells.

49. Dogman says

The mint is in a no win position.They’re going to get flack regardless what they do.Limited production with no household limits,limited mintage with household limits,production with a 30 production window no limit of purchase.The 30 day window of opportunity with no purchase limit is by far the fairest of all options offered.Educated collectors interested in this offering have plenty of time to secure as many set as they want,need or can afford.The bulk buyers are going to secure sets regardless of control.With this window there is no reason for any serious collector to pay a flipper or secondary seller a premium.Who cares what the uneducated buyer choices are.Good lord give it up.These set and all mint offerings are collectibles not investments.If you guys were half smart there would be no flippers.Open your eyes.

50. Silver Sam says

Dogman-
    The present production and distribution scheme is as fair as it will ever be as you stated on these special sets! Flippers, bulk dealers, collectors, acquire your sets, and go about your business. Life isn’t always fair but it is short and to be enjoyed. Can’t wait for the RP Buffalo. Have never bought this product design, but will buy some this time around.

51. Jus-a-coin-luvr says

@thePhelps: I’m not the one in “left field” and certainly not the one trying to tell everyone that my view of coin collecting is the “gospel”. I’ve been collecting too for a very long time (53 yrs). Please leave off the “sheeples” remarks and whatever else you want to assume about how I view this subject. I can assure you that there are plenty of people here that also have no problem voicing an opinion. Some of us just choose our battles differently.

52. Ann says

On the special sets they should keep the 30 sale period and
    limit five per household per week. This would take some of the
    wind out of the predatory or sale gimmickery tv folks!

53. Gary says

hahaha..my 5 2011 25th Anniversary Sets…just keep loking better and better and better and better!
    I wish we could find the old post from 2011 and see all the people crying about the 100k mintage of the 25th Anniversary Sets. You gotta be careful what you wish for!

54. Silver Sam says

Ann-
    With your thoughts, big dealers would be hampered, but mint wants as much sales volume possible in general. So limiting in your way will not happen. It’s a nice thought though.

55. John says

thePhelps says:
    The mint is in business for the numimatic collector – if there aren’t
    collectors there isn’t a mint

Please read my last post. The Mint & BEP are in business to make money for commerce, first & foremost. You can reach into your pocket right now and possibly find something collectible @ face value.

The only way the mint will go out of business is when we go cashless but I’m sure they will still make collectables.

56. John says

IMO, the Mint is one of the best deals in town. You can get UPS 2 day shipping for only $4.95 no matter what weight or value. No Credit Card surcharges. Some product premiums are higher than others but you don’t have to buy anything from them, it’s your choice.

The 5 oz ATB “P” has low premiums and the highest mintage so far is only 27k. Buy what you like, enjoy.

57. Shutter says

I don’t fully understand all the whining and the hand wringing. As of now, this set exceeds 2012 by a tad less than 60%. If things follow last year’s trajectory, the final tally maybe just shy of 400K. That’s on par with 1994 Proof ASE. The last time I checked those were selling for $75-$90 in OGP. But that one was a regular proof no different than 28 other ASE proofs. This set contains a reverse proof. Yes the 3rd one, but the first from WP. It also contains the “enhanced uncirculated”. Whatever that may mean, it’s the first one ever.

No, it won’t be another 1995 W ASE, but it will do ok in the long term.

58. Hawkster says

Shutter,
    Your comments are well stated, but I do believe this will be the fourth reverse proof (2006, 2011, 2012 and 2013).

59. Shutter says

Hawkster,

You’re right, but still the first from WP.

Also, it’s the 3rd mint that is producing reverse proof. If you just wanted one from every mint, you’d get 2006 or 2011 plus 2012 and 2013. It’d be awesome if Denver Mint produced ASE for just one year and it was a reverse proof.

It’s looking like the only ones who will win on this set are the real collectors who want it for themselves. Supply will exceed demand. I’ll just buy the one for my collection this time around. If anything, I might buy an extra one for my dad for Christmas. He likes ASE coins, but is usually too cheap to buy them for himself!

For the 30th Anniversary set in 2016, the Mint should go all out and give us something REALLY special. By then, they should set up production capability at Denver. It should be a silver 10-coin set, two rows of five coins in a box similar to the 25th Anniversary set but wide enough to accommodate the extra coins. There should be “Enhanced Uncirculated” coins with W, P, D and S Mint marks, Reverse Proof coins with W, P, D and S Mint marks, a standard proof coin with the P Mint mark and finally the creme de la creme: A standard proof coin with the W Mint mark but sporting the ORIGINAL Walking Liberty Half REVERSE design from 1916. It should have a 100,000 set limit with orders limited to 1 per household. Even though it would be VERY expensive, unlimited orders for 4 weeks would still make the mintage too high and rob the set of the special value it should have.

I know this will never happen, but it’s still fun to dream! I’d definitely be in there fighting for it at the 12 noon “free for all” on whatever day it went on sale!

61. Silver Sam says

Great idea/dream/thought….I would make it a 200000 mintage still under every thing but 25th set and a 3 per household limit. That will still cut out dealers and flippers somewhat!

62. Shutter says

It should have a 100,000 set limit with orders limited to 1 per household.
    All those artificial limits serve to reward flippers and punish collectors. Last year I said that limited order window with unlimited mintage was the best news for collectors. Nothing has transpired to change my mind.

63. Frankie says

@shutter:
    I totally agree, and despite that fact that I’d consider myself collector, flipper & investor. To me, this type of offering feeds all three of my desires, although I maybe left with just the collector aspect. But who knows how much these sets will be worth in 5 years from now? Do I really care, no. And I may treat myself to 10 sets.
    No matter what limit the Mint imposes there are always ways around it. Household limits are meaningless for example as you can ask family, work colleagues, friends, friends of friends etc. to order the maximum permissable for you for a few bucks extra. It’s not difficult to obtain 50 sets which have a limit of 5 per household. Just think of the possibilities.
    Hence I think this type of ‘window opportunity’ is great. No matter if you want 1 or 1000 sets, you can order as many as you like and you got one month to do so (no stampede!). Everyone’s equal, no pre-ordering, master club etc.

64. JagNut says

If you take the 5-coin display that came with the 2011 25th anniversary, you can take the four reverse proofs (06, 11, 12 & 13) and either use this years Special Enhanced coin or the 2011 San Francisco Mint mark coin and you have yourself a pretty awesome set!

That is what the “Joy of Collecting” is all about!

Can predict the future but the one thing I know is that in ten years, their can’t be more then 100k of these special sets. Put a price tag on that one!

Sometimes you just have to look at the bigger picture!

65. Shutter says

Cancellations already?

It’s a tad early for cancellations. Last year’s daily orders were all pretty low after the first 2 days and before the last week. It’s nearly certain this set will sell more than 2012, but not a whole lot more. There is a limited number of collectors and the big dealers know that. Last year about half the ordered quantity was placed in the first 2 days.

66. high low silver says

If you ordered late on the 1st day , you have untill July to get your money back.

67. Gary says

You can take this 2 Coin Set add a Regular Proof Silver Eagle and Burnished W Eagle and a bullion eagle and you got yourself a nice little 2013 Silver Eagle Set! All i need is the W Burnished Eagle and i got it done!!

For the thirty year anniversary, I hope they change the design of the ASE. That would be good for collectors and might give the series a little bump too. Now the Mint just needs a design worthy enough to replace the walking liberty, the reverse should be an easier task.

69. shootertm says

Got my order in, but have to say that no limit is kind of distressing. Why can’t the Mint take their cue from the various other mints from around the globe and put out true numismatic sets with extremely low mintage’s (i.e. 1000, 7500, 10000, etc.) or at the very least, number the COA’s.
    Oh well, maybe one day…

70. John says

Gary says:
    May 14, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I did that last year and I used a left over 25th Anniversary Set box to hold them in. I don’t think I will do it this year. I haven’t bought a 2013 Proof yet.

Wouldn’t it be funny if after 350,000 sets were sold and cherry picked, 150,000 sets were returned to the Mint.

72. Dogman says

Take the distribution technique and spin it til you drop.the mint got blasted for limited mintage,household limits and most current the 30 day window mint to demand.The truth is all collector deserve exposure to the product. For me they got it right with the 30 day window.These offerings belong to the you and me the everyday collector.Every form of the secondary market stand alone.The buyer controls the market.Be a wise collector

73. Dogman says

Observe world mints with extremely low mintages,do you see consumers scrambling to buy.consumers of mint products covet the USA products.You guys in the USA are jaded.Go fish.

74. high low silver says

Dogman: You should see people playing the Powerball lottery every week! Lol

75. Don says

high low silver,

O.K., I think I’ve figured out that you are the former hi ho silver. That “Lol” that you are fond of using at the end of your comments gave it away.

76. Don says

high low silver,

I guess you weren’t on an extended cruise after all. If silver tanks any more you might have to consider changing your handle once again, this time to Low low silver.

I have noticed many new commenters have burst upon the scene in the last couple weeks or so. Or, are they old commenters who have simply changed their handles?

77. high low silver says

I think they are flippers jumping in for a fast buck. I noticed more activity on the other anniversery sets as well.

78. nick says

still a broke college student here, managed to get a 1/10 oz gold proof. I don’t know if im going to get any 5 oz pucks or not? hmmm I don’t trust silver, i feel theres going to be another price drop mid series this year. who knows

79. high low silver says

Nick, if your broke, collect indian head pennys or buffalo nickles…… That’s how I started…… Its FUN,but no serious $$$….whatever you can handle.

Hey Christopher Cross, glad you didn’t sail off the edge!- hehe- Oh shoot, off topic again…nick just needs a woman. Dang, still off topic, set a goal like buying a barber half in good condition at around one million mintage. The ones just under a million are a little harder to get but it’s fun when you own it. I still have my heart set on owning a 13,14 or 15 P in AU or UN condition. I at one time bought a 1913 P in AU, but came to the conclusion that the P had been removed, luckily I was able to return it. Those who want the rarer Barber halves really must look closely at the Mint mark area for forgery!! Still need a 1932 D quarter in MS condition….wait a minute, off topic, again.

Ok, I didn’t say that right, one cannot remove a P from a Barber half because it doesn’t….have one!