Whitman Publishing releases new gold “toolkit,” GOLD: Everything You Need to Know to Buy and Sell Today

(Pelham, Alabama)—On the Fourth of July, 2017, Whitman Publishing will release a newly updated second edition of its award-winning book GOLD: Everything You Need to Know to Buy and Sell Today, by Jeff Garrett and Q. David Bowers. It is available for preorder online (including at www.Whitman.com) and will be sold at bookstores and hobby dealers nationwide for $14.95.

The book’s contents include a foreword by Kenneth Bressett (senior editor of the Guide Book of United States Coins), and chapters entitled “Gold: What is it, and Why is it Valuable?”; “The Recent Gold Boom”; “Selling Your Gold”; “Buying Gold”; “Deal With the Experts”; “Avoiding Counterfeit and Altered Gold Coins”; “Quick Answers to Frequently Asked Questions”; “Glossary of Gold-Related Terms”; and “More Resources.”

The uniquely formatted 120-page hardcover book comes in a sturdy library-quality slipcover. Inside, the text and illustrations are accompanied by pullouts printed with valuable insider information. These include technical content such as weight-conversion tables, bullion-value charts, melt value by karat and pennyweight, and federal coinage specifications. “These pullouts are handy for taking to coin shows, pawn shops, flea markets, and other places where gold is bought, sold, and traded,” said Whitman publisher Dennis Tucker. They also include fascinating replicas of historical documents such as President Franklin Roosevelt’s executive order 6102 of April 5, 1933, which recalled billions of dollars’ worth of gold coinage and stopped the hoarding of gold coins, bullion, and certificates during the Great Depression.

The book’s audience includes experienced coin collectors and investors, as well as newcomers who have never bought or sold gold but are interested because of mainstream news coverage. It covers the history of gold going back to ancient times; market trends since 1933; U.S. and foreign gold coins; modern and older bullion and trade coins; scrap gold, jewelry, and gold works of art; how to grade gold coins; the pros and cons of various buying and selling venues; using the Internet; pennyweights, karats, grams, fineness, melt value, and other technicalities; the market effects of recent world events; contact information for world mints that sell gold; and more.

Bressett, in his foreword, wrote, “Whether you intend to buy, sell, hold, or ignore this noble metal, you will have all of your questions and concerns addressed in this handy book. Through charts, insider tips, and clear concise directions you will be able to maximize the satisfaction of your transactions.”

The coauthors are award-winning numismatic researchers. Q. David Bowers is a coin dealer, auctioneer, and writer who serves as numismatic director for Whitman Publishing and research editor of the Guide Book of United States Coins (the best-selling “Red Book” annual coin-price guide). Jeff Garrett is known as a coin dealer and an active hobby promoter; he is the president of the American Numismatic Association and valuations editor of the Red Book.   ❑

Press release courtesy of Whitman Publishing.

Comments

1. sharks2th says

@A&L – The pics are not clear, flag #1. The copper is too bright, Flag #2. This appears to have been dipped, like we did in high school chemistry class. I have gold and silver pennies from high school we made by dipping them in gold and silver solutions. It is simple to do copper dipping too. Without weighing the coin (3.11g for copper, 2.72g for steel), checking it with a magnet or scratching it to check the depth of the copper color (which I would not recommend in case it is authentic), it would be difficult to completely tell if it was a fake. A copper coated steel cent will be attracted to a magnet. I’d ask the seller to show it on a scale with the weight in grams and test it with a magnet.

2. A&L Futures says

Oh no, I have absolutely no intention to buy.

My comment was to elicit thoughts, given the 99.999% likelihood that this faux copper cent will likely rob an unsuspecting buyer of 1,000s of dollars.

3. CoinMark says

Wonder if the book covers this point of view.

Regardless of the Gold IRA content in the article, the whopper for me was:

If you do choose to buy gold, whether through an ETF or otherwise, one caution experts offer is this: Don’t jump in hoping for a huge gain.

“The biggest investing mistake I ever made was to take my college graduation money back in 1980 and buy gold,” says Roth. He still owns those 10 Canadian Gold Maple Leaf coins. they’re worth about $12,500 today — or over $300,000 less than if he’d put the money into Vanguard’s S&P 500 index fund instead.

4. Mr. Kairu says

With the recent addition of 2 seated liberty dollars for my 7070 album.. I may try and tackle a gold page eventually. I should have kept the ones I had but didn’t feel like it was the right time to spend 200+ dollars on the two coins I got. May have to reconsider now that two really expensive coin holes are filled. Luckily I have one of the people at my LCS willing to give me his gold page since he never got into them. I do feel that gold is super pricey right now though and it may take a while for it to come down to where it was 10 years ago.

5. cagcrisp says

This is NOT a pump to buy Silver (I’m not buying)…

…However…

APMEX is selling (secondary market) 100 oz. Silver bars at Spot…

6. asherspapa says

Re the 1943 “Copper Penny”–
    Even the picture shows a coin in a flip, the listing claims it is a PCGS certified coin (#115400043, which isn’t even a PCGS number), is “Good” in the subtitle, and MS61 the details, where it is also described as “Circulated.” Either the lister is an idiot or a crook…maybe both.
    At any rate, I reported the item to eBay as using banned descriptions (raw coin with grade and grading company reference, claim of value, etc.).
    Maybe some of the knotheads that bid on this will be saved a lot of money.

7. asherspapa says

Maybe we should take our 1943 steel pennies to the lab and do some copper dipping –

At least this guy admits it’s copper clad!

Or if you have a few dollars to spare, there’s this listing for a genuine 1943 copper (with a 1944 steel):

8. Sith says

@CoinMark- ““The biggest investing mistake I ever made was to take my college graduation money back in 1980 and buy gold,”

Yes, and it would be an investing mistake if you bought the S&P in Oct 1929. I would have added 2007 but with the current debasement it has taken less than a decade to recover, but IMHO we are looking at 1937 (on steroids) all over again. The economy was so robust in 1937 that the Feds decided to tighten. The American economy then took a sharp downturn. BTW If you view gold as an insurance, not an investment…all investments need an exit strategy. Buying gold in 1980, and holding it for 37 years sound more like a hoarder, than an investor. Putting the shoe on the other foot had he invested that $8,500 in real estate, he could have been one of those Manhattan\DC\California millionaires who could have simply used that money as a down payment on a house and held it (or used the equity to move up to bigger houses) for 25-30 years.

9. Mint News Blog says

This will be unrelated to this particular blog post, but as some of you have expressed interest in the Queen’s Beasts and similar coins, I thought I’d share. (As always, file it under “for what it’s worth,” which of course might be “not much”!) The Royal Mint is taking pre-orders for 1,817 “Strike on the Day” anniversary gold sovereigns. They’ll be struck July 1, and they’re expected to sell out quickly. I have no sense of whether the mint’s pricing is commensurate with the coin’s value, but here’s the link for the curious: https://goo.gl/XcHWpu

The author is a U.K.-based collector and a regular contributor to Coin Update.

10. cagcrisp says

@KCSO, “These guys are out of their mind –”

As long as people continue to chase Low Mintage Wonders, MCM will continue to do what they do.

There is NO telling how MANY people clicked on you link and either Bought in or are Thinking about Buying in…

11. Sith says

@KCSO- How dare you say that! That Exclusive Krugerrand Label is rare, and it will be worth big bucks. IMHO $795 is cheap for an exclusive label, that is limited to 15K. Then add that they throw in a 1oz silver coin to boot.

12. Buzz Killington says

@A&L

The guy selling the “copper” (plated) 1943 cent is also selling gold plated Buffalo nickels.

This is not a sophisticated con, at least.

13. John Q. Coinage says

You can see the steel on the $550 (so far) eBay copper pLATED ’43 1c……PT Barnum LIVES! $

14. Buzz Killington says

I was considering offering a trade of my peanut in the shape of the Holy Spirit for that copper 1943 cent,

15. So Krates says

Gold got hammered as soon as pre-market trading opened @ 4 am. Fat Finger blamed again.

Gold was “rocked by a 56 metric-ton (1.8 million-ounce) gold sale, but it remains a mystery who and why,” said Ross Norman, chief executive officer of London-based Sharps Pixley Ltd.

“This bears the hallmarks of a fat finger ‘muppet’—a trade of 18,149 ounces would be a very typical trade, but a trade of 18,149 lots of a futures contract (which is 100 times bigger) would not be,” he said in a note. “It leaves us wondering if a junior had got confused between ‘ounces’ and ‘lots’.”

Chintan Karnani, chief market analyst at Insignia Consultants, said some Asian markets are closed for the Muslim holiday marking the end of Ramadan.

“Asian demand is not there today,” he said. “Had key Asian markets been open…gold prices would not have crashed.”

Stinks almost as badly as the BS they’re trying to feed us about the Fitz.

16. johnaz says

That penny on ebay is fake, all the bibber have no feed-back but one. 32 bid and only one with feed back.and the seller has one sell. RED FLAGS.

Dianna, The little gold 1/4 oz. sovereign which will have a mintage of 1,817 is such a nice little coin. I came close to buying it, but stopped at the “place order” button. I just couldn’t bring myself to pay $670.34. USD

18. Sith says

So Krates – Your the only one in my corner. Everyone else here says gold is down because the “Federal Reserve increased interest rates”, or “Brexit.” IMHO as far as those rationales justifying the down turn, while ignoring the “fat finger”, you might as well say gold is down because your moon is in Sagittarius

As far as the Fitz their should have been no way, no how that a cargo ship should have gotten within 1 mile of that ship, without warning. For example the CO was still asleep, most captains have standing orders to be woken up if a vessel comes with 1 or 2 miles or “would pass close enough to be of interest,” that did not happen. All I can think of is that the mid-watch crew (CIC, the bridge, and the lookouts) were all on crack.

19. Sith says

So Krates – I always find it “funny” that these fat fingers occur when the ECB, or the Fed have to foreclose on a bank, or some other bad news like a bond auction failing.

20. So Krates says

@ Sith – A seller who wants to get the best price would not dump that much, at that time, on that day. A seller who wants to depress the price would dump that much, at that time, on that day.

The incident off Japan has yet to be fully explained. Too many inconsistencies/coincidences. The reporting times changed, the course of the Crystal doesn’t match reported events, the complete loss of communications on board except for cell phones, the angle of impact (with no apparent scraping), are just a few fishy aspects. Perhaps an EMP disabled her, as it appears she was rammed at 90% and may have been DIW at the time of impact. Perhaps there was an attempt to board the Crystal (flying under a Filipino flag/lots of ISIS presence there lately). Plus there was the suspect story of a search and rescue in the same area for a tech who was missing for a week and eventually found hiding in the engine room of the Shiloh. With all the tension in the area, I would not be surprised to see some sort of false flag attack or other “incident” providing an excuse to attack the DPRK.

21. cagcrisp says

@Sith, ” Everyone else here says gold is down because the “Federal Reserve increased interest rates”, or “Brexit.” ”

There is NO ONE that said Gold was Down because of Brexit. NO ONE

I was the ONLY person that even mentioned Brexit and here was my EXACT post:

“cagcrisp says

June 26, 2017 at 6:33 am

AM Gold Fix $1,240.85

Gold and Silver Both took a leg Down this morning.

Y/Y Gold is Down 5%

Y/Y Silver is Down 7%

(Keep in Mind that Brexit vote was 1 year ago)…”

Brexit vote took place on June 24th 2016.

The First trading day AFTER Brexit vote Gold went Up 4.78%; Silver went Up 3.32%; Dow went Down 3.39%; S&P went Down 3.59%; Nasdaq went Down 4.12%

What happened 06/26/17 had NOTHING to do with Brexit. I was merely pointing out that IF you do a Y/Y comparison that Gold is Down 5% Y/Y and Silver is Down 7% Y/Y from last year BECAUSE Gold and Silver SPIKED one year ago BECAUSE of the Brexit vote.

NO WHERE did I say that Yesterday’s drop had anything to do with Brexit because I DIDN’T give a reason for the Drop…

22. Sith says

@sharks2th – I find it funny how people like to peddle their own book. It does not mean that they are wrong. I disagree that Americans are fascinated with gold. Because gold ownership was illegal for so long, and people fear another confiscation, IMHO Americans are fascinated with silver.

@cagcrisp – Thank you for the clarification. I misinterpreted your post. I simply read gold is down, and somehow it was related to Brexit. My bad, and please accept my apologies

@So Krates – Hear, hear on the gold! I’m in no position to argue any theories at this point, but the crew much less the captain is generally not asleep when doing boarding actions., and they generally are not conducted in international waters. To avoid a ship boarding being an act of war, navy vessels will carry Coast Guard service personnel, and if its more clandestine Navy Seals. An EMP would disable radar, but not the lookouts or bridge crew. As far as a false flag well hopefully we don’t have another USS Maine on our hands. I doubt it, but this stinks to high heaven.

Sith – I about puked when I heard that now days trainees are provided a ‘stress card’ during training to waive when feeling stressed, or whatever.

We had ‘training timeouts’ when I went theough for instructional purposes only to get you back on track, but a frigg’n stress card? Give me a break!

I know the day I heard that that would come full circle and bite the military in the butt.

This could be as simply as the mid watch crew ‘didn’t feel like it’ (standing their watch)

I have one question, where was the SWO for 20 minutes in that density of shipping lanes?

Even if that freighter was hauling at 20kts, there was miles of reaction time availability. The whole thing really peev’s me off!

Heck I did my middie cruise on the Ponce back in ’93, and even that bucket of bolts had an alert on the surface search to alarm of contact within x miles that was selectable.

But an Aegis in 2017 getting surprised.., gross negligence.

KML –

What did you decide on the APE?

I budgeted for it, have had every intent on picking one up.., now just not that enthusiased about it and question the purpose behind the purchase. With a week to go, I’m just not feel’n it.

Think I’d rather sink $1,300 into the market when the inevitable reset occurs, or pick up a Palladium Merc instead

26. cagcrisp says

PM Gold Fix $1,249.55

Average of eight Gold Fixes is $1,250.03…

…SO… Wednesday’s AM Fix Must be $1,249.75 or Less…

…AND…Wednesday’s PM Fix Must be Less that $1,250.00…

…And then you would get a Gold reset Tomorrow Afternoon…

The Palladium Merc is the best looking upcoming issue as far as I can see.

Concerning the Fitz, she was t-boned much the same way as Pearl Harbor was. No one thought it could happen!

Not to say it was intentional, but the blame should squarely be placed on the freighter.

29. Sith says

@KCSO – Hear, hear! I did not know about the stress cards. The entire purpose of training is to stress you out. I guess they expect the enemy, or the sea to respect a stress card. Sorry this hole in the ship is stressing me out…fortunately DC training still must be top notched

@Dustyroads – That maybe true, but lets say it was a worsts case scenario, and they intentionally rammed the Fritz. Which by the way is very unlikely as all indications say the ACX Crystal was on autopilot. Their is no excuse why the crew of the Fitzgerald did not see the ship coming, or why they did not maneuver away from it , at the very least they should have hit the collision alarm. Sounding that alarm, even a few seconds before impact could have saved a few, if not all of those 7 sailors. Based on my reading, the collision alarm was not even pulled after the impact, as sailors ran towards their battle stations. IE they they manned the guns.

30. So Krates says

Yeah, premiums are coming down all over. I have not seen retail silver at spot (see cagcrisp’s 2:57 post yesterday) in a long time. The same seller has 90% @ spot + $.99/oz. Demand is soft.

Maybe it’s a part of the Kennedy curse.

Oh Sith, if you purposely referred to her as the “Fritz”, I have to agree. She looks like she needs a good refurbishing, or maybe retirement. I’ve seen several navel ships and a few aircraft carriers pulled into our ship channel here for dismemberment.

With gold/silver ratio at 75.2 and rising, it doesn’t look like a very good time to be in silver to me.

33. Old Big Bird says

It looks like the CCAC (Citizen Coin Advisory Committee) also approved of the possible 2019 Apollo 11 set of 4 coins. One of the curved coins would be a $5.00 gold coin. Does anyone know what the weight of that coin would be 1/10,oz (I doubt it) 1/4 oz, 1/2 oz or 1 oz?

I was trying to figure out what the approximate price of the set of 4 would be.

34. cagcrisp says

@ Old Big Bird, ” One of the curved coins would be a $5.00 gold coin. Does anyone know what the weight of that coin would be 1/10,oz (I doubt it) 1/4 oz, 1/2 oz or 1 oz?”

The $5.00 Gold will be the same size as the Current $5.00 Gold Commemorative coins…

35. cagcrisp says

@ Old Big Bird, “I was trying to figure out what the approximate price of the set of 4 would be.”

Keep in mind that the $1.00 5 oz. puck will have a $50 surcharge…

…SO…The Minimum for that item would be $199.99 (IF the Mint doesn’t Increase puck prices (which I Think they Eventually will))…

$35 surcharge for the Gold
    $10 surcharge for the $1.00 Not less than 90% Silver proof
    $5 surcharge for the half dollar
    $50 surcharge for the $1.00 5 oz. .999 Silver puck…

36. You Can't See Me says

@ Old Big Bird, I am curious where you read about a CCAC approved four coin set. The NASA coin program will be a seven coin program, proof and uncirculated half, silver dollar and five dollar along with proof only five ounce silver dollar.

37. You Can't See Me says

The four proofs are not likely to be offered as a set due to the lower mintage of the five ounce coin.

38. cagcrisp says

16SB 2016 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – NIXON 1,626 +4
    16SC 2016 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ – FORD 2,359 +11
    16SD 2016 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – FORD 1,614 +3
    16SE 2016 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ – REAGAN 3,411 +5
    16SF 2016 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – REAGAN 1,885 + 1

45. cagcrisp says

Items that do NOT appear on this weeks numbers with LKS

16P2 2016 PRES $1 UNC SET 55,047
    16PB 2016 PRES $1 CIRC SET (P) 9,717
    16RG 2016 PROOF SET 595,184
    16RH 2016 SILVER PROOF SET 369,849
    XO5 2011 PRES $1 & FS MDL SET – GRANT 7,983

46. cagcrisp says

Once Again the 2017 American Liberty Gold Outsold the 1 oz. Proof and 1 oz. Uncirculated Golds…

47. Tom says

If any of you are into early, rare, and quality gold coinage, Douglas Winter Numismatics has fantastic pieces. I always enjoy his new additions.

48. Louis Golino says

The CCAC, like the CFA a couple weeks ago, only reviewed designs for the reverses of the coins and agreed with the CFA recommendation, which means the Treas. Sec is very likely to go with the same one. The obverse will be selected based on entries in a competition. Neither committee can approve of programs, though the CCAC makes some recommendations, which must then be approved by the Mint or Congress or Treas. Sec. depending on the type of program.

49. Louis Golino says

That competition closes the day after tomorrow (the 29th). Get you submissions in! Too bad I stopped drawing about age 12 though I did have a couple exhibits of my stuff.

50. Sith says

@Dustyroads – No, that was not on purpose. Second time I have done this on this blog., The title does fit, but I’m not sure if its disrespectful. Saying that during my day everyone knew about “The Forest Fire,” and (although not really used in my day)”The Can Opener.”

Sith, Now that you mention it, it does sound disrespectful to me. I should not have gone there. Thanks for bringing it up.

52. data dave says

Received my Liberty Silver Medal this week and I have to say that the Mint went crazy with packaging. I’m thinking I have to leave this out on the coffee table for people to see.

53. Sith says

@Dustyroads – You did not go there, I mistaken did, but saying that humor is a good\common response to tragedy. I remember all the jokes after the Challenger diaster. A lot of people said it was insensitive, but those that worked in disaster situations said its quite common and healthy (on a national level) in the sense that it allows the nation to get past the event.

The Challenger explosion was truly a national disaster. I had just come in from a run I had taken on a new dirt road that I had found, turned on the news and was shocked at what I saw. It seems disasters of that scale are becoming less shocking. Like some others have said elsewhere, I feel like we are living in the 1930’s. That was a time of collectivism which may have peaked around 1943 and which I believe completely reversed itself by 1963 into individualism. It does look like the 1960’s was a party celebrating something new, or a shaking off of something old. I think we’re back in that collectivism stage again, and are getting close to a peak. I have applied coin collecting to this concept and think that what may be happening in terms of low sales, besides some buyers being priced out of the market, is that what used to be appealing, simply is no longing. Just like a bowl of plastic fruit on the kitchen table no longer makes any sense, neither does coin collecting make sense to a lot of people outside of the “storage of wealth” aspect of the bobby…..here in America anyway. The good thing is we are always in transit. The heart of man is in full control of the destiny of our planet. I’m off my stump now…

55. Drew S says

Was able to pick up the 2016 Standing Liberty Gold coin on eBay. Thank you for posting that info yesterday!

56. Joe#2 says

Folks? Just a recommendation please. Which grading company do you prefer???
    NGC or PCGS?

If you buy .999 or .9999 pure gold, Are they safe in the slabs forever???

TIA

Joe#2, They’re both equal in my eyes., but PCGS is still demanding more no the secondary market. It’s been long enough for problems to begin surfacing concerning PCGS’s new slabs and I haven’t seen any issues lately.
    Personally, I’d take a gamble that PCGS has fixed the problem, but I do feel slightly safer putting gold in NGC slabs.

58. Tinto says

Joe#2

I have PCGS which was automatically renewed for this year (w/8 coin voucher option) ….. so I used it. But I was also looking at NGC since a year ago and I was thinking of joining them and not renew with PCGS in 2018.

I think PCGS has different memberships and mine is only for coins, but I see they have others like currency, etc. but you have to join (and pay) up .if I’m wrong here I’d appreciate a feedback thanks …. Also you have to use the voucher in full all at once .. so I had to submit 8 coins …

I was recently looking at NGC again and I think their membership allows me to use the $$ credit (no voucher) in other areas like currency grading. But I want to know if anyone here has NGC and used the credit $$ in more than one category .. coins, currency, conservation… since I have raw currency some of which IMO would be worthwhile to “slab”

TIA

59. John Q. Coinage says

Joe #2 they are ‘kind of” = BUT PCGS has a better market value on most situations. Regardless, make sure the coin is what the holder says, of late IMHo BOTH services are slabbing cleaned coins from the early 19th Century. Although many or most havebeen cleaned, many now are the wrong color or over dipped, yet get a clean label. Some Bu$t Haves now look sanitized in both holders, some “au” coins usually, or some XF with unreal luster….?

60. Tom says

I believe that being a member of ANA still qualifies you to submit to NGC directly. No membership to NGC needed. PCGS requires a “membership” . Depending on what tier you join determines the “free” grading. However, breaking it down per coin, I find NGC to be more collector friendly. As for gold slab, NGC is my preference.

61. cagcrisp says

You can purchase a 2017 Silver Proof Krugerrand from the “Official North American Distributor” for “As Low As”
    $338.70

…OR…

You can buy from APMEX for $329.99

…BUT…

IF you purchase form APMEX you will Not get all those annoying emails from MCM about all the Low Mintage Wonders from all the far reaches of the planet…

62. cagcrisp says

“Silver investment by American buyers is expected to drop sharply in 2017 to its lowest point this decade, according to Metals Focus, which bills itself as “The Independent Precious Metals Consultancy.”

“During 2017, the consultancy predicts retail investment in the U.S. may drop 20 percent from 2016, to an estimated 78 million ounces.”

I can SURE see this happening…

63. cagcrisp says

From Above Link…

“Metals Focus reports its research indicates that dealers say the spot price per troy ounce of silver would have to fall to between $14 and $15 “to help attract retail investors” and drive sales upward.”…

64. data dave says

@cagcrisp – I think that would indeed attract more retail investing from the same people who have been buying for the past 5 years. I think a number of things could attract buying from new market entrants also even without a price drop.

65. cagcrisp says

@data dave , “. I think a number of things could attract buying from new market entrants also even without a price drop.”

Someone better get to implementing those “number of things” from the Mint’s POV…

66. So Krates says

You might get a few bargain hunters to come out at $14-$15 but if you really want to see a boost in retail sales – wait ’till silver breaks $20…. Everyone (and their mother) will want in. No one wants to get left behind

67. Tom says

14- 15 dollar silver is a decent dream. I buy at a decent pace and wouldn’t mind a chance to bring down the cost per oz. How many of us were wheeling and dealing when silver was around 4 bucks and gold at 260..00?

68. Sith says

@So Krates – Momentum traders, you gotta love them. As far as increasing silver sales I will quote Kevin Flynn “Chaos, good news!”

69. KCSO says

Yeah, thanks Xena for the post, Contributions like that make this blog a gem (& great articles, of course)!

70. KCSO says

data dave says – & thanks for the heads-up on the Moby Dick 6- pack (actually 5), that was a 🐳 Of a deal and they look great! Me so happy!

71. KCSO says

cagcrisp says
    JUNE 28, 2017 AT 2:41 PM

$338.70

…OR…

You can buy from APMEX for $329.99

…BUT…

______________________________________________________________________________

This hits on a BIG, BIG, BIG HOT Button of mine.., AND WHY I’m turning a cold shoulder to the coin industry and really channeling the series I collect.

You think, or are not thinking, the U.S. Mint espouses GREED.., this Krug release EPITOMIZES GREED.

A friend asked me a while back, “Hey, cluebag, what would you pay for this Krug stuff?”

Here’s where I was and where I remain –

What am I willing to pay for Krug BU?

KCSO – $29 to $34, THOUGH with a 1 MILLION MINTAGE, I should be able to buy freely at $22 per Krug

What am I willing to pay for proof?

With a mintage of 15,000.., AND 15,000 is A LOT for a Proof – $109 MAX (and that’s being generous)

Ideally $85, or up to $99 (If I’m feeling generous).

The release of the Krug is a bad thing for the hobby, puts the screws to collectors (or shall I say, TAKES ADVANTAGE OF COLLECTORS) like you and I, and will be a NO VALUE ADD purchase in short order.

These are my opinions, and I believe they are 100% accurate.

72. jayjaspersgarage on ebay says

Joe#2

PCGS and PCGS Currency are separate companies requiring separate membership fees. I “belong” to both. I will say that my experience with PCGS Currency was less than stellar when I submitted my voucher notes. At first after complete silence they stated that my membership packet was delayed due to a focus on pushing prior submissions through. I couldn’t help but laugh. So they let the “new” customers languish. Then when it came time to work on my voucher submission it took much longer than the stated turn around. I guess they were focusing on the new memberships by then.

I like PCGS for coins because they are within a short days drive from where I live. The customer service at PCGS is excellent. I have no history with NGC.

73. KCSO says

And by the way, I planned to collect and really like the Four Horsemen by Provident.

It just resonated with me being from KY and former military, I had planned to pick up all Proofs, BU, and CU.

Well, it came to my attention that the Proofs WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE in graded slabs –

Nice – I’m Out – that dog don’t hunt, so screw them and that marketing genius behind that really poor decision.

These guys will learn, when they’re stuff sits for months on the shelf.

Perhaps ‘softness’ in the PM retail market is a good thing? It can only get worse from here on out from the trends I’m seeing..,

Happy Collecting, …Wisely!

74. Tom P. - MA says

@KCSO Not that it makes it right, but the Krug overpricing doesn’t hurt the hobby any more than HSN or newspaper offerings for overpriced coins. It’s doubtful anyone ordering from TV or newspaper ads will ever break even.

I’ve said this before, but like all collectible markets, you’re not going to get followers unless there is some profit involved. Proof set collectors of the 40’s and 50’s made out like bandits. Everyone wanted to get on board. Proof set collectors of the 70’s and 80’s may get face value. A silver Washington quarter collection will get you good money. A 50 state quarter collection will be worth face value for a long, long time.

75. So Krates says

@ joe #2 – I dislike PCGS a little less so went with them last time I submitted coins. If you “join” consider the basic membership which doesn’t include any “free” submissions. The higher membership levels which included a certain amount of submissions didn’t allow coins to be sent in under the modern/economy level ($16?). In my case, after doing the math, it made more sense to go with the basic and pay for each coin.

76. Xena says

Drew S, KSCO – you’re welcome! I was just lucky to be home when an 8% ebucks bonus came in and I had time to poke around. I always look at APMEX when I have bonus bucks since they have a good selction of coins that AREN’T listed as bullion and aren’t marked up over the website price (Soveriegns are a great example). In this case, the SL Gold was listed as bullion, but not complaining!

77. Xena says

KSCO – do you have 2 extra Moby Dicks? I only need 2, and I am way over budget this month because of the SL Gold to buy the 5 pack. Otherwise I’ll just wait it out – I think they’ll come down. And thanks datadave!