William McKinley Presidential Dollar Rolls, Bags & Boxes

mckinley-circToday, February 19, 2013 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin sales of circulating quality 2013 William McKinley Presidential Dollars. These will be available in an assortment of rolls, bags, and boxes with the coins containing either the “P” or “D” mint mark.

The William McKinley Presidential Dollar features a portrait of the former President designed and sculpted by Phebe Hemphill. Inscriptions indicate the order of the Presidency, the years served, and the motto “In God We Trust”. The reverse design of the coin features a rendition of the Statue of Liberty designed and sculpted by Don Everhart with the denomination expressed as “$1”. The date, mint mark, and motto “E Pluribus Unum” appear on the edge of the coin.

rolls

Products available from the US Mint include 25-coin rolls priced at $32.95 each, 100-coin bags priced at $111.95 each, 250-coin boxes priced at $275.95, and 500-coin boxes priced at $550.95 each. These are available from either the Philadelphia or Denver Mint and come in special packaging which indicates the name of the President, mint mark, and face value of the contents.

A standard shipping and handling charge of $4.95 applies to all orders. There is an extra charge of $7.95 for each 500-coin box in addition to the standard charge. As mentioned in the past, this makes it cheaper to order two 250-coin boxes instead of one of the 500-coin boxes.

The US Mint indicates that these products will be available for one year from the initial on-sale date or until inventory has been depleted. Some of the 2012-dated Presidential Dollar products have sold out prior to the one year time frame.

The US Mint has added this note to the product pages starting this year: “United States Mint coins are rolled by an automated machine process and not by hand; thus, we cannot guarantee that the obverse (heads side) or reverse (tails) of a coin will be at either end of a coin roll.”

President William McKinley has appeared on other United States Coins in the past. Both occur within the early commemorative coin series.

1903 Louisiana Purchase Gold Dollar

The first appearance was on the 1903 Louisiana Purchase Exposition Gold Dollar designed by Charles E. Barber. This coin had been issued with two different obverse designs, the other featuring Thomas Jefferson. This coin appearance followed McKinley’s assassination in September 1901.

1917 McKinley Memorial Gold Dollar

The 25th President also appeared on the McKinley Memorial Gold Dollar issued in 1916 and 1917. The obverse design was by Charles Barber and the reverse design by George T. Morgan. The coins were authorized in order to raise funds for the completion of a memorial for the fallen President in Niles, Ohio.

Numismatic Gold Coin Price Decrease Likely

goldBased on the available data, it is likely that the prices for the available United States Mint numismatic gold coin products will be decreased tomorrow.

The average price of gold for the weekly period will likely fall within the $1,600 to $1,649.99 range. This is one tier lower than the range used for the prices currently in effect. As long as the Wednesday PM Fix price is below $1,649.99, then the pricing change would take place.

Prices would be reduced proportionally by $50 for each troy ounce of gold content. Pricing changes are usually made effective around mid-morning on Wednesday. The only gold numismatic products currently available are the proof & uncirculated 2012 First Spouse Gold Coins.

Comments

That was an interesting sidenote on McKinley’s other commemorative coins. I didn’t even know those existed. The 1916-1917 gold dollar is an attractive piece.

The $1 dollar coin to watch this year will be Teddy Roosevelt, I think. He is very popular and I wouldn’t be surprised to see his coins get a spike in sales.

2. george glazener says

You’re quite right. Now that the series is creeping into the 20th century, we ought to see a steady increase in name recognition and collector interest. Just wait until the Warren G. Harding coin hits next year, all records will be shattered…LOL

3. EvilFlipper says

I see way more gold and silver downside. Soon to be followed by the markets a la 2008. Patience. Buy the coins you like when they get cheap.

There will be printing. Interesting times.

4. Im just a bill says

“there will be printing”

one of the reasons McKinley was killed?

President William McKinley was assassinated on September 6 1901.

With McKinley out of the way, the path to the Federal Reserve Act of 1913 was easily paved through agents of the House of Rothschild.

McKinley was a hard money man. Gold and Silver!

5. Frankie says

Off topic – it looks like the Acadia 5oz coin will be pulled soon: “Product will be available for shipping 03/06/2013 “.
    This is usually a sign for a sell-out. Last week’s sales figures were slightly lower than Hawaii with 14,596. A new low? Which eventually will be followed by lower lows and so on…
    Happy collecting everyone!

Thanks for the heads-up, Frankie. 2012 AtBs might well end up being very lucrative given the low sales figures. The numbers Chaco Culture and Denali are even lower than Acadia and Hawaii.

I wonder which one will be the next to sell out?

7. Frankie says

I was lucky in a stupid way as I missed to order the Hawaii pucks but the day they went off-sale I got 3 SP70 incl. OGP for $285 each delivered. Phew…!
    Luckily I ordered all the 2012 P pucks already and won’t add more as the bullion are much nicer imho.

8. Michael in Bama says

My guess is that the 2012-P Denali 5oz production was during SS Sandy. I think it will be the lowest when all are sold.

Fosnock,

Believe me, I’ve been watching. White Mountain was supposed to come this month but it doesn’t look like that’s happening. The mint has denied it’s due to the silver shortage and I believe the explanation they gave was due to an internal debate about how many to produce (someone correct me if I am wrong, please).

I am hoping we’ll see some movement next month or April at the latest. I definitely don’t want to have to wait until June for the AtBs like last year and have all my purchases get crammed together.

10. Kip Caven says

I dont think the Mint even knows what they are doing-
    1st 5oz ATB was supposed to be last week i believe-
    Theyre just goofy

11. Rod says

I agree with “Michael in Bama” that the Denali 2012-P will be the lowest 5 oz. production to date. So three questions:

1. Will the Denali 2012-P remain the lowest, or will several future years yield “P” and maybe even bullion ATB 5 oz. with lower mintages?
    2. Which UNC FS will have the lowest mintage for the entire series; one of the 2012’s and if so which one?
    3. Which Proof FS will have the lowest mintage for the entire series; one of the 2012’s or one of the future years?

12. Dan says

Hi Rod

As far as the unc FS coins go, Alice is out of the running for low mintage. Lucy is apparently lowest with an unrevised number of 2243. Lucretia is the question, she was at 1973 at last report before going backordered and in that week she had unrevised orders of 525 to a total 2495. Question is at this point how many of those last orders were filled. With the 12’s all coming out so close together, I would almost think that the same number may have been minted for all. Guess we will have to see when the first one sells out. Just my 2 cents.but I thinbk the lows of 2011 will hold for another year.

13. Zaz says

The Mint will probably spring the White Mountain bullion with little warning as what happened with El Yunque NF last May. It appeared at AMPEX first in early May as a pre-order, and it’ll probably be that kind of crammed schedule again, with playing a waiting game for the first few months of the year. Side note, Acadia and Denali bullion suddenly acquired significant premiums, interesting. Finally bought the last two bullion coins of 2012, Chaco & Acadia this past week. Even with weak sales, low demand, the bullion of 2012 is increasingly hard to find.

14. EvilFlipper says

The mint is buying time. I’m sure they have “futures” traders and advisors tellin them the potential for more downside is big. I wouldn’t want to sell into falling margins. They’re waffling. I don’t blame them. They don’t want to sell silver or gold they paid a high price for in a market they can’t justify the margins in.

15. merryxmasmrscrooge says

What we don’t watch is the yen is down from 75 to 94 to the dollar and sliding.
    Dudes, this is historical about 20% change in a mere 6 mos. (1986, 300 Yen = $1) With the value of the dollar increasing, I would anticipate the stock market going up, silver and gold going down even if we have a mild recession this yr.

Another UHR $20. AGE produced by the mint this year would be nice, and less than 10,000 total would be great.

MXMS: A rallying market is what all investors have been waiting for, they’re making money, but I think we all should think twice about this warm fuzzy feeling we’re all having now. There’s still a long row to hoe.

I’ll bet Dan’s right regarding the FS Unc coins. The lows of 2011 will likely hold for now. The tight release schedule for the 2012’s most likely did result in all of their mintages being comparable. Since there was around a year of future sales period remaining for them at the time the decision had to be made, I would guess that 4,000 proofs and 3,000 uncs were probably minted for each design. That seemed to be the level that was used for the first two 2011’s. I figure the reason that the final reported sales figures for those are slightly lower than that is due to returned coins that were deemed unsellable by the Mint and destroyed. While I’m confident that the Mint DOES re-sell some returned coins with very minor blemishes visible under magnification only, those with unsightly gouges or scratches visible to the naked eye are most likely written off as unsellable and melted.

18. HistoryStudent says

@ Brad

So it is. The US Mint adjusts to the demand they “think” they’ll have that’s why so many coins went belly-up even this at low mintages.

As far as the FIRST SPOUSES they don’t see any demand. This economic time is so like 2008, only worse. WE had that trick recession then, then QE whatever, for a inflationary printing, another few QE whip-saws, and now a tricky velocity depression. They will be printing to assist the folks. The mother of all QEs is about to hit. Forget the helicopters, send in the BEN flying fortresses.

This year will be very interesting to say the least. We’ll see infamy made in the low mintages.

19. Leo S. says

All

The Mint is repricing the gold as I type. With gold down another $25 today, will another drop be in the future next week. Maybe the FS coins will be more affordable soon.

20. Leo S. says

Just read an article on CoinNews.net that said that the Mint will be changing its pricing guidelines and coming out with a new grid. They will drop the price but raise the premium on gold and silver. Sounds like we will be screwed no matter what happens to gold prices.

21. EvilFlipper says

Wow….. This is so like 2008. Market keeps going up no matter how bad the news, until it doesn’t. What’s scary this time is that there’s no QE they can do that hasn’t been done already. Interest rates can’t go lower than zero!
    When collateral gets called gold and silver and oil will get sold hard. But paper will be worthless as no one will be able to accurately value it.
    Coins will have a huge premium. Collectible coins will keep a good value. That doesn’t mean they’ll stay at lofty prices but they won’t be as close to zero as a lot of stocks and bonds will get.
    Any ideas for US Mint strategy to deal with this?

22. fosnock says

@Ohio Rick From what I read they did lower the prices the new rates will go into effect next week

23. fosnock says

CO,

With the mint still allocating I doubt it will beat Feb 2011 but 10 million is a given, unless they sell out again

Fosnock,

I agree on 2011, I don’t think it’s going to get quite that high. I think we will still have a good month, though.

Just saw that CoinNews article myself. The salient points, copied and pasted:

this year’s one-ounce proof American Gold Eagle will have a premium that amounts to $40 more than last year’s issue,
    the uncirculated American Gold Eagle rises $47,
    the proof American Gold Buffalo jumps $80 and
    the proof American Platinum Eagle advances $58-$108, with Eagle prices changed based on $50 movements in platinum instead of the $100 increments that are used now

I think this is pretty ridiculous. Are they actually trying to drive sales down?

My sister owns a frame shop, I still can’t get over her high prices, but her employees hardly have a moment to take a break. Just food for thought.

Rod,

In my opinion it’s unlikely. A good case in point is what happens to Perth Mint gold coins after release. A number of their releases such as the 2012 colored dragon gold coins dropped in value almost the moment they reached the secondary markets. APMEX was continually reducing prices on the coins because they could not sell them due to the ridiculous premiums. In the case of high priced silver products such as the one kilo gemstone eye coin, the same thing tends to happen.

This is also a frequent phenomena with the UK Royal Mint’s coins.

So in my opinion there is a good chance common, high premium US gold coins could lose premium when they hit the secondary markets.

With that being said, we’re also in an era of new lows, so I would expect the latest “new low” to pop on eBay until the next new low shows up. After that initial pop I think you’ll see prices for a given coin settle out to something more reasonable.

27. fosnock says

CO,

Trying to capitalize on the increased sales and defer the increased costs of minting without depending on the manipulated (in my opinion) spot price