Yellowstone National Park Quarter Launch Ceremony

The US Mint has announced the details of the release ceremony for the second coin of the America the Beautiful Quarters series featuring Yellowstone National Park.
The release ceremony will be held on June 3, 2010 at 10:30 AM Mountain Time, behind the Old Faithful Inn at Yellowstone National Park. The inn is located adjacent to the Old Faithful Geyser, which is depicted on the reverse design of the quarter.

The ceremony takes place two days after the circulation release date for the Yellowstone Quarter, which is set for June 1, 2010. The US Mint will also begin sales of numismatic bags and rolls of the Yellowstone National Park Quarter on this date.

Similar to prior launch ceremonies, attendees will have the opportunity to exchange currency for rolls of Yellowstone National Park Quarters at face value. The quarters will be from the Denver Mint and carry the “D” mint mark. The coin exchange will have a minimum of one roll and a maximum of ten rolls for each pass through the line. A pictorial postal cancellation designed by Chuck Taylor will also be available.

As a change from prior ceremonies, the US Mint will not be holding a coin collector’s forum prior to the launch ceremony.

Coverage of the event should also be available on Coin Update. You can read coverage of the previous Hot Springs National Park Quarter launch ceremony and coin exchange.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Since I live in Denver, I may try to go out to Yellowstone to see it in person.

2. Anonymous says

Not interested in these yet. Waiting for comments from those who buy the proof versions.

3. Aureus says

Is it just me, or do the coins have a rough, sort of granular surface to them? Is that typical for this year?

(This may have been mentioned before, I don't know.)

4. Anonymous says

Mike check your article title on this one "Yellowstone". Lord knows my spelling is bad, but someone will mention it to you.

5. JA says

Is it me or has the enthusiasm behind the release of these coins already start to die down?

The fact there will be no forum sort of indicates less of a celebration.

6. JA says

You would think there ought to be a way to get these into the public's hands as soon as possible.

Why is there no 'limited time' availability of these rolls from banks or elsewhere to encourage adoption and collection of these coins?

Unfortunately, unless you attend the ceremony you are going to miss out. Your other choice is to buy on Fee-Bay but that will come at a premium. Finally, going to your bank is not always the best choice since they admit they do not order coins the way they can order Presidential coins. So they are stuck with whatever mixed coins they are provided.

7. Anonymous says

Any idea when the Mint going to provide updated mintage figures on the America the Beautiful Quarter series? I'm curious to know the final tally on the Hot Springs design. I'm guessing it came in even lower than the Northern Mariana Islands, especially Denver. It might be in the neighborhood of 27-28 million.

8. Anonymous says

You would be $$'s ahead to buy off feeBay or the Mint than going to the launch ceremony. Isn't it $20 to get into the Park?

9. Anonymous says

The entrance fee for Yellowstone appears to be $25 for a private, non-commercial vehicle. I had not considered an entrace fee being a factor, which was kind of dumb of me, I guess. It doesn't change my decision to go, but it is a drag having to pay it. Any way to milk more money out of us, I guess.

My primary purpose for going to the ceremony is not to try to make money off of the rolls. I've always wanted to go to Yellowstone, and I figure this is a good time since I should be able to recoup some of the costs of the trip by selling some rolls. I won't be able to make any money above the cost of the trip though, that's for certain. The value of cancelled ceremony rolls seems to fall off a cliff after about the first week following! Buyers won't even pay you enough to recoup the face value of the coins by the time you pay the seller fees and postage! I'll end up losing the value of the postage stamps I put on them to cancel if I have to rip open my remaining Hot Springs rolls and spend them at face!

10. Bruce says

I attended the Hot Springs open ceremony looking for someone that attended the Yellowstone I will trade one or two of my post marked Hot Springs rolls for one or two of yours I also have th opening money brochure.